As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SNES 30th Anniversary Thread

KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
The SNES has turned 30. Here is Paul Rudd introducing us to it.
https://youtu.be/eSBFw93V3Rg
Post all SNES nostalgia here.

• Options
    Paul Rudd is older than he seems.

• Options
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Super Metroid defined my taste in games, art, and music.

Fuck yeah Super Metroid.

• Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    SNES remains my favorite console of all time. Super Mario World, Zelda LTTP, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, all the FF games...not to mention that the form factor and controller still hold up. I remember going from NES to SNES was a total game-changer.

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Mercade wrote: »
    SNES remains my favorite console of all time. Super Mario World, Zelda LTTP, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, all the FF games...not to mention that the form factor and controller still hold up. I remember going from NES to SNES was a total game-changer.

My brother and I had to mow so many lawns but we finally got SNES with LttP and Super Mario World. Eventually added FF3 (6) and man, just kept being a great system.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
      I originally wanted to get an Atari Lynx because I wasn’t particularly excited about SMW. I chose Blue Thunder over that. Then I played SMW and realized what an idiot child I was. I soon corrected my mistake. I still have the Lynx. What was I thinking?

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    • Options
      GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
      Krathoon wrote: »

You know what's really fucked up?

He's a no condiments guy. No sauces, no dips, no ketchup, no whatever.

Dry fries, etc, all the way.

He's a dry boy.

Which, yes, does seem to be the path to eternal youth, but at what cost?

Anyway, yeah, the SNES is my all time favourite console. Bring back Ogre Battle.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
    • Options
      I need to find someone to replace the batteries in my cartridges.

• Options
      DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
      I was a Genesis kid back in the day, but years later I was fixing a neighbours computer and I didn't want to take any money.
      She instead said she was throwing out some of her kids old video game stuff.

I said sure I'll take it, she dropped the bag off later as I think she was still collecting it all.

Bag contained the following

- 2x SNES systems
      - 3x Controllers
      - 20 different game cartridges

This was probably around 2003, but man I dove hard into it. The only game I ended up buying for it was Rock 'n Roll racing as all the other hits were in that bag.

• Options
      HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
      So many great memories of childhood tied up in the SNES. In retrospect, it's incredible to me that 13-year-old me was able to raise $70 in 1993 money to buy all the expensive jRPG cartridges like FF4, FF6, Chrono Trigger -- it would be like paying $125 per game these days! I think nearly every penny from my part-time job for three years went to SNES games.

• Options
      JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
      Grislo wrote: »

You know what's really fucked up?

He's a no condiments guy. No sauces, no dips, no ketchup, no whatever.

Dry fries, etc, all the way.

He's a dry boy.

Which, yes, does seem to be the path to eternal youth, but at what cost?

Anyway, yeah, the SNES is my all time favourite console. Bring back Ogre Battle.

https://youtu.be/ZbLcY0XeVY4

• Options
      XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
      LttP will probably always be my favorite game ever

• Options
      JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
      My dad went and bought Super Metroid because he heard it was good from a colleague

I remember the music scaring me at first, but then he told me it was a puzzle game and I’ve been hooked ever since

• Options
      Super Metroid's ending was great. I also like how the place started to wake up when you got there.

• Options
      I was kind of late to the party on the SNES. My parents would not get me one. I ended up buying one after college and collected games. Now, I dump my cartridges and play them in an emulator. I also got one of those Analog clones.

• Options
      Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
      edited August 2021
      I bought one of these babies a couple months ago and haven't looked back. It legitimately gets more playtime than my PS5 does:

So far I've beaten Actraiser, Front Mission, about 1/2 of Earthbound, a couple levels of Sunset Riders, and I'm currently playing through a sidescroller called Hagane which is a really great ninja gaiden-esque game about a ninjas brain inside a robot body. How I missed this game as a child is beyond me.

The SNES truly was and is a magical console. Thank God that Circuit City worker sold my dad on the Super FX chip.

Handsome Costanza on
      Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
      Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    • Options
      Yeah. I also have an Analogue Super NT. I just need to get the batteries replaced in my cartridges. I could get one of those flashcarts.

• Options
      ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

And yet he is ageless.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    • Options
      SNES games are pretty expensive to buy now. I wouldn't mind Sunset Riders and Wild Guns.

• Options
      I see that there is a Wild Guns Reloaded for the Switch.

• Options
    • Options
      Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
      The Super Nintendo to this day is still one of my favorite consoles ever. There was just something magical about it. While not a hardcore collector, and I've sold a few things off recently, this is my current SNES collection:

OA2rXkXh.jpg

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
      Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
      PSN - Brainiac_8
      Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
      Add me!
    • Options
      I have a copy of Zombies Ate My Neighbors from eBay that some kid wrote his name on it in marker. I used that Magic Eraser and it took it right off. Fortunately, he did not write on the label.

