Options

[Wildermyth] Always kiss Turtles.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Maguano wrote: »
    still not 100% sure what I'm doing but on my run through the tutorial campaign, my main warrior had a stone shield for and arm, and a stone sword arm. The mage had 1 fire arm. most critters had no chance.
    started the next campaign, and I miss those 2

Well, you can recruit legacy characters in new campaigns, so you might see them again.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I have a Storm-Wolf-Man.

He runs up and does a bite, attacks with his claws which are now water based because he used to have a water mace, and then sometimes follows up with a lightning bolt.

His wife has a bear arm! And also moth wings! So she's a Moth-Bear-Lady!

I don't think I've ever turned down a transformation. Reject Humanity.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Maguano wrote: »
    still not 100% sure what I'm doing but on my run through the tutorial campaign, my main warrior had a stone shield for and arm, and a stone sword arm. The mage had 1 fire arm. most critters had no chance.
    started the next campaign, and I miss those 2

Well, you can recruit legacy characters in new campaigns, so you might see them again.

Yep!

The first two campaigns (Gorgon and Morthagi) just work off starting units, but all 3 of the other campaigns require you to start with at least one legacy hero, who's drawn from your Legacy! You can also do Legacy campagins that start with three or even five legacy heros.

ALso @Bedlam - Wolf arms are always water stunt based. Most (but not all) arms have a prebuilt element. The ones that dont usually do some sort of other effect, like Crow blinds on a stunt or Storm stuns.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Oh. That's a heck of a coincidence then.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Oh. That's a heck of a coincidence then.

An understandable mistake to make!

Off the top of my head...

Sylvan, Botanical: Leaf
    Wolf: Water
    Firesoul: Fire
    Gem: Stone
    Shadow: No stunt effect (It may have the bonus damage ala artifacts?)
    Crow: Blinds
    Storm: Stuns
    Celesital: No stunt effect

These are just the transformations i've had so far and can remember.

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    I have a Storm-Wolf-Man.

He runs up and does a bite, attacks with his claws which are now water based because he used to have a water mace, and then sometimes follows up with a lightning bolt.

His wife has a bear arm! And if you mess with her and give him Lover's Vengeance then your days are truly numbered!

I got one that slowly turned a guy into stone.... which REALLY slowed him down when it hit the legs. Then I had a mission where enemies kept coming until I exited a zone. My dude was moving 3 spaces a turn and that was just BRUTAL. Maybe that's a case of a unique situation happening while I was still learning the game and so it has an outsized effect on my perceptions.... but I'm kind of leery that all transformations should be embraced all the time.

• Options
    Massena wrote: »
    I have a Storm-Wolf-Man.

His wife has a bear arm! And if you mess with her and give him Lover's Vengeance then your days are truly numbered!

I got one that slowly turned a guy into stone.... which REALLY slowed him down when it hit the legs. Then I had a mission where enemies kept coming until I exited a zone. My dude was moving 3 spaces a turn and that was just BRUTAL. Maybe that's a case of a unique situation happening while I was still learning the game and so it has an outsized effect on my perceptions.... but I'm kind of leery that all transformations should be embraced all the time.

So, Transformations and strategy!

One: Transformed limbs are basically always better than just having a hook or peg leg. Even the slower legs tend to get stuff to make up for it - Fire legs are slower, but pack in extra warding (A firelegged mystic is hilariously tanky vs any magic damage).

Two: Offensive limbs are a bit more complex. Generally, if you want to go down that route, you have to commit to it and build for it. For mystics that means things like going for Vigorflow or Indigence, etc. You also should commit to buying the upgrade for them. You loose out on two-handers and offhands as well, which can be a big deal. Commiting to both arms usually gets you some sort of ugprade - Wolf picks up the fantastic multi-hit Frenzy, Crow gets a big damage increase, yaddayadda.

On the flipside, you no longer have to buy weapons for your hero, and transformed limbs can have immense scaling, including with Potency, which can be a big deal. This means you can spend your legacy points on recruiting more Legacy heros, or cancelling upgrades for enemys. Which can be a big deal on high difficulties. (Thrusks with damage ugprades are terrifying)

• Options
    edited July 2021
    ...One of my characters just learned how to pull a rope (In any location), and trigger a rolling boulder to crush people.

It's a free action too. This is pretty fantastic.

Edit: Aww, it turned out to be a one mission only thing. I'm forever let down.

