Options

[Overwatch 2] OWCS's First Major Begins Friday 2:00 PM ET

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    ...Why? Like, I think those two players are pretty comparable. I don't see what either team gets out of it.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    My guess is it's likely a salary thing primarily. I bet Houston is trying to shed some salary without crippling their backline. Seoul improves very sightly I think.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Spilo, a former assistant coach for London (very recently dropped to make budgetary space for Kaan) did an AMA yesterday and it's an interesting and informative read.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiveoverwatch/comments/wv0koj/spilo_ama/

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Last night in mystery heroes I had a very weird thing happen to me, where as Tracer I got hit by a flashbang and like 6 seconds later I stupidly blinked off the edge and it counted as the flashbang killing me instead of an SD. I was kinda salty because I'd almost killed the cowboy and that way entirely a self own that he shouldn't have gotten credit for since my feet had been on the ground for a good long time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fully half the games we played tonight were exactly 8:29.
    dmpag272jgsd.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I was feeling pretty good about this week's predictions so far, got all of APAC right with 4/5 perfect preds, 4/6 in West

then I checked our leaderboard and saw @Tofystedeth's score

Jesus christ dude, you're murdering us

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    yeah tofy rocketed up right at the start of the weekend (presumably from calling the reign spitfire game)

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Yeah. It was super close before this weekend and now Tofystedeth has a solid lead. It's gotta be almost all perfect preds.

• Options
    Lol that's a nice change from the dead last I've been most season.

For reference, my Summer Showdown rank in the global board is 957 but it's over 6600 for the season.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm getting wrecked today. 0-2 so far...

• Options
    Had a rough start to the NA matches this week but got back on track for the most part. 1-3 day 1, 2-3 day 2, 3-3 day 3. Only missed one APAC game all week. Still haven't gained any ground on Misc.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I ended up 6-1 in APAC and 7-2 in West with a decent smattering of perfect preds, but bungling that ATL/LON game is really biting me in the ass

• Options
    It looks like I only missed 2 matches across East and West, though unfortunately one was the double point match for East.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Boston released head coach Lori. Will Crimzo and Punk see play time now? I don't necessarily think that Punk is better than Mag (or substantially worse for that matter) but Crimzo I think is definitely better than MCD.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    They also might work better as a team with Punk.

• Options
    We'll, it's official. Three of the top five teams from Midseason Madness have been eliminated from the Summer Showdown. Also, two of the worst teams from the rest of the year are in it. What a weird tournament...

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    So do I put Vancouver or Houston over the top in my first elimination match...

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    You have Houston losing to Florida "Double Flex Support" Mayhem? Bold prediction.

• Options
    You have Houston losing to Florida "Double Flex Support" Mayhem? Bold prediction.

I am having a mighty struggle between believing Houston always fucks up and the massive differential in strength demonstrated this tournament between them and Florida.

• Options
    If we've learned anything, it's that any game is Houstonable.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fair. Houston is the Fusion of NA. Every game is winnable and loseable at the same time.

• Options
    I could not commit to Florida over Houston but I did commit to Toronto over London.

• Options
    I can totally see Toronto beating London just because they're both terminally inconsistent teams, and in theory Toronto should have the hometown buff.

• Options
    Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    Remember that Playstation Blog post that had a line about the season pass giving early access to new heroes, and then that bit was removed?

The description for the Watchpoint Pack was updated today to this:
    The home base of your new gameplay experience!
    The pack includes the following Overwatch® 2 in-game content: Season 1 Premium Battle Pass, 7 Legendary skins (including 2 all-new Space Raider skins), 5 Epic skins and 2000 Overwatch Coins.

With the Season One Premium Battle Pass you can unlock over 80 tiers of rewards including Mythic Cyber Demon Genji, Legendary Hinotori Kiriko, and more. In addition, as a Season One Premium Battle Pass owner you will automatically receive access to Overwatch’s latest hero Kiriko!
    Includes instant access to Overwatch Legendary Edition.

And then the part about Kiriko was removed a few hours later.

It caused enough of a buzz that Jon Spector felt the need to clarify:

So immediate access to new heroes if you pay for the battle pass, and everyone else gets access at some point in the free track of the battle pass. As I suspected. I guess we'll have to wait and see how much grinding it ends up being for the free method.

Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    If it's like, a 2 week difference, I'm not that worked up. I'd prefer it otherwise but it's gonna be a f2p game and that's a pretty obvious way to make money. Especially if new heroes aren't immediately unlocked in competitive anyway.

If it turns into a situation where like, you can't play the meta for two months because you don't have the cash to unlock the new meta hero... That seems like it's obviously gonna be a bit of a problem.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    DAL/WAS through 2 maps
    DECAY ON LAN

• Options
    Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    Phew, my bracket is safe (for now).

Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    There's a leaked semi-finished fox girl trailer out there in the wilds of reddit, for those interested

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Kana wrote: »
    There's a leaked semi-finished fox girl trailer out there in the wilds of reddit, for those interested

Despite being an unfinished short (also in Spanish), it's very cool. We get a peak at a few of her other abilities (also a name confirmation). Sucks that the animators' work got leaked before it could be shown off as intended but it's got me very hyped and I'm excited to watch it once it's ready.

Not quite caught up on games but so far the trend seems to be this: Play Ashe -> Lose

SirToasty on
  • Options
    Day 1 of preds looking good at 4/4 - London/Toronto was the only real toss-up in my mind, and imagine my surprise when I checked the pickems page and discovered I'd picked right! I totally thought I'd gone the other way, so that was a nice treat.

Only one perfect sadly, with the last two scorelines being flipped from what I expected.

• Options
    Well, that was disappointingly one-sided. Hopefully, whatever changes they make to JQ opens the meta way up.

• Options
    Played last night and walking forward is still a low-skill and viable strategy.

https://youtu.be/qlZlE4eZ6Bc

• Options
    Pressing W very underrated

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Kiriko | New Hero Gameplay Trailer | Overwatch 2: https://youtu.be/_Uc-kExqwd4
    4utr8d6lxzn91.jpg

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited September 2022
  • Options
    Also NoHill left Valiant LOL

• Options
    With the cost of a premium battle pass finally revealed, it seems to me the Watchpoint pack is a waste of money. You're basically paying $10 USD for two skins that are...fine? Cassidy and 76 already have some great skins, so I couldn't see myself ever using them.

• Options
    With the cost of a premium battle pass finally revealed, it seems to me the Watchpoint pack is a waste of money. You're basically paying $10 USD for two skins that are...fine? Cassidy and 76 already have some great skins, so I couldn't see myself ever using them.

Depends on if you valued getting to play the last beta right away was worth it. Since that's not a thing anymore then the value is definitely worse. Personally, 2 skins and getting to play the beta was worth $10 to me but I definitely understand that not being the case for everyone.

• Options
    Kiriko looks like she could easily become my go-to Support main, but I hate total invulnerability as a concept in Overwatch (outside of ultimates), so I wouldn't mind at all if that got turned into just some kind of extreme defense boost instead (same thing I wish they'd do with Bap)