Options

Aesop [Chat]

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Tumin wrote: »
    Hmmm speaking of GOT

I had no idea Matt Smith got cast as Daemon Targeryen. He gets such good roles hmph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNwwt25mheo

After the way they shit the bed, I find it hard to care about GoT anymore. And prequels I just can't care about.

Man, what a waste for a series that was a cultural phenomenon for years.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Matt Smith: Great

Game of Thrones: Terrible

it's a pickle. he'll probably do good acting though

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Elves are 100% gentrifiers

Nah

they're the original suburbanites

"look at all these humans and shit ruining the neighborhood, time to sail west where we don't have to deal with *their kind* anymore"

In our defense humans are garbage

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

Too damn hot take it away

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    you have to milk the IP cows just right otherwise you get clumpy sour milk that only sickos enjoy

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Also lifting in a mask wasn't half as bad as I expected. I took it easy on the weight since this was the first time in over a year but I was pleasantly surprised to find all my lifting form stuff was like riding a bike, felt like I had been in lifting like last week.

Gym was still crazy packed, though. Just as much so as like before the pandemic.
    @Winky

yaaaaaaaaay

i was here to help with this!!

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I like the "science fantasy" or whatever you'd call it in Final Fantasy XIV plus pretty much every FF game. Magic exists, let's do science to it!

Even better when it's ff7 and it's like, ok lets do half steampunk half cyberpunk magic science to it

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Battlechess Enhanced
    https://youtu.be/gKLRksGedOI

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I like the "science fantasy" or whatever you'd call it in Final Fantasy XIV plus pretty much every FF game. Magic exists, let's do science to it!

What could possibly go wrong!?

*cue the apocalypse*

FFXIV spoilers from 2013 I guess?
    I hate it when I try to smash the moon into my enemy's continent and a moon-sized dragon pops out.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Also lifting in a mask wasn't half as bad as I expected. I took it easy on the weight since this was the first time in over a year but I was pleasantly surprised to find all my lifting form stuff was like riding a bike, felt like I had been in lifting like last week.

Gym was still crazy packed, though. Just as much so as like before the pandemic.
    Winky

yaaaaaaaaay

i was here to help with this!!

It's true! I've retained what you taught me

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    you have to milk the IP cows just right otherwise you get clumpy sour milk that only sickos enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xluxT4fj2U8

• Options
    But that's just a theme I really enjoy when it's done well. Magic is just another force to use in science, like electricity or gravity.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    checked my bedroom ceiling lights since they went out.
    turns out unlike all the other bedrooms my bedroom is outfitted for three candle style bulbs instead of regular.
    well shit
    lets see
    wiat they want $50 per smart hue color bulb now what
    thats $150 for a single ceiling light
    what the ever fucking christ aghhh

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    i like the 'red makes it faster' magic of 40K where if enough people think something is real, it is. like technically if enough people believed in santa claus on an Imperial world, then santa claus would exist on that world.

then santa claus world would get glassed from space for being heretics

• Options
    TTODewback wrote: »
    turns out unlike all the other bedrooms my bedroom is outfitted for three candle style bulbs instead of regular.
    well shit
    lets see

lolwut

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    oh wow i just noticed the ps5 shows you totaled hours played of your games

i have played 1200 hours of bloodborne

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Elves are 100% gentrifiers

Nah

they're the original suburbanites

"look at all these humans and shit ruining the neighborhood, time to sail west where we don't have to deal with *their kind* anymore"

Didn't they originally come from the West too though?

They came from Middle-Earth, went West, then some came back which was against the rules and then they also went back to the West.

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    oh wow i just noticed the ps5 shows you totaled hours played of your games

i have played 1200 hours of bloodborne

Why must they shame us like this

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    well shit
    lets see

lolwut

cost is up like 70% since the last time I shopped for bulbs

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    But that's just a theme I really enjoy when it's done well. Magic is just another force to use in science, like electricity or gravity.

I just finished reading The Witness for the Dead, which is like a grounded detective novel set in a fantasy world that's progressed into steampunk era technology. So there's like airships and mass factory worker protests and also occasionally a wizard who can kill you with a spell. But it's all treated with an equal level of mundane normality, so like our cleric/detective has to go to Werewolf Hill, but obviously there's no such thing as werewolves that's just a silly peasant folk tale which is frankly embarrassing that anyone believes in... There are ghosts there though, watch out for the ghosts, they're a real public health hazard.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Zavian wrote: »
    i like the 'red makes it faster' magic of 40K where if enough people think something is real, it is. like technically if enough people believed in santa claus on an Imperial world, then santa claus would exist on that world.

then santa claus world would get glassed from space for being heretics

Santa-Logan-Grimnar.jpg

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

He was in Terminator Genesys. Doesn't have good luck picking roles post Who u guess :D

• Options
    Kana wrote: »

I just finished reading The Witness for the Dead, which is like a grounded detective novel set in a fantasy world that's progressed into steampunk era technology. So there's like airships and mass factory worker protests and also occasionally a wizard who can kill you with a spell. But it's all treated with an equal level of mundane normality, so like our cleric/detective has to go to Werewolf Hill, but obviously there's no such thing as werewolves that's just a silly peasant folk tale which is frankly embarrassing that anyone believes in... There are ghosts there though, watch out for the ghosts, they're a real public health hazard.

