As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War] Immortal Empires arrives in August 23rd! Southlands Showdown Awaits!

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Empire was ambition over ability. I'd still rate it as probably the most ambitious of all the total war titles for the sheer number of things it attempted to do.

You had the introduction of gunpowder units as standard, which needed a new engine to model them. Derivatives of that engine have been used for every TW since.
    It introduced full naval combat.
    It had a world map broken down into several distinct theaters, linked by trade routes.
    Trade routes themselves had to be managed and could be blockaded.
    The battles featured deployable equiptment, dismountable troops and occupiable buildings.
    It had a new territory system with minor towns etc.
    Diplomacy was also quite different to most preceding total war games from what I remember.

Basically they tried to do an absolute ton of stuff, but a lot of it was buggy or poorly thought out and the AI couldn't handle a good part of it. I'd love to see them try again with the same level of ambition and more time to perfect it.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I still want my Pike and Shot Total War game. Especially based around the 30 years war.

And give me another Medieval game!

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Just saying... there's plenty of pikes and powder in Warhammer.

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    I still want my Pike and Shot Total War game. Especially based around the 30 years war.

And give me another Medieval game!

I would murder for a pike and shot TW. 30 Years War, English Civil War, the conflicts between Valois and Habsburg and Ottoman, Siege of Malta, battle of Lepanto stuff...... The phasing out of the renaissance and the start of the modern era...... The last push of the winged hussars and the jannisaries.... That whole epoch is SO perfect for a TW game but the audience is probably too small for it to be a full game, might be one of their Saga games.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    That_Guy wrote: »

True, but they don’t really fight and operate in the manner of historical pike and shot armies (not really the goal of Warhammer, after all).

Total War revisiting Empire or a new Pike and Shot game would be rad to me, some of my favorite periods but as noted Empire didn’t really work out great.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    And that's my Sisters campaign done

reKycjU.png

"Close Victory" actually isn't completely a lie this time as I was just about out of ammo. On the other hand, the allied forces never even hit the field because I finished this so fast, so...

Think I'm finally done with every campaign I care to for TWW2. I still haven't done a TK campaign and feel no great urge to and I never bothered finishing a Lizardmen campaign but this is good enough.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

True, but they don’t really fight and operate in the manner of historical pike and shot armies (not really the goal of Warhammer, after all).

Total War revisiting Empire or a new Pike and Shot game would be rad to me, some of my favorite periods but as noted Empire didn’t really work out great.

Next you’re going to tell me walking Galleons with cannon hands aren’t historically accurate

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Next you’re going to tell me walking Galleons with cannon hands aren’t historically accurate

I would never disabuse you of such a wonderful conception of history.

Speaking of remakes, I would really love a Shogun 1 remake (unless they did this and I have missed it.) Shogun 1 certainly had some rough edges but it still has my favorite army movement system for a total war game.

• Options
    I don't know if this is common knowledge or just jem of info but

I was watching a Legend of Total War stream a while back and he was talking about how you can bribe the faction leaders with ridiculous sums of money to confederate, even if the chance is low to start. I decided to test that last night in my Rakarth campaign. I had confederated Morathi with a like, 50k. Malekith was being stubborn. So I started sacking my way across lustria and former empire lands (briefly occupied by Sylvania before I took them) I had built up about 600,000 gold. It took all 600k to get him to confederate.

• Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    I really wish they would make a new Empire TW game set in the 19th/early 20th century. Basically have up to WW1 tech.

• Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    I play total war on very hard/very hard, but I think I am going to start playing on very hard/hard. I've noticed the leadership bonuses and melee bonuses for the AI have gotten way out of whack at that level. Skavenslaves should not die to the man against Saurus. Maybe go legendary/hard. Hmmmm

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    the higher the difficulty level goes the worse if favors ranged, in a game that already favors ranged

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Finally started a Rakarth campaign. Vortex. First fight in that is surprisingly brutal, but the auto-resolve gives an easy win and actually fighting it allows the enemy to run away and replenish while auto-resolving just kills them. So took the W and smooth sailing since then.

