As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SCOTUS] Roe vs. Wade (and Casey) Overturned

• Options
    DedmanWalkinDedmanWalkin Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »
    IANAL, so maybe there's some fine bit of legal think that I don't understand...

But how can Texas claim that it's not 'enforcing' the law, when the only reason people can sue at all is because they created it, have the law on the books, and enable the propagation of the suits. Even if it's indirect, the primary enabler is the state. Is that not enough?

What happens if the doctor or whoever just ignored the civil suit brought against them entirely? They get served with a court date and don't even bother to show up.

I'm pretty sure failure to appear results in a summary judgment against, so kind of a bad idea for the person on the receiving end.

But how does the court collect on the judgment without using the executive?

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    NPR had an experienced TX lawyer on the show to discuss some of the ins and outs of this law and he basically said that if you bail on the trial in TX they'd probably send the marshals after you. But if you're out of state there's not a thing they can do. It still begs the question of then whether or not the marshals are now acting as carrying out the law for the state. But that's just one of the many reasons this law is so fucking bad.

He also said he didn't think that anyone would be suing airlines or other big companies because of how crazy doing so would be...and to that I say, no one thought Trump could ever win either.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Would someone offer a legal definition of "standing"? I know the general usage but legalese is very precise.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    The bit about "the state can't enforce the law" is mostly chaff. The text of it is more like, "the state can't enforce this law except everything related to the civil suits". The whole law is full of bizarre garbage like that which doesn't really mean anything but it's there to add confusion and delay.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    The bit about "the state can't enforce the law" is mostly chaff. The text of it is more like, "the state can't enforce this law except everything related to the civil suits". The whole law is full of bizarre garbage like that which doesn't really mean anything but it's there to add confusion and delay.

Trying to obscure the fact that this is pulled directly from the Fugitive Slave Act which was a very not good law and forced down other state's throats at another time of social upheaval. The fascists only have one move and that's destabilizing the government at all costs. This example is how to get the state to eat itself by being the enforcer in all but name.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Would someone offer a legal definition of "standing"? I know the general usage but legalese is very precise.

the basic idea is that if you have not been harmed, and are not likely to be harmed, then you can't bring a lawsuit

the details vary, depending on the court you're in and the claim you're filing

but in general, a state can declare that you have a civil claim and that standing exists to file that claim in their courts, which is what Texas has done here

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/09/18/texas-abortion-provider-alan-braid/

The Washington Post has published an op ed by a Texas physician stating clearly that he has now violated this law, signed his and his practice's names, and said come fucking get him.
    And that is why, on the morning of Sept. 6, I provided an abortion to a woman who, though still in her first trimester, was beyond the state’s new limit. I acted because I had a duty of care to this patient, as I do for all patients, and because she has a fundamental right to receive this care.

I fully understood that there could be legal consequences — but I wanted to make sure that Texas didn’t get away with its bid to prevent this blatantly unconstitutional law from being tested.

God damn. I'm glad there are people willing to put themselves on the line like this.

• Options
    asurasur Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »
    IANAL, so maybe there's some fine bit of legal think that I don't understand...

But how can Texas claim that it's not 'enforcing' the law, when the only reason people can sue at all is because they created it, have the law on the books, and enable the propagation of the suits. Even if it's indirect, the primary enabler is the state. Is that not enough?

What happens if the doctor or whoever just ignored the civil suit brought against them entirely? They get served with a court date and don't even bother to show up.

I'm pretty sure failure to appear results in a summary judgment against, so kind of a bad idea for the person on the receiving end.

But how does the court collect on the judgment without using the executive?

The executive supports the courts and the system to collect judgements is already setup. I believe you'd win a judgement if the other party didn't show up. Presumably that party wouldn't pay the judgement and then you'd go back to court to force payment of the judgement either through seizing assets or garnishing wages.

