As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] Thread: Denver Gets That Tall Pocket Passer They've Been Missing

Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho HoDisconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
edited March 2022 in Debate and/or Discourse
There is some question about why a dome isn't a fully enclosed building. Ask the Seattle Mariners.

Santa Claustrophobia on

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I mean, I guess maybe lightning could strike through there. But the giant metal roof that is directly connected to the ground makes me think that is in the so unlikely lets just call it impossible realm.

No, you're right. There's really no way lightning strikes through there.

Unless it's ball lightning which is a phenomenon that no one understands and is fantastically rare so it's not really something you try to mitigate at all because it'd be only slightly less asinine than trying to plan for a unicorn teleporting onto the field with 30 seconds left in the 4th.

I mean unless LA built their tesla tower stadium without the ability to deal with lightning which would just be *chef's kiss" for LA.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    I think dome rules go out the windowunenclosed side when LA builds one- but yeah it reminded me that the “roof” had other functions than protecting from inclement weather, a thing that is infrequent enough in LOS ANGELES that you wouldn’t give a shit

Captain Inertia on
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The Seattle Mariners do not have a dome, they have a retractable roof that they close when bad weather is expected

I do not know whether or not they delay games for lightning though

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    The Seattle Mariners do not have a dome, they have a retractable roof that they close when bad weather is expected

They’ve had a delay for rain.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I took a look at a top down view of the Dome, and they have grounded lightning rods, which probably connects to a lightning protection ring. And the reasoning, isn't to protect the people in the Dome (that is a nice benefit and it does protect them). It's to protect the equipment in the Dome. Millions of dollars of sensitive electronics, in a building that is guaranteed to be hit by lightning, it's a good idea to protect it. Also the protection doesn't cost a lot of money. It's expensive, but with a Billion dollar building, it's going to be less than a million dollar item. If phased correctly, because they should already be doing proper grounding, so the extra grounding required isn't a huge (relative) added cost.

Also it's why when lightning strikes do happen in stadiums. It's in old stadiums, but open stadiums use lightning protection, college stadiums have lightning protection. High schools sit the away teams family on metal bleachers.

• marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Apparently Urban Meyer is a hypocritical douchebag? I’m so surprised. I never saw this coming at all. Nothing in his past history would have possibly indicated these character traits.

I think he’s gonna get canned, soon

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    maraji wrote: »
    Apparently Urban Meyer is a hypocritical douchebag? I’m so surprised. I never saw this coming at all. Nothing in his past history would have possibly indicated these character traits.

I think we all predicted disaster for Urban Meyer in Jacksonville but I didn't quite foresee this level of self-sabotage. I just figured he'd suck as an NFL coach and act like a big baby in press conferences. I didn't have "Ditches his team after a Thursday loss to get caught on video dry humping and fingering the crack of a 20-year-old at his weird-ass* steakhouse" on my bingo card but maybe some of you did.

*I know many iconic football coaches (Shula, Lombardi, etc) open steakhouses but Meyer's apparently has a dancefloor with a disco light?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Wait, what the fuck happened?

EDIT - Well, I guess that's one way to force yourself out.

"I'm sorry, I have to focus on healing my family, and can't be distracted by media and football. And I'm a distraction to a team full of promise that needs better."
    *quietly texts several college football departments "I'm available"*

MorganV on
    - Doesn’t fly back with the team after the game
    - Stays in Ohio to party
    - Gets filmed grinding with a young woman at a bar and sticking his hand up her butt
    - Cancels Monday’s team meeting where he was supposed to address it and instead talks to position groups individually
    - Players reporting that they burst out laughing after he left the room
    - Owner makes a statement today that he’s lost the respect of the organization and has to earn it back

He’s doing great.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    - Cancels Monday’s team meeting where he was supposed to address it and instead talks to position groups individually

Something about this line in particular just has the strongest college-football-coach energy. If you told me he spun his chair around and sat on it youth-pastor style I wouldn't be surprised.

Of course, the rest of it has even stronger college-football-coach energy since college football coaches are massive scumbags.

Well, prior:
    •Hired a strength coach that was JUST fired for being a racist bully shit head, claimed he properly vetted the hire and stuck with it, fired the dude the next day and gave some “accountability/core values” whatever bullshit reason
    •Gave a limited tryout spot to an undeserving, white 34 year old who had never played the position he was trying out for before

And of course the off field shit for all his Florida players and the failure to protect Courtney Smith and subsequent coverups of it at OSU

Yes but all the real smoke and fire this week has stemmed from him checking out a different tight end.

edited October 2021
    I’ve got a Tim Kight Personal Excellence workbook from back when my employer paid him to teach it to doofus managers like me, I need to dig it out and see if I can find a section on overcoming torching one’s credibility in the most glaringly obvious and avoidable ways

Edit: “most people miss opportunity because it’s dressed in overalls and looks like work” oh yeah that’s the pablum, that’s the stuff!

