As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV]: Endwalker! Game sales resume Jan. 25th. USE SPOILER TAGS.

BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
edited February 2022 in Social Entropy++
Past the far edge of fate
Ring blades of dark and light
Tolling the coming of the end

to6o9mhh4799.jpg

Cinematic trailer, some spoilers if you're not caught up to the end of the current expansion:
https://youtu.be/9sEINMGorTE
Job action trailer, shiny ability graphics for the... 19? combat jobs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCVcgZ8dtD0

Final Fantasy 14! It's an MMORPG. It plays a lot like WoW, with a much greater focus on a JRPG-style linear main story with what I think is relatively good writing. MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV now has a free trial consisting of A Realm Reborn plus the award-winning first expansion, Heavensward, with no time restriction. Unfortunately you lose access to the free trial if you have ever subscribed on that account, so returning players still have to pay.

Endwalker won't be the final expansion, but it is the end of the current main story arc that has lasted since the start of A Realm Reborn, or really since the original 1.0 back in 2010. Whatever they're doing with the story next will be explored in the post-release patches over the next 2 years.

The expansion also features male Viera and two new jobs:
Sage is a healer which fights with independently flying magic bits that shoot lasers and shield allies.

kcl8u5mas4tj.png

Reaper is a melee damage dealer that fights with a scythe and uses a summoned demon as a Jojo stand.

2ylewsjzv6z61.png

Benchmark/character creator preview, with male Viera:
https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/benchmark/

BahamutZERO.gif
Whippy on

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I've never played an MMO in my life

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Gonna suck when we’re forced to run everywhere

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »

with our pants always falling down too

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    new summoner's gonna be lit

unknown.png?width=728&height=546

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

i pay them money to escape reality damnit

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I feel like a putz when I play summoner now

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
  • Options

Patch Notes: pants now have 33% tighter fit.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    finally, the ass definition we've craved

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    The Sage spells (Haima and Panhaima) that give you 5 stacks of a shield that refreshes upon being broken, then heals based on how many stacks are left when the timer ends seem like a good idea.

Edit: Oh, they also have a 15s cooldown that pops their other shield to turn it into healing. Handy.

Billiardball on
    Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    The Sage spells (Haima and Panhaima) that give you 5 stacks of a shield that refreshes upon being broken, then heals based on how many stacks are left when the timer ends seem like a good idea.

Edit: Oh, they also have a 15s cooldown that pops their other shield to turn it into healing. Handy.

I don’t get the point of that. Like, it would make sense if they had no GCD pure heals, but they do.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Shields waste potency if they don't break before timing out and that is annoying, seems like an idea to help refund some of that missed usefulness in the form of a direct heal if the shield would otherwise be wasted.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Group's getting there on wormholes, actually saw the cutscene in TEA tonight!

... everyone was dead but the tanks, but I'll take it!

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Patch Notes: pants now have 33% tighter fit.

All pants are now 2B glamours.

All of them

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    You could play this one almost like a massively singleplayer online game if you want, aside from some occasional easy dungeons and a few trials.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »
    You could play this one almost like a massively singleplayer online game if you want, aside from some occasional easy dungeons and a few trials.

You can even "solo" most dungeons 1-60/71-80 with an NPC party, although the 1-60 system isn't really made for that and has some huge gaps where they couldn't be bothered to program NPC behavior vs. mechanics.

Also, you still need to do all the 8v1 boss fights with other players.

FFXIV is very solo-friendly in general, though. You don't even really need to communicate with anyone to party up for dungeons, the server will just match you up automatically and IME like 90% of dungeon communication is just a "o/" at the beginning and a "gg" at the end.

• Options
    Oh I was joking
    I have hundreds of hours in this

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    tank bone dragon center

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    tank bone dragon center

well i never

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    I just tallied it up among alts, I have 17,432 commendations in total. Turns out I like running roulettes.

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    I have never experienced an mmo balance patch before, is this amount of drastic change usual?

I'm starting to understand the game enough that proposed changes and the leaked tool tips aren't total gibberish to me, and...this all seems extremely drastic.

6.0 Patch Notes: released a different game

• Options
    The expansions tend to involve huge reworks of stuff

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    I have never experienced an mmo balance patch before, is this amount of drastic change usual?

I'm starting to understand the game enough that proposed changes and the leaked tool tips aren't total gibberish to me, and...this all seems extremely drastic.

6.0 Patch Notes: released a different game

balance changes are definitely at their highest when a new expansion launches, which is what 6.0 will be.

Generally speaking, expansion launches are when they iterate on class changes/balance the most, either due to player feedback, quality of life changes, or more general shifts in design philosophy. For patches in between expansions (6.1, 6.2 etc) you will often see numbers tweaks, and sometimes wider changes depending on how important they deem the changes to the overall health of the class, but are less...impactful. Aside from pretty dire circumstances, they're very unlikely to change how a class plays from patch to patch, but will often happen in between expansions, to varying degrees

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    They've done big changes more or less like this for every expansion. They'll do much smaller balance changes with regular patches, but this sort of rework isn't a new thing.