The correct strategy is to force a lawsuit like that doctor above is and then ask the court for a stay while the trial and appeals are ongoing as you now have proven harm.

asur on
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I am absolutely not a lawyer, but aren't you only able to get a stay if the court you're asking for said stay believes you are likely to prevail on the merits? If that is true, this seems like an enormous risk for the doctor above to take, but I do applaud his courage.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    rndmhero wrote: »
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/09/18/texas-abortion-provider-alan-braid/

The Washington Post has published an op ed by a Texas physician stating clearly that he has now violated this law, signed his and his practice's names, and said come fucking get him.
    And that is why, on the morning of Sept. 6, I provided an abortion to a woman who, though still in her first trimester, was beyond the state’s new limit. I acted because I had a duty of care to this patient, as I do for all patients, and because she has a fundamental right to receive this care.

I fully understood that there could be legal consequences — but I wanted to make sure that Texas didn’t get away with its bid to prevent this blatantly unconstitutional law from being tested.

God damn. I'm glad there are people willing to put themselves on the line like this.

50 year career, so basically retiring in a blaze of righteous glory.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited September 2021

Also, with that kind of career, the kind of person who could have walked away, but has chosen to take a stand on behalf of all those following behind him, that probably couldn't afford to fight this fight.

Got to give it up for the man, if more people of his generation were willing to do this kind of thing, maybe we wouldn't all be so fucked.

Also, the usual fuckos are calling for the suspension of his license for violating state law. Hey, assholes, the whole point of this law is it's not really a violation of state law. Because THAT would be unconstitutional. Citizens have the ability granted for them to sue, that's it. THAT'S THE ENTIRE POINT OF THIS LAW.

So fuck off.

EDIT - I mean, there's a decent chance they will take his license, because Texas being Texas. But fuck me, I'm so tired of this Gilead shit from these fuckers.

MorganV on
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Also, with that kind of career, the kind of person who could have walked away, but has chosen to take a stand on behalf of all those following behind him, that probably couldn't afford to fight this fight.

Got to give it up for the man, if more people of his generation were willing to do this kind of thing, maybe we wouldn't all be so fucked.

Also, the usual fuckos are calling for the suspension of his license for violating state law. Hey, assholes, the whole point of this law is it's not really a violation of state law. Because THAT would be unconstitutional. Citizens have the ability granted for them to sue, that's it. THAT'S THE ENTIRE POINT OF THIS LAW.

So fuck off.

Yeah the whole law is so dumb that even if no one wants to sue him because "it's a trap!", he can just ask one of his nurses to sue him or something.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Gilgaron wrote: »

So fuck off.

Yeah the whole law is so dumb that even if no one wants to sue him because "it's a trap!", he can just ask one of his nurses to sue him or something.

Per WaPo, we now have our first contestant in the bounty legal Olympics. After reading about this doctor in WaPo the first bounty-seeking plaintiff has filed. What's more entertaining is that the plaintiff is in Arkansas and he's under home confinement for federal tax evasion.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Gilgaron wrote: »

So fuck off.

Per WaPo, we now have our first contestant in the bounty legal Olympics. After reading about this doctor in WaPo the first bounty-seeking plaintiff has filed. What's more entertaining is that the plaintiff is in Arkansas and he's under home confinement for federal tax evasion.

Because that is exactly the sort of goose who would take a swing at this particular tar baby.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Funnily enough, according to CNN
    In a phone interview with CNN, Stilley said he is an opponent of the law that bars most abortions in the state, but wants to clear the way for a judge to rule on its constitutionality.

"I am a supporter of the Constitution, and I am opposed to the law." Stilley said.

Stilley is the plaintiff.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Also if they overturn Roe outright next year, Dems might be galvanized for the midterms.

That's the whole point behind the election nullification laws in Texas, georgia, and elsewhere. They don't need to maintain a fig leaf of respectability anymore. Set the US back to a time which never existed except in their delusions, kill off their own voters - doesn't matter. They've already set up their "I win forever" button in the states. Nothing less than federal action is going to dislodge them, and since the right-wing has control over the courts (especially SCOTUS), when is that going to happen?

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    In a phone interview with CNN, Stilley said he is an opponent of the law that bars most abortions in the state, but wants to clear the way for a judge to rule on its constitutionality.

"I am a supporter of the Constitution, and I am opposed to the law." Stilley said.

Yea, this is weird and kind of amusing. Apparently several anti-abortion groups in Texas are waiting to find the "right" case to back (whatever the fuck that means in this context). In the meantime, it seems like both the defendant and plaintiff in this case think the law is unconstitutional and decided "you need a case? Here's a case."