Captain Inertia on
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Who could have predicted the Urban Meyer NFL era would become a flaming tire fire?

A quick reminder that since Shahid Kahn took control of the Jaguars (in 2012) they have had a single winning season (10-6 in 2017) and have an overall record of 39-109.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    Butters wrote: »
    A quick reminder that since Shahid Kahn took control of the Jaguars (in 2012) they have had a single winning season (10-6 in 2017) and have an overall record of 39-109.

honestly it makes you feel like we may've been too hard on the Browns

edited October 2021
    But AEW right

Isn’t there a Premier League team too

Captain Inertia on
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Wow. Hey, that means they need a record of 11-41 to hit the round number of 50-150

I wouldn't bet that they'll make/surpass that point. Definitely feel the money is on them having a sub .250 win rate at 200 games.

12 games to go this year, 18 next year I believe, meaning that Week 11 of 2023 will be the 200th game. Anyone want to put an internet cookie down on them exceeding my expectations?

11-41 is wildly optimistic

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Yes but all the real smoke and fire this week has stemmed from him checking out a different tight end.

The best part of this is that even though it's the inciting incident nobody in that building actually cares about the infidelity. This is all because the team is Bad Bad and he's tried to handle this like the team is dumb children.

• PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular

Bring back Bortles!

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I can't believe the NFL is still policing lap dances in 2021. Can't he just be terrible at his job?

I can't believe the NFL is still policing lap dances in 2021. Can't he just be terrible at his job?

The NFL isn’t involved, it’s all about him yelling at his players about character and hard work and then being caught on video with his finger in some rando’s butt crack. It IS about him being terrible at his job.

abandoning your team to creep on 20-year-old women in your home territory is being terrible at his job

also it's just fuckin' gross.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

The best part of this is that even though it's the inciting incident nobody in that building actually cares about the infidelity. This is all because the team is Bad Bad and he's tried to handle this like the team is dumb children.

A lot of the college culture nonsense is predicated on pulling kids from their relatively small home life and right into your bubble of bullshit

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    edited October 2021
    11-41 is wildly optimistic

Maybe they can get Hue Jackson to take over for Meyer?

No?

Rob Chudzinski is available I think…

maraji on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

He's also a right wing moralizing blowhard, so it's hilarious.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I hope they let him coach out the year just for the entertainment value

I doubt they will, though

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget

The NFL isn't policing anything. His owner is, which is totally appropriate if he thinks that skipping the team flight home from a game to go party is indicative of a head coach maybe not being suited to the job.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Jacksonville I kind of want the team to move to Chicago and take over Soldier Field because I think it would be hilarious for Chicago to have two football teams that suck and also it would mean they’re no longer stuck with those butt-ugly statues of Jerry Richardson that they were contractually obligated to keep at the Jax stadium.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Speaking of Jacksonville I kind of want the team to move to Chicago and take over Soldier Field because I think it would be hilarious for Chicago to have two football teams that suck and also it would mean they’re no longer stuck with those butt-ugly statues of Jerry Richardson that they were contractually obligated to keep at the Jax stadium.

Richardson was North Carolina

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    There is some question about why a dome isn't a fully enclosed building. Ask the Seattle Mariners.

Ventilation. If it’s fully enclosed you need to move air through and out the building. If it’s not you do not(as much)

Also it’s entirely unnecessary to delay for lightning. Lightning isnt going to come through the sides of the building any more than it’s going to come through a window.

They delay until they can close the roof. Roof policy is to not close unless it’s clear it’s necessary so if the rain starts during the game it’s possible to have a small delay

There has been one actual delay because the roof failed to close during a significant downpour. So you know. Roofs work when the roof works

wbBv3fj.png
    There is no way they move to Chicago. Kahn and the NFL want the team in London but that will never work so they'll probably settle for whoever is dumb enough to fund a stadium.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Pro Tip: Arizona is the only remaining undefeated team.

Goumindong wrote: »

Ventilation. If it’s fully enclosed you need to move air through and out the building. If it’s not you do not(as much)

Also it’s entirely unnecessary to delay for lightning. Lightning isnt going to come through the sides of the building any more than it’s going to come through a window.

They delay until they can close the roof. Roof policy is to not close unless it’s clear it’s necessary so if the rain starts during the game it’s possible to have a small delay

There has been one actual delay because the roof failed to close during a significant downpour. So you know. Roofs work when the roof works

If you can’t see what’s funny about a stadium with a roof having a rain delay then I don’t know what to tell you. It’s very on brand for the Mariners.

• GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Step aside Urban, Dan Campbell wants to jump to the top of the dumbass coach list.
    Dan Campbell had some interesting things to say in his presser today🧐

“Coffee doesn’t get the job done anymore. I’ve progressed to harder stuff. It’s been snowing in Allen Park. I’ll have to leave it at that.”

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    That’s certainly something.

I suppose he needs to season those kneecaps with something. I mean, he was talking about powdered sugar, right?