As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Stompybots? Stompybots. STOMPYBOTS! MW5 on Steam NOW!

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Big old oof. Battletech:

Hostile primary lance: Atlas, King Crab, two heavies that I don't remember.

Hostile secondary lance, sitting well back and content to artillery from long range: two Awesome 8T's (LRM 30), 2 Archers (LRM 30, LRM 40).

Me: sitting face down in the dirt as one of my mechs gets pummeled by LRMs each turn.

No losses or lost limbs (somehow) but 3 out of 4 mechs walked out with with some rather beat up armor and structure.

That is a brutal OpFor.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »

Mmmm, 100-tonner with an Axe.

That's never not deliciously terrifying.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

Hatamoto-chi with sword. Hanzo steel.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

That's very close to my birthday.

Maybe I'm just out of the loop but do we know what's all in it?

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    A bit: definitely

A: some new mechs and variants. (Including a hatchetman)
    B: melee weapons like swords and axes

C: probably a quest chain.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

That's very close to my birthday.

Maybe I'm just out of the loop but do we know what's all in it?

https://mw5mercs.com/dlc/call-to-arms

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I feel like MRMs, especially inside optimal range, should be good against lights. Like just a sawed off the everything
    Yes and no. Hitting moving Lights anywhere near the max optimal range (what, 550m?) requires some godlike leading skills I personally do not possess, but even at close range MRMs are primarily a sandblast weapon, unlikely to leg them unless they've already taken damage prior.
    There's a reason I pair my MRM boat with two lasers, without that I kept getting killed by mechs that were dark red but having lost zero components in the exchange.

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Looks like they majorly changed up the Viper events? Gone is the "Win one Conquest match" for example. More "Earn 150 match score" things. Oh well. I like Conquest, as it actually makes matches feel different than a 12v12 deathmatch.

• Options
    The event condition wasn’t triggering. There were multiple reports of it not working so they just switched it to something that did work

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Tales from the PTS:

First event queue item was mediums only, but 50% more armor.

Second is assaults only, but double speed. Apparently it is amazing

Nobody on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I feel like MRMs, especially inside optimal range, should be good against lights. Like just a sawed off the everything

e: also how the HELL did nobody make a "sawed off" LB-X?!

MRMs are terrible at killing lights. First of all, they are projectiles, so can be dodged or you might miss due to a sudden juke. Second of all, they have a big spread, so you don't focus any damage on any particular part. Third of all, they have a big spread, so even if you're dead on target half the missiles might fly right past them.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Oh I forgot ranges don't properly mirror tt. I was thinking, like, inside ~270m

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Tales from the PTS:

At this point, they should just drive MWO straight into PsuedoTech and give up the pretense of being Serious Business.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Tales from the PTS:

At this point, they should just drive MWO straight into PsuedoTech and give up the pretense of being Serious Business.

This is the event queue thing, not going to hit regular modes like QP or Faction

• Options
    Tales from the PTS:

This is the event queue thing, not going to hit regular modes like QP or Faction

Oh, I know. I stand by what I said.

• Options
    Ok so a CDA-X5 with a MASK II, a 330XL engine, a Gyro Agility mod, and Anchor Turn II is dumb.

I'm playing a different game because the controls suddenly became virtually FPS-like.

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Tales from the PTS:

On one hand, I am all in for weirdo modes.
    On the other, there are not a ton of people still playing.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Boy, Attack And Defend missions are still a slog

Look at this shit

look at it

9ca1zb4tzomr.png

23 mechs and 4 turrets killed by my lance. About 1/3 each mediums, heavies, and assaults.

I ran myself dry on all ballistic ammo, and most LRMs. I'm using the Awesome as a dedicated LRM boat and at least it managed to not run out, but everyone else fired their guns till they were dry.

The Restoration couldn't even afford to send a helping lance or power up a few turrets

At least they pay well

Orca on
  • Options

Look at this shit

look at it

9ca1zb4tzomr.png

23 mechs and 4 turrets killed by my lance. About 1/3 each mediums, heavies, and assaults.

I ran myself dry on all ballistic ammo, and most LRMs. I'm using the Awesome as a dedicated LRM boat and at least it managed to not run out, but everyone else fired their guns till they were dry.

The Restoration couldn't even afford to send a helping lance or power up a few turrets

At least they pay well

ngl that's one of the reasons I ended up stopping with Battletech.

Oh, so it's my lance vs six other lances? Again?

• Options

Look at this shit

look at it

9ca1zb4tzomr.png

At least they pay well

ngl that's one of the reasons I ended up stopping with Battletech.

Oh, so it's my lance vs six other lances? Again?

My answer is to just avoid Attack and Defend missions until I've at least got a stable of heavies and feel like I can tackle 5 lances since demonstrably I'll have to.

