Options

Eurostraliavision 2021 - nul points

PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
edited May 2021 in Social Entropy++
51d1nox3cdd0.png

har47bR.gif

Hey, anyone still watching this?

Some of this year's hopeful whose life goal has been to win the Eurovision Song Contest:

5txqhcdbecf8.png

If you feel inclined to vote for any of these fine young cannibals in the semi-finals, I've got you covered:

u3g8syem86z4.png

Red - countries participating in the first semi-final, 18 May
Pink - pre-qualified for the final but also voting in the first semi-final
Blue - participating countries in the second semi-final, 20 May
Light blue - pre-qualified for the final but also voting in the second semi-final

Oh, and of course you can look forward to the actual grand final on 22 May, 21 CEST.

Platy on

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    How to watch? (In the US)

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Found this site which might be helpful

https://eurovision.whatelseison.tv/watch-eurovision-song-contest/

Apparently Netflix holds the rights to the 2021 broadcast

Best method would be to watch on eurovision.tv with a VPN if you have one available

Platy on
  • Options
    I love the Australian entry because the chorus is just so generically Eurovision

It's not a bad song but

When it became clear that Australia would stick around, there were fears that this would lead to Australia dominating the contest because they would send something actually good

• Options
    First semi-final happening tonight!

The North Macedonian singer unfortunately got a lot of hate for being gay and allegedly being pro-Bulgarian

The Cypriot song is about being in love with the actual devil and a lot of people expect it to do very well

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Awesomeing for Cypriot and not Macedonia.

• Options
    It does sound like it's ripping off Bad Romance in a major way though

Anyway the lyrics are quite fun ("All this spicy melts my icy")

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I like that his intro is just the worlds smallest climbing wall inside a tiny glass house

Edit: oh I guess tiny house is the theme

Flarne on
  • Options
    Oooooooh you can applaud over the internet

• Options
    Wow jeez

Jeeeeeez

• Options
    How is Cyprus the favorite

It’s not even the best angel/demon themed song

• Options
    This is peak Eurovision

• Options
    Azeriana Grande

• Options
    Platy wrote: »
    Azeriana Grande

You beat me to it

• Options
    I'm worried that the second semi-final's going to have all the boring songs again

Props to whoever decided to put the Book-of-Revelations-themed songs together

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Okay Ukraine got way better halfway through

Flarne on
  • Options
    Feeling bad for whoever has to go

• Options
    Ireland’s weird stage stuff creeped me out

I’m not sure why

• Options
    Wow this is stupid

• Options
    I thought it was salt water

• Options
    Don't you ever dare to wear my Johnny Cash t-shirt

• Options
    Didn't know Johnny Logan won three times and was born in Australia

• Options
    Does it really count as three when he just composed the third one?
    Seems like cheating.

• Options
    I’m glad to see Sweden keeps control of Eurovision after Christer quit

• Options
    Awww so sorry Ireland and Australia

• Options
    Look at those awesome devil costumes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aWow1MKHzc

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    Found this site which might be helpful

https://eurovision.whatelseison.tv/watch-eurovision-song-contest/

Apparently Netflix holds the rights to the 2021 broadcast

Best method would be to watch on eurovision.tv with a VPN if you have one available

Netflix has the Will Ferrell movie which has Will Ferrell in it and is thus a bad movie. Peacock has actual eurovision:
    You can watch Eurovision 2021 through Peacock, NBC’s streaming service, which is accessible on both desktop and mobile devices. Peacock will be airing both semi-finals and the Grand Final live on both the free and premium tiers of the service.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    actually the Eurovision movie is mostly fairly watchable. Will Ferrell is 100% the worst part, though.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I'm a big fan of Ukraine's song this year

Will have to watch the livestream in a bit though

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    VargVarg Registered User regular
    As was noted, US folks can watch on Peacock live or on demand this year. You can also watch via any of the broadcasters that don't geoblock. I watch on SVT(Sweden) every year and the commentary is minimal. RUV(Iceland) is also available and apparently has English commentary as an option.

I'm all in for Ukraine, Malta and Italy this year.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    hot goss update - apparently the Norwegian rep and the Azerbaijani rep have got a thing going on???

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Aight takes now that work is done and I can watch the stream:

1. Kinda like this little "house that showcases the artist" thing but maybe that's just because Slovenia had a cat
    2. I don't love Discotheque as a song, but I'm on board for "goofy bad dancing" as a theme for the year
    3. Russia's song is like What If Netta But Soviet
    4. Sweden's outfit rules how do I get me some rhinestone-embroidered arm guards
    5. Montaigne's song is still a great dance banger, but then it has been since I heard it a few months ago
    6. Cyprus' El Diablo song is just not insane enough.
    7. Norway on the other hand I had already seen and it still paid out in visual batshittery. We all know the things that get crowd points in Eurovision - use of pyrotechnics, totally wild costumes, crazy dancing, surprising use of props - and it has that! But is not a very fun or catchy song for all of it and that's such a bummer.
    8. Belgium's song is whatever and it's a pity because the music video has her like wielding guns and beheading a dude, which is a lot more fun than sparkly dress and the same meh song
    9. Honestly Azerbaijan's song is not as good as Romania's I don't think but they do have flame effects which is important to me personally so it's quite difficult
    10. Ukraine, man, Ukraine gets it and I love everything they are doing.

All of this is to say that Australia got robbed given who did get in (sorry Slovenia and Belgium? your songs are boring?), and to that I say boo

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Thoughts as I watch:

Norway's the first one I watched, but definitely seems like he took some inspiration from Dan Stevens' movie character
    Nothing about Lithuania's is working for me. The costumes, the dance the song... eh.
    Russia's rep should have had at least one more intermediary costume layer, just to really get the full nesting doll effect
    Sweden's backup dancers "appearing" when the lights start strobing was a cool as hell effect. I think I like the actual song the most so far, too.
    Australia this feels like the song's lyrics were run through Google translate a few times, like I think I get when she's trying to say but the wording and the flow of the lyrics just feels... off? This isn't an uncommon feeling, but usually with performers who aren't singing in their first language.

Got to get back to work, but Sweden is my clear favourite so far

• Options
    Sweden's song is unfortunately pretty much An Actual Good Pop Song which is often a disqualifying factor for me unless you're also bringing some dance madness

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Oh yes, going the whole distance with the nesting doll idea would've been awesome, it would've even fit the "theme" of the song

• Options
    Semi-Final Round 1 Personal Rankings:
    Ukraine
    Malta
    Lithuania
    Russia
    Sweden

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I'm just gonna put it out there ahead of the second semi-final: if they don't qualify Finland's entry this year they are cowards

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6FU4wPI-ng

I love finland's entry. No real chance of winning though.

• Options
    I mean, probably not

But remember Hard Rock Hallelujah, weird entries do succeed occasionally

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Watching some more, I think North Macedonia used actual illusion magic which feels like cheating

looked cool though

Strong "children's variety show entertainer" energy from Ireland

edit: whoa dang she actually was on stage? For the first 2/3s I really thought that was a remote entry like Australia's just from the feel of it, the close framing and all the setpieces. Okay, actually kind of technically impressive, even if it isn't one of my favourite performances

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    Sweden's song is unfortunately pretty much An Actual Good Pop Song which is often a disqualifying factor for me unless you're also bringing some dance madness

Our fun and crazy Eurovision-style entries usually get stuck in the Swedish competition since we not only have a popular vote but also a "professional international jury" who always vote for whatever is going to sell.