Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Stompybots? Stompybots. STOMPYBOTS! MW5 on Steam NOW!

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Nips wrote: »
    Oh man, I just built a Phoenix Hawk with two Light Rifles and a trio of Small Lasers. Plus jump jets and full armor.

Speed to close on fools for Zap Zap Zap, with a wicked Kaboom for opening up sections? So good.

Rifles are so weird. They're supposed to be low-tech, and they've got the cycle time and ballistic drop to reinforce that, but they hit like damn trucks anyway. I don't know if I understand the balance there, outside of maybe lower DPS than traditional Autocannons?

Ok, I so need to watch your game since I have no idea how you are getting so much good stuff already. Either that or I need to restart my game.

Well, now that everyone's mentioning it, I only just started seeing Rifles and the like in the Black Markets after someone, who shall remain nameless, dropped the DLC in my lap. I had a random rifle and chem laser from early on in my vanilla game, that never saw any ammo anywhere, so bugs might be to blame there.

As for a Phoenix Hawk? Lucky salvage a few missions back. I'm now 16 hours in according to Steam, with half that time in vanilla and the other half with the DLC installed. I'm tooling around on the FedSuns/Combine Border, and my missions are roughly Difficulty 13-20 depending on the particulars.

I'm hereabouts (spoilers for lolhuge):
    4E57A9274B50F4F1027CABD82DFD4AA5217E49C4

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Oh man, I just built a Phoenix Hawk with two Light Rifles and a trio of Small Lasers. Plus jump jets and full armor.

Speed to close on fools for Zap Zap Zap, with a wicked Kaboom for opening up sections? So good.

Rifles are so weird. They're supposed to be low-tech, and they've got the cycle time and ballistic drop to reinforce that, but they hit like damn trucks anyway. I don't know if I understand the balance there, outside of maybe lower DPS than traditional Autocannons?

Ok, I so need to watch your game since I have no idea how you are getting so much good stuff already. Either that or I need to restart my game.

Well, now that everyone's mentioning it, I only just started seeing Rifles and the like in the Black Markets after someone, who shall remain nameless, dropped the DLC in my lap. I had a random rifle and chem laser from early on in my vanilla game, that never saw any ammo anywhere, so bugs might be to blame there.

As for a Phoenix Hawk? Lucky salvage a few missions back. I'm now 16 hours in according to Steam, with half that time in vanilla and the other half with the DLC installed. I'm tooling around on the FedSuns/Combine Border, and my missions are roughly Difficulty 13-20 depending on the particulars.

Hmm, ok, so it might be more because you've played a whole lot more than I have. I also made a big mistake by trying to keep more than 8 mechs fully equipped and repaired at all times. Which means I've been running out of money lately.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Futzing around with mechdb and assumed weights I think the LR,LL,ML build for the WHM-6R will fit, but I’m unsure how hot it’ll be, will have to test when I go to lunch

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

Hmm, ok, so it might be more because you've played a whole lot more than I have. I also made a big mistake by trying to keep more than 8 mechs fully equipped and repaired at all times. Which means I've been running out of money lately.

What rep are you and are you running missions in on level conflict zones?

I generally prioritize one or two factions to run missions for so I can maximize negotiation points. Dump all my points into money then put the leftovers in salvage. Maybe 1 into insurance if I think I'm gonna take some damage. I'll always take an airstrike on demo missions. Immediately sell any mechs I salvage that I don't want to keep, repairing doesn't bring in enough extra money to bother.

I'm rep 9 and getting a decent multi mission Davion (maxed rep) run easily nets 4+ million and like 30+ salvage per mission.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Carpy wrote: »

What rep are you and are you running missions in on level conflict zones?

I generally prioritize one or two factions to run missions for so I can maximize negotiation points. Dump all my points into money then put the leftovers in salvage. Maybe 1 into insurance if I think I'm gonna take some damage. I'll always take an airstrike on demo missions. Immediately sell any mechs I salvage that I don't want to keep, repairing doesn't bring in enough extra money to bother.

I'm rep 9 and getting a decent multi mission Davion (maxed rep) run easily nets 4+ million and like 30+ salvage per mission.

Sadly I really was not paying attention to that. I think I'm decent rep with someone but forget which. Oh duh, I should go sell off those useless Cicadas. Thanks for the reminder. Think I'm like rep 8 or 9 now? I'll have to go look after I finish the MWO event. Just farming damage now and some matches are quick while others are painfully slow.

Edit: Had my first jerk in a long time. They wiped us out but one guy decided to run and shut down for the entire match. Then taunted the other team (which some of them had no idea you couldn't see Coords when they shut down).