Was slightly worried when pretty much everyone on Ulthuan declared war on me, but I stomped Tyrion under a Mammoth, stole Tor Yvress while Eltharion attempted to snipe my Black Ark, and Allarielle hand-delivered the Sword of Khaine to me. Have Rakarth on Bracchus and got the skill that gives Kharybdiss frost breath and Hydras abyssal howl just in time to get a Kharybdiss from a ship wreck. Figure I’ll take the northern Ulthuan gate to secure my north expanse, then descend down the donut to Lothern to take out Tyrion who I’m sure is rebuilding.

Rakarth is real fun! Finally a Dark Elf lord I care about!

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    Malekith is such a dick. We were both at war with Skullcrusherz/whatevarzz and Rictus and of course the second those two are wiped out he turns on me. Alarielle went mad after getting the sword of khaine so of course she lost to Tyrion and Eltharion after the Gaen Vail is razed in a scripted event. Now Tyrion is eyeing my forest with one of his armies. He's at like 120 relations but won't agree to NA or DA.

I knew I should have blown up Morathi to help out Alith Anar then fucked up Malekiths shit before he got rolling but I hate fighting in Naggaroth and Tretch had other ideas. The maps are shit, the dark elfs are shit*, the last second confederations are shit, the chaos invasion's shit, the attrition's shit, the glare off the snow is shit. Naggaroth is shit. I guess Wood Elfs have ways of dealing with the attrition (if they're even affected) and can get a siege attacker RoR pretty easy but it's still Naggaroth.

Might take a break and do a hundred Gotreks campaign to cool off. Or maybe play Drycha instead.

100 Gotreks!

Warhammer 3 better hurry up so I never have to invade that shitty place again... for at least 3 months.

*to fight in Naggaroth. They're fun to play as and the other lords are fine. It's just really fighting Malekith or Helebron that push my buttons.

• Options
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular

In the lore I believe that the Tilean and Estalian armies are very much a "Pike and Shot" core, plus a menagerie of colorful mercenaries including Ogres, Hobgoblins and a lot of other crazy bullshit that I really hope makes it into Warhammer 3 as a "Dogs of War" DLC.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Small patch for Warhammer 2:
    Giant Wolves are no longer missing from Drycha’s Wild Spirits pool
    Rakarth’s Whip no longer jumps back to it’s original location when he is selected
    Skaven victory conditions have been tweaked to accommodate the changes to Skaven Corruption
    Black Dragons no longer use mismatched textures
    Condemned Lizardmen armies no longer gain Blood Voyage buffs
    Lohkir’s unique Black Ark no longer increases Supply Lines.

Once I'm done burning Naggaroth* to the ground with Alith Anar again Lohkir pirate campaign is next.

*I couldn't help it. Shadow units are too good to pass up.

Let assassins kill lords at sea though. Been chasing Rakarth around forever hoping he'd land somewhere for that sweet gold and influence.

danx on
  • Options
    Just fought a battle where the enemy sallied out from a siege of a walled settlement. I killed all but two of their garrison units yet they got all their units back right away without breaking the siege. That's bollocks.

Never seen that before. The garrison usually stays damaged until the siege is lifted. :(

• Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    Did they change the way forced march and underway travel works? Now if I use force march the following turn I have only ~half movement available, there's a small penalty for underway travel as well. Is this just an orc thing? Or one of my million mods?

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Ardol wrote: »
    Did they change the way forced march and underway travel works? Now if I use force march the following turn I have only ~half movement available, there's a small penalty for underway travel as well. Is this just an orc thing? Or one of my million mods?

Could be a mod. The only thing that will effect your movement in the next turn is an agent successfully slowing your general/lord down

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Did an enemy agent use an action on you while you were in march stance? There's always been some weirdness with those interacting and reloading the auto usually fixes it.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    It has taken me MONTHS, but I finally won my campaign as Drycha. Being locked into a war against Reikland early in the game was devastating and heavily prevented me from taking other trees. Then when I could take the tree in the High Elf lands them coming and killing me off it was hugely debilitating. I fought back though and eventually won the short victory condition.

Fuck the long victory condition there. There are literally only the Empire, Bretonnia and High Elves left. I'm not getting in the middle of that mess.

Edit: 262 turns!