BRD and MCH were basically turrets during Heavensward, and now they're incredibly mobile. MCH also got a huge rework for ShB. DRK had a bunch of big changes going into ShB.

The Job Gauges didn't exist before Stormblood, so each job got some pretty big changes just by getting a Job Gauge.

I'm sure there are many more examples, but those are the ones that spring to mind.

Renzo on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    X.1 and X.2 (and so on) patches are usually potency on abilities being tweaked by a bit. I think AST had one of the heals buffed by 50 and MNKs had a few things go up as well during ShB.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

also girls will be watching

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    It's also why people get so excited over the job ability trailers released prior to each expansion.

You get to look at the new actions and wildly speculate about what that means for how each job will change in the new expac.

H0b0man on
    FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

also girls will be watching

and boys!

I really like the look of the AST changes. Separating Divination from the cards is a big improvement and the new self-buff stuff looks really cool. Hopefully they're good enough buffs to justify paying attention to the suits. SGE looks... really cool, but as @I needed a gnome to post. hinted at I think a lot of long-time FFXIV healers are going to bounce off it hard.

I've mostly stopped playing WAR because it got boring, and unfortunately these changes seem to make it worse. The only interesting part of WAR was tracking gauge so you didn't delay an Upheaval, making sure you had Upheaval and Onslaught both up for Inner Release, and timing Inner Release so you got a full five Fell Cleaves off of it. Now... not a single one of those is relevant? Ah well. I love the style of WAR -- big axe tank > all (big sword tank is good to, but it's distant second) but I doubt I'll play it much in EW.

• Options
    finally, the ass definition we've craved
    3hy7ODJ.jpeg
    Feels like I'm glamming nothin' at all
    Nothin' at all
    Nothin' at all

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Neveron wrote: »
    SabreMau wrote: »

You can even "solo" most dungeons 1-60/71-80 with an NPC party, although the 1-60 system isn't really made for that and has some huge gaps where they couldn't be bothered to program NPC behavior vs. mechanics.

Also, you still need to do all the 8v1 boss fights with other players.

FFXIV is very solo-friendly in general, though. You don't even really need to communicate with anyone to party up for dungeons, the server will just match you up automatically and IME like 90% of dungeon communication is just a "o/" at the beginning and a "gg" at the end.

I don't think you can actually use the squadron system to do dungeons for the story, it's all separated off in its own little ecosystem. And not all dungeons are available for squadron runs. And you can't even unlock it for quite a while in the story.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Random musings on the leaked skills...
    Wow, Scholar did literally get nothing. Dark Knight and White Mage aren't all that much better off. Dark Knight even got left totally out in the cold on the "bonus for using mitigation skills at the right time" mechanic that they tried to hype up.

I'm glad I picked Astrologian as my new healer to level. Their stuff actually looks fun overall. Top players are going to be absolutely furious at damage being tied to RNG, so get ready to hear a ton of that debate until Redraw gets buffed.

Paladin's rotation appears to have gone completely unchanged beyond replacing one Goring Blade combo with three extra Confiteor presses, but they get tons of incidental self-healing and Shelltron is a lot more impactful, so those are good changes.

I don't understand Warrior or Gunblade well enough to be able to tell what changed there. Doesn't look like much beyond the Shelltron equivalents? Paladin and Gunblade getting extra self-healing while Dark Knight, who already struggled in that area, gets none is bumming me out.

Bard gets the thing! Also the new raid buff is the literal furthest possible thing from lining up with raid timers, so that's kind of hilarious.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Sage looks like it has a little busywork involved in setting up stuff with Eukrasia, but I'm fine with that. Still beats waiting on your fairy.

Your resource pips being separated into 3 dps and 3 healing ones sweetens the deal a fair bit and a gap closer is a nice bonus.

Really leaning towards it, but It'll depend on how the job actually feels.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    In general I think class design in current FFXIV is quite good, so I wasn't expecting (or hoping for) more changes to stable classes.

(technically DRK already has "bonus for well-timed mitigation" in TBN)

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Wow, Scholar did literally get nothing. Dark Knight and White Mage aren't all that much better off. Dark Knight even got left totally out in the cold on the "bonus for using mitigation skills at the right time" mechanic that they tried to hype up.

I'm glad I picked Astrologian as my new healer to level. Their stuff actually looks fun overall. Top players are going to be absolutely furious at damage being tied to RNG, so get ready to hear a ton of that debate until Redraw gets buffed.

Paladin's rotation appears to have gone completely unchanged beyond hitting the Confiteor button two more times per minute (for surprisingly lackluster damage?), but they get tons of incidental self-healing and Shelltron is a lot more impactful, so those are good changes.

I don't understand Warrior or Gunblade well enough to be able to tell what changed there. Doesn't look like much beyond the Shelltron equivalents? Paladin and Gunblade getting extra self-healing while Dark Knight, who already struggled in that area, gets none is bumming me out.