• Options
      There is an AtGames console that has all the Super Star Wars games.
      It is this one.
      https://youtu.be/s0YT8Y1HtuU

• Options
      Yea, I really need to clean the marker off. I hate how much people did that back during the NES/SNES era.

The Super Star Wars games I love, but man, they are brutally hard. :bigfrown:

PSN - Brainiac_8
      Add me!
    • Options
      edited August 2021
      That Legends Flashback also has Lion King and Jungle Book. There is also Alladin. I think that is the Genesis one. It is kind of a grab bag of games from different systems. It seems like it didn't have any bugs.

The Deluxe version also has The Immortal from the Genesis. It is the gory version.

Krathoon on
    • Options
      I don't tend to trust anything made by Atgames. Their quality usually isn't great.

PSN - Brainiac_8
      Add me!
    • Options
      PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
      The SNES was kind of a golden age for 2d games, having enough power to be absolutely gorgeous and before 3D started taking over.

I love how well all that old pixel art holds up today.

Steam: Polaritie
      3DS: 0473-8507-2652
      Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
      PSN: AbEntropy
    • Options
      Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
      I was kind of late to the party on the SNES. My parents would not get me one. I ended up buying one after college and collected games. Now, I dump my cartridges and play them in an emulator. I also got one of those Analog clones.

I was in the same boat - I had a Genesis but never a SNES until after college. My son has one now, he's slowly working up a decent collection, but they get pricey for the good stuff. He's been playing through Secret of Mana recently - that was a bit of a splurge but seemed worth it.

• Options
      Brainiac 8 wrote: »
      I don't tend to trust anything made by Atgames. Their quality usually isn't great.

This one was pretty good. It is also flashable, so they could fix their bugs.

• Options
      edited August 2021
      Limited Run re-released Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Ghoul Patrol on cartridge. Kind of pricey though. They also made transparent red and green versions.
      https://limitedrungames.com/products/zombies-ate-my-neighbors-classic-edition-snes?variant=39715746840629
      https://limitedrungames.com/products/ghoul-patrol-classic-edition-snes?variant=39715753656373

They are sold out now. It takes like a half a year before they finish making them.

I am hoping they didn't mess with the roms too much. I assume they have to change the copyright information.

Krathoon on
    • Options
      edited August 2021
      Still, A Link to the Past was a stupid title. It made no sense in the game. They should have kept the Japanese title, Triforce of the Gods

Krathoon on
    • Options
      XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
      Brainiac 8 wrote: »
      Yea, I really need to clean the marker off. I hate how much people did that back during the NES/SNES era.

The Super Star Wars games I love, but man, they are brutally hard. :bigfrown:

I beat Super Star Wars twice in a row without dying once. It was the only game I owned for quite some time and once you get the plasma pistol, all you really need to worry about is jumps

• Options
      I guess A Link to the Past was referring to the past events in the intro. Still, Triforce of the Gods would have been cooler.
      https://youtu.be/iC0KIrKIEYM

• Options
      I guess I threw away the box to my Legends Flashback Deluxe. Darn.

• Options
      https://youtu.be/LZ5nX0FTH6Q
      This shows how Earthbound can be annoying.

• Options
      38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
      If you have kids I played through Secret of Mana with my 7 year old last year and we really enjoyed it. I played as the girl who could heal for most of it to keep us alive but we had a great time.

https://youtu.be/LZ5nX0FTH6Q
      This shows how Earthbound can be annoying.

I mean, not anymore annoying than any other RPG of the time or earlier. I feel like a lot of the complaints are manufactured for his angry persona.

38thDoE on steam
      🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
      OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
      Hello folks, this seems like a cool spot to ask for tips: I am trying to play through Link to the past for the first time on the SNES thing for the Switch.

I have gotten the amulet from the bottom right dungeon, but the desert dungeon has weird runes at the entrance, and I don't think I can get to that top right rocky dungeon, either. I tried exploring the top left woods to see the master sword, but otherwise feel stuck.

Anyone got any tips or hints? The fortune teller told me I needed a book of mordu or somesuch, but otherwise I feel lost. I see a book atop a library shelf south of the town, but *shrug*!

• Options
      38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
      You need a book to translate the language.
      I think you get it by dashing into a bookshelf in town.

38thDoE on steam
      🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
      OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
      I tried literally everything BUT dashing into it, haha, thanks!

It's quite refreshing to play games that do not handhold in the slightest!