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Did an enemy agent use an action on you while you were in march stance? There's always been some weirdness with those interacting and reloading the auto usually fixes it.

Nah, no agents and it's consistent. I'm almost done with this Ahzag campaign so I'll see if it affects other factions after. I have *checks mod manager* 110 mods active?? (some are multi part mods) so probably one of them although nothing jumps out at me.

Also the bug with garrisons instant refreshing is annoying!

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    2 leaked TW3 designs

almost CSM looking khorne boi

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    2 leaked TW3 designs

Yeah they are like a backpack away from being world eaters.

• Options
    Bethryn wrote: »

Nah, no agents and it's consistent. I'm almost done with this Ahzag campaign so I'll see if it affects other factions after. I have *checks mod manager* 110 mods active?? (some are multi part mods) so probably one of them although nothing jumps out at me.

Also the bug with garrisons instant refreshing is annoying!

Orcs get a global reduced movement during Whhhaaggs

• Options
    edited April 2021
    2 leaked TW3 designs

They are from Age of Sigmar and ironically, they are frequently used to make CSM that look much more suitable for a Khorne army. The most common conversion by far is to combine them with the Khorne Berserker kit to make proper non-goofy looking Khornie bois.

Edit: I wonder if Total War III will be the equivalent of the End Times at this point. It's so good to finally have Chaos Daemons in the game. They've been a huge gap in the chaos roster.

Also now that I am done with Drycha, what should I play next? I have finished a Dark Elf campaign before Drycha, so I'm open to suggestions. I like Mortal Empires the most and haven't played anyone else so far.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Clan Skryre is fun

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    2 leaked TW3 designs

Skullcrushers have always looked like that.

I don't know if I'd say they're leaked: they were posted to ArtStation by one of the artists who worked on the trailer. (Sebastian Deredas. Here are links to the Keeper of Secret bust and the Skullcrusher (minus Juggernaut).

(They also posted images of some of the Kislevites.)

• Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    2 leaked TW3 designs

They are from Age of Sigmar and ironically, they are frequently used to make CSM that look much more suitable for a Khorne army. The most common conversion by far is to combine them with the Khorne Berserker kit to make proper non-goofy looking Khornie bois.

Edit: I wonder if Total War III will be the equivalent of the End Times at this point. It's so good to finally have Chaos Daemons in the game. They've been a huge gap in the chaos roster.

Also now that I am done with Drycha, what should I play next? I have finished a Dark Elf campaign before Drycha, so I'm open to suggestions. I like Mortal Empires the most and haven't played anyone else so far.

The Skaven DLC campaigns are all very strong choices, Tomb Kings are very neat and different, Count Noctilus provides a rather interesting starting point and campaign, Grom’s mechanics are rather cool.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Clan Skryre is fun

I was just about to say this. I sacked Tobaro for about six turns, abandoned Skavenblight and then retook it at level 4. Had catapults and globadiers by like turn 15 and am just steamrolling dudes.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Clan Eshin has a really fun campaign. At the start it looks like it's going to be a slog due to some of the factions you have to destroy, but it all mysteriously works out in the end.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Yeah, Deathmaster Snikch is just a lot of damn fun. Tons of ambushes; not totally fair, but definitely fun!

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Using the assassin contracts and the evolving roster as you do favors for the various clans is really neat as well.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I should note that I am terrible at playing skryre, even though I enjoy them

• Options
    It looks like it's time to return to my second ever Warhammer army (in tabletop) and go Skaven then.

I have been looking forward to blowing people up with artillery.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    skaven artillery isn't that widespread compared to the empire, but they got warpguns

empire is actually pretty cool when you get out your artillery and grenade launcher skirmishers and tanks

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    A Skryre gun line with workshop upgrades is absolutely insane. Like I can take out half or more of an army before they even get in archer range.

Sieges are a slog though.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Deadfall wrote: »
    A Skryre gun line with workshop upgrades is absolutely insane. Like I can take out half or more of an army before they even get in archer range.

Sieges are a slog though.

The new mortars make sieges trivial

• Options
    If you want to focus on gun-lines and artillery, Skryer is definitely the army to use. Eshin is much more focused on skirmishers while Moulder is of course focused around throwing monsters at your problems.

This discussion has been closed.