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    In retrospect I should've realized this sooner, but if you pick Rasalhague the game starts in 3035 instead of 3015.

I am not sure why that caught me off guard.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Ok, so loaded up my game and I'm Rep 7. Started paying attention to the "friend/foe" zones and now bounce between the two to do missions and for cheaper repairs. That saved me a lot of money. Also getting a bit better running mediums than I used to so hoofing it in my Vindicator (still sorta sucks) with LL, SRM4, ML and SL. Think I might swap back to my Commando since I had more fun running super fast and leaving my team to shoot with the bigger mechs.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »
    So. Battletech.

BEX or RT, and why?

BEX because RT looks at the "everything but the kitchen sink" approach and goes "nah not enough" and builds a second kitchen to throw that in too.

Yeah, I've seen some RT screenshots and it's like "When did they add vibro-claws to the Atlas II Clan variant?"

And then I realized I was looking at an Atlas II Clan variant.

And that it had Endo Steel Armor in some spots and FF Armor in others

And was carrying a shotgun as an alternate fire weapon

But yeah I haven't done career mode, just campaign, and it sounds like RT is primarily a super-suped up Career mode, whereas BEX still works with Campaign, so there's that at least.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    RT is for the player that wanted more of the tabletop rules in BT but then decided that the tabletop rules weren't tabletoppy enough.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I'd like BEX with just the extra mechs and without the rules changes

Losing control of your dudes is not fun, stop making me lose control of my dudes

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I finally found a clan ER PPC platform that I like, and it's the MCII-B that we got in the April event.
    Turns out that it's pretty good with 2xERPPCs and 2xUAC20s. ERPPCs are good for long range poking and the UAC20s will fuck up anyone that tries to push you (and they're pretty heat effective). Just don't try to shoot the UACs and the ERPPCs at the same time.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    I finally found a clan ER PPC platform that I like, and it's the MCII-B that we got in the April event.
    Turns out that it's pretty good with 2xERPPCs and 2xUAC20s. ERPPCs are good for long range poking and the UAC20s will fuck up anyone that tries to push you (and they're pretty heat effective). Just don't try to shoot the UACs and the ERPPCs at the same time.

I saw someone running a similar build earlier today. Think mine is the meta 2xUAC5, 2xUAC10 build since I wanted it to be the all dakka.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I've seen UAC/10 + ERPPC, but not UAC/20s, interesting

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Nobody wrote: »
    I've seen UAC/10 + ERPPC, but not UAC/20s, interesting

It's probably not a great build if you want to use your UACs to greatest effect. UAC20s and ERPPCs have very different ranges and the build is both hot, short on ammo and you can't fire the UACs at the same time (unless you have a lot of spare heat to handle the ghostheat).
    But if you want to farm ERPPC damage and go "Do you really want to get close to me? Really?" with a 80 damage over 2 seconds whenever someone tries to push you... it's good. I've done 5 games now with an average of 600+ damage (Typically Half PPC, half UAC)

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    MW5: After everybody's help here I managed to now have 3 mediums and 1 light on my drops. The latest mech I managed to pick up is the all medium laser Hunchback which made my life so much easier (of course I'm running it now). Did the previous campaign mission which I was failing at with ease and now I'm onto the next one. Tried to only leg a Phoenix Hawk, but my team cored it too fast. Now I'm beginning to have some fun in the game and almost bought an AC10 Hunchback to fill out my lance, but resisted to get my next mech as salvage.

Edit: Fixed error.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    My main lance is now up to:

MAD-3R (LB-10X, 2xSB LL, 2xML)
    BLR-1P (2xLight Rifle, 5xML, ECM, AP)
    2xAWS-8Q (3xPPC)

Backup mechs are the Onion, ARC-2R, 2xBLK-7-KNT (one in cold storage), and the WHM-6R

Finding assaults has been somewhat frustrating. Both Awesomes and the Battlemaster were bought.

• Options
    I suddenly want MW5 RogueTech. That would be weird.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    I'd like BEX with just the extra mechs and without the rules changes

Losing control of your dudes is not fun, stop making me lose control of my dudes

You can remove individual sub-pieces of the mod, so you can get rid of that if you want. I turned off the stupid fatigue thing as it sucks ass in the early game.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I love one shot tapping a mech with the double gaus. Its hilarious "mech identified." "Mech destroyed" though swear to god fucking banshees do not go down, I've blown every god damn bit off of one and it was like a terminator it felt no remorse, it didn't feel pain, it just wanted to blow up components.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So, criticisms of Mechwarrior 5 aren't new. Hell, I've been very critical of the game since it launched on Epic. But holy crap...I think I've read the worst take on the game yet. Now, it might very well be because those of us here are used to playing Mechwarrior games since 1995 or earlier, but when one of the major complaints is the inaccessibility of the game because movement is de-linked from camera direction, I just can't take this "review" seriously.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    So. Battletech.

