As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

An Incomplete [History] of History Threads

191011121315»

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited June 2023
    An Alaskan Pipeline to the rescue, what a world.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I saw that, and I would like to remind everyone that magic items can't be destroyed by normal means so that sword is either +1 or cursed.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Luckily a cursed item only means you can't unequip it. Jokes on you I can get by with only one hand!

Gundi on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I feel like the curse of such a badass looking sword would be setting your rizz to 18 but wisdom to 3

All sorts of trouble

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    An Alaskan Pipeline to the rescue, what a world.

Forged in the bowels of the nether realm, the blade of silent but deadly, embedded with jewels of golden corn, Claiomh Stercus!

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    If I recall traditional Tuareg blacksmithing is an exclusive intracultural institution with a secret language

• Options
    No-4-Commando-22-April-1942.jpg
    Men of No. 4 Commando after returning from a raid on the French coast near Boulogne, 22 April 1942

Those aren't army boots I would like a pair of what those are I want some lace up combat slippers please

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    You need something a little more sneaky than your standard leather ammunition boots so Jerry doesn't hear you sawing him in half with a fucking bren gun.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Luckily a cursed item only means you can't unequip it. Jokes on you I can get by with only one hand!

Masturbating with your off hand is a DC 12 Dex + Athletics, Acrobatics, or Performance depending on your approach. Don't roll a 1!

• Options
    I was not making a masturbation joke.

• Options
    So this is kind of a personal thing but I recently learned my deceased maternal grandmother (She passed about ten years ago.) had been an ardent supporter of the US communist party in her youth. This came from a very, very old photo coming to light. This was something of a shock to me but upon reflection it made a lot of sense to me. Out of all my extended family (i.e. not immediate blood relation), my relationship with said grandmother and I would say she was the only member of my extended family who I had a relationship of depth equal to my parents and sibling. (Random anecdote, while she doted on me I wasn't allowed to call her grandma and instead had to call her by her first name, since she said being called a grandma made her feel like, and I quote, "an old fogie."

She lived several states away from my family home, but several times each year my mother would drive up me (and occasionally my sister) to visit and spend a weekend with her. I'm pretty sure I was her favorite grandchild, and she absolutely loved to shoot the shit with me. She's hardly the only reason, but she had a large impact on my burgeoning interest in history growing up. Whatever age I was, she was willing to talk at my age level and knowledge level about whatever historical interests I had. She never talked down to me, but she provided her own insights and occasionally encouraged me in certain directions to delve more into what I was interested in. While I didn't really clock at the time was, her understanding of and interests in history were very unusual for her age demographic. I can't remember the exact year she was born, but it was sometime in the 1920s.

For one thing, she was very open about what she thought were historical missteps in American society. She was quite openly ashamed of the US' slavery and Jim Crow past, and seemed an earnest proponent of integration. And not in the wishy washy bullshit way most very elderly whites are, if they even bother to hide their prejudice. She had a better understanding of the history of civil rights than any other adult in my life growing up. While traditionally feminine she was a staunch feminist, unwilling to take any kind of lip or sexism. She actually was the first person to ever introduce to me to some of America's mistreatment of Native Americans, telling me about the story of the Cherokee removal when I innocently said I'd "never seen an indian in person." (I've lived in North Carolina my entire life.) While quite reserved about her past in general, she did sometimes mention the deprivation and extreme poverty her family went through during the great depression. (FDR was her favorite politician.) She had what, again something I only noticed in hindsight, a suprisingly anti-authoritarian bend: when our talks occasionally turned towards current events or politics she strongly encouraged me to not be overly trusting of politicians. When I, and again I was a child, protested that the government generally only tried to do what was best for people, she warned me-and I paraphrase-that the only way politicians can be expected to act responsibly is with constant surveillance and reprimands from the people. She encouraged me that when I got older I should strongly consider getting involved in politics, but also that I owed no authority anything by default.