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    CNN’s Ariane de Vogue

Just in: Supreme Court will hear direct challenge to Roe v. Wade in Mississippi case on December 1.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    It's felt for a while that a direct challenge to Roe v. Wade is both inevitable and basically a foregone conclusion, I guess we get to find out soon.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    CNN’s Ariane de Vogue

Just in: Supreme Court will hear direct challenge to Roe v. Wade in Mississippi case on December 1.

This does not fill me with joy, knowing this court.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

Yea, this is weird and kind of amusing. Apparently several anti-abortion groups in Texas are waiting to find the "right" case to back (whatever the fuck that means in this context). In the meantime, it seems like both the defendant and plaintiff in this case think the law is unconstitutional and decided "you need a case? Here's a case."
    It means one where they can go after a poor brown person so they can stack the deck to their advantage. This type of case is less to their advantage. But they kind of have to take it, because if people openly flout the law it’s worst than not finding the best case.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    zepherin wrote: »

It means one where they can go after a poor brown person so they can stack the deck to their advantage. This type of case is less to their advantage. But they kind of have to take it, because if people openly flout the law it’s worst than not finding the best case.

Yep. Or an addict. They need an edge case and it needs to involve someone who's reputation they can smear, and who every smarmy pundit can righteously rage against on their radio and tv shows.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I never thought that we could fall this far, in just five years (or less).
    I guess I was very sheltered and/or naive.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Actually if I were looking to have a law viewed as unconstitutional. I would sue with the worst lawyer I could find. I wouldn’t let the conservatives cultivate the perfect edge case I’d file suit and then appeal each loss to get it to SCOTUS. Go for broke. With an ambulance chaser. Essentially fund both sides of the lawsuit, but poorly fund the side filing the bounty lawsuits.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    zepherin wrote: »
    Actually if I were looking to have a law viewed as unconstitutional. I would sue with the worst lawyer I could find. I wouldn’t let the conservatives cultivate the perfect edge case I’d file suit and then appeal each loss to get it to SCOTUS. Go for broke. With an ambulance chaser. Essentially fund both sides of the lawsuit, but poorly fund the side filing the bounty lawsuits.

If (when) this goes to this SCOTUS, it's not going to be decided on the actual merits. The fix is in, and not just the thumb but the whole hand is on the scales.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Every day the “don’t worry I don’t intend to die on the bench” line gets more and more infuriating. Oh cool so you’re quitting after you end that sentence? Oh you’re not? Well great, fuck

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    I don't intend to die at all! It's working so far!

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I never thought that we could fall this far, in just five years (or less).
    I guess I was very sheltered and/or naive.

I'm surprised momentum largely carried us through even if the doors are falling off. Breaking a nation does not take long.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Once Roe is struck down this Texas law will probably be mostly fine. Yes it would be grevious bullshit if government can revoke constitutional rights via third parties, but the SC can just decide that there was no constitutional right being effected here in the first place.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    NPR had an experienced TX lawyer on the show to discuss some of the ins and outs of this law and he basically said that if you bail on the trial in TX they'd probably send the marshals after you. But if you're out of state there's not a thing they can do. It still begs the question of then whether or not the marshals are now acting as carrying out the law for the state. But that's just one of the many reasons this law is so fucking bad.

He also said he didn't think that anyone would be suing airlines or other big companies because of how crazy doing so would be...and to that I say, no one thought Trump could ever win either.

If Liberals aren't already planning on suing the airlines in an attempt to hurt the Texas Government I would be shocked and a bit dismayed, because IMO it's the best strategy

it's the only pressure the GOP respond to

override367 on
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Once Roe is struck down this Texas law will probably be mostly fine. Yes it would be grevious bullshit if government can revoke constitutional rights via third parties, but the SC can just decide that there was no constitutional right being effected here in the first place.

The Texas law.would still be wildly unconstitutional in it's current form. That is the most blatant part of all of this, and why Roberts even balked at it. There are a bunch of reasons to strike it down that were just hand waved away.

