Options

[Diablo] early access has ended :(, and so shall this thread

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I wish they'd let you set the player count in online single-player.

I like to play with other people from time to time, but it'd be nice to be able to also get some decent drops without having to worry about them being instantly snatched up.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    That's what I was wondering. I bet it doesn't get counted.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

I like to play with other people from time to time, but it'd be nice to be able to also get some decent drops without having to worry about them being instantly snatched up.
    Set a password to the game.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »

He means being able to type /players 5 in an online game that's private. I agree they should allow it.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I’ll try adjusting some of the settings in legacy mode and see if it effects it. I’m on series x and the blur is on both fidelity and performance, but more pronounced in fidelity, which is what I prefer to play on even with the worse blur

Hmm doesn’t really do much I can see. Might have some effect, the parallax thing, but I can’t tell. I think I’ll just have to play in shorter bursts, as it’s kind of cumulative, at first it’s fine but after a few hours my eyes strain

Essentially when you’re standing still it’s fine, but as soon as you move everything noticeably blurs. I don’t think it’s my tv or any setting like that since I don’t notice it on any other games. It seems intentional as your character doesn’t blur, so it seems like it’s an intentional visual effect that my eyes just find hard to adjust to

Also this boss you’re all talking about has me scared, my barbarian definitely isn’t specced out well at all, even after I got that free reset

Also it will take me roughly a year to get used to the closed door/open door thing, I keep reading it as “close door/open door” as a command not the status of the door, and so doing the opposite of what I want to do

It's definitely not intentional, as it doesn't occur at all on lots of setups. There's no setting for motion blur, and it doesn't happen at all to a lot of us. I think the guess that it's related to some kind of upscaling is the best so far -- at the end of the day it's a bug that can hopefully be fixed!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    The talent trees are so confusing in this. You have to spend points in abilities that you might not want in order to unlock the ones you do? Im pretty much just buying axe skill because I like axes and none of the other abilities jump out at me. I have the jump and the bash but that’s it, and the shout that sends enemies running

Also I’ve heard skill resets are rare, and I screwed up my free one, cos all the damn icons look identical

Also god damn it stings to lose so much money to death

Did you check with Akara in the Rogue Encampment? As far as I know, she gives free skill and stat resets. I know I used her twice in the Beta during Act I and the option was still available and I’ve used it once so far and the option was there every time I went to talk to her. From what I read, they no longer limit the reset. Would be worth looking into at least.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Nitsua wrote: »
    The talent trees are so confusing in this. You have to spend points in abilities that you might not want in order to unlock the ones you do? Im pretty much just buying axe skill because I like axes and none of the other abilities jump out at me. I have the jump and the bash but that’s it, and the shout that sends enemies running

Also I’ve heard skill resets are rare, and I screwed up my free one, cos all the damn icons look identical

Also god damn it stings to lose so much money to death

Did you check with Akara in the Rogue Encampment? As far as I know, she gives free skill and stat resets. I know I used her twice in the Beta during Act I and the option was still available and I’ve used it once so far and the option was there every time I went to talk to her. From what I read, they no longer limit the reset. Would be worth looking into at least.

Its supposed to be one reset for each den of evil quest clear (one per difficulty.) I can see it being unlimited in beta to facilitate testing, skeptical of that now. I have a character from before the patch that added this, having clear den of evil twice, and she doesn't have any respec option.

You can farm late hell items to earn more respecs but I thought consensus was that it was so time consuming, you are usually better off rushing a new character. And if you can kill all the hell bosses anyway, your respec needs aren't all that dire.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »

He means being able to type /players 5 in an online game that's private. I agree they should allow it.
    There are some QoL updates that they could have made, especially with matchmaking and some other features which punish experimentation but I also get taking a very light touch because us nerds are going to demand the original experience they remember.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »

There are some QoL updates that they could have made, especially with matchmaking and some other features which punish experimentation but I also get taking a very light touch because us nerds are going to demand the original experience they remember.

I tried and it didn't work. I was hoping lol

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Ugh, my generous (evil) friend gifted this to me so now I have to play it with him.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    I'm not much of a 1.10+ expert but this video seemed to provide a good overview of a tier list for "self found PvE playthrough" i.e. just progressing through the game by yourself without twinking or rushing, as newbies would normally do. The S tier is just plain op, A tier is great damage but with some weaknesses, B tier will need some patience but doesn't have to be completely miserable like the lower tiers. You can look up other guides if you want to figure out optimal skills and gear but just knowing which skill to focus on as your bread-and-butter gets you 80% of the way there.