BEX or RT, and why?

BTA 3062. It's basically RT without the sadism.

Compared to BEX and Revised, it has more mechs and tech, more control over your career starting conditions, even better AI, MechEngineer, more interesting pilot skills, more initiative phases, and combat rules that are both more flexible and grognardy.

The improved AI is a big highlight for me. It's both smarter and less annoying than BEX's, though at the cost of some per-turn performance. To keep combat from dragging, I turn off, "Additional Lances" in its Mission Control mod, which keeps it from flinging a zillion reinforcements at you.

Its career start is also great. I've beaten the base game every way I care to. Now when I play BT, I usually want to skip the six game months of the lights/mediums and get straight to playing Salvage Pokemon with heavies and assaults, and BTA has an option for that (and even the capability for creating your career start configuration).

• Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    So, criticisms of Mechwarrior 5 aren't new. Hell, I've been very critical of the game since it launched on Epic. But holy crap...I think I've read the worst take on the game yet. Now, it might very well be because those of us here are used to playing Mechwarrior games since 1995 or earlier, but when one of the major complaints is the inaccessibility of the game because movement is de-linked from camera direction, I just can't take this "review" seriously.

The comments pointed it all out to the "Reviewer". I do love how he admits he kept on mentioning throughout the article that he didn't play it much, basically saying, "I really didn't want to write this, but I got paid for it so here is something that will get lots of clicks."

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Just got another Beachhead mission where one of the defenders pulled a disappearing act, so I couldn't progress the mission. Sigh.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Did a defense with 35 attackers, that thing took forever. The baby woke up 3/4ths of the way through it so I also got the added excitement racing the Xbox auto shutoff to see if I could feed them and get them back to sleep first.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    So after some market hunting, I managed to find a STK-3FB.

I have to suggest this if you see one, buy it. It's a Stalker with an ECM hardpoint (comes with Guardian) and comes stock with 7 double heat sinks. I ended up setting mine up with 2xLRM-15 and 2xPPC.

I also managed to find an AS7-D on the market.

So....now my lance is AS7-D (Gauss, 4xML, 2xSRM-6), STK-3FB (2xLRM-15, 2xPPC), 2xAWS-8Q (3xPPC)

I don't bother going for cockpit hits because 8 PPCs going off on the same target makes that kind of targeting difficult.

Nobody on
  • Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    Just got another Beachhead mission where one of the defenders pulled a disappearing act, so I couldn't progress the mission. Sigh.

Just remember, restarting the mission won't fix that. Loading the save going into the mission will, as that rerolls all the variables.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Two things:

1. Nothing in MW5 will beat the feeling of going all Kool-Aid through a wall into the back or side of a smaller mech with an Atlas. Nothing else has that feel.
    2. I have an Annihilator (ANH-1A) now. Ho Ho Ho.
    4xLB-10X Solid, 4xSL for now, may drop to 2xML for better anti-air. Also considering swapping to 4xUAC/5

Nobody on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So, I also have two things:

1) I finished a multi-section "Story" quest chain that ended with me getting a certain 70t heavy mech. Said heavy mech has a bunch of missile hardpoints. Have you ever seen, in MW5, what 32 tier 3 (average) SRMs will do to a mech? It's pretty gross being able to one-tap an assault mech if you can slip in behind them.
    and 2) RNG gods smiled down upon me tonight. Found a Cyclops Sleipnir for a cool 27mil cbills. I still had 13mil after buying it. Made one hop over into a conflict zone kinda nearby that just happened to have a black market in it that, as luck would have it, had 4 tier 4 heavy rifles. So now, that Sleipnir is kitted out with: 3x tier 3 short-burst medium lasers, a tier 3 SRM4 (1t ammo), twin heavy rifles with 3t ammo for each, and enough heat sinks to keep the whole thing able to fire everything indefinitely.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    I will say that I just can’t see using the Annie for anything outside of Defense, Warzone, maybe Demolition. It’s just too slow for the maps with 3 km between objectives like Beachhead, Assassination, and Raid.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I have finally managed to acquire some assaults through the mech market.

But I also ran some missions where my SRM22 Kintaro solo’d a pair of Victors that got dropped into the middle of the town I was fighting.

