As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Novel Novel [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread

ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilegeWestern coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
The old thread was too long, so here is a novel thread for discussing the novel coronavirus.

Just going to plagiarize ceres write an amazing and definitely novel OP entirely by myself:
As the title states, this thread is for discussion surrounding covid and how it has affected us, our communities, others, and the world, while the updates thread is for information/updates about the virus itself.

Cite your sources and don't post bad or wrong or dishonestly-framed information; mod patience for this kind of thing is especially thin right now.

We've all had a terrible time of the past year, so try not to be jerks to each other.

Tl;dr: Be kind, be truthful and cite things, and if you're going to post in the updates thread with something that is not an update, post it here instead.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Geth, kick @tbloxham from the thread.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Shivahn. @tbloxham banned from this thread.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Everyone in my department is fully inoculated aside from two who have legit medical concerns.

I also learned mandatory inoculations for military have existed since the founding of the country when George Washington was stabbing small pox survivors then stabbing healthy people. At least that's how I like to imagine it.

Quid on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I get a feeling that while my workplace isn't going to require employees to be vaccinated they are going to happily scarlet letter anyone who isn't/refuses and require them to wear a mask.

Shame them. SHAME THEM!!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Fully vaccinated, so visiting some family who are a mix of vaccinated and anti-vax, in an extremely anti-vax area where mask usage has pretty much stopped and the pandemic is "over." Interesting to see.

The prevailing narrative this week has been every single place I've visited this week has a hiring sign up, with pay rising from 8-9 dollars an hour to 11-12 dollars an hour, to coax all the people on $300 dollar unemployment to come back to work.

We were turned away from a restaurant for lack of staff.

It's a poor area, so $300 is probably more a week than people were making working 40 hours a week being yelled at by an unreasonable boss.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Had my first in person full work team meeting today, as my whole team has been fully vaccinated for over a month now

Everyone wanted to hug.............well everyone but me

So that’s how it’s gonna be huh

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2021
    As of Saturday, everyone in my house will be fully vaccinated, whee!

I'm not sure what work will ultimately be like. Our office is low key encouraging people to do work from home permanently, and mine is a job that absolutely can be done remotely, so unless my manager is stupid about it, I should get to keep doing it. I think she'll be reasonable, but she's the number two in the organization, so if she decides to be difficult about it, there's really nowhere to complain. And she did have occasional bouts of stubborn irrationality.

Fingers crossed. I've grown quite fond of not having to deal with other humans.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Is the Indian variant not in the states, or at least not very prevalent? It definitely doesn't seem as big a thing in the old thread as it is in the news in the UK, despite being estimated as being around 50% as transmissible as the UK variant, which was already 40-80% above the initial outbreak.

Though I guess over here there's also more focus on the news from India to add to the impact, but still - it's enough that the UK is considering slowing down relaxing of the later stages of lockdown rules and I thought we had similar vaccination rates to the States (and perhaps more focused on preventing hospitalisations). They're starting to vaccinate teenagers in the areas where the new variant has arrived, ahead of schedule.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Saw a billboard for Meijer-one of the local grocery store chains - "Get vaccinated at Meijer Get $10". Which I don't know that it will get people to make an appt, but If they are already there shopping it might make them get the shot rather than not bothering.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Is the Indian variant not in the states, or at least not very prevalent? It definitely doesn't seem as big a thing in the old thread as it is in the news in the UK, despite being estimated as being around 50% as transmissible as the UK variant, which was already 40-80% above the initial outbreak.

Though I guess over here there's also more focus on the news from India to add to the impact, but still - it's enough that the UK is considering slowing down relaxing of the later stages of lockdown rules and I thought we had similar vaccination rates to the States (and perhaps more focused on preventing hospitalisations). They're starting to vaccinate teenagers in the areas where the new variant has arrived, ahead of schedule.

According to the GISAID variant tracker, variant B.1.617 (first observed in India) has been in the US since February, and to date there have been a total of 1,011 confirmed cases of this variant.

Note that apparently the existing vaccines do have some measure of protection against B.1.617. Combined with the fact that the US is absolute shit at sequencing, even now, and that means that there probably are more cases that are undetected. Testing AND sequencing are on the decline in the States overall.

The vaccines are likely stomping down the B.1.617 variant in the states, though. That variant was just starting to do the rounds just as vaccines started to surge.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    It's the same story here but just portrayed the other way around, that variant is in the country and we've not been able to trace where it has come from. Vaccination programs (and waves of Covid previously) have stopped it turning into a complete disaster like in India - but with lockdown restrictions only partially lifted, the full opening up has now been put on hold until the faster spreading strain has been contained.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    my whole town is mask freeeee!

are they vaccinated?

probably nooooot!

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Everyone in my department is fully inoculated aside from two who have legit medical concerns.