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    CalescentCalescent Registered User regular
    The first two campaigns (Gorgon and Morthagi) just work off starting units, but all 3 of the other campaigns require you to start with at least one legacy hero, who's drawn from your Legacy!
    Just to clarify a bit, I'm going through the Morthagi campaign right now and, while you only *begin* with starting units, you have the option to recruit legacy characters instead of a baseline character for extra legacy points.

Steam: Calidaria
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Also The Deepest and Thrixl stories have you starting with a mix of legacy and new guys. (probably Drauv too but Im saving that one for later)

Personally I like taking a bunch of nobodies and turning them into somebodies more than playing Legacy Characters but its cool the option is there.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    Calescent wrote: »
    The first two campaigns (Gorgon and Morthagi) just work off starting units, but all 3 of the other campaigns require you to start with at least one legacy hero, who's drawn from your Legacy!
    Just to clarify a bit, I'm going through the Morthagi campaign right now and, while you only *begin* with starting units, you have the option to recruit legacy characters instead of a baseline character for extra legacy points.

Right yes, you can always recruit legacy characters at towns (and it's a very good thing to do, as they a: come with at least t1 equipment in all their slots other than accessories, and b: can come in incredibly powerful if they're a mythwalker or the equivalent)

Knocked out the Enduring War on Tragic hero. Just got the Gorgon and Drauven campaigns to do on TH now (I've done em all already, just on lower difficulty)

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

Right yes, you can always recruit legacy characters at towns (and it's a very good thing to do, as they a: come with at least t1 equipment in all their slots other than accessories, and b: can come in incredibly powerful if they're a mythwalker or the equivalent)

Knocked out the Enduring War on Tragic hero. Just got the Gorgon and Drauven campaigns to do on TH now (I've done em all already, just on lower difficulty)

Is there some meta-strategy to who you mark as being legacy at the end of a campaign. In my second campaign I got a B player from my first game instead of a rockstar. But then again at the end of the second campaign I merrily marked them all as legacy because I'd grown so fond of them.

Do your old timers when recruited into a new campaign from legacy ranks get a completely reset retirement timer? Or might you only have them for a chapter or two?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

Is there some meta-strategy to who you mark as being legacy at the end of a campaign. In my second campaign I got a B player from my first game instead of a rockstar. But then again at the end of the second campaign I merrily marked them all as legacy because I'd grown so fond of them.

Do your old timers when recruited into a new campaign from legacy ranks get a completely reset retirement timer? Or might you only have them for a chapter or two?

Everyone that was not a legacy character is made a legacy character at the end of a campaign.

The one or two heroes you bump up a tier in legacy does have some considerations though. For your first campaign, it can just be whoever you feel like. But if you promote a legacy character, it overwrites the previous version of them saved with the version of them at the end of the just ended campaign. This can mean changes in gear, additional transformations, or pets compared to the previous version. Or just a set of skills they picked up that you like better than their older set.

When you recruit a legacy character, their previous age is reset. That said, for the campaigns where you start with a legacy character they may start off at an older age. The Thrixl campaign has one legacy character start off in their 20s and another closer to middle age.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

Everyone that was not a legacy character is made a legacy character at the end of a campaign.

The one or two heroes you bump up a tier in legacy does have some considerations though. For your first campaign, it can just be whoever you feel like. But if you promote a legacy character, it overwrites the previous version of them saved with the version of them at the end of the just ended campaign. This can mean changes in gear, additional transformations, or pets compared to the previous version. Or just a set of skills they picked up that you like better than their older set.

When you recruit a legacy character, their previous age is reset. That said, for the campaigns where you start with a legacy character they may start off at an older age. The Thrixl campaign has one legacy character start off in their 20s and another closer to middle age.

Some further notes: you don't have to accept everyone into your legacy

Also you can go into 'my legacy' and remove characters from being playable or delete them outright.

When you finish a campaign, anyone who wasn't already in your legacy can be added. You can then promote 1 for a 3 chapter campaign, or 2 for a five chapter campaign.

This updates their abilities, transformations and gear, as well as increasing the level they come in at, which caps at level 5 (mythwalker). Beyond that point promoting them will update the pool of abilities, gear, and transformations but won't increase their starting level.

I'm honestly hoping they increase the speed this happens at, it's pretty slow right now vs the time a campaign can take (that and the rng on abilities at level up are my only big critiques)

• Options
    I tried upping the difficulty and ended up with a mystic who had hooks for both hands, among pretty much everyone getting maimed at least once. Made it pretty far into chapter four before getting completely overwhelmed and losing.

