[VTuber] thread: The character is virtual. Everything else is real.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I don't super keep up with hololive, but I do love that the one member whose character is just like, a regular-ass human, is the one most associated with being physically threatening

Oh, you mean suisei

I don't know which one that is

you should watch this video, it's a classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJJEiG0QOBI

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    she's also a very talented singer, and tetris player

sometimes at the same time!

https://youtu.be/7ht8TkuRgLA

uc3ufTB.png
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    My favorite suisei tetris video

https://youtu.be/gmeWApnyqqY

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I don't super keep up with hololive, but I do love that the one member whose character is just like, a regular-ass human, is the one most associated with being physically threatening

Oh, you mean suisei

I don't know which one that is

Hoshimachi Suisei.
    latest?cb=20191205132210

The most blatant Cinderella kind of story in Hololive. Basically worked herself out of nothing, applied multiple times to be an idol at various agencies, made her own original model and rig (which was recently lost due to a computer malfunction, if memory serves) before Hololive, the whole nine yards.

Affectionately dubbed "Suicopath" for her tendency to both figuratively and literally ax murder people in multiplayer games and cheerfully talk about maiming people inbetween karaoke songs. Also scary good at Tetris.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    part 2: we have to go deeper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aOuFggRsgo

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/gT4ISNrTAW4

Gundou Mirei, the most valid woman alive

Yeah, this was...basically my experience with that banner, so I feel for Gundou here

Way too many Xianglings and an off-banner Diluc for my pity

Of course, I ended up stopping after that

IKknkhU.gif
    Stilts wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/gT4ISNrTAW4

Gundou Mirei, the most valid woman alive

Yeah, this was...basically my experience with that banner, so I feel for Gundou here

Way too many Xianglings and an off-banner Diluc for my pity

Of course, I ended up stopping after that

Just like gundou did!

https://youtu.be/CpbFxHiCXoQ

Heres a fun timelapse of niji sub counts

You'll notice that kuzuha lags behind for a long, long time despite his baked in following

scarra is coming into vtubing with 1.5m followers, so wouldn't he be the biggest male vtuber now?

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Technically, but I think people will treat that as an asterisk stat. If Markiplier did one stream with a Vtuber avatar, would that suddenly make him the biggest Vtuber in the world? I think people would take issue with that.

edited September 2021
    I don't know, if he is straight up "I'm a vtuber now, I will be vtubing from now on" then.. that's a bit of gatekeeping. would he still have an asterisk after a month? 6 months? a year?

though in this case I'm not actually sure scarra has much viewership anymore. I've seen his streams at about 2-3k viewers, while bahroo has 15,000 people watching him play some balloon tower defense game right now. that said scarra does a lot of collabs with other vtubers and seems very much invested in the community, even if he's new.

Jars on
    it is absolutely incredible how kuzuha can get 15 thousand people to watch him do siege scrimmages in the middle of the night for japan

most of his primetime streams are topping 30K regularly now, regardless of content

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I think if someone with an existing channel who switched from not being a VTuber to being one and who really really wants to participate in the VTuber sub comparison game while also avoiding the asterisk would need to split their VTuber stuff off to a new channel to put themselves on a similar playing ground as the channels they're competing against. I think caring about comparing sub counts in that way is unlikely if you have a successful existing channel already though, which is why pretty much no one who makes that sort of pivot creates a new channel for it.

Opty on
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Comparing sub counts is kinda silly anyway. Like, just being part of Hololive EN gets you a ton of exposure and followers, if some of the talents pre-hololive numbers and current numbers are to be believed.

I guess it assumes everyone starts on an even footing, but that's clearly not the case. Giving out asterisks for not always being a vtuber seems silly to me, as some like Nyanners worked for years until they found success.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
  • Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    My favorite suisei tetris video

https://youtu.be/gmeWApnyqqY

Oh my god, thank you for posting this, I've been looking for this video for ages. It was my introduction to Suisei so I associate the song with her now, but I had so much trouble finding this video I assumed it had been taken down for copyright.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Nyanners is back to streaming on Twitch and got a 4000+% hyper train right away.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Nyanners is back to streaming on Twitch and got a 4000+% hyper train right away.

From Ironmouse spamming:
    NYANNERS IS THE GREATEST PERSON TO EVER EXIST IN THE WHOLE UNIVERSE FOREVER IN THE LIFE

To watching pink cat completely lose her thought stream to "awowowowwow" to a 200$ donation, this stream is very wholesome.

• DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Gura just got done bullying the life out of Mumei in Minecraft (literally killed her with an arrow lmao). I like how Gura was very specific about the collab ban being "no voice comms allowed," therefore appearing in streams "coincidentally" and Minecraft text chat was perfectly okay.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Darklyre wrote: »
    Gura just got done bullying the life out of Mumei in Minecraft (literally killed her with an arrow lmao). I like how Gura was very specific about the collab ban being "no voice comms allowed," therefore appearing in streams "coincidentally" and Minecraft text chat was perfectly okay.

Mumei also swore revenge. So that's something to look forward to.

I had both streams up and that was a hoot. Can't wait for the collab ban to run out, because I'm excited for Myth/Council interactions.

camo_sig2.png
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    it's only been two weeks?
    (it's already been two weeks??)

uc3ufTB.png
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    it's only been two weeks?
    (it's already been two weeks??)

HoloMyth's first debut anniversary is next week.

camo_sig2.png
    two weeks of council's first month/collab ban, that is

uc3ufTB.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I was wondering what was going to happen with 2 EN Minecraft streams at once.

It really seems like EN is pushing the rules. Makes me wonder why they are there.

He/Him | "We who believe in freedom cannot rest." - Dr. Johnetta Cole, 7/22/2024
    Athenor wrote: »

It really seems like EN is pushing the rules. Makes me wonder why they are there.

They are there so that each channel can establish an identity and fanbase and not have a core part of their streams when they're getting used to the way things go be sucking up to/trying to please more established streamers. You could say they could be more like... encouraged to do their own thing for a while, but what if every member of Myth asked for a collab with Kronii, would she feel comfortable turning them down? And what if nobody asked for a collab with Mumei, would she feel abandoned and crushed? (Names chosen at random for example purposes only). I wonder how many streams it takes to get used to having a live audience in the 5-10k range normally. I doubt very many of them have ANY experience with those kind of numbers. I honestly think it's a decent policy and more of a safe harbor than anything. The only place where it really needed adjustment was Irys, who didn't have the benefit of a generation to debut with and do collabs with, so fast tracking her to interacting with the group was a smart move in that specific case.

Every specific streamer has to answer the question of "what am I good at/ what do I like streaming" and also "what does my audience respond to?" While regular collabs are surely a part of that for a big group like Hololive, that can't be your whole thing if you want to be a successful channel. When the members grouse about waiting out the ban it's just because they're interested in meeting new people and are enthusiastic about streaming with them, it doesn't really mean the rule was ill conceived.

Merry made a short comic based on a local legend from Ironmouse. She worked with Merry on the design.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Oh damn, this is awesome. Hopefully Ironmouse can get her plasma before the show so she can be at full energy.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    A few members get a lot of abuse for gaining subscribers via Cover instead of doing it all solo.

One, this is a reminder of how far ahead ShibuHal plans this

Two, YOOOOOOOOOOO

me34dsyxf6ya.jpg

They are there so that each channel can establish an identity and fanbase and not have a core part of their streams when they're getting used to the way things go be sucking up to/trying to please more established streamers. You could say they could be more like... encouraged to do their own thing for a while, but what if every member of Myth asked for a collab with Kronii, would she feel comfortable turning them down? And what if nobody asked for a collab with Mumei, would she feel abandoned and crushed? (Names chosen at random for example purposes only). I wonder how many streams it takes to get used to having a live audience in the 5-10k range normally. I doubt very many of them have ANY experience with those kind of numbers. I honestly think it's a decent policy and more of a safe harbor than anything. The only place where it really needed adjustment was Irys, who didn't have the benefit of a generation to debut with and do collabs with, so fast tracking her to interacting with the group was a smart move in that specific case.

Every specific streamer has to answer the question of "what am I good at/ what do I like streaming" and also "what does my audience respond to?" While regular collabs are surely a part of that for a big group like Hololive, that can't be your whole thing if you want to be a successful channel. When the members grouse about waiting out the ban it's just because they're interested in meeting new people and are enthusiastic about streaming with them, it doesn't really mean the rule was ill conceived.

