As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] Let Loose

JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp.I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
HELL LET LOOSE is a new squad-based WWII FPS that came out of early access a week or two ago for PC and is due out later this year for Xbox/PS5.

It also rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjjhPqGZMMU

The setup is pretty simple. It's WWII. There are two sides fighting for control of a map in battles that last between 30-60 minutes. Each side has up to 50 (!) players, one of whom is an overall battlefield commander who gets a detailed, RTS-like map of the situation, can summon in various assets like air raids and supply drops (and can do this more often as territory is taken and resources are captured), and can issue orders.

The twist is that the commander isn't ordering little NPC sprites, but the other 49 players on the team.

Thankfully, that doesn't mean you're on voice comms with all of these people. Each side is divided into multiple squads of varying sizes (up to 6 per infantry squad, 3 for a tank crew, or 2 for a sniper/spotter recon team). Squadmates can only talk to each other or in proximity chat. Each squad has a commander who has a second voice channel with which to speak to the general and the other squad commanders.

What this means is that success isn't just about having leet FPS skills - in fact, being great at bunny-hopping, circle-strafing, and shooting may carry little weight here, as almost all non-diagetic information is stripped away, leaving you firing your bolt-action rifle at a distant speck that might be a bad guy or might be a bush, and with no popups telling you "jacobkosh annihilated xXFartHammerXx", so...did you get 'im? Or did they just take cover? Or were never there? Who knows! The guns are chunky and have a real kick; as my friend Other Jake put it, they feel like instruments of death that you point in a direction and hope for the best rather than surgical scalpels that let you cleanly remove enemies.

Instead, what matters is communication and coordination. When you see something, you need to flag it to your squad leader, who in turn passes it up to command, who come back with orders. So a recon squad saw a tank heading west? Cool, their squad leader will phone that in and command might call in an air strike, or order another tank to intercept, or call in Baker squad with the bazooka. Your squad leader will get on comms and say "okay, folks, we've got to secure the objective. We need to take that village church and fortify it" or "we need to pull back to the river and keep them from crossing the bridge!" Being part of a team that rises as one, vaults over a stone wall in the French countryside, and charges an enemy position under cover of smoke is both exhilarating and genuinely terrifying in a way I've never really felt in a military shooter before.

You can contribute in ways other than shooting, too. Medics can revive downed allies (unless the ally was headshot, in which case they're out of luck, lol), engineers can build entrenchments and sandbags, machine gunners can post up in a nest and dump huge amounts of lead downrange, sappers can destroy tanks and enemy fortifications, etc. For someone like me, who for obvious reasons isn't a great shooterman, it's really cool to be able to meaningfully help in a myriad of other ways.

The maps are realistically huge, with things rendered in 1:1 scale, but thankfully, dying doesn't mean either waiting an hour+ for the end of the match or hoofing it back from base. Squad commanders can use captured resources to build Garrisons and Outposts, respawn points that allow your squad - or your entire army - to quickly return to the front lines (or even behind them, if you're clever and sneaky). Of course, the enemy will be building these too, so finding them and rooting them out is an important part of gameplay.

The game strikes a balance between being xxleet hardcorez like ARMA and accessible and zany like Battlefield. Nobody's hopping out of planes onto other planes here, but at the same time, the interface isn't opaque and you don't feel like you're being punished for not being a turbo-grognard who knows everything about the turn speed of a Sherman turret or whatever. The interface is clean and slick and the whole project is surprisingly accessible.

TL;DR: I want chatters to grab this! I want to make this a thing! It's really good, y'all.

Polygon article from today: https://www.polygon.com/22620125/world-war-2-team-shooter-100-players-hell-let-loose-explained

the Waypoint gang streaming a couple quality hours of content here (hot xxx tank action starts about 90 minutes in):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjzfatILQBQ&t=7098s

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    this is definitely one of those games i don't have any interest in playing but i will gleefully read the stories other people post about it

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    oh damn thats good

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Chanus wrote: »
    this is definitely one of those games i don't have any interest in playing but i will gleefully read the stories other people post about it

That's surprising! You're a Destiny, I thought this sort of thing might be up your alley.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    That does look cool. As one of those guys who plays on the PC with a controller all the time, I’m interested in multiplayer games that don’t always require precision shooting.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

That's surprising! You're a Destiny, I thought this sort of thing might be up your alley.

i don't honestly know why i liked Destiny so much (until i very much didn't)

shooters really don't tend to be my thing

it's probably because i played with @Haphazard a lot and he's just so darned friendly

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

it's probably because i played with Haphazard a lot and he's just so darned friendly

Unlike Jacob, who I can tell you from experience, is a real piece of shit.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    you saying jacob isn't friendly?