Basically, while I always adored her, it has been now many years after her death that I understand what a unique and interesting lady she was.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqwMLCh8RnE

david mitchell is actually pretty damn smart apparently?

• Options
    On Oct 19th 1864, 21 Confederate soldiers led by Bennett H. Young crossed over the border from modern-day Quebec into the small town of St. Albans in Vermont. The purpose of this raid was to raise money along with diverting the Union Army into diverting troops to defend the northern border from the British. Initially, Young planned to rob 3 banks, then set fire to the towns. On Wednesday afternoon Young set a gun off, and most of the townsfolk believed it was a joke, however, one of the raiders soon announced "We are Confederate soldiers and you are my prisoners!". They robbed St. Albans bank, the first of the three planned. They took cash off of people who arrived to pay deposits as well as cash in the bank but left uncut bank notes behind. The hostages they had acquired were forced to pledge allegiance to the Confederate States and then locked in the bank. Nine of the raiders were sent to take the town as the robberies were ongoing until resistance emerged in the form of Captain George Conger, a member of the 1st Vermont Infantry on leave, who began alerting the rest of the town and raised a group to fight back. In the face of resistance, Young and his raiders retreated, attempting to scorch the town as they went. They crossed the Missisquoi River late that night, and while they planned to return to Montreal, the RCMP captured 13 of the men, and Young resolved to give himself up. The raiders had stolen 88,000$ USD (equivalent to 1.5 Million in 2021). Due to Canada being neutral, and the raiders being under military order, they could not extradite the raiders, however, returned the money to St. Albans. The release of the raiders angered the Americans and turned many Canadians against the Confederacy. Subsequently, the agents left, realizing further raids were not possible. The St. Albans Raid was the furthest northern conflict during the war, and all 3 of the banks remain standing today.

• Options
    Also on 19 October 1944, the Fourth Moscow Conference concludes with Churchill and Stalin agreeing to divide their two states' influence over much of Eastern Europe.
    Churchill and Stalin opened the issue of 'spheres of influence'. Well, despite all their potential concerns about the U.S. reaction to any division of Eastern Europe and the Mediterranean between Britain and the Soviet Union, late on 9 October, Churchill wrote down in unambiguous terms the percentages of influence each should have (Photo 2). Stalin approved of the proposal, even check-marking each of the proposals.

The following day, Soviet Foreign Commissar Molotov and British Foreign Minister Eden discussed possible alternatives to the percentages. However, the agreement, at least on Romania and Greece, has remained firmly in place. They did negotiate quite intensely over the two drafts for an armistice with Bulgaria, one from the U.S. and the other from the Soviet Union—the U.S. draft insists on the Allied Control Commission (ACC) in Bulgaria answering to the governments of the 'Big Three' equally. In contrast, the Soviet draft prefers the solution to be the same as the armistice agreements with Finland and Romania, which, if you recall our 19 September post, you'll know is not kind to the capitulating party. On 11 October, Eden agreed to Molotov's proposal for 20% influence in Bulgaria and an amended armistice that stated the ACC in Bulgaria would act on the commands of the Soviet High Command but with the 'participation' of the British and American governments.

W. Averell Harriman, U.S. ambassador to the Soviets, has been mostly absent from the discussions, having been denied presence as an observer without being the active representative of President Roosevelt. He was shocked when Churchill informed him of the 'percentages agreement' during a meeting on 12 October, however he has not yet informed Roosevelt.

Today, the two leaders part ways having postponed other discussions for a future meeting.
    vy9331homi2l.png

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    As an aside, St Albans is adorable. I was there a couple of years ago and stayed at a friend's VRBO on Lake Champlain, it was gorgeous. Coming from the sprawling hellscape that is South Florida, Vermont was an amazing bit of difference.

• Options
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
  • Options
    Oh I am come to the low Countrie,
    Ochon, Ochon, Ochrie!
    Without a penny in my purse,
    To buy a meal to me.

It was na sae in the Highland hills,
    Ochon, Ochon, Ochrie!
    Nae woman in the Country wide,
    Sae happy was as me.

