As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[sysadmin] on-call schedule - Always you

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    I've never had an interview throw every single red flag at once before.

Interviewing for a sysadmin "lead".

Turns out the position isn't leading anything, you're the only one. And not the only sysadmin, the only IT staff in a company of 80 employees. The previous 1 IT guy is a programmer who got roped into the job and is refusing to do it anymore.

They do government contracting and are "expanding rapidly". They are staffed by highly credentialed "Really smart people" who " Aren't computer people".

They refuse to outline their budget for the position even when asked point blank.

There is some government certification they know nothing about, but they want whoever they hire to research and start implementing it. (presumably so they can get more contracts.)

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »
    I've never had an interview throw every single red flag at once before.

Interviewing for a sysadmin "lead".

Turns out the position isn't leading anything, you're the only one. And not the only sysadmin, the only IT staff in a company of 80 employees. The previous 1 IT guy is a programmer who got roped into the job and is refusing to do it anymore.

They do government contracting and are "expanding rapidly". They are staffed by highly credentialed "Really smart people" who " Aren't computer people".

They refuse to outline their budget for the position even when asked point blank.

There is some government certification they know nothing about, but they want whoever they hire to research and start implementing it. (presumably so they can get more contracts.)

https://youtu.be/75aGG27dGUA

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Hahaha I bet they want CMMC, which to ask for one guy to implement for a company by himself is all the more extra LOL, hell without an IT dept I bet it's all bring your own PCs with their data spread around amongst 'free' personal level Box and OneDrive accounts.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    How my morning went: needed to set up new firewall and switch in new warehouse location. Get to location, plug firewall in, set up the public IP information on the WAN interface, and..... nothing. No internet.

Plug my laptop into the ISP modem with the exact same IP information, and I have connectivity. So I know its something with the router.

Fight with router for an hour, no luck. Call fortinet support. After an hour of the engineer also fighting with it our eventual solution was to delete the default firewall profile, which had not been altered in any way and was set to allow all traffic to all interfaces, create a new default firewall profile with the same settings.... and everything started working.

The best part is because there was no WAN connectivity for the engineer to be able go into the firewall I had tethered my phone to my laptop. Except the warehouse location is in the middle of nowhere, and my phone was getting 2mbit down, 512kbit up, with an average latency of 1500ms. If I put my phone down on the concrete floor the signal would drop. If I kept my phone sitting about 2 feet off the concrete floor it would maintain the connection.\

It was a really fun morning.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Huh. My first thought was that your ISP is mac address filtering and you need to clone the old MAC. I run into that occasionally and it infuriates me when I remember that.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Huh. My first thought was that your ISP is mac address filtering and you need to clone the old MAC. I run into that occasionally and it infuriates me when I remember that.

Yeah, absolutely zero idea what/why. Best guess is just something went weird in the default firewall config when the device initialized. This was a new device fresh out of box. I would have never thought to delete the default firewall "allow all traffic all the time" profile since it's literally "allow all traffic all the time"

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Label printer for our software isn't working so they call me. I tell them to call the software company's tech support as I seem to remember last time they had some arcane way to send the print job to the printer through their software and a temp print server function. I get a call after an hour saying the software company's tech support couldn't do anything else as they didn't want to mess around with the computer. I ask if they removed the printer. Nope. I ask if they reinstalled the printer. Nope. I ask if they even restarted the computer. Nope.

WTF

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Label printer for our software isn't working so they call me. I tell them to call the software company's tech support as I seem to remember last time they had some arcane way to send the print job to the printer through their software and a temp print server function. I get a call after an hour saying the software company's tech support couldn't do anything else as they didn't want to mess around with the computer. I ask if they removed the printer. Nope. I ask if they reinstalled the printer. Nope. I ask if they even restarted the computer. Nope.

WTF

"We've done absolutely nothing, and we're all out of ideas."

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    twmjr wrote: »

WTF

"We've done absolutely nothing, and we're all out of ideas."

related to the conversation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHcqNVjