As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I mean, you control your kids whereabouts, they don't have to hang out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    At this point, people who remain unvaccinated have rolled the dice. Assuming this new variant isn't more lethal than Delta, I'd be surprised if lock downs continue more than on a temporary basis.

Or are toddlers.

Or are just under the age of 12 because vaccines for the 5-12 range have only very recently been approved.

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    The pandemic has destroyed my son's social development.

"Just don't let your kid have friends" is not the real awesome advice you think it is.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Shit the pandemic has destroyed my social development as a full grown adult

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Someone with a lot of medical issues is likely to get pretty sick from covid.

• Options
    BSoB wrote: »

"Just don't let your kid have friends" is not the real awesome advice you think it is.

They can have friends with non anti vaxx parents. We've dropped family for being anti vaxx and anti mask "ah do what ah want" types.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    We see my partner's friends as regularly as pre Covid cause they're all scientists, vaccinated, and careful. I'm lucky that no one in my social groups turned out to be antivaxxers but they'd have been dropped easily.

Granted I'm not extremely social, but there's plenty of safe folks around.

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

They can have friends with non anti vaxx parents. We've dropped family for being anti vaxx and anti mask "ah do what ah want" types.

You’re trivializing the costs associated with taking a kids friend away, for reasons they won’t really understand. Just because it’s possible doesn’t mean it’s always a good idea. Risk of infection isn’t 100% and risk of depression or other mental side effects from losing a friend isn’t 0%.

It’s possible to offer advice without making it sound like the person you’re giving advice to is a total idiot for not considering the most obvious solution. Maybe we can just assume they’re smart enough to have also thought of that, but dismissed it for good reasons.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

Unfortunately my son still plays with my neighbor whose father is a Trump supporting, anti-masker, anti-vaxxer. I'd love to tell him no but honestly if they're playing outside and getting some exercise in... I have a hard time saying no. He is not welcome into the house until everyone's vaccinated though.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Unfortunately my son still plays with my neighbor whose father is a Trump supporting, anti-masker, anti-vaxxer. I'd love to tell him no but honestly if they're playing outside and getting some exercise in... I have a hard time saying no. He is not welcome into the house until everyone's vaccinated though.

:bro:

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    The mother of my daughter's best friend is not vaccinated.

Originally I thought this was because of her myriad of medical issues and that she had gotten an actual medical exemption. And it still kind of is.

She does had a myriad of medical issues, and has applied for an official exemption. However, this exemption was declined as her medical issues have no real shown reaction to Pfizer but she's 'done her own research' and made herself crazy of the possible reactions, and so wanted a shot. Whereas the current criteria here is 'get the first shot and if you exhibit any reactions/side effects at all, then you can be exempt from the second shot." which she is convinced is the govt trying to kill her.

I left the conversation at that point, but overheard the rest of how the Pfizer vaccine is 'gene manipulation therapy' and how the other option that the govt is providing for those people (Astra zeneca) has problems with 'blood clots and nobody else is using it'. But apparently she would be happy to use Novavax?

Is anybody even still using Novavax? Has anybody ever?

So yeah.

Basically now, if I get it, it's going to be from her and her customer facing job in a bank, which she'll pass on to her kid, who'll pass it to my kid, who will give it to me and i'm falling down a deep spiral right now and i'm fucking angry.

yeah. anyways, mostly just venting right now. I need a place to do it.

AstraZeneca was used in Canada but discontinued basically once Pfizer and moderna were more widely available. There’s several Canadians in the thread including myself who had one dose of AZ and a second dose of MRNA vaccine.

Novovax has emergency authorization for use in the Philippines and Indonesia only so far.

I would be surprised if her bank job doesn’t make vaccination mandatory, it’s been a slow rising tide of employers across the USA and Canada requiring it.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yeah my kid's been crying herself to sleep almost every night for the last 103 days because she hasn't been able to see get best friend because of lockdown.

They don't see each other at school right now, as they're on opposite rosters, so it would just be weekend interaction.

At which point it becomes an outside event and his mum won't be allowed in the house. At least until the vaccine is approved for kids over 5.

But yeah. Just add another anxiety on top of the already huge pile.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Yeah my kid's been crying herself to sleep almost every night for the last 103 days because she hasn't been able to see get best friend because of lockdown.