• Options
    I tried upping the difficulty and ended up with a mystic who had hooks for both hands, among pretty much everyone getting maimed at least once. Made it pretty far into chapter four before getting completely overwhelmed and losing.

@Bedlam

Walking Lunch or Tragic Hero?

I've not done WL yet, but i imagine the tactics are similar: Rush objectives on the world map, avoid fights with your main faction, only cancel calamities for the main faction. (And thanks to misspelling that, i learned that Calamites are a thing).

For Tragic Hero, the big change from Adventurer is you really need to think about flanking. Having more dedicated builds starts to pay off too - Ignite+ mystics, Dagger with long reach/Thornfang/Rogue (Rogue adds a lot of saftey + lets you ignore armor because you're attacking from stealth, which is a big help) Hunters, Arches+ with Elementalist (On demand Splintersalvo!). Stacking bonus damage and potency on a Broadswipes warrior, that sort of shenanigans. As well as leaning into elemental weapons for stunts

Like, i'll start off by using a mystic to explode a tree over enemies or Ignite+ into a Flameleash. This usually sets the enemies up to be flanked, which means i can have a warrior jump in and clean things up, or have a Through shot hunter be guaranteed to hit, or even just another mystic hit. Remember also that you can get an enemy to the point they're flankable from all directions with enough attacks on em.

I've knocked out all of the campaigns except for the Drauven one on Tragic Hero so far and this has all worked (To be fair, i'm also quite happy to reload if things go horribly wrong, esp given my habit of misclicking)

Another good trick with rushing objectives is that come act five you can go and clean up everything to get your final team into really good shape with no worries about them retiring on you. It's often worth recruiting a secondary team of a couple of warriors or something who aren't actually meant to fight... just run around building defenses, patrolling areas to clean up infestations, and repairing things after Incursions roll through (I mean, you can fight em if you want, but they're brutal and also you get LP when they exhaust themselves which you can use to cancel calamities.. and beating them adds calamities).

I suppose if you wanted to super min-max you could eventually ensure all your Legacy characters have Wisdom in their character pool so you can pull them in purely to be task-bots. Sounds really boring to do, but it would pay off (and be funny) in the long run. It's mainly calamities that crush you in the long run!

Hopefully this helps! I can try and post more deets on some of my characters and how i use them if that'd help!

• Options
    It was Tragic Hero Carved in Stone, Five Chapter Generic, Vs Morthrigai.

My strategy was to explore everything for the XP since new Heroes always fared the worst, and I always go for the item when setting up a new area. The end chapter fights turn out to be the hardest since you get absolutely swarmed with enemies while you can only bring 5 guys of your own. It ended up being a war of attrition with me slowly losing everybody and them always getting bigger and stronger. And walling dosent always work since you have weldlings and coachmen with area attacks, but I found unchecked Wardrobes to be the absolute worst. It was fun to try and I didn't expect to win, I only have the Drauven to go and I'll be happy to beat it on Adventurer.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Right, yeah - sounds like what really wrecked you was the calamites piling up because of fighting everything.

Those can have really nasty aggreate effects, especially when it stacks up stuff like +2 damage and +4 spawns on the weak little dudes.

Weldings are usually pretty ignorable, and the walling works out, but Coachmen are pretty nasty for throwing folks around - though they dont actually hit that hard with the throw attack, so if you can bait it...

...I once had a coachman teamkill though! He picked up and hurled my warrior into the middle of his team.

My Warrior with Broadswipes+

My Warrior with Broadswipes+ and Longreach+

My Warrior with Broadswipes+ and Longreach+ who was in Guardian.

It ended very poorly for his team!

Edit: something else to consider on Tragic Hero+ is really playing into your character's relationships. For instance, having a tanky warrior type be a lover with a mystic. Enemies attack the warrior, they dodge, mystic turns them into chutney thanks to Lover's vengeance. Or having a stunt-heavy Warrior be a rival with someone else, resulting in a lot of extra crits. You can even lock in relationships if you want them to persist across legacies, which is pretty cool!

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Man I don't have a head for strategy at all, I love reading this shit. Do the primary campaigns stay the same through the different difficulties? It just gets harder?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Man I don't have a head for strategy at all, I love reading this shit. Do the primary campaigns stay the same through the different difficulties? It just gets harder?

They stay the same, but the time pressure gets tighter, incursions happen more frequently, enemies are more numerous etc.

