Options

The Olympics is happening innit

SolarSolar Registered User regular
edited July 2021 in Social Entropy++
https://youtu.be/Qrym1Lk3c1Q

The Olympics are here! Which means we should have a thread. Suggested points of discussion

1) it's cool to see people striving really hard to push the limits of human physical ability!

2) how corrupt? Probably really fucking corrupt!

3) how many of these paragons of dedication are nailing the PEDs (as many as can get away with it is the answer)

4) how many people will collapse of heatstroke in the hottest summer games of all time

5) that guy who made a holocaust joke, what the fuck?!? Fired now though.

Solar on

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I 100% respect all of the athletes and they deserve the chance to compete considering all of the work they’ve done to get here.

The IOC can fucking die in a fire though.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Can it not be?

Between kicking a runner out for doing weed, the racist thing with the swim caps, and the thing with the paraathleats not being able to take their caretakers, not to mention the crazy Pandemic, can the Olympics just not?

• Options
    Nah the Olympics are fucking great conceptually and should always happen, but the IOC is often pretty dire. But the Olympics absolutely should be a thing.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Thinking about that Netflix documentary, Icarus. That was a good one. Went places. Check it out if you haven’t already.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Olympics during a pandemic, in a country that has fucked itself with half-hearted attempts to control the spread, is a bad idea no matter how long they've been running. Viruses don't give a shit about human institutions!

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Nah the Olympics are fucking great conceptually and should always happen, but the IOC is often pretty dire. But the Olympics absolutely should be a thing.

I like the concept of Big Sports

But hate Big Sport, you know

A more ethical Big Sports Day would be nice

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options

Yes I agree the concept is great, but maybe this isn't the year for it, and Tokyo isn't the place for it.

They maybe could have done a distance thing where not all of the athletes are in one place together

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    So far two Dutch Olympians cannot compete after contracting Covid. Both cases happened after they flew in to Japan on the same plane. https://nos.nl/l/2390303

In the case of the tae kwando fighter it is the end of her career.

I get that professional athletes are generally less risk adverse than me, but they should have just canceled everything and reimbursed the athletes. Now it's just a matter of time before a super spreader event or the first athlete ending up with Long Covid or worse.

Aldo on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    They should do it nude on a mountain in Greece every year, no press, no winter olympics thats fake

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Being an observer of Figure Skating culture, it is horrendous to see someone build their young life towards a singular event that happens once every 4 years, and then have to miss it.

But that isn't worth risking anyone's health.. and my god are the Olympics corrupt.

And it isn't even a recent thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4AhABManTw

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

Yes I agree the concept is great, but maybe this isn't the year for it, and Tokyo isn't the place for it.

They maybe could have done a distance thing where not all of the athletes are in one place together

It's been my brother's and I's ideal that a country hosts not a city as they have a better infrastructure to handle it that way [Russia the last winter they hosted basically did this for that reason}

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    They should do it nude on a mountain in Greece every year, no press, no winter olympics thats fake

You’re wrong, the winter one has all my favourite death traps. I love watching people throw themselves into a big bullet and crash down an ice track, it is second only to the skeleton, an event so named for the thing that will be utterly obliterated with one wrong move.

• Options

Can't have that can you, accusations of conditions from one place to another, micro differences making a couple of percentage points win and lose you events at that level

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I'll give up Luge when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

sig.gif
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    You can keep the same events in one place, but break them up along those lines. You don't need an olympic village or for your archers to be in the same place as your basketball players etc.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Winter Olympics has biathlon and curling, which are objectively the best sports therefore the Winter Olympics is the best Olympics

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Counterpoint: have all the events at the same time, on the same field.

Sure, you can run fast, but can you break the record while dodging a rain of javelins and shot puts?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    akajaybay wrote: »
    You can keep the same events in one place, but break them up along those lines. You don't need an olympic village or for your archers to be in the same place as your basketball players etc.

Ah yeah that's fair

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Skeleton is one of the most terrifying things I've seen.