Bard gets the thing! Also the new raid buff is the literal furthest possible thing from lining up with raid timers, so that's kind of hilarious.
    Scholar kind of got some soft buffs due to the way that healer GCD times work. You can now weave an Energy Drain (or healing skill, I guess) after a Broil, instead of after Ruin II. That doesn't make it a lot more interesting, but you no longer have to use Ruin II just to do your normal stuff. Which turns Ruin II into more of an emergency movement option than a weave tool. That new Protraction buff is kinda neat. A boost to max HP is an interesting mechanic. But what's more notable is that it boosts healing from all sources by 10% for the duration. Unlike that one fairy skill, this applies to all skills, not just spells. So it actually can boost the effect of Lustrate or Excogitation.

I at least like that DRK has some sorta-flashy new attacks, in Shadow Bringer and Salt And Darkness. I'm not too miffed about them not getting much new in the "using mitigation skills at the right time" thing, because DRK kinda... started that trend, didn't it? Ever since Stormblood, we've had The Blackest Night as a cooldown that rewards you for using it only when you're actually gonna break the shield.

• Options
    1.5s nuke GCD is a fantastic buff to SCH specifically.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Broil, Recite, Broil, Excog, Broil, Soil, Broil, Whispering Dawn...

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »

Paladin's rotation appears to have gone completely unchanged beyond hitting the Confiteor button two more times per minute (for surprisingly lackluster damage?), but they get tons of incidental self-healing and Shelltron is a lot more impactful, so those are good changes.

Scholar kind of got some soft buffs due to the way that healer GCD times work. You can now weave an Energy Drain (or healing skill, I guess) after a Broil, instead of after Ruin II. That doesn't make it a lot more interesting, but you no longer have to use Ruin II just to do your normal stuff. Which turns Ruin II into more of an emergency movement option than a weave tool. That new Protraction buff is kinda neat. A boost to max HP is an interesting mechanic. But what's more notable is that it boosts healing from all sources by 10% for the duration. Unlike that one fairy skill, this applies to all skills, not just spells. So it actually can boost the effect of Lustrate or Excogitation.

I at least like that DRK has some sorta-flashy new attacks, in Shadow Bringer and Salt And Darkness. I'm not too miffed about them not getting much new in the "using mitigation skills at the right time" thing, because DRK kinda... started that trend, didn't it? Ever since Stormblood, we've had The Blackest Night as a cooldown that rewards you for using it only when you're actually gonna break the shield.
    Increasing current HP, max HP, and healing received is mostly equivalent to reducing damage taken by 10%. Astrologian gets that plus a heal at the end, and White Mage gets 15%, both of which sound strictly better to me.

I'm admittedly a lot happier with Dark Knight's current state than Scholar's, so a lackluster expansion isn't exactly ruinous, but still, there's so little unique flavor to it. You get 60-90 second OGCDs largely indistinguishable from the numerous 60-90 second OGCDs you already have every buff window, and then the most boring possible targeted mitigation ability just to keep you from falling too far behind the other tanks getting their TBN-equivalents buffed. None of it feels like it's actually new. If, say, Shadowbringer or Abyssal Drain was a non-charge 30-second OGCD to adjust your tempo, Salt and Darkness had a big self-heal component, and Oblation had any sort of kicker to it at all, I'd have felt better about it.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Increasing current HP, max HP, and healing received is mostly equivalent to reducing damage taken by 10%. Astrologian gets that plus a heal at the end, and White Mage gets 15%, both of which sound strictly better to me.

I'm admittedly a lot happier with Dark Knight's current state than Scholar's, so a lackluster expansion isn't exactly ruinous, but still, there's so little unique flavor to it. You get 60-90 second OGCDs largely indistinguishable from the numerous 60-90 second OGCDs you already have every buff window, and then the most boring possible targeted mitigation ability just to keep you from falling too far behind the other tanks getting their TBN-equivalents buffed. None of it feels like it's actually new. If, say, Shadowbringer or Abyssal Drain was a non-charge 30-second OGCD to adjust your tempo, Salt and Darkness had a big self-heal component, and Oblation had any sort of kicker to it at all, I'd have felt better about it.
    The upside of the HP buff is that you can throw Adloqium at the tail end of that to functionally extend it further. And Deployment Tactics that buffed shield over the whole party. It interacts in neat ways with a barrier healer. And since SCH is apparently getting an additional party-wide damage reducer on top of that, they're going to have Protraction (pseudo damage reducer, interesting synergies), Sacred Soil (30s cooldown reduction and regen), and the haste/reduction buff. So it helps there.

I'd have liked something a little flashier, but I'm going to wait and see how that Broil cast time reduction feels too - SCH has a mountain of oGCDs that are going to flow so much better.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Leaked skill stuff, BRD specific
    I am almost 100% sure that the leaked BRD tooltip is actually a 120s cd, and the 90s is just a typo/hasn't been updated since songs were moved to a two minute cycle.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    ph blake wrote: »
    Leaked skill stuff, BRD specific
    I am almost 100% sure that the leaked BRD tooltip is actually a 120s cd, and the 90s is just a typo/hasn't been updated since songs were moved to a two minute cycle.
    But if you use it in your opener the first use absolutely sucks, so who knows what they expect players to do. Maybe they expect you to hold your first use until the 60 second mark and then use it on cooldown until you align with buffs again on your third use at 240 seconds. There's no obviously efficient way to use it either way.

This discussion has been closed.