Options

[Overwatch 2] OWCS's First Major Begins Friday 2:00 PM ET

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    We don't need leaderboards because you can assume I'm at the top.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Well timed top of page.

Similarly, because I didn't want to deal with trying to log in on my phone, especially since if it needs it, my authenticator is hundreds of miles away, so I'm sitting pretty at 0 points.

We've now established first and last place.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Who did everyone pick to advance to the stage tournament? I went safe with Dallas and Glads in NA but I probably should have looked at Atlanta's schedule cause it is soft. They already look ridiculously good. I think they will probably beat Washington and have a good shot at beating Glads but also they get Vancouver and London. They could definitely go 6-0.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    yeah I picked Dallas and Glads, Atlanta is probably a better pick in retrospect but if Dallas doesn't get their shit together it might be a moot point anyway.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    The Toilet Bowl lives up to the tripe.

One of few matches I would recommend not watching.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I didn't pick anyone to advance to the stage tournament which is why its so incredible I'm still on top.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    The Toilet Bowl lives up to the tripe.

One of few matches I would recommend not watching.

Spoiler since technically talking about a match winner.
    That was a double bummer because a) I thought Vancouver looked stronger on day one so I went with them, and b) good lord what a stinker of a match. A lot of times people will talk about how a match felt closer than the scoreline would indicate, but somehow this one felt like even worse than a 3-0, if that's possible.

• Options
    Shock's record speed shutout of Florida from a few years ago looked closer.

• Options
    Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    My fucking power has gone out 5 6 7 times in the last hour, I just wanna watch some OWL, please.

Rock Lobster! on
    Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • Options
    FLA/PAR
    Florida bringing the fun even if they did something against the rules. Refs are generous to just have them redo it. I thought it was hilarious that they teased the maneuver again before winning the fight straight up with the same comp.

• Options
    FLA/PAR
    Florida bringing the fun even if they did something against the rules. Refs are generous to just have them redo it. I thought it was hilarious that they teased the maneuver again before winning the fight straight up with the same comp.

I haven't been able to watch much of anything cause I'm visiting family. So I'm curious
    How did they manage to break the rules in a way the game allows? One of the benefits of eSports is usually the rules are whatever the games rules are.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    FLA/PAR

I haven't been able to watch much of anything cause I'm visiting family. So I'm curious
    How did they manage to break the rules in a way the game allows? One of the benefits of eSports is usually the rules are whatever the games rules are.
    Certain exploits are not allowed in OWL, specifically things having to do with sliding roofs (for example, roof stalling as Doomfist). In this case, they used a Mei wall to place a teleporter on the roof of Circuit Royal to go over the top (it's done infrequently in ranked on Eichenwalde).

The map played out (presumably while rules were confirmed and enforcement was decided) then the map was reset with Paris' progress recreated and Florida redid their attack.

They came out on the same comp and placed a Mei wall up there again just as a little jab but ran a legitimate tp strat to win the fight anyway and went ion to win the map and eventually the match.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    Ah neat. I don't think I've ever encountered such a situation in any of the OWL games I've seen.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ah neat. I don't think I've ever encountered such a situation in any of the OWL games I've seen.

I think this is the first time it's come up. Probably because most teams generally knew the rules.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    London feels like they're gonna be the western chungdu this season. Ok talent, live in their own meta which strictly speaking is suboptimal but which they can steal wins with thanks to being real good at it and other teams not scrimming against it much.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    I don't think they look particularly good at their niche. Chengdu at least had some skill at their unusual positions. Backbone's Genji was dire. Hadi still hasn't unbound charge and decent teams are going to abuse him. They won that match cause False might be the worst tank in the league by a lot.

• Options
    What an absolute wild swing of matches today.

London/Vancouver
    I'm not really a huge fan of relegation but it might be a good idea to get both of these teams off the screen. Nobody wants to watch that garbage. 0/10 breadsticks

Paris/Florida
    Oooh drama! Florida coaches trying to say they didn't know and that the rule is vague, meanwhile Dpei calls it out as illegal as soon as it happens on Avast's co-stream and multiple other teams alerted the league about it. Yeah maybe things would be more fun if you could do it but also just read the rulebook and ask some questions if you think there's a problem. Man I'd love to get paid to not do my job. 7/10 gators

Dallas/Washington
    Dallas is back, baby. 7/10 Sp9rk1es

Houston/Toronto
    Houston riding high after whipping their rivals. Toronto in the dumps after getting smashed by Washington. I love me some parity. The Heese is officially leese, Muze does his best one man rendition of Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and Finale pulls the curtain closed. 9/10 poutines

• Options
    Doing my pickems for next week and man there are just way too many "I have no idea what this game is gonna look like" matches for comfort

Hopefully that means some exciting games, but I weep for the future of my predictions

(ended up with 24 points this week, for the record. three wrong picks and only a few perfect preds, coulda been better but coulda been worse)

• Options
    I'm sitting at 24 points as well. 3 whiffs, 4 perfect scores.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    jn5h3ve1fkhv.png

my streak also ended today, but i'm at 25 B)

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I'm also at 24 points. All my perfect picks were in the first two days.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Baidol and I are playing OW2 if anyone wants to jump in

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Guangzhou have signed Farway1987 who was released from Chengdu. Hard to say if this is an upgrade over Molly since we haven't seen him in 2 years but that kinda makes me lean towards yes.