S Tier:

Blessed Hammer Paladin
    Skeleton Necromancer
    Lightning Trap Assassin
    Blizzard or Frozen Orb sorceress.

A Tier:

Tornado Druid
    Bone Spear Necromancer
    Lightning Fury Amazon
    Fissure Druid
    Fireball Sorceress
    Freezing Arrow Amazon
    Smite Paladin

B Tier:

Lightning Sorceress
    Zeal Paladin
    Warcry Barbarian
    Poison Nova Necromancer
    Frenzy Barbarian
    Werewolf Druid
    Strafe / Multi-shot Amazon
    Vengeance Paladin

BTW Whirlwind is considered D tier, maybe ignore my advice there earlier :p

https://youtu.be/E-JblMn-fEw

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    I dunno about putting Skeleton Necromancers in the same tier as Blizzard Sorceresses and Blessed Hammer Paladins.

• Options
    I don't know either but keep in mind this is A) crap gear and B) probably reflects sheer effort more than time to kill. Skeletons can be a little slow to find their target but they play the game for you pretty effectively.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    For a league/game starter, fishymancers (skelemancers who ignore mage skeletons which are bad, and max corpse explosion instead) are like S+. They're by far the easiest to make it all the way through hell solo -- less potion chugging, and they have the ability to break physical immune monsters with a level 1 curse with 1 skillpoint dropped in it. Not having to worry about immunities in Hell is astoundingly good, and you can clear hell with no gear if you want to (though it's a bit silly to, as it's incredibly easy to find wands and necro shields with lots of +skeletons and +skeleton mastery in act 1 normal).

They don't have the clear speed of the others and won't farm as well with good gear, but they're better than all of the above listed for a first character with no gear coming in. They boss better with decrepify, and won't be eclipsed by the others unless you're putting in the time to farm for gear (which I typically consider "after" a league starter).

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Servers down for maintenance and everyone on twitter is like "my characters are gone!!!!!!!11"

I swear people have zero chill. I've seen way worse launch weekends than this.

• Options
    Yeah it's announced maintenance, my character was "gone" for a sec, but I tried a minute later and got in and am doing some baal runs. It is silly that people don't stop to think "character deleted" means "server is down" when they announce it on the launcher.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah part of the problem is that the game doesn't have a main menu when you login. As soon as you launch the game it shows your characters and defaults to online even if the servers aren't up. They need to just have a better way to handle the message.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Fiatil wrote: »
    For a league/game starter, fishymancers (skelemancers who ignore mage skeletons which are bad, and max corpse explosion instead) are like S+. They're by far the easiest to make it all the way through hell solo -- less potion chugging, and they have the ability to break physical immune monsters with a level 1 curse with 1 skillpoint dropped in it. Not having to worry about immunities in Hell is astoundingly good, and you can clear hell with no gear if you want to (though it's a bit silly to, as it's incredibly easy to find wands and necro shields with lots of +skeletons and +skeleton mastery in act 1 normal).

They don't have the clear speed of the others and won't farm as well with good gear, but they're better than all of the above listed for a first character with no gear coming in. They boss better with decrepify, and won't be eclipsed by the others unless you're putting in the time to farm for gear (which I typically consider "after" a league starter).

Fishymancer goes from being probably the easiest to solo clear through Hell Baal with easily to effectively useless after you've achieved that. It's awful for boss runs (no teleport) cows (extremely slow AoE clear) ilvl85 farming (skeleton ai takes forever to clear an area) and ubers (it can't). It's not great for Magic Find because you need a big chunk of +skills and FCR to be effective and the best way to MF is either speed clear cows/85 areas or teleport to and delete Meph/Diablo/Baal as fast as possible.

You can do Eldritch/Shenk/Pindle ok but so can every other build that does other things better. And once you get Enigma you have no reason left to play you can finally start farming for ... the stuff you want to trade towards Enigma.

If your goal is to do something like a hardcore solo run because it's a thing you've never done before, Fishymancer is a great pick! If your goal is to get to endgame and start MFing for cool items look elsewhere.