Plus you can make different choices!

The game is fun enough I'm very happy to replay campaigns but tougher. Not sure if I'll try walking lunch yet though.

Also, comedy: the Drauven campaign has you pick one of your legacy characters to be the prodigal parent.

So I picked my skeleton mystic, and the resulting plot was very funny - daughters got problems with their parent, but the fact they've reappeared as a skeleton with a dagger permanently fused to one hand... Eh. These things happen in the Yondering lands.

• Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Ugh, don't be like me. Had a nasty wipe to what was effectively a race condition. I had an archer with strong quellingmoss spit poison all over a Thrixl Bard and a bard-buffed Thrusk, and I thought they were going to die at the start of the enemy turn. Well, the bard died, but when the Thrusk reverted to its bitty form afterwards the poison didn't proc on it, so it had unabated access to my backline.

Yeah, that ended poorly.

• Options
    Glazius wrote: »
    Ugh, don't be like me. Had a nasty wipe to what was effectively a race condition. I had an archer with strong quellingmoss spit poison all over a Thrixl Bard and a bard-buffed Thrusk, and I thought they were going to die at the start of the enemy turn. Well, the bard died, but when the Thrusk reverted to its bitty form afterwards the poison didn't proc on it, so it had unabated access to my backline.

Yeah, that ended poorly.

Thrusks are fucking terrifying and one of the best arguments for having a high potency mystic with Indignance so the little fuckers BURN when they get near you.

Also, oof! That's unpleasent. Can i suggest bug reporting that over on the offical discord? Because that seems like it should not happen. (You can also do feedback in game via f11, and they'll even email you responses, it's v. good)

• Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    So somewhat of a nitpick, but the 'years of peace' mechanism seems poorly thought out. For a five year campaign, having your heavy hitters age out in chapters 4 and 5 is probably the worst thing that can happen to you. In order to prevent that, the 'best' strategy is actually to do worse on the early phases. The more towns you capture and the more incursions you stop, the more your characters age in between chapters. For ascending legacy characters, the best thing I've found is to just rush through chapters 1-3 doing the bare minimum and not even capturing any towns and I can bring my guys into chapter 4 at age 40 or so which is plenty of cushion. I guess its meant as a control on not being able to grind out super powerful characters in the easier early phases, but it feels pretty counterintuitive for me to be rewarded for actively trying to get incursions to destroy towns.

Also, feels bad to only get to save legacy progress on two characters max in end game. I can understand why they only let you promote two at a time to gate progression to mythwalker, but why not let me save current state for my baby archer who happened to evolve some shadow legs without needing to promote him? Leads to a lot of feeling repetitious in late game, especially on characters with partial transformation as I'm pretty sure I've evolved stone arms on one of my rogues like three times in separate games.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    tfw you're a magic blue wolf with an ancient coin but you can only buy one tail:

4yvrlkk4hnu6.png

(I went skunk; this turned out to be okay because it's a non-turn-ending action that sprays poison boosted by the blue skin potency.)

• Options
    I think fox tail is my favorite, personally! It gives a bunch of nice passive stat boosts including speed

@eMoander I don't disagree on years of peace, there really needs to be some reward for em

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Well, the reward is wringing as much experience as you can out of the chapter, right? Beelining through keeps your early characters around longer, but you're leaving exp and loot on the table, ringht?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Well, the reward is wringing as much experience as you can out of the chapter, right? Beelining through keeps your early characters around longer, but you're leaving exp and loot on the table, ringht?

Not really. You can always do those fights later (letting you put the exp on characters who'll be around), and on higher difficulties if they're your main opponent, skipping them means your enemies arent snwoballing with extra cards. It's an emergent flaw in the game's structure.

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    So i managed to beat the tutorial campaign with nearly my entire party dying in that final fight. It was awesome!

The MVP was my starting hunter, she had lots of potency, and the poison active/passive, oh and every time she killed an enemy she went invisible. It made her nearly unstoppable against weak critters. I pretty much just poisoned the final boss and hid after the rest of my party died.

Second campaign is going well, I found the warriors and mages useless in my first campaign so i decided to try a different approach. I gave my fighters all the +speed items I could find and suddenly they are actually useful. And mages desperately need a higher level stave + outfit for the +magic damage, otherwise they are just a bit useless.