Now what was the name of that book... City of Stairs. Really liked that trilogy. It's a spy novel, set after gods were killed and suddenly there are cars and stuff... and also long-distance magic mirrors for communication.
    The city of Bulikov once wielded the powers of the gods to conquer the world, enslaving and brutalizing millions — until its divine protectors were killed. Now, Bulikov’s history has been censored and erased, its citizens subjugated. But the surreal landscape of the city itself, forever altered by the thousands of miracles its guardians once worked upon it, stands as a haunting reminder of its former supremacy.

Into this broken city steps Shara Thivani. Officially, the unassuming young woman is just another junior diplomat sent by Bulikov’s oppressors. Unofficially, she is one of her country’s most accomplished spies, dispatched — along with her terrifying “secretary”, Sigrud — to solve a murder.

But as Shara pursues the killer, she starts to suspect that the beings who ruled this terrible place may not be as dead as they seem, and that Bulikov’s cruel reign may not yet be over.

A tale of vast conspiracies, dead gods, and buried histories, City of Stairs is at once a gripping spy novel and a stunningly original work of fantasy.

• Options
    cost is about the same as it was last year for just a warm-cool white bulb UNLESS you buy a single bulb
    then they charge like a 60% premium if you buy a single bulb
    my ceiling lamp is three bulbs.
    so two of them you pay about 15.50 per bulb
    and the third bulb you pay $25 for.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    There was some other thing I read where enslaved gods were the equivalent of nuclear power, and just as lethal when things go wrong.

• Options
    well shit
    lets see

lolwut

cost is up like 70% since the last time I shopped for bulbs

Even at half the price that's still stupidly expensive

• Options
    A Dead Djinn in Cairo is a short story that's a prequel to a proper novel that I haven't read yet.
    Egypt, 1912. In an alternate Cairo infused with the otherworldly, the Ministry of Alchemy, Enchantments and Supernatural Entities investigate disturbances between the mortal and the (possibly) divine. What starts off as an odd suicide case for Special Investigator Fatma el-Sha’arawi leads her through the city’s underbelly as she encounters rampaging ghouls, saucy assassins, clockwork angels, and plot that could unravel time itself.

• Options
    That short story really wants you to know that djinns have big schlongers.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    A Dead Djinn in Cairo is a short story that's a prequel to a proper novel that I haven't read yet.
    Egypt, 1912. In an alternate Cairo infused with the otherworldly, the Ministry of Alchemy, Enchantments and Supernatural Entities investigate disturbances between the mortal and the (possibly) divine. What starts off as an odd suicide case for Special Investigator Fatma el-Sha’arawi leads her through the city’s underbelly as she encounters rampaging ghouls, saucy assassins, clockwork angels, and plot that could unravel time itself.

P. Djèlí Clark can't miss.

• Options
    I could get some knockoff smart lights but they'll probably hijack my wifi for china or some shit

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    That short story really wants you to know that djinns have big schlongers.

that is important information tho

• Options
    I could get some knockoff smart lights but they'll probably hijack my wifi for china or some shit

this is why IOT is shit

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Kana wrote: »

I'm trying to get through The Goblin Emperor right now and it's very refreshing to read something that's actually lighthearted fantasy that I almost can't believe it. Like every chapter I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and the demons start eating everyone (I know this is not that kind of book)

The magic level of the world is a little nonsense but eh, whatever. Light fare is really nice after all the grimdarky darkbad.

Tumin on
  • Options
    I guess I started playing FFXIV instead of reading.

zsobguwa64tz.png

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    My taskbar won't hide when I fullscreen a steam game and this is violence

• Options
    Cree is owned by Ideal which is American based company so they might be a good alternative

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2021
    @Bogart @Evil Multifarious @Jacobkosh @Mojo_Jojo @Athenor @Vee

So Pandemic was really enjoyable. We (puppies, skippy, myself) played it on easy/introductory. We won very handily in terms of outbreaks (I think we hit 3/8?) and we never got close to using all our disease cubes. But we very nearly lost on player cards. We won on the last possible turn; if we didn’t cure the final disease on that last turn we’d have had to draw the final two player cards and lost.

Is eradication ever a good goal? We didn’t focus on it at all (and didn’t achieve it for any of the four diseases). And even so we almost ran out of player cards. It really felt like if we’d have diverted any player actions to eradicating, we wouldn’t have had the time we needed to achieve the actual victory condition.

Thoughts?

Organichu on
  • Options
    I guess I started playing FFXIV instead of reading.

zsobguwa64tz.png

but FFXIV has a LOT of reading.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    imagine playing FFXIV and not skipping past all the dialogue and cutscenes

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Organichu wrote: »

So Pandemic was really enjoyable. We (puppies, skippy, myself) played it on easy/introductory. We won very handily in terms of outbreaks (I think we hit 3/8?) and we never got close to using all our disease cubes. But we very nearly lost on player cards. We won on the last possible turn; if we didn’t cure the final disease on that last turn we’d have had to draw the final two player cards and lost.

Is eradication ever a good goal? We didn’t focus on it at all (and didn’t achieve it for any of the four diseases). And even so we almost ran out of player cards. It really felt like if we’d have diverted any player actions to eradicating, we wouldn’t have had the time we needed to achieve the actual victory condition.

Thoughts?

Only eradicate if it doesn’t take more than one person’s turn to do so (usually the medic after finding a cure for a color, since moving = treating for the medic) or you are playing Pandemic Legacy (you get to name the disease and purchase upgrades for future chapters, which makes a HUGE difference in difficulty).

EDIT: Stripping out the batsignals

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
This discussion has been closed.