Plus it's only really Gura who's pushing things, the rest of EN are behaving themselves. And honestly, her stunt today turned what would have been Mumei's first solo Minecraft stream into being about her instead, the exact sort of thing the collab ban exists to prevent in the first place.
    PLA wrote: »
    A few members get a lot of abuse for gaining subscribers via Cover instead of doing it all solo.

I can say that at least for HoloEN, pretty much every single girl was attacked for getting subs through being a part of Hololive instead of doing it "on their own" (the only one I'm not sure about is Gura). Calli even wrote a song that in part called people like that out.

Opty wrote: »

Plus it's only really Gura who's pushing things, the rest of EN are behaving themselves. And honestly, her stunt today turned what would have been Mumei's first solo Minecraft stream into being about her instead, the exact sort of thing the collab ban exists to prevent in the first place.

I can say that at least for HoloEN, pretty much every single girl was attacked for getting subs through being a part of Hololive instead of doing it "on their own" (the only one I'm not sure about is Gura). Calli even wrote a song that in part called people like that out.

I think that's extremely unkind to call it a stunt or imply it was selfish or that it stole her entire stream. Mumei streamed Minecraft for 2 hours and 20 minutes, less than 15 minutes of that were Gura teasing her. She explicitly got management clearance before doing anything and then backed off after the interaction finished. Also, many other members of Myth interacted with Council on their first Minecraft stream, so Gura wasn't even the first to do that. If Gura followed Mumei around the entire stream or asked her to do something, yeah that would have been a bit much. Creating a memorable moment in both streams that Mumei reacted well to... I don't see why you'd try to spin that in such a negative way?

Off that topic,
    https://youtu.be/tOJ1owekqJY
    Miko accidentally unlocks a certain route with Elite English.

I think that's extremely unkind to call it a stunt or imply it was selfish or that it stole her entire stream. Mumei streamed Minecraft for 2 hours and 20 minutes, less than 15 minutes of that were Gura teasing her. She explicitly got management clearance before doing anything and then backed off after the interaction finished. Also, many other members of Myth interacted with Council on their first Minecraft stream, so Gura wasn't even the first to do that. If Gura followed Mumei around the entire stream or asked her to do something, yeah that would have been a bit much. Creating a memorable moment in both streams that Mumei reacted well to... I don't see why you'd try to spin that in such a negative way?
    Not a single Myth member logged in during Bae's Minecraft stream (the first one on the EN server) except for Gura, who only did it for a split second. Mumei and Kronii logged on and got on voice chat with Bae while Sana and Fauna both popped up in chat. And I'm spinning it in a negative way because the vast majority of the clips coming out are about Gura and Mumei's interactions (including the post right before yours) and not about anything Mumei did on her own.

edited September 2021

Not a single Myth member logged in during Bae's Minecraft stream (the first one on the EN server) except for Gura, who only did it for a split second. Mumei and Kronii logged on and got on voice chat with Bae while Sana and Fauna both popped up in chat. And I'm spinning it in a negative way because the vast majority of the clips coming out are about Gura and Mumei's interactions (including the post right before yours) and not about anything Mumei did on her own.

Clippers are opportunists who produce clips that are hopefully going to be widely appreciated. "Massively popular Gura has a funny interaction with a cute Vtuber" is a solid gold clip. "New Vtuber you might not be familiar with slowly learns the basics of Minecraft" is not. This doesn't mean Mumei's entire stream was pointless, it just might not have otherwise lent itself to clips. I actually went looking for Sana clips briefly and didn't really get any hits. That doesn't mean her streams have been bad, clippers just apparently haven't found a ton of material they want yet.

Regarding the other EN members, yeah I think I was misremembering another incident, possibly with JP members visiting EN or something like that. Basically Calli and Kiara dropped by with mats or directions and then went off again.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    There was plenty of comedic moments that got clipped, meme'd, or talked about of Gura and co struggling with the basics of Minecraft while they learned the game. Literally the only thing coming out of Mumei's stream is that Gura showed up.

steam_sig.png
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I have seen english, japanese and chinese Sana-clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwIE8QX_CN0

"New Vtuber you might not be familiar with slowly learns the basics of Minecraft" sometimes doesn't get much attention until they stop being new, like this clipped over a year after airing. I'm struggling to find other clips than this one even when googling in japanese, even though I see people talk about it from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSudedeT4xI

PLA on
    https://youtu.be/Ft8sVirjOwM

A healthy balance is important