So my max tonnage drop now looks like a Victor, Zeus, and 2x Orion

Everyone is kitted out with AC10, SRM and Medium Lasers, except the Victor which I put a BF-AC20 on, which was hard to get used to but I really like it now.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Got annoyed with how slow Battlemech CE (aka BEX) is, so switched to Mechwarrior 5 Career mode. Picked that one not-great house, the blatant hint that a clan invasion DLC is coming.

Jesus, I hate Phoenix Hawks.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    fokbmjs4m0qa.png
    Was looking at the achievments just yesterday and wondering what a beta strike would be. The description was hidden before it unlocked, y'know.
    Wasn't even a called shot, just pure luck.

• Options
    Me in MWO today
    "Yes! I did 550 damage with my Clan SRM6+As"
    "No! It doesn't count as Clan SRM6 damage!"

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    I suddenly want MW5 RogueTech. That would be weird.

There kind of is a mod for it but it removes a lot of the gameplay structure because

1) lategame missions are dumb hard in order to account for how dumb good you can make your mechs and so encourage a LOT of cheese
    2) The cheese is really bad. Inferno SRM's just down mechs permanently and so you more or less have to shut down enemy lances to kill them without taking too much damage

3) this is personal. But because any mech can more or less fit anything finding mechs becomes a lot less of a deal.

Anyway. I still love me some MW5 and the expansion has some nice updates but...

I am disappointed by SSRM's again. They go to an enemy much too fast and so you cannot shoot them around corners. This severely limits my SSRM-8 BAP trebuchet even though its otherwise awesome.

MASC is wonderful and the Hero Dragon is amazing as a result. 120 KPH and an AC/20 with max armor on a 60 tonne mech? Why thank you may i have another?

Also, why yes. I will trade this KTO-20 sitting in my hold for a tier 5 gauss rifle and 5 million c-bills why do you ask?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Me in MWO today

Yeah, that was a painful lesson for me to learn as well. Which is why I ended up with a 6SRM6 Linebacker.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I'm now at the point in MW5 where DHS is available in almost every hub.

I also decided to swap my ANH-1A to 4xUAC/5, 4xML
    Mostly because after a whirlwind trip of the Inner Sphere, I didn't find any King Crabs or Marauder IIs, but I did find an ANH-1X and that comes with 4xLB-10 standard.

Quad UAC/5 is a nasty thing in this game.

• Options
    Me in MWO today

Yeah, that was a painful lesson for me to learn as well. Which is why I ended up with a 6SRM6 Linebacker.

Decided to temporarily convert my Vulture to 6xERSL+6xCSRM6 and finished the SRM6 requirement in 3 rounds. Although that experience definitely made me realize how worth it Artemis is on SRM6s. While you can strip a marauder of its torso armor in seconds (with your 25 DPS) I'd rather chew a lot deeper into one of the sidetorsos than spread the damage all over a mech if I'm going to get that close.

• Options
    Me in MWO today

Decided to temporarily convert my Vulture to 6xERSL+6xCSRM6 and finished the SRM6 requirement in 3 rounds. Although that experience definitely made me realize how worth it Artemis is on SRM6s. While you can strip a marauder of its torso armor in seconds (with your 25 DPS) I'd rather chew a lot deeper into one of the sidetorsos than spread the damage all over a mech if I'm going to get that close.

Yeah, after I ran my Linebacker I remembered why I love Art in 6s. I forgot about my Vulture (Mad Dog) and really should pull that thing out of mothballs.

MW5: I have now put in 11 hours in the game and have to say that this game is now what I was hoping for when I played it last summer on Gamepass. Everything feels good about the game. Explosion damage doesn't hurt nearly as much (from mechs blowing up, gas pipes, and tanks), too many vehicles spawning out of nowhere (I appreciate the patrols yelling on all comms that they spotted you), and it being easier to find mechs to upgrade your mech bays. I even love the salvage you find on drops and has me running around the map looking for them now. So yeah, I have to give PGI credit where it is due. There are some things I would like to see them fix, but at least I can at least enjoy playing stompy bots by myself if I want to.

I still love MWO for the human pilots more than the AI in this game (two missions I literally stood outside of a town blasting away the enemy Hunchback that walked back and forth in the entrance) even if some of them are just as bad as the AI.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I will say that one of the more amusing things going on at this point is that a hub will announce rare equipment for sale.

It’s a double heat sink, for the low low price of 30k!

Right above it is a stack of 4 double heat sinks for sale at 12k each.

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Just finished a match in my MRM20x3 Wolverine, doing more damage than the rest of my team combined (~1020) It appeared that a Pirate's Bane successfully pestered my team enough to let the enemy march past me and right through the rest of my team, while I sandblasted them from behind, getting 2 kills and 3 KMDD. We lost something like 5-12.