Watching it feels like I'm going to die and I'm sitting on my ass in front of a computer monitor.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    There's also the thing where womens' sports actually genuinely get a more equitable spotlight during the Olympics than at any other time, when it comes to sport (issues of say, beach volleyball outfit requirements aside)

For ice hockey, for example, the pinnacle of Mens' Hockey is the Stanley Cup; for Womens', it's the Olympics, because most of the women cannot afford to solely play hockey and have to work other jobs to sustain their career in sport

It sucks! But it's nice to be able to pop on like, womens' judo and gymnastics and shit, and have female athletes/feminine coded sports be talked about to the same degree once every two years, at least

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options

Ah yeah that's fair

Yeah that was kind of more what I meant. I didn't explain it well enough

• Options

You are overlooking the biggest unofficial sport of the Olympics though, which is the traditional athlete orgy

If you split all the sports up there's gonna be a lot less fucking

Steam
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Winter Olympics has biathlon and curling, which are objectively the best sports therefore the Winter Olympics is the best Olympics

Sometimes on ship we would play curling with mops and ammunition cases, so it’s got a lot of nostalgic value for me.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

You are overlooking the biggest unofficial sport of the Olympics though, which is the traditional athlete orgy

orgy canceled this year because of anti sex beds, OBVIOUSLY

no way the most physically fit people in the world can figure out other ways to have sex

• Options
    Actually I thought they had posted showing how sturdy and absolutely fuckable on those beds are?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Actually I thought they had posted showing how sturdy and absolutely fuckable on those beds are?

this is also true yes the beds can support like 500 pounds of force, you can definitely fuck on them

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I think the anti-sex bed tale is a fake one. But I could be wrong. The actual bed story seemed to be more about them being recycIeable materials, not they're gonna fall apart if someone gets busy on them. Did hear they were still handing out the condoms but simultaneously asking folks to like abstain till they get home or whatever. So....I'm sure that'll go fine. They're up to 90+ positive tests so far.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    The beds were not designed for anti-sex, but moreso for recyclability, since the Games are pretty resource-intensive

However you only got up to 440lbf(uck force) so some calculus might be required beforehand

Steam
  • Options
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

this is also true yes the beds can support like 500 pounds of force, you can definitely fuck on them

I can't :cool:

• Options
    yes but that's because of the bog witch's curse, it has nothing to do with these beds in particular

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    My main Olympic opinion (aside from the obvious “not this year, and certainly not there”) is that if anything happens to Sky Brown I’m gonna fuckin riot
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_Brown

She just came back from fracturing her skull last May, and while I completely understand why she wants so badly to compete, especially in Japan, I am deeply unsure if her parents should have allowed her to go

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Actually I’m not unsure at all, they definitely should not have, but I understand how difficult that choice must have been

• Options
    I bet she wanted to go

But then they all do, they're all willing to catch the rona, they're all willing to take 20 years off their life to win a gold. Olympians don't give a fuck. They will ALWAYS want to compete. It's pretty admirable (but also like, why they also don't get to call the shots about whether it's safe)

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    It's not even just about the athletes. There's so many support people needed to pull off these Games and they're vulnerable too

• Options
    I bet she wanted to go

But then they all do, they're all willing to catch the rona, they're all willing to take 20 years off their life to win a gold. Olympians don't give a fuck. They will ALWAYS want to compete. It's pretty admirable (but also like, why they also don't get to call the shots about whether it's safe)

oh, yeah. There was an article talking about it and she really pushed her parents to let her go but also she's 13

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    We've already had our first Olympic heartwarming moment, when we handed an international debut to one of our women's footballers and they scored with their first touch of the ball. Ordinarily, of course, these games are being played in empty stadiums with no fans or supporters, but New Zealand is so small her brother is here as a cameraman with the NZ sport media team so he was one of the 30 press present in the stadium, where he was apparently censured for yelling and cheering (you're only supposed to clap, because Covid).

Anyway, that was nice. It's a shame no one got to see it, because our national broadcaster has been all "full coverage of every kiwi athlete in action"*
    *: Except if it happens before the opening ceremony, because nothing happens before that, right? Lol.

Anyway sport is great, capitalism is shit, let's hope the Covid games become a weird pub trivia thing 30 years from now rather than a significant historical super spreader event causing new waves of thousands of outbreaks around the globe.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

I can assure you there will always be fucking at olympic city

it is the most ancient of traditions

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    So far two Dutch Olympians cannot compete after contracting Covid. Both cases happened after they flew in to Japan on the same plane. https://nos.nl/l/2390303

In the case of the tae kwando fighter it is the end of her career.

I get that professional athletes are generally less risk adverse than me, but they should have just canceled everything and reimbursed the athletes. Now it's just a matter of time before a super spreader event or the first athlete ending up with Long Covid or worse.

You can't reimburse anyone when you've already spent their money.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    oh cool i was wondering when there'd be a SE++ covid thread

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    oh cool i was wondering when there'd be a SE++ covid thread

There is some beautiful post/sig synergy going on here, and I just wanted to be sure you knew I appreciated it.