Everyone makes a Sorc for a reason: teleporting to a boss and killing them and making a new game in under a minute is very very good at scoring drops. NM Meph -> Hell Countess+Andy -> Hell Meph -> Hell CS+Baal is the progression as your levels and gear get better. You can farm cows for a bit in Normal to gear up for NM, in NM to gear for boss killing, and even a bit in Hell for variety. TPing through 85 areas without immunes (Ancient Tunnels for cold Sorc) and killing boss packs is the optimal way to roll the dice for insanely rare uniques. Doing this with 200+ MF is easy and 300+ is also easy once you have Tal Rasha's.

Honestly nothing else is even close to the same league as Sorc. Hammerdin and Trapsin are super strong and farm at like 10% of the speed of an equivalently geared Sorc. Until you get Enigma and then who cares, at that level of gear everything is inferior to Smite Pally for soloing Ubers.

D2 is not a balanced game and it's kind of funny watching videos from people pretending otherwise.

Edit: Sorc deals with immunes in Hell by TPing past everything to the boss and killing them. Also apparently Cold Mastery is bugged in D2R and is breaking immunities, as though Sorc needed any more favoritism.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Yeah I told myself I wasn't gonna roll Sorc. I was gonna go slow. Take my time.

Actually got my Necromancer to level 30 before I was like, "Nah fuck all this. I need teleport."

RT800 on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I dunno about putting Skeleton Necromancers in the same tier as Blizzard Sorceresses and Blessed Hammer Paladins.

it's a build that is highly dependent on enigma. with it you can teleport on top of something and all your skeletons attack it right away

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Yeah my memory was skeleton build being fun at lower difficulty but kinda falling off a cliff in terms of scaling compared with other classes.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Yeah my memory was skeleton build being fun at lower difficulty but kinda falling off a cliff in terms of scaling compared with other classes.

In "classic" diablo 2 before they redid the skill trees, that was true. Skeleton summoners were really bad, and it was sad.

In fully patched expansion diablo 2 (after they added skill synergies and such), skeleton warriors scale amazingly well into hell.

They don't clear as fast as sorceresses, but even AresProphet's post is comparing fishymancers to the best class in the game at end game farming. I disagree that fishymancers are useless in hell past clearing the game (unless "useless" is "slower than the best 3 builds in the game once you have decent items"), but even if you're going super end game it's a really effective build.

They're almost universally listed as S tier in every class ranking I've seen; it's definitely not a mirage. They don't clear like sorcs, but are fantastic league starters and will outperform sorceresses if you're playing "solo" until you farm up gear. Teleporting to bosses is amazing, but you can't level up solo and get gear on a naked character well at all. It works fantastically once you get gear though. Everyone's rolling sorceresses because you can teleport to quickly finish acts, and then do tristy runs, baal runs etc. to get tons of levels in a group, and then farm gear and such. (sidenote -- I've seen a ton of different classes playing in public games; it's not nearly as strongly weighted towards sorcs/necros as I was anticipating, but that's a different discussion than what's actually effective, and particularly when you don't have a group to hide behind)

No argument that their top end clear isn't a hammerdin or sorceress, but they easily earn the title of S tier for league starters and solo self fund type stuff.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    as more runes become available builds will open up. like no one is running a WW assassin because you can't- the gear doesn't exist yet. but it's very good with the right items and a bunch of poison facets

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Yeah that list seems strange. Smiter is pretty low at A tier I think. It is pretty easy to setup smiter as a pretty high class bosser in hell.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I am having a lot of fun as a strafe amazon though I am not playing solo. Working with a barb and I just post up and hit that mouse2 and let out the endless salvo of arrows.

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Yeah that list seems strange. Smiter is pretty low at A tier I think. It is pretty easy to setup smiter as a pretty high class bosser in hell.

Lack of aoe holds smiter back from being S tier. It is a super solid build but far slower than the other options at S in that list.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I’m sitting down to play Diablo 2 and in a few months I’m going to see the Matrix in theaters.

What year is it?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    If this had been any other 2000 era game, a remaster that left this much unchanged would have been considered really disappointing. Look at how remakes like Resident Evil 2 were received. I think it's only because Diablo 2's fanbase is so precious about it that they felt they couldn't change anything substantive. I don't hate what they've done here but I do think it's to the game's detriment. Things like stamina, movement feel, melee miss rate, etc all could have been addressed, and they really didn't have to include the legacy graphics toggle.

