Options

[Overwatch 2] OWCS's First Major Begins Friday 2:00 PM ET

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Paris dropped Daan, Vestola, Dridro, and Kaan. August 18th (Thursday!) is the last day they can sign with a new team.

Supposedly there is more of this coming very soon (Washington presumably).

Edit: False alarm, the deadline thing is not for free agents to sign with a team. So the players can still find a new place (although I doubt many of them do).

SirToasty on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, unless they somehow had a fair amount of advanced warning and the green light to start looking for new teams ahead of the official announcement, that is a supremely shitty thing to do. And also more than a little self-destructive in terms of a smooth transition to a new group of players.

• Options
    Ok Yiska clarified that the 18th is not a signing deadline. Players can still be signed. I was riding the Reddit rage wave. My bad.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Releasing them after the 18th would've been much worse. Any player on a team on the 18th can't play for any other team for the rest of the season. It's a super shitty rule.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Paris signings are coming in.

Krawi, Malthel, Rakattack, and Lukemino.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    rakattack and lukemino's a promising support line, dunno about the others

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Ehhhhhhhh

They probably don't win another match.

Edit: Halo says Kaan to London

SirToasty on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Yeah after the thrashing they took against Vancouver, without some kind of major roster shift it's hard to imagine a scenario where they make up any serious ground.

• Options
    Washington moves are happening. Boston has bought out Mag. Great pickup for them. Punk was solid but never elite.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Sounds like a great deal for Mag, mechanically he's always been good but Washington's strats for actually using him have been baffling at best. Huge opportunity for him to escape.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    His Queen is really good too.

• Options
    I wonder if he's an upgrade in this meta. Punk looked pretty good on JQ.

• Options
    I thought Mag looked elite on her. Plus, if things go back to Winston/Rein then they're golden.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Justice traded Vigilante to Atlanta.

They're also finalizing a trade for Happy to another team, according to Yiska. Popular speculation is Gladiators since Patiphan is out for the stage with a wrist injury which is why they've been playing Shu on Sojourn.

Edit: Happy to Glads is confirmed by Washington themselves.

Edit: Washington are keeping everyone else and signing a staff member as their 6th "player". Like they actually just openly said that's what they were doing. League probably isn't in position to fight that despite it being an obvious loophole of the rule.

Anyway, Decay, Assassin, Kalios, Opener, Krillin still isn't as bad a team as what was rumored. Adjust preds accordingly.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    I wouldn't have guessed either of those moves. Happy kind of makes sense with Patiphan injured, but they still have Ans (Happy's admittedly probably a slight upgrade). And I guess Atlanta just wanted a second flex support?

• Options
    Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    So they sent out "Thank you for playing the beta" emails, and it had this little bit in the watchpoint pack advertisement part: "and 2,000 OW2 Virtual Currency that you can put towards future OW2 Premium Battle Passes or in-game cosmetics (Season 1-3 Premium Battle Passes will be purchasable for 1,000 Virtual Currency each)."

I might just be reading to much into that, but it could mean the price will go up when PVE stuff starts getting included. And season 4 is April 11th, so possibly no PVE until then.

Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • Options
    They might have various packages with and without PvE or something. Who knows! I would expect to pay more for a battlepass that also had PvE.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    My assume-the-best take is that they just have locked in for certain what they want the first 3 seasons to cost but want to leave the door open for any adjustments when they see how the game and content flow is looking overall. It's possible later seasons will cost more, or they'll stay the same, I don't think this leans too much one way or the other (although obviously as a player I'd love it if they were willing to come out and commit to one price for the foreseeable future).

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    If I've learned anything about Blizzard, it's that they refuse to commit to saying anything unless it's 100% definitely something they are going to do.

• Options
    Also VAN/NYXL
    👀👀👀

• Options
    Feast or famine for my preds. I either got the scoreline exactly right or I totally whiffed.

• Options
    My only miss was the van/nyxl game. I know Vancouver looked good last week, but my gut had me lean toward New York.

Vancouver looking pretty nasty at this point.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i changed my van/nyxl pred at the last minute, blah

still a decent first day

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    I picked Vancouver, but I thought it would go to five maps.

I just listened to the most recent Play Chat this morning where they were arguing over whether to put NYXL 3rd, 4th, or 5th in their power rankings. Pretty funny now.

• Options
    yeah I love Avast but he is like the definition of recency bias. nobody should ever value his power rankings for anything ever.

• Options
    I think he has some good thoughts most of the time but then he also just makes some of the wall assertions that really make you go ???.

I do agree with his take that power rankings should weigh recent matches heavily. That's the whole idea behind a power ranking.

• Options
    SEO/CHD
    well chengdu got utterly rolled and smoked, but the first map was fun at least

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Well, that's an interesting... bug? (Dunno if it's something that gets set manually and it's just a mistake/experiment). Spark vs Dragons is currently using home colors for both teams so it's pink vs red and quite difficult to tell them apart at a quick glance.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    they used home v home colors for games yesterday too, in an effort to get around the unreadable white-on-white team names

e: and they're back to home and away now

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    This Valiant lineup. Sickos.png

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    they used home v home colors for games yesterday too, in an effort to get around the unreadable white-on-white team names

e: and they're back to home and away now

Thank God. It was awful. Even when it wasn't just white on white there several away versions where the YouTube compression made it unreadable anyway.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    3 whiffs today but 3 out of 4 correct ones were perfect, including the double pointer.

• Options
    Only 2 wrong today, but only 1 perfect. Thankfully, it was the double pointer. It's currently a three way tie for first.

• Options
    APAC gonna APAC

• Options
    Yup got both my preds wrong in pretty spectacular fashion, but that's APAC for ya, baby!

• Options
    Maybe I should just be George Costanza for my APAC picks.

• Options
    Missed the pred for today's final game but I imagine that's true for a lot of folks, and got perfect preds for the other two which kinda makes up for it.

Unfortunately I also picked the Glads as one of my crystal ball picks, and while I'm not sure if they've technically been eliminated already, things aren't looking great for them this tourney.

• Options
    I'm willing to bet everyone in this thread chose Glads as a crystal ball pick. Why wouldn't you? On paper, they should be great in this meta.

• Options
    Yeah two of my crystal ball picks are shitting bricks right now. The other two are white hot.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Houston have traded Ir15 to Seoul for Creative.

Surprise!

SirToasty on