Now if they could snag Apr1ta they'd rocket up the power rankings.

• Options
    I don't know how much rocketing they'd do. It would put them firmly above Valiant and maaaaybe Spark (Hangzhou's roster is stacked, but that was the case last year, too)?

• Options
    Apr1ta is probably the best Chinese DPS outside of Leave and Shy. Considering their best player, Choisehwan, is injured right now, Apr1ta is a massive upgrade to their DPS line. When Choi comes back they get even better. Choi's Genji is filthy. Last year they forced Genji when he wasn't meta and Choi was still getting serious work done with him. Apr1ta covers hitscan and they can both play Tracer.

Spark gets a lot of credit for having an entirely dysfunctional roster in my opinion and now they have a head coach famous for not knowing how to manage the talent on his roster. I don't have high hopes for them at all.

• Options
    I definitely agree that we should assume Spark won't even come close to making the most of their roster. Like I said, they had a stacked roster last year, too, and still did poorly.

I just think the top 4 of APAC are pretty locked in and you'd need a star at every position to break into it.

• Options
    I'm not really convinced by Philly but I also am not familiar with the T1 players they promoted.

I also think there's a possibility that Chengdu drops a bit, mainly because of the lack of Rui. Full time Jinmu with no Rui could be rough for them.

• Options
    Okay, my very nearly entirely random pickems have been picked

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/23801626/overwatch-2-pvp-beta-week-2-developer-blog/

oh hey we got another dev update from the beta

and they address mercy's super jump

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Alright which one of you is the secret Blizzard mole?

• Options
    Vancouver picked up MirroR.

I wonder if he'll be playing tank, rather than DPS. False didn't have a great showing last week...

• Options
    edited May 2022
    If the only thing he plays is Doomfist then he's a huge upgrade. False looked abysmal.

Edit: he's in on Genji to start. Also an upgrade over Seicoe.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    New beta balance patch! Mercy Super Jump, Bap Regen Burst adjustments, Sojourn primary fire buffs!
    HERO UPDATES

BAPTISTE

Regenerative Burst
    This change helps reinforce Baptiste as a Support hero that can save allies in clutch moments. This new functionality is intended to synergize with Immortality Field, allowing for faster recovery after saving his allies (or himself!) from imminent danger

Now heals for 50 instantly and 50 over time, instead of 100 over time. Additionally, the instant heal portion will be doubled on targets that are 50% or lower health. (Please note that we are aware of an issue where this ability is not updated on the hero information screen)**
    No longer heals Baptiste for double

MERCY

Guardian Angel
    This is an initial implementation of new functionality designed to give Mercy players more options in how they use Guardian Angel. Some Mercy players were already able to do similar boosts by using a somewhat complicated technique often referred to as ‘Super jump’. This new functionality will allow all players to more consistently perform similar boosts, while the original technique is still there and remains untouched.

In some ways this new cancel boost is even stronger than the original technique, since players are able to do this at any time rather than requiring them to be near their target. This is just an initial implementation and we’re eager to get feedback on how to improve it.

Can now also be canceled by using the crouch key. If this key is used to cancel the ability, Mercy will be launched high into the air.

SOJOURN

Railgun
    Sojourn has been a little weak since her initial addition to the roster. While this change doesn’t seem huge, increasing her rate of fire increases her alternate fire charge rate and ultimate gain, as well as purely increasing her primary fire’s raw DPS.

Whenever a weapon’s rate of fire changes, it also changes how quickly the weapon will drain its magazine and run out of ammo. We’re increasing her ammo count to compensate for this.

Railgun primary rate of fire increased from 13 to 15 shots-per-second
    Railgun maximum ammo increased from 40 to 45

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/patch-notes/beta

EDIT: According to random redditors, the new super jump is not as effective as the old way. So we've got better accessibility to the tech but there's still room to hone the old version and get more out of it. I didn't really consider that as an option before and I think it's a great choice.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    If the only thing he plays is Doomfist then he's a huge upgrade. False looked abysmal.

Edit: he's in on Genji to start. Also an upgrade over Seicoe.

He's definitely an upgrade over Seicoe, but at this point he looks like a band-aid on a bullet wound, unfortunately

• Options
    Re: Balance patch - adding a lower skill floor for super jump while keeping the higher-skill nuances so it's not a binary ability is definitely the best choice, and I really love Sojourn's overall design so I'm glad to see her getting some love. I don't think she needs any tweaks to her core kit, so just upping damage potential seems like the right call for now. Baptiste is kinda whatever to me, he's off-meta right now but I still really don't like immortality field so I won't be sad if he sits out for a while.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    WASHINGTON IS SO HARD TO PREDICT!

Edit: Unless...is Washington good now?

No no. That can't be it.

But maybe...

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    Kinda cool how quickly the meta has gone from 'Doomfist is great' to 'Doomfist can work' to 'Doomfist gets countered pretty hard'.

• Options
    woop woop, went 4-2 in pickems today, and got perfect scoreline preds on all 4 wins. feelin' good!

• Options
    Ah so now we know that Houk is cheating! There were only 3 matches today.

On another note, my pick 'ems are showing zero points for everything today as if I didn't make my picks but I know I did.

• Options
    oh yeah yesterday and today lol, man my sense of time truly is fucked