• Options
    Zek wrote: »
    If this had been any other 2000 era game, a remaster that left this much unchanged would have been considered really disappointing. Look at how remakes like Resident Evil 2 were received. I think it's only because Diablo 2's fanbase is so precious about it that they felt they couldn't change anything substantive. I don't hate what they've done here but I do think it's to the game's detriment. Things like stamina, movement feel, melee miss rate, etc all could have been addressed, and they really didn't have to include the legacy graphics toggle.
    The legacy graphics toggle is a low key genius move. Because folks forget things like how far a game has come graphics wise, and doing that allows for players to see the old style and be like holy shit. It makes the remaster feel like a much bigger achievement. Instead of Activision saying. I bet we can hit these players up for 600 million dollars real quick.

• Options
    Do we have a ps4 list?

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I'm not much of a 1.10+ expert but this video seemed to provide a good overview of a tier list for "self found PvE playthrough" i.e. just progressing through the game by yourself without twinking or rushing, as newbies would normally do. The S tier is just plain op, A tier is great damage but with some weaknesses, B tier will need some patience but doesn't have to be completely miserable like the lower tiers. You can look up other guides if you want to figure out optimal skills and gear but just knowing which skill to focus on as your bread-and-butter gets you 80% of the way there.

S Tier:

Blessed Hammer Paladin
    Skeleton Necromancer
    Lightning Trap Assassin
    Blizzard or Frozen Orb sorceress.

A Tier:

Tornado Druid
    Bone Spear Necromancer
    Lightning Fury Amazon
    Fissure Druid
    Fireball Sorceress
    Freezing Arrow Amazon
    Smite Paladin

B Tier:

Lightning Sorceress
    Zeal Paladin
    Warcry Barbarian
    Poison Nova Necromancer
    Frenzy Barbarian
    Werewolf Druid
    Strafe / Multi-shot Amazon
    Vengeance Paladin

BTW Whirlwind is considered D tier, maybe ignore my advice there earlier :p

https://youtu.be/E-JblMn-fEw

Ok thanks for this, I might try a new barbarian rather than slogging through grinding with my current one. Does anyone have any links or explainers on what abilities and character points to spend for the warcry or frenzy barbarians listed there? I basically just want to play without having to portal back every 5 minutes to buy potions

Edit nevermind this icyviens website has a pretty good guide. Gonna try their frenzy guide since I still want to hit things

Prohass on
  • Options
    Frenzy is way more fun IMO so I'd go that route.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    There was apparently a bug where assassin’s traps could lower the number of champion packs in an area, which I only know about because someone said they fixed it.

Trapsin was another that was fun but I never really pushed one all the way, so I might have to roll that up next. I still think I’d want an infinity for it though, so hmm.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I prefer creative builds over meta ones for amusement. That said, everyone needs an mf sorc on the side for farming.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Was trying hardcore for the first time probably not the best idea for it to be on an amazon, Ripped to some fetish f'ers in slayer jungle and then can't make a game?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Don't be afraid to join a game too guys. The game isn't quite meant to be a solo game.... It really shines with 2 or more players working together.

• Options
    I don't know what "ripped to" means but yeah, hardcore is one life only. You die, you can't respawn in town. When you hit escape, you leave the game and can't ever join another.

• Options
    Will stress again that tier list is just supposed to be clearing through hell ball with minimal farming on that character. And I only post it here to give people an idea what builds will let you get past the harder difficulties without much grind. Even whether some stuff is one tier up or down isn't the point, it's just a resource of decent character builds so someone can find something workable that resonates with them. Like whirlwind is D tier and bash isn't a build, so knowing that can save some frustration.

• Options
    The map bug is really making MF runs a pain in the ass. I hope they fix it ASAP.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »

Starcraft1 Remastered literally changed zero about the game on release. It was mainly a new client, graphics, and battle.net overhaul. At least with Starcraft1 they released a new client for the original game as well and made it free. I think that's what Diablo2 sorely needs, just an updated client so it's easier to run on modern systems (with also a res upgrade) without having to resort to virtual machines or something. There's really no need to change the game, in my opinion, or if they want to, make it a separate mode.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575