I also learned mandatory inoculations for military have existed since the founding of the country when George Washington was stabbing small pox survivors then stabbing healthy people. At least that's how I like to imagine it.

The main thing is that it's still Emergency Use Authorization rather than standard approved vaccination. And, honestly, even though it is terrible right now I'm pretty happy that we have labor protections that don't allow your boss to demand you get pumped full of experimental drugs to work someplace.

It'll get normal approval in due course and then become a requirement for everything, just like measles or the pox. It'd just be nice if 'not killing other people and dying a painful death' was sufficient motivation for people.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »

The main thing is that it's still Emergency Use Authorization rather than standard approved vaccination. And, honestly, even though it is terrible right now I'm pretty happy that we have labor protections that don't allow your boss to demand you get pumped full of experimental drugs to work someplace.

It'll get normal approval in due course and then become a requirement for everything, just like measles or the pox. It'd just be nice if 'not killing other people and dying a painful death' was sufficient motivation for people.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't want it mandatory yet. It just came up in the chief FB group with the regular idiots saying the military shouldn't force personnel to get vaccines.

Which

lol

But I figured I'd go look up when vaccinations were mandatory expecting maybe WWI and learned inoculations in general the military's existence. Just with knives and other people's blood and scarification.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Well, we're back down to February case levels here in BC. We have a long weekend (got to celebrate Queen Victoria's Birthday you know) starting today and then the government is saying there will be a gradual removing of restrictions. Right now indoor dining and travel between regions is restricted, amongst other things.

Going to be interesting in a week or two to see if people actually stayed local or not this weekend. If not, we may see spikes in regional covid numbers, or maybe the rising tide of vaccinations will mitigate it. We've opened it to kids down to 12 now, so I'm super happy my brother's kids are all eligible now.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    Got my second Moderna Jab today. 4 hours in, and my arm's not even sore where they jabbed me? Tbh it's kinda a letdown, like did I get ripped off? I'll see how it goes, but so far it's been a dud.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    will this thread last long enough for me to get my vaccine?

Who knows!

We're eligible in July.

but I did just get my flu vax last night, so I've gotten at least one stab wound!

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Members of the House of Representatives who got a COVID vaccine:

All six non-voting members, every single Democrat, and less than half of the Republicans. Listed by name too if you want to see if your local idiot is slightly less stupid than some others. Granted, some of the Republicans may have been vaccinated secretly and are keeping it quiet just like their lord and god Trump, but you know what it shows.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

All six non-voting members, every single Democrat, and less than half of the Republicans. Listed by name too if you want to see if your local idiot is slightly less stupid than some others. Granted, some of the Republicans may have been vaccinated secretly and are keeping it quiet just like their lord and god Trump, but you know what it shows.

As a reminder, a house republican died of COVID in February...

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular

As a reminder, a house republican died of COVID in February...

But to the GOP, "It was God's Will anyway! So it's all Good."

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

My idiot Trumper Rep is vaccinated. Honestly, I am disappointed

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    The lotteries are probably the best return on investment for those funds. 5 million in ads and other programs in OH wouldn't have seen nearly that uptick in vaccinations.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    The lotteries are probably the best return on investment for those funds. 5 million in ads and other programs in OH wouldn't have seen nearly that uptick in vaccinations.

that's also a good point.

Pretty wild honestly.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I am fine taking advantage of people being bad at math to counter the fact that they're also bad at science.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I ate at a restaurant for the first time in over a year today. It was only a Taco Bell, but it felt magical to go be around other humans and have a meal. We sure do take shit for granted.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    None of this changes my desire to grab them by the collective shoulders and shout "BE LESS STUPID!"

(I know this would accomplish nothing, but it would make me feel better.)

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Pretty wild honestly.

I am really hoping we have more and more states try weird stuff like this. Humans seem weirdly averse to vaccinations for reasons I just can't understand. Smallpox vaccination often happened at gun point which tells the whole story of what to expect in terms of mass vaccine acceptance I feel. It is hard to even imagine a disease that could prove more devastating to humans, and still people fucked around with it. Scare tactics won't work so let's try to get creative.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Honestly, I’m surprised the USA isn’t giving out free guns with vaccination.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    We've reached 40% 2 weeks ago.. it will be interesting to see if cases fall even more down a cliff from now on (they're already trending solidly downards).

52% of the total population now got their first dose.

6les1nyocu8n.png

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »

Pretty wild honestly.

I am really hoping we have more and more states try weird stuff like this. Humans seem weirdly averse to vaccinations for reasons I just can't understand. Smallpox vaccination often happened at gun point which tells the whole story of what to expect in terms of mass vaccine acceptance I feel. It is hard to even imagine a disease that could prove more devastating to humans, and still people fucked around with it. Scare tactics won't work so let's try to get creative.