For then I had a score o'kye,
    Ochon, Ochon, Ochrie!
    Feeding on you hill sae high,
    And giving milk to me.

And there I had three score o'yowes,
    Ochon, Ochon, Ochrie!
    Skipping on yon bonie knowes,
    And casting wool to me.

I was the happiest of a' the Clan,
    Sair, sair, may I repine;
    For Donald was the brawest man,
    And Donald he was mine.

Till Charlie Stewart cam at last,
    Sae far to set us free;
    My Donald's arm was wanted then,
    For Scotland and for me.

Their waefu' fate what need I tell,
    Right to the wrang did yield;
    My Donald and his Country fell,
    Upon Culloden field.

Oh I am come to the low Countrie,
    Ochon, Ochon, Ochrie!
    Nae woman in the warld wide,
    Sae wretched now as me.
    The-Battle-of-Culloden-1.jpg

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I just spent my morning reading this fantastic pair of articles about the history of medieval peasant resistance movements and proto-anarchism:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/fury-of-rustics-83595893
    https://www.patreon.com/posts/pact-and-pike-98719375

A fascinating piece of work, both in reframing conflicts that I was already familiar with from an more establishment perspective as ones that were, well, aligned with my own belief structure, and in introducing me to a bunch of lesser known bits of history that similarly fall in line.

• Options
    On 12 March 1945, a group of Japanese internees of the Santa Fe Internment Camp in New Mexico incite a minor riot.

The Santa Fe Internment Camp (SFIC) was established in February 1942 by the Department of Justice (DOJ) and guarded by U.S. Border Patrol agents.

By 30 June 1943, the camp contained 1,894 Issei (first-generation Japanese immigrants ineligible for U.S. citizenship). Since then, over 4,000 Japanese internees have passed through the camp, with relations between them, the administrators and guards remaining generally peaceful.

However, tensions have recently risen with the arrival of 366 men identified as “pro-Japan agitators” relocated to the SFIC from the WRA Segregation Camp at Tule Lake, California.

These men, who have renounced their U.S. citizenship, have organized themselves into two groups, the Sokuji Kikoku Hoshi-Dan (the Organization to Return Immediately to the Homeland to Serve) and the Hikoku Seinen-Dan (the Organization to Serve Our Mother Country) and have been staging protests each morning. They display their loyalty to Japan by wearing sweatshirts with the Rising Sun emblem.

However, on 10 March, the situation escalated further when guards searched their barracks and confiscated around a dozen shirts bearing the Rising Sun, spurring more protests. In response, the camp commander ordered three men leading the protests to be transferred to the camp at Fort Stanton and posted more guards at the SFIC.

Today, as the guards lead the three protest leaders out of the camp, around 300 of the 'troublemakers' gather around the administration centre.

After giving five orders to disperse, 16 border patrol agents attack the protesters with batons and tear-gas grenades, while some of the internees threw rocks at the agents.

In a 10-minute confrontation, four of the internees are severely injured, requiring hospitalization.

Another 14 internees will be transferred to Fort Stanton due to their involvement in the incident, while the other 'agitators' will be separated from the rest of the camp's population.

j4jovdphkfjz.png
    Hokoku Seinen Dan gather to give proper send-off to members sent to Santa Fe Internment Camp, Tule Lake, March 4, 1945.
    Source: AP

What it looks like now
    ip844a4v7ibk.jpg
    ylrey6ym7kpx.jpg

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited March 14
    t9hjfa54f53x.png

In 1997 you called a 1-800 number to tell them where to mail the web address.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    https://youtube.com/rR6qMWt37ag?si=LJLKraYh0raNwRf-

As a side I went to find out how much they dropped in Afghanistan [I had a front row seat as they bombed the Shah-i-Kot Valley in Operation Anaconda as you could feel the rumble in the ground from the 'safe" distance we were at} But it just gives stat Iseral is throwing more per day and we used the daisy cutter