The targeting missions are the ones that were super frustrating to me before they rebalanced them. Now it's not too bad, and at worst you get one that requires you to use mediums to complete it successfully, and you can look at the map on turn one to decide if it's one of those.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    They also did heavily nerf the Attack and Defend missions by spreading out the hostile lance arrivals

Back in the good old days it was like...you get the attacking lance and defending lance on the ground, and then additional lances show up at IIRC 3 turn intervals starting from turn 1

So you needed to kill at least one mech per turn or get drowned in metal

These days the first reinforcement lance didn't drop until 9(?) turns out and then it was at 3 turn intervals. You have a chance to dig out before the reinforcements drop, and if you were to make a beeline for the base you could meaningfully stop the reinforcements if you want to. Back in the good old days stopping the reinforcements was essentially impossible because they'd be on the ground so quickly and you needed all your mechs just to avoid getting smashed.

Orca on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    How is Mech warrior 5?

Does it play well on the PS4 Pro?

zepherin on
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    You’re gonna hear wildly differing opinions on Mechwarrior 5 as a game. I think the middle ground is that the mechs are fucking awesome; huge variety, excellent models, and are fun to pilot. The downside is that the missions are almost universally randomly generated and the production values in general are low, with a somewhat wonky economy.

I find the game runs well enough on the Xbox series x, but I don’t know how the PS4 pro compares; maybe look at other similar comparisons to get an idea.

At the very least, it’s priced well, and if it hooks you there’s a lot to do in the game.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Also you can cross play all the DLC (though you don’t get the ability to like… see the map) if your MP partner has them. Which is super nice.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    MW5 is a perfectly serviceable stompy robot game. The DLCs and mods take it to the next level but YMMV

• Options
    I will say don't specifically buy it for multiplayer.

The multiplayer works but they either kinda half-assed the implementation or made some very puzzling choices that make it feel like they half-assed it.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Looks like Mechwarrior 5 is on sale right now and there's a VR mod for it. Anybody played with that? I'd love me some VR stompy bot action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zwbzsMnFfE

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Vox Machina is probably better on the V-implimention side of things, since the game was designed around it rather than being a bolt-on. (seriously you do coms by grabbing the mech's radio and shit, it's great). That said I've heard good things about the MW5 VR mod. The game itself is mostly random mission stuff and is the first MW game in...ever? I've been "meh wait for big sale" on

• Options
    One problem I've run into with YAML is that once your rep gets high enough there are so many weapons

Every time I think I'm doing ok funds-wise and open up the store in an industrial hub it's like welp, now I'm fuckin' broke again :tongue:

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Vox Machina is probably better on the V-implimention side of things, since the game was designed around it rather than being a bolt-on. (seriously you do coms by grabbing the mech's radio and shit, it's great). That said I've heard good things about the MW5 VR mod. The game itself is mostly random mission stuff and is the first MW game in...ever? I've been "meh wait for big sale" on

The only thing that's kept me from trying the VRWarrior mod is that it doesn't currently work in the non-Mech portions of the game. I play with prescription inserts because my vision is terribad, so I'd have to take the headset off and put my glasses back on whenever I wasn't in a mission. Admittedly a minor hassle, but still kind of a hassle for me.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Upcoming map updates for MWO

TLDR:
    Map updates listed below are all coming in June:
    • Vitric Forge tileset QP map is getting pushed back
    • Caustic Valley is getting another slight rework to remove the fog, add cover for spawn points, and add stuff to the middle
    • Viridian Bog will have the floating trees/rocks removed and Theta point moved further out into the lily pads.
    • Tourmaline Skirmish spawn points changed to match Assault & Conquest.

• Options
    Apparently MRMs are the answer to the question "What if a missile launcher went brrrrrrrrrrrr"

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Apparently MRMs are the answer to the question "What if a missile launcher went brrrrrrrrrrrr"

No sorry this is "missiles go brrrrrrrrr"
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=7mNWybex0u4

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Yeah I tried Vox a while ago and ended up refunding because it was multiplayer only and there was never anyone playing. Looks like they've added a single player campaign, I'll definitely have to give it another shot because the aesthetics and feel were pretty great. Might hold off on MW5 for a bigger sale, 33% off is nice but maybe it'll go 50% during the summer sale. Hmm.

• Options
    Vox Machinae

Vox Machina is an adventuring group :tongue:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    MWO Skill tree need to know items

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUHg1AO1ua0

TLDR/TLDW:
    01 - Your old skill trees will still work.
    02 - When you click the Skills tab to change your Skills We lock orphaned nodes and return the skill points to that 'Mech.
    03 - You can select or deselect a whole tree to make skilling a 'Mech easier.
    04 - We reduced the cost of Skill Points.
    05 - Everyone gets 5 GSP per mech they own.

Nobody on
  • Options
    And here's the patch notes

*Event queue
    *New skill tree
    *New mech specific quirk and skill display
    *New Platinum packs
    *Roughneck quirk pass
    *Updates to several previous quirk passes
    *Weapon updates
    *IS Targeting computer buffs
    *Highlander HM no longer has JJ shake
    *Target Spotted life reduced
    *Several bug fixes.

• Options
    Is it weird that I'm intrigued enough by the changes to want to dip back in? All of that seems wild.

• Options
    I apparently hadn't played the campaign in a long time and it looks like they finally gave Victoria headshot immunity.

A good choice, TBH. Makes her actually a deadly juggernaut between the deadly close-range armament and those added abilities to really bring the pain.