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Kamiro wrote: »
    you saying jacob isn't friendly?

i'm super mean

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I spent four days with him driving out to CA and he was inhumanly cruel to me at every turn.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I spent four days with him driving out to CA and he was inhumanly cruel to me at every turn.

I mean, the straight roads were all fine and such, but it was the turns where he got the knives out.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

it's probably because i played with Haphazard a lot and he's just so darned friendly

Unlike Jacob, who I can tell you from experience, is a real piece of shit.

I dunno if I'm just a little punchy since my work day is about to be over, or what, but I laughed hard at this post.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Once kosh ignored my safe word and ate my burrito as I lay there in our intricate shiribari

He ate it, in my innocence

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    Once kosh ignored my safe word and ate my burrito as I lay there in our intricate shiribari

implicit in the very existence of the burrito is that it is to be eaten, by me

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Monster...!

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

this is just to say
    I have eaten the burrito,

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

this is just to say
    I have eaten the burrito,

Have you eaten the pam-cake?

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    I wanna play war with yall so you can hear me cry on mic for 45 mins

Im a sensitive corpse

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    this video game seems to combine literally everything i hate in video games: the third dimension, teamwork, ww2 aesthetics, and massive player counts.

i still think it looks pretty cool, just never gonna play it in my life.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    That game seems pretty cool. Hopefully they've structured the mechanics such that people play it the way it's supposed to be played. Those kind of games always work best when everyone is playing more or less "in character".

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Be honest chat.

How many of your SO’s are a little too into serial killers?

• Options
    Lucedes wrote: »
    this video game seems to combine literally everything i hate in video games: the third dimension, teamwork, ww2 aesthetics, and massive player counts.

i still think it looks pretty cool, just never gonna play it in my life.
    The fourth dimension, though, that's cool. It's that stinky third one that keeps fucking everything up.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    btw I want to take this opportunity to plug Kana's awesome Master & Commander thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/241519/nautical-book-club-lets-read-the-aubrey-maturin-series#latest

these books are so good you guys aaaagh

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    Be honest chat.

https://youtu.be/J4RdcE6H4Gs

Hahnsboo has seen SO many Murder Shows.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Be honest chat.

She's not into modern true crime but years ago she'd be on a Jack the Ripper kick when she was upset, would binge Wikipedia for a night and would be super-weird after

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I hear Jacob once crossed the street to kick a puppy

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Also, Grandma passed around 5:15 PM today, shortly after they took her off oxygen.

• Options
    i just like haps i wasn't implying anything else!

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Be honest chat.

DateGrrl was pitching me today on her ideas for a serial killer “story”

I think we know she means alibi

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Also, Grandma passed around 5:15 PM today, shortly after they took her off oxygen.

:bro:

We're here if you need us.

• Options

I want to be clear that I was not trying to suggest you were saying anything about Jacob or the others who might be playing this game.

I purely just wanted to call him a piece of shit.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    I’m actually fine. I obviously miss her and I wish I’d gotten another chance to see her because it’s been a few years since we got together in person, but to some extent I knew this was coming.

I mostly feel for Dad and my aunts, who were a lot closer to her.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Be honest chat.

this just reminded me about the murder mystery book Irving Finkel co-wrote. He talks about it here starting at 18:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOwP0KUlnZg

The book is out and is called The Writing in the Stone. just added that to the ole amazon cart

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

so you don't like jacob

i see

• Options
    Be honest chat.

did you settle your differences?

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    tfw you can't tell if you have long covid or if you're fat

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Be honest chat.

"So in this story, the killer starts dating this person solely to use them as a scapegoat for the murders. See all the bodies and evidence are stored in the apartment but the killer's name isn't even on the lease and nobody in the building ever sees them, so everyone assumes it's the other person. It's brilliant!"

• Options

I want to be clear that I was not trying to suggest you were saying anything about Jacob or the others who might be playing this game.

I purely just wanted to call him a piece of shit.

look i get it

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular

That's surprising! You're a Destiny,
    mods

This discussion has been closed.