In fairness, there was a very thin line, with those first vaccinations, separating it from just straight up giving you smallpox.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    Honestly, I’m surprised the USA isn’t giving out free guns with vaccination.

That'd just start a fight about having to register said guns and why are minorities allowed to have them too

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Gnizmo wrote: »

Pretty wild honestly.

In fairness, "We're going to give you a potentially deadly virus* on purpose so you don't get sick later" isn't exactly intuitive :razz:

*yes I know that's not actually how most vaccines work

Calica on
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Today I was out for a short time, and there were a fair number of people without masks. Generally we've been good about mask discipline around here, so this is potentially worrisome. Then again we have been at single digit cases per day in the county (population of 100k) for the last two weeks, so maybe the vaccination effort has been enough and we'll be alright? I'm still going to mask up even after I get my second shot next Friday, because I'd rather be cautious than contribute to a flare up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    The UK has opened up vaccines for anybody 32 and over, so I've got my first jab booked

Weirdly, considering I live in a town with lots of old people, my closest vaccination centre is Leeds United football stadium

Still, the first time I've looked forward to going to a football ground

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I went to the grocery store yesterday for the first time since the mask requirement went away for vaccinated people and saw only two people walking around maskless.

We've had very few people come into the library without masks. The only one I saw yesterday was a lady who we had issues with in the last few months with wearing a mask; when she was told masks were required, she went ballistic with "HAVEN'T YOU READ THE GOVERNOR'S ORDERS? IT'S NOT REQUIRED IF YOU HAVE A HEALTH CONDITION THAT PREVENTS YOU FROM WEARING ONE!" Anyway, now none of us have to deal with mask enforcement, which I guess makes the job less stressful? Most of the staff are vaccinated, although I am pretty sure one staff member is refusing the vaccine and she's someone who last year asked during a Zoom staff meeting "Are you aware that they're building a 5G tower near the library? What is being done to protect staff?"

Anyway, my library system is removing the 30-minute daily limit in two weeks and we're fully reopening to the public. It's going to be weird.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Today I was out for a short time, and there were a fair number of people without masks. Generally we've been good about mask discipline around here, so this is potentially worrisome. Then again we have been at single digit cases per day in the county (population of 100k) for the last two weeks, so maybe the vaccination effort has been enough and we'll be alright? I'm still going to mask up even after I get my second shot next Friday, because I'd rather be cautious than contribute to a flare up.

Yeah my county is hovering around 60 cases a day. We've got an Air Force Base here though so I wonder if that's related. Lots of people going in and out.

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    I went to the grocery store yesterday for the first time since the mask requirement went away for vaccinated people and saw only two people walking around maskless.

We've had very few people come into the library without masks. The only one I saw yesterday was a lady who we had issues with in the last few months with wearing a mask; when she was told masks were required, she went ballistic with "HAVEN'T YOU READ THE GOVERNOR'S ORDERS? IT'S NOT REQUIRED IF YOU HAVE A HEALTH CONDITION THAT PREVENTS YOU FROM WEARING ONE!" Anyway, now none of us have to deal with mask enforcement, which I guess makes the job less stressful? Most of the staff are vaccinated, although I am pretty sure one staff member is refusing the vaccine and she's someone who last year asked during a Zoom staff meeting "Are you aware that they're building a 5G tower near the library? What is being done to protect staff?"

Anyway, my library system is removing the 30-minute daily limit in two weeks and we're fully reopening to the public. It's going to be weird.

In Oregon, mask enforcement is theoretically being replaced by vax status verification. Im sure that's less awkward!

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

See, I would be fired from that job because my instinctual and immediate response would be “complementary tinfoil hats will be provided to all staffers who request one” and I frankly doubt my brain would react quick enough to intercede and interrupt my mouth.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    burbo wrote: »

In Oregon, mask enforcement is theoretically being replaced by vax status verification. Im sure that's less awkward!

Every store I've been to in the Eugene/Springfield area has said fuck that and kept the mask mandates up. Its mostly working. Costco surprisingly was the worst one with folks walking around unmasked. They certainly weren't checking status. That or people just took their masks off as soon as they got inside.

Places like Fred Meyers and stuff like 95% of folks were still masked.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Tastyfish wrote: »

There are also a lot of other random variants that have similar mutations. The Indian B.1.617 variant isn't particularly special compared to e.g. the Brazilian P.1 variant (they, in fact, share an escape mutation at the same point, though the mutation isn't the same), and according to the GISAID tracker, B.1.617 is present in the US at a sixth the rate P.1 is.

So the US is B.1.617: 1.5% of cases

The UK is B.1.617: 23.8% of cases

That might be why you don't hear much about it :P

This discussion has been closed.