As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Like a Dragon]: Infinite Wealth out on all platforms!

Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
edited January 26 in Social Entropy++
New games incoming!

Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name, set between Yakuza 6 and Like A Dragon

https://youtu.be/Fxkn-dcy01k

https://youtu.be/j5uq1i7vt9k

And finally the next mainline turn-based game, Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth!

https://youtu.be/myqPtYGVMz0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q1HRYrO1Gw

You know what this series is by now! You love it! Go play them. GO PLAY THEM ALL

Grey Ghost on

• Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    I'm on the last (I think) section of Yakuza 4 and I think this might be my least favorite? At the very least I think it had too many protagonists and there was one particular moment that was so gross and jarring that it almost made me stop playing.
    What was up with the casual implication that Saejima was a pedophile? And also that Kiryu was just kinda ... fine with it? That shit was awful, and I'm hoping nothing like it ever comes up again, though I'm nervous knowing Haruka is playable in 5.

• Options
    I'll be honest I mostly started the new thread because I want to talk about my new favorite part of Yakuza lore: Joon-gi Han

Spoilers for 6, LAD and I guess Online?
    there have been several Joon-gi Hans. Obviously we first see the one in 6, and the one in LAD is specifically his body double, but RGG Online has another Joon-gi operating in Tokyo in 1999 and it's mentioned he was trained by a previous Joon-gi

And the one in LAD makes it clear he's going to continue the tradition and train a new one

Joon-gi Han is immortal

• Options
    edited August 2021
    WheatBun01 wrote: »
    I'm on the last (I think) section of Yakuza 4 and I think this might be my least favorite? At the very least I think it had too many protagonists and there was one particular moment that was so gross and jarring that it almost made me stop playing.
    What was up with the casual implication that Saejima was a pedophile? And also that Kiryu was just kinda ... fine with it? That shit was awful, and I'm hoping nothing like it ever comes up again, though I'm nervous knowing Haruka is playable in 5.
    I think it's just supposed to play like, he's been in prison for so long and this is the first girl or woman of any age he's seen in years and he reacts in... a certain manner

I don't think that scene needed to exist though!

But it's not an ongoing thing or, far as we know, a preference of his, and absolutely nothing in that vein ever comes up again

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    WheatBun01 wrote: »
    I think it's just supposed to play like, he's been in prison for so long and this is the first girl or woman of any age he's seen in years and he reacts in... a certain manner

I don't think that scene needed to exist though!

But it's not an ongoing thing or, far as we know, a preference of his, and absolutely nothing in that vein ever comes up again
    That's good to know! I liked him outside of that, but it was so jarring that it kind of took me out of his entire section. I really liked his tearful speech about how much he regrets killing those people, but it was just so ... weird. Thank you for the clarification.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I am on the second to lost boss fight and am eager to click spoilers but must abstain

But Yakuza 7 is real good, y'all

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    I think I was really pleasantly surprised by how positive and idealistic LAD is in the end. The other games aren't exactly downers but the way LAD committed to this uplifting story of underdogs was really just what I needed right now

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I think I was really pleasantly surprised by how positive and idealistic LAD is in the end. The other games aren't exactly downers but the way LAD committed to this uplifting story of underdogs was really just what I needed right now

Letting Judgment lean hard into the noir freed mainline Yakuza up in a REALLY satisfying way

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I started playing the Fist of the North Star game over the weekend

I'm pretty sure that bartender minigame was designed just to break controllers

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »

MixmixmixMIXMIXMIXMIXMIX

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Mysst wrote: »

MixmixmixMIXMIXMIXMIXMIX
    k6i46tihwyhe.png

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular

MixmixmixMIXMIXMIXMIXMIX

you are already drunk

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I had some Takoyaki in Little Tokyo. The exterior is delicious, but I'm not fond of the chewy texture of octopus.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular

MixmixmixMIXMIXMIXMIXMIX
    k6i46tihwyhe.png

this is still the best moment in any yakuza game

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Just finished LAD and uh longer thoughts later but holy shit

Steam
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Emotionally, it's my favorite Yakuza ending. It's what solidified Ichiban as my favorite Yakuza protagonist.

A++++ maximum quality voice acting from all players involved, Japanese and English.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Emotionally, it's my favorite Yakuza ending. It's what solidified Ichiban as my favorite Yakuza protagonist.

A++++ maximum quality voice acting from all players involved, Japanese and English.
    I got to that scene at like 11:30pm but I was utterly engrossed in spite of how tired I was.

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8al78NOugpg

I... what?

Collecting Staminans instead of bananas is a nice touch.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I have no idea why that Monkey Ball video made me think of this, I guess the idea of putting Kiryu into other video games.

If it doesn't already exist, there should be a RE2 mod that makes you Kiryu and Mr. X Majima with all the appropriate voice lines.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options

Honestly love how Ichiban is allowed to be openly emotional and cry; the acting and animation was *so good* there

Ichiban truly refusing to give up was on a knife edge of going too far/going on too long and the purity of that emotion really sold you on how far he was willing to go to try and rescue his friend from himself

I'm really surprised how well realized every character was in this game while also being tremendously lovable dirtbags

Especially having played it bit by bit from the Fall to now, I valued how real the relationships felt, and the way the characters connected over drinks or had silly small-talk on the street. It was kind of a hit of the social energy I was missing, having been locked down and all

I've talked about it a bunch with Grey Ghost and Rorschach, but I'm eager to see where they go from here as they've thrown off a lot of the weight of the previous Yakuza games and have really given themselves room to expand in new directions without the Tojo/Omi structure hanging over them, and that's great

Steam
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    -SPI- wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8al78NOugpg

I... what?

Collecting Staminans instead of bananas is a nice touch.

The guy in charge of Yakuza, Toshihiro Nagoshi, was/is the producer and director of the Monkey Ball series

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    So Yagami's Master System in Judgment 2 has 8!! games on it.

Below!
    Alex Kidd in Miracle World
    Fantasy Zone
    Penguin Land
    Quartet
    Enduro Racer
    Woody Pop
    Maze Hunter 3-D
    Secret Command

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Finally started Judgment. Yagami's a lot more interesting than either Kiryu or Ichiban, at least it's a bit different than the norm.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I spent literally all of Yagami's 13k yen on Fighting Vipers down to 1 yen.

Still didn't beat the game.

True yakuza detective life.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    7 minutes of Lost Judgment story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7ekk-bRKCE

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Whoa
    Exclusive: China's NetEase is in final negotiations to poach Yakuza franchise creator Toshihiro Nagoshi from Sega.

I'm quite sure Ryu Ga Gotoku team is more than capable of continuing the series without Nagoshi, but it's still a crazy thought.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure what NetEase is but I'm guessing they don't make anything I would want and this is very sad news.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I'm not sure what NetEase is but I'm guessing they don't make anything I would want and this is very sad news.

NetEase is a Chinese game maker much in the vein of Tencent. Apparently they're trying to make a go at them competitively and are poaching talented game developers cause of it.

As for the Yakuza news it is concerning but I think Yakuza has a formula that the rest of the team should be familiar with by this time. And who know maybe whoever takes over will bring in some good ideas.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    NetEase does mobile games, they also publish Western online games in China. They're the ones behind the upcoming Diablo Immortal for phones, and they also publish all of Blizzard's stuff, and are the devs behind a bunch of popular mobile games like Identity V and Knives Out

• Options
    Lost Judgment is getting some interesting DLC, here's the important bits

Yakuza Fan
    @YakFan
    Replying to
    @YakFan
    Detective life enhancement pack (Free Day 1)
    Girlfriend Story Pack (3 additional women to date with exclusive stories), elixir recipes, extra master system games, new colors for your dog, a new skate park, a hover board, drone and an extra hard boss "Super Amon" 3/10
    Extra Master System Software is:
    Fantasy Zone 2, Alien Syndrome, SDI, Darius II
    All can be played from within Yagami's office. 5/10
    The Youth Drama Pack (Release date TBD)
    This DLC pack includes new items for your Dance Club (including Yagami with glasses!), an enhanced robot to use in the robot battle club, enhanced bikes for the bike racing minigame, extra partners for the Boxing Gym, and... 8/10
    An entirely new fighting style for Yagami to use on the streets; Boxing style. The progression of this style will be linked to your level in the boxing gym and will also include a leveling system to unlock Yagami's true power using skill points. 9/10
    Masaharu Kaito's Casebook (Paid DLC, Release date TBD)
    This story DLC can be accessed from Lost Judgment's main menu after purchasing from the PSN store. You'll play as Kaito working to solve an exclusive mystery. No further details have been released as of yet. 10/10
    To clarify; The DLC packs: Youth drama fulfillment pack, & Detective life enhancement pack, and Kaito story DLC are only free with the Lost Judgment Deluxe edition. The standard edition will be an extra fee.
    11/10 (Sorry!)

playable Kaito DLC sounds sick

• Options
    Guess I'm buying the deluxe edition then

• Options
    I've seen speculation that the Kaito DLC is them testing the waters for a protagonist change going forward, if that talent agency continues being weirdos

Though I imagine it would've had to be in the works well before that was an issue if it's available day 1

• Options
    Bah stupid digital deluxes. Is this one of those things where we can upgrade our physical versions to digital deluxe?

• Options
    Looks like the Kaito dlc isn't out until next year

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    SEGA gonna fucking SEGA, huh?

Not surprising, if you've ever had a look at Persona DLC offerings

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Briefly considered replaying Judgment before the sequel comes out, but then I remembered the Keihin Gang and nevermind

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah the way things are sounding this made be Yagami's last game.

Which is a shame since I liked him.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    protag swap to kaito was the first thing i thought of when all the talent agency shit started coming to light

i kinda hope that is the case, i like him

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Briefly considered replaying Judgment before the sequel comes out, but then I remembered the Keihin Gang and nevermind

I replayed it about a month ago.
    The Kehin Gang are still really bad.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    I'm not OPPOSED to Kaito taking over, but I have some small concern that he'd end up feeling like Kiryu Lite