• Options
    I think the most egregious part of the law, at least from the point of view of the courts and specifically SCOTUS, is that it says in plain text that you cannot use "SCOTUS precedent said my actions were legal at the time" as a defense. It is pretty clearly angling to make an action illegal after the fact, which is very much against basically all precedent ever.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    LGBTQ Nation is a queer issues news outlet

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2021/09/texas-sues-biden-admin-first-amendment-right-misgender-trans-people-work/
    Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton (R) has filed a federal lawsuit against the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), saying that the federal agency’s guidance on LGBTQ rights is “extreme federal overreach” that violates Texas’s “sovereign right” to determine workplace policies, specifically when it comes to LGBTQ job discrimination protections in the workplace.

The lawsuit goes so far as to claim that employers like the state of Texas have a First Amendment right to refer to transgender people by the wrong names and pronouns.

I am extremely tired. And will become even more tired when this eventually, inevitably, hits the Clown Bench

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    TX seems to have decided this is the time to go all-in. And I can't say they're wrong (about the timing, at least); though they may end up focusing enough attention on how broken the SCOTUS is that people might actually do something about it. (I can only hope.)

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    LGBTQ Nation is a queer issues news outlet

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2021/09/texas-sues-biden-admin-first-amendment-right-misgender-trans-people-work/
    Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton (R) has filed a federal lawsuit against the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), saying that the federal agency’s guidance on LGBTQ rights is “extreme federal overreach” that violates Texas’s “sovereign right” to determine workplace policies, specifically when it comes to LGBTQ job discrimination protections in the workplace.

The lawsuit goes so far as to claim that employers like the state of Texas have a First Amendment right to refer to transgender people by the wrong names and pronouns.

I am extremely tired. And will become even more tired when this eventually, inevitably, hits the Clown Bench

Given the fragile egos of these fuckers, would intentionally misidentifying them get them to see why it's harmful work?

Or would that do more harm than good? Sincerely wouldn't want that to happen. But don't know how to convince people who are clearly unempathetic (but might be capable) that this is a real issue.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    It’s hierarchical so I doubt you’d trigger an empathy based epiphany by purposefully attacking their own identities through misidentification.

A lot of times, what appears “hypocritical” is the result of bigots exercising hierarchies against those they consider to be their lessers.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Can they schedule this case sometime after Paxton's multiple criminal trials that he's managed to postpone for years?

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Seeing as this is the second time today I've encountered people saying that the Kavanaugh finance story is overblown and turning into a conspiracy on the left, I thought it might be worth a look-see.

From Stephanie Mencimer at Mother Jones:
    The idea that Brett Kavanaugh has taken bribes to sustain his country club lifestyle is one of the hardiest conspiracy theories on the political left. And like most conspiracy theories, this one suffers from some internal logic problems.
    How did Kavanaugh come up with a $245,000 down payment at a time when his financial disclosure forms indicated that he had a mere $10,000 in the bank outside of his federal retirement account?

As it turned out, there were rather simple answers to most of those questions. Kavanaugh explained to the Senate Judiciary Committee that much of his credit card debt stemmed from either work on his fixer-upper mansion or buying Nats season and playoff tickets for himself and a handful of dudes who’d been going to the games together for years. They had paid him back in full, the White House said at the time. As for the rest, while he was maddeningly obtuse in admitting it, Kavanaugh seems to have gotten lots of money from his parents.

The rest of the article lays out the ins and outs of Kavanaugh's family life, how he grew up, what his parents did and just how much money they have. He grew up with several silver spoons in his mouth, he was a spoiled brat who wanted for nothing material (less said about the other aspects of his life such as siblings or how much time his parents spent with the kids), and for the parents, his mother was a judge in Maryland and his father a cosmetics industry lobbyist. Judges tend to be pair fairly well at the level his mother was at, so that much checks out. And the article notes that his father retired on a $13 million dollar payout from the lobbying group he worked for.

So in conclusions while there is still questions about the timing for his opening to the court, Kavanaugh's money troubles appear to have been settled by mumsy and dadsy's deep pockets. Like the right little bitch that he is.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Well, I guess that's better than him being deep in debt to Putin :/

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    We've heard those explanations, yeah. A lot of us just won't believe it without detailed proof. Right now we have what, his say so?

This discussion has been closed.