They don't see each other at school right now, as they're on opposite rosters, so it would just be weekend interaction.

At which point it becomes an outside event and his mum won't be allowed in the house. At least until the vaccine is approved for kids over 5.

But yeah. Just add another anxiety on top of the already huge pile.

My daughter's main friend started going to pre-school, and even though the family has been fairly careful and is as vaccinated as possible, we've been avoiding play dates because we don't know what the other pre-school kids families are like.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I'd say kids having friends is more important than the risk of coronavirus if one has had a vaccine

Solar on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I'd say kids having friends is more important than the risk of coronavirus if one has had a vaccine

Right, but a number of us have children who can't yet receive the vaccine.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Sorry by one I mean you the parent

Tbh if the kid isn't vaccinated then like, still, you know? Kids need to see friends.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »

At this point I suspect that the detection of Omicron has less to do with "Where has it recently spread?" and more to do with "Who's actually doing the proper genetic sequencing?"

South Africa was the one to sound the alarm, probably not because that's where the variant originated, but rather because they've got some of the best surveillance in operation.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular

At this point I suspect that the detection of Omicron has less to do with "Where has it recently spread?" and more to do with "Who's actually doing the proper genetic sequencing?"

South Africa was the one to sound the alarm, probably not because that's where the variant originated, but rather because they've got some of the best surveillance in operation.

So, Spanish Flu again. Sort of.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021

Minor quibble, you don't need genetic sequencing for it, it's got a fairly distinct PCR signal. But, that was only figured out 3 days ago, and who knows how consistently labs have been checking for it.

This is extremely good news in terms of tracing.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Solar wrote: »
    Sorry by one I mean you the parent

Tbh if the kid isn't vaccinated then like, still, you know? Kids need to see friends.

They need lungs more

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »

That's why it's called Omicron and not Joburg

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Magus` wrote: »

That's why it's called Omicron and not Joburg

Also, after China Virus and Kung Flu garbage, I'm fine with not referring to variants by initial identification.

If so many people weren't such rampant racists, and using it as a justification to be racist, I wouldn't care. But as they are... yeah, Greek lettering is fine.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Germany: Dozens take illegal mystery COVID vaccine before police shut it down

What the fuck is even happening? The bigger mystery here is who were the people lining up for this - the article doesn't cover whether these people were genuinely duped, or "antivaxxers".

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

What the fuck is even happening? The bigger mystery here is who were the people lining up for this - the article doesn't cover whether these people were genuinely duped, or "antivaxxers".

Antivaxxers’ refusal to take a proven vaccine but willingness to inject horse tranquilizers and who knows what else will never cease to baffle me.

Maybe these Germans have the right idea. Set up a shady underground clinic to give them some unknown, but actually administer the Pfizer vaccine.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

https://www.dw.com/en/german-coronavirus-vaccine-inventor-being-investigated/a-56828943
    This has more information on what's going on.

The weird part is that he appears to be a real doctor, and even in the proper field, and the vaccine in principle might even work, it's just a matter of you can't just create a vaccine in your garage anymore and start sticking people with it. There are numerous rules and regulations around vaccines, for very good reasons, and he didn't follow any of them. So I'm not sure what his angle in all this is, but he should know better.

EDIT: turns out his blog is in English. His basic sales pitch is that the regular vaccine kills people. While the death toll is acceptable and much lower than letting COVID rage unchecked, his vaccine doesn't have the same side effects as the regular vaccines, and is therefore much safer. Also, it's "the most suitable vaccine for children". (Yikes.) It's bog-standard anti-vax talking points, albeit a bit more understated than usual.

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Color me extremely skeptical. Real life is not 100% safe or 100% effective (which is what confounds people wanting either or both of those). The closest thing we have to perfect certainty is "you will most likely die, someday, from something."

In this case, I don't think you can have an effective vaccine without side effects. Certainly not something made in a garage, literal or not.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    He made a probably real covid vaccine but extremely unsafe and undefined in his lab then bypassed all safety testing. He definitely deserves jail time.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Six cases of omicron reported in Scotland, "not all associated with travel" according to the BBC

So probably pretty safe to assume that it's transmitting relatively freely in the UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-59457332

japan on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    After the past two years I’m now immune to being surprised by people making terrible choices with regards to Covid. Like a couple that fled quarantine in the Netherlands.
    Dutch military police on Sunday said they had arrested a married couple who left a hotel where they were in quarantine after testing positive for COVID-19, and were attempting to flee the country.

