NOW FREE TO PLAY
Knockout City is a competitive action game by EA Ent-
Wait come back!
Anyways, it is developed by Velan Studios, the developers of the Mario Kart Live. You know, the game you play with the augmented reality toy-
I SAID COME BACK.As I was saying
, this game is a 3v3 sport of dodgeball, played third-person in open areas. The basic rules are best of three rounds, with the first to 10 KOs winning a round. The game has a surprising amount a depth, as despite its easy to pick up nature, there is a lot of mindgames involved. It's a lot like a mix of third person shooter and fighting game. You can throw the ball, sure, but you can also do overhead lobs, curve shots, fake-outs, or even make like Samus and go into morph ball and let a teammate pick you up for a one-hit KO shot (or have an opponent
pick you up for an embarrassing situation). But there's also what you can do without a ball, such as a button that briefly lets you catch an incoming ball, a tackle that can knock the ball out of the opponent's hands or even charge into the ball to deflect it. There's also movement options like a glider, double jumps, air dash, and verticality to rewards smart play.
The game is $19.99 on all platforms, and included with EA Play (or Game Pass Ultimate, as it includes EA Play). The game is cross platform, and basically available everywhere. I believe there is even cross-progression across platforms.
Here are some tips
- The ball gets faster when powered up. Pass between teammates often so it is more difficult for opponents to react
- You can still pass to a teammate with a ball, returning it to you with charge.
- You don't have to double jump to throw lobs or curves. Just tap the double jump button by itself to do a small hop that enables the throw
- 9/10 times you grab an opponent in ball form it is best to just chuck them off the map. It counts as a KO and they can't do much about it
- The warning of an incoming ball is active even even a player is just charging a shot up at you, so don't panic the second you see the red border
- Falling down a pit always scores your opponents a KO, so don't think it's a cute way to deny an opponent anything
- Balls CAN collide with each other, so keep that in mind with you and an opponent are both armed and facing each other down
- When thrown as a fully-charged character shot, you influence where the explosion hits, so aim true
- You can intercept an opponent's ball while you have a ball, but it will drop your current ball. Important if you have a bomb ball or something.
- Seriously, pass the damn ball