Builds I want to try:
    dagger hunter
    melee mage with the +damage on infusions
    a warrior with a weapon other than greataxe.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    For melee mage, you really want to give them Long Reach and (if you can) Indignince. Ideally if you're super lucky you can get the artifact wand that makes interfusing free, and the artifact book offhand from an event that increases the number of Interfusions. Then you use the wand and book to interfuse, and switch to a staff to boop people from very long range.

Otherways to make a mystic a powerhouse is to give them Arches+ and Elementalist, letting them cast Splintersalvo basically at will, or Ignite+ (Huge, easy damage), or Naturalist+ (Create terrain, give your other mystics interfuse targets, throw people around).

Warriors really do need a way to close in combat, or to have enemies come to them - Zealous Leap, Wind Walk etc are great.

Dagger Rogues can be scary, but fragile.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Years of peace need to remove more of the cards. So more years of peace = more card removal.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Years of peace need to remove more of the cards. So more years of peace = more card removal.

Seems a bit silly that the penalty for full clearing a map (more cards) would be immediately removed by the reward for full clearing a map.

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    For melee mage, you really want to give them Long Reach and (if you can) Indignince. Ideally if you're super lucky you can get the artifact wand that makes interfusing free, and the artifact book offhand from an event that increases the number of Interfusions. Then you use the wand and book to interfuse, and switch to a staff to boop people from very long range.

Otherways to make a mystic a powerhouse is to give them Arches+ and Elementalist, letting them cast Splintersalvo basically at will, or Ignite+ (Huge, easy damage), or Naturalist+ (Create terrain, give your other mystics interfuse targets, throw people around).

Warriors really do need a way to close in combat, or to have enemies come to them - Zealous Leap, Wind Walk etc are great.

This is really good info thanks!

I've never seen those warrior skills in about 25 level ups.... I think there is definitely a bit of rebalancing that needs to happen, currently if you have the movement warriors do insane damage, otherwise they are useless, especially if they get pinned.

Garthor wrote: »

Seems a bit silly that the penalty for full clearing a map (more cards) would be immediately removed by the reward for full clearing a map.

I think the problem for me is that the apparent trade-off (cards for resources) is muddied by the need to constantly patrol if you are not trying to full clear. It's just much more dangeous to finish early / not be methodical.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options

I've never seen those warrior skills in about 25 level ups.... I think there is definitely a bit of rebalancing that needs to happen, currently if you have the movement warriors do insane damage, otherwise they are useless, especially if they get pinned.

I think the problem for me is that the apparent trade-off (cards for resources) is muddied by the need to constantly patrol if you are not trying to full clear. It's just much more dangeous to finish early / not be methodical.

I've been pushing the devs to implement a spend a legacy point ,reroll the level up screen rewards with no repeats option. Because there's some stuff - Long Reach, Zealous Leap (not needed if you're running a Sentinel build, but then you have other desires) that just feels if not mandatory, then very, very good to have - and hunting for the right build pieces either involves copious save scumming, or assembling a build across multiple runs, which is a huge time investment (I think, personally, a bit too much - Bumping things up to 2/3 characters depending on if 3 or 5 chapter, or even 3/4 would be really nice. Maybe there's a mod for that?)

You can make some insane powerhouses when you get going though. I've got a Warrior who's got the full wolf package, blueskin, Zealous leaps+, Battledance+ and usually comes in with Wolf+ and she's a combat monster - killing 3 different enemies in a turn levels of "dear god what the hell". You can do even worse if she gets Heroism+ in there.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

My warriors exclusively use polearms as their primary weapon unless they have a full transformation and therefore no human hands anymore. When it comes to tactics, the flexibility spears offer is huge. They also do have a bow as a backup weapon though.

Dagger hunters really benefit from the Rogue ability to they stay invisible after a killing blow because they can get killing blows easily with setup. That said, my dagger rogues also end up being good archers because there aren't that many skills that really support focusing on daggers. Thornfang is great but there's a good chance you won't have another enemy in melee range to use that point on so you have to shoot something to death if you want to attack and stay invisible with Rogue.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Dagger rogue really wants a combo of Thornfang+, Long Reach+ and Rogue (but not Rogue+) to truly go off. At that point you have way more flexibility to get your murder on. I've got a Crow-Rogue who's not quite as murderous as dagger rogue, but dosent rely as much on flanks, and she's pretty damn horrifying

• Options

I've been pushing the devs to implement a spend a legacy point ,reroll the level up screen rewards with no repeats option. Because there's some stuff - Long Reach, Zealous Leap (not needed if you're running a Sentinel build, but then you have other desires) that just feels if not mandatory, then very, very good to have - and hunting for the right build pieces either involves copious save scumming, or assembling a build across multiple runs, which is a huge time investment (I think, personally, a bit too much - Bumping things up to 2/3 characters depending on if 3 or 5 chapter, or even 3/4 would be really nice. Maybe there's a mod for that?)

You can make some insane powerhouses when you get going though. I've got a Warrior who's got the full wolf package, blueskin, Zealous leaps+, Battledance+ and usually comes in with Wolf+ and she's a combat monster - killing 3 different enemies in a turn levels of "dear god what the hell". You can do even worse if she gets Heroism+ in there.

Wolfcall's not on the essentials list? I've found that getting that one up is pretty essential to positioning on most of the larger maps.

Just put the final touches on the Eluna and the Moth campaign. The final fight gimmick was pretty interesting, but wow that can be an endurance fight.

• Options
    Glazius wrote: »

Wolfcall's not on the essentials list? I've found that getting that one up is pretty essential to positioning on most of the larger maps.

Just put the final touches on the Eluna and the Moth campaign. The final fight gimmick was pretty interesting, but wow that can be an endurance fight.

Wolfcall is nice to have and a fantastic team buff, but really relies on being able to get it running somehow. Great if you can put it on a Paladin warrior though and keep it rolling with that. But i usually only have a single warrior and a lot more mystics/hunters usually, so i'm happy having a single warrior as a burst character/mopup crew, and my other tends to be a long reach/broadswipes type (Which is waaay overpowered rightn ow)

• Options
    Found another fun bug, reported this time. If you have the II and III progressions or a new enemy and its II progression, and you lose enemy cards through years of peace or a special event, you can lose the II card when you have III, or new enemy when you have II, and you get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!

I don't think Tragic Hero works too good while I'm still in a more exploratory mode of play. I never had big encounters with the Drauven before so I ran their campaign going all "hey, I'll learn about Redcloaks and Pilots" and, yeah, I learned about them alright. Got through a town defense by the skin of my teeth by luring them through the big house and softening them up with Splintersalvo.

The last boss was actually kind of hilarious because I had a hunter with Archery and Ember Arrows, and a wolf who loved her.

Now to play some non-story campaigns. Do they throw in overworld wrinkles like floods and wildfires, or are they all straightforward?

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I think as I've played more of this the weakness in the procedural story telling generation becomes more clear. Eventually I get to a point where I just esc through all of it because I've seen it 4-5 times and know essentially what the best "answers" to most of it are. Same with some of the between story things like recruiting someone and so forth, they slow the game up a lot eventually without really adding any meaningful choices or interactions. I do love the whimsical style and charm, but this is becoming a bit of a barrier to me wanting to play more. I'm certain at some point I'm going to misremember something and end up screwing over a character because I forgot to read through all of it again to fully remember the context.

Will still kiss turtle every time though.

The problem is you're trading your better characters for it, making it a massive trap option. It's far better to just roam around with a stack of 5 characters and rush objectives quickly, keeping only what you need upgraded on them and winning ASAP. It seems contrary to the way the game is designed and what it wants you to actually do, but if you play on higher difficulties that's just what you do.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    I think as I've played more of this the weakness in the procedural story telling generation becomes more clear. Eventually I get to a point where I just esc through all of it because I've seen it 4-5 times and know essentially what the best "answers" to most of it are. Same with some of the between story things like recruiting someone and so forth, they slow the game up a lot eventually without really adding any meaningful choices or interactions. I do love the whimsical style and charm, but this is becoming a bit of a barrier to me wanting to play more. I'm certain at some point I'm going to misremember something and end up screwing over a character because I forgot to read through all of it again to fully remember the context.

Will still kiss turtle every time though.

The problem is you're trading your better characters for it, making it a massive trap option. It's far better to just roam around with a stack of 5 characters and rush objectives quickly, keeping only what you need upgraded on them and winning ASAP. It seems contrary to the way the game is designed and what it wants you to actually do, but if you play on higher difficulties that's just what you do.

Yeah, there's some real weaknesses at the highest levels, but it's still overall a brillaint game, and the weaknesses arent unsolvable. The first is just a matter of MOAR CONTENT, the latter is a case of balance and number tweaks so that loosing high level characters is less puniative, and it's more advantageous to get years of peace (Those giving an EXP bonus to everyone would really help, as an example)