The police known as the Marechausse said in a statement the pair were arrested "in an airplane that was about to depart."

There’s at least three things in there (fleeing quarantine, fleeing quarantine after testing positive, and then getting on a fucking airplane with Covid) that are just. . .just. . . God I hate how dumb we can be as a species. But I’m just mad and disappointed, not surprised.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I just wanted to report on a new preprint (so take it with a grain of salt) that shows after 9 months the effectiveness of each vaccine schedule on sympomatic covid (this is not covid death!!!).

Here is a graph I made from the most recent Swedish cohort study which had millions of people followed.

gvzwd58dzgsg.png

Here is the paper that I graphed the data from.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3949410

This data clearly shows that heterlogous vaccine schedules work better than homologous vaccine schedules.

For example, Astrazeneca/mRNA vax outperforms mRNA/mRNA vax for the initial vaccine schedule in terms of how long is protects.

The FDA has approved getting ANY booster -- which is called heterologous boosting -- where the booster shot is different from the original vaccine. It might increase immunity and longevity of the vaccine re: rona protection.

This does NOT mean the vaccines aren't working when paired homologously (same/same) so don't be upset.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    This data is also really well matched to a similar study performed by the US-VA office on breakthrough infections in veterans.

ppas3o0rjqpw.png

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.10.13.21264966v1.full.pdf

Long story short: boosters are good! Vaccines do decrease in efficacy over time, and that decrease is vaccine type dependent.

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    There's a lot of biologicals you could make with a modified sand blasting cabinet and some homebrew equipment but we don't even trust people to sell home made liquor since it is easy to make poison by mistake.. injecting homebrew vaccine to forgo the real deal is really looking for a creative way to die horribly.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Welp, that graph is terrifying and I’m glad I’m scheduled for my 6g booster chip Saturday….

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    There's a lot of biologicals you could make with a modified sand blasting cabinet and some homebrew equipment but we don't even trust people to sell home made liquor since it is easy to make poison by mistake.. injecting homebrew vaccine to forgo the real deal is really looking for a creative way to die horribly.

i mean that's what anti-vaxers are doing anyways..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    This data is also really well matched to a similar study performed by the US-VA office on breakthrough infections in veterans.

ppas3o0rjqpw.png

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.10.13.21264966v1.full.pdf

Long story short: boosters are good! Vaccines do decrease in efficacy over time, and that decrease is vaccine type dependent.

well this explains why I got covid 6 months after my J&J shot and no one else in my household did

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Is there anything on mixed mRNA in there FCC?

My guess is that they are so similar it shouldn’t matter as much, but I’m feeling good that I got Moderna booster.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I just got my booster yesterday, and I switched from Pfizer to Moderna since that's what was available. Something I noticed was that the Moderna booster is a half-dose compared to the initial two dose vaccine but the Pfizer booster isn't?

Anyone have any info or literature about that? Seemed kind of weird.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I just got my booster yesterday, and I switched from Pfizer to Moderna since that's what was available. Something I noticed was that the Moderna booster is a half-dose compared to the initial two dose vaccine but the Pfizer booster isn't?

Anyone have any info or literature about that? Seemed kind of weird.

The initial two-dose Moderna vaccine is administered as two 100mcg/0.5mL doses.

The initial two-dose Pfizer vaccine is administered as two 30 mcg/0.5mL doses.

The Moderna booster is administered as a 50mcg/0.25mL dose.

The Pfizer booster is administered as another 30 mcg/0.5mL dose.

In other words, Moderna has always had a more concentrated solution, and administered a higher amount of the vaccine, compared to Pfizer. They pulled back on the booster. I can't find specific literature about why they pulled back, and if I can find any I will provide it - But my assumption is that they still see very reasonable efficacy at a half dose, while lowering side effects and stretching supply. It's also my speculation that Moderna may have based that on Pfizer's data at 30 mcg, seeing as the vaccines are highly similar.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    VishNub wrote: »
    Is there anything on mixed mRNA in there FCC?

My guess is that they are so similar it shouldn’t matter as much, but I’m feeling good that I got Moderna booster.
    Not followed in that study unfortunately.