As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metroid] Expecting Prime 4? TOO BAD PRIME 1 REMASTER TIME.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    *robotic bird noises*

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    The robot looks like Glados and this is good.

Omg I’m so excited for this game!

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Sakamoto is the Producer of Dread.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I really like the animation on that robot, nicely creepy

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    From the pre-order page:

Samus’ story continues after the events of the Metroid™ Fusion game when she descends upon planet ZDR to investigate a mysterious transmission sent to the Galactic Federation. The remote planet has become overrun by vicious alien lifeforms and chilling mechanical menaces. Samus is more agile and capable than ever, but can she overcome the inhuman threat stalking the depths of ZDR?

Finally, a proper sequel to Fusion.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    The thing that stood out to me in the trailer was that Samus used the parry/melee attack while moving as an initiating action against an enemy. If that ability becomes something with offensive or proactive applications, I think it could go a long way toward mollifying the complaints about it slowing the pace of the game.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    HOLY SHIT IT'S HAPPENING

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Her new suit seems more mechanical than the fusion suit. Wonder if any of the living metroid suit elements will come into play.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    The thing that stood out to me in the trailer was that Samus used the parry/melee attack while moving as an initiating action against an enemy. If that ability becomes something with offensive or proactive applications, I think it could go a long way toward mollifying the complaints about it slowing the pace of the game.

They just showed exactly that yeah

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2021

:| well uhhhhhh hope he can reign himself in to pre-other M levels, or has learned from that experience in a positive way

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

:| well uhhhhhh hope he can reign himself in to pre-other M levels, or has learned from that experience in a positive way

Two babies.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

I mean, he's the producer for all Metroid games

He produced Samus Returns also, and that game was great

It depends on how much he's inserting himself into the story writing of the game

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Dash melee counter that doesn't break momentum. Also loving the new suit.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I mean, he's the producer for all Metroid games

He produced Samus Returns also, and that game was great

It depends on how much he's inserting himself into the story writing of the game

A producer, and a guy whose job is to squirt the producer with a water bottle whenever he gets close to the game's script.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    AI Adam confirmed.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    AI Adam confirmed.

Booooo

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    if this game treats Other M as canon I'm gonna be pretty mad

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I mean, Fusion's AI Adam wasn't awful. Other M was the issue.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Other M can be canon as long as the only relevant take away is the Federation is the villain now.

Edit: More overtly the villain, with bosses to be destroyed.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    if this game treats Other M as canon I'm gonna be pretty mad

It will, but it doesn't mean it has to spend any time on it. It's got every Metroid game in there, in the brief snip of the "intro" to catch players up that was mentioned before the treehouse, and it's got the Adam AI from fusion, so....yeah.

Definitely the Fusion Adam wasn't bad like Other-M, but let's not gloss over how irritating it was agreed to be before Other-M took the bar and lowered it into hell. Regularly talking way too much (any is too much, just let me play, the Metroid story should be told in the environment, not exposition IMO), locking off areas etc.

Still though, I'm really banking in the dev house making the game. They did an excellent job with Samus Returns, and did a progression/gating system that was sensible (and more intuitive than Metroid 2's was originally), and added in fast travel that didn't undermine the exploration.

I've got my fingers crossed here, but I can't lie that it was a bit disappointing when I heard them mention Adam in the treehouse.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I kinda wish they hadn't shown off the unkillable robots chasing you. Let the player find that out for themselves.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I kinda wish they hadn't shown off the unkillable robots chasing you. Let the player find that out for themselves.

Hopefully what they've shown are just the basic early game ones, just to explain the premise.

I think they kinda had to show something, to show what is the underlying feature that makes the title make sense; but I am assuming that they'll do some evolving throughout the game like the Metroids in M2, and that'll be lots of surprises and...dread...? :lol:

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I didn't notice them say anything at all about Prime 4. Did I miss them confirming that this was, in fact, not Prime 4 with a name change?

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Fusion and Zero Mission both have sequences about running away from unkillable enemies and pretty much all the games have escape sequences of some form, so it's not much of a surprise to see it here, too.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I didn't notice them say anything at all about Prime 4. Did I miss them confirming that this was, in fact, not Prime 4 with a name change?

It's a completely different game yes. Kind of a weird suggestion. They stated before the trailer that Prime 4 is still being worked on.

• Options

They said they are still working on it and will have something to show at a later date before going in to Dread.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular

It was literally the first thing they said before the announcement. That prime 4 is still in development and this was something different.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Yeaaaaah!

Samus vs robots (and maybe the gubberment). Lets fucking go.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options

Yes, it is definitely not that. The wording indicated it was still in production and this was a new different thing.

Given that the last real info they gave on MP4 was that they were functionally starting over on development, I think they would have made it clear if this was replacing it.

Plus, Dread is being developed by a 3rd party (I'm not aware of Nintendo acquiring Mercury Steam at least), not the team they have on MP4 (retro?)

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Speaking of Prime, Penny Arcade stripes sometimes age weirdly but this one is particularly hilarious in retrospect

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2001/02/21/count-your-lucky-stars

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Speaking of Prime, Penny Arcade stripes sometimes age weirdly but this one is particularly hilarious in retrospect

I still want Metris

• Options

Yeah, just before the Dread trailer, they said that Prime 4 is still under development but they had nothing to show today.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    I really like Nintendo’s way of dropping a trailer for a new game and having the release date be barely four months away.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    The Treehouse reminded me why I don't usually watch Treehouses. Sure, just keep turning around and shooting at the enemy the game just explained can't be hurt by your weapons. Or playing ring around the rosy and ignoring the obvious exit point. I can't tell if they've been coached to do certain things poorly or they're just actually bad.

• Options
    Delzhand wrote: »
    The Treehouse reminded me why I don't usually watch Treehouses. Sure, just keep turning around and shooting at the enemy the game just explained can't be hurt by your weapons. Or playing ring around the rosy and ignoring the obvious exit point. I can't tell if they've been coached to do certain things poorly or they're just actually bad.

They're definitely doing that to show off the mechanic.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    The new game is clearly by MercuryStream. Good on them (and Nintendo). They more than proved themselves with Samus Returns.

I hope I won't miss the stereoscopic 3D this time. It really elevated the scenery in Samus Returns for me. I re-watched the trailer, and I think art design plus the Switch's power was leveraged to make up for it. What we got to see clearly favors backgrounds with lots of depth variation, that cover large distances from the foreground, or both at once.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

I still want Metris

Tetris DS had a cool Metroid-themed mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_V4FfTwVpg

• Options
    Man, the new slide is brilliant. No longer do I have to go into morph ball just to go under 1 block.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    I really love the speed and mobility of Samus in Dread. I know she's sort of a walking tank, but giving her some parkour style movements should really improve the flow of the game, especially during the chase scenes. Also, the chase sections in Fusion were awesome, so I'm glad were getting more of those. I recall that you'd get into a new area, and before you can explore, the chase began and you went through new areas without stopping. Kind of a cool way to get the player deeper into an area and tease some things they'll be seeing/doing.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm just glad I get to play this on a TV instead of a tiny handheld screen.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling