As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Laptop power cords

BrodyBrody The WatchThe First ShoreRegistered User regular
We received a laptop from another employee for some wfh stuff, but when we pulled out the charger, there is a Dell brick with three prongs inset on the brick, and a wall to adapter cable that only has two holes/round bits, sort of like an infinity symbol. Am I supposed to just force it enough to plug in? Which of the three pins am I aiming for?

Adapter looks like

O..O
...O

Wall bit is like

O.O

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Just to confirm the plug looks like it would fit this wall hole.

yfebpdsijpbv.jpeg

And you live in an area where you see this.

8yyi1zeny9qe.jpeg

If that is the case, yo shit is wrong don’t force it you’ll trip the breaker, or burn up your power supply.

zepherin on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Nah. It's on the brick itself. So two prongs from the US wall outlet, then a black molded bit, kind of like a the old monitor/tower power thing, but thinner, and only two holes. The brick has a three hole/pin setup. Looking at the wear on the 2 slot bit, I managed to figure out how it was being used, and if I sort of angle it on the way in can finagle it over t byhe top two pins/into the top two holes.

dqcw0dy60613.jpg

9eo0ybml662z.jpg

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Brody wrote: »
    Nah. It's on the brick itself. So two prongs from the US wall outlet, then a black molded bit, kind of like a the old monitor/tower power thing, but thinner, and only two holes. The brick has a three hole/pin setup. Looking at the wear on the 2 slot bit, I managed to figure out how it was being used, and if I sort of angle it on the way in can finagle it over t byhe top two pins/into the top two holes.

dqcw0dy60613.jpg

9eo0ybml662z.jpg
    Oh, someone put in the wrong coord. You want one that looks like this:

lje9keikog3p.jpeg

Don’t force what you got Amazon overnight you the correct coord and expense it.

zepherin on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Sounds good. I couldn't find any info about it good or bad (forcing it) so I just assumed the previous owner obviously hadn't yet burnt their house down. I guess the boss will be providing a replacement.

Brody on

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    A cable with ground prong should be used for equipment that is designed to have a ground connection.

https://clearviewplumbing.ca/is-it-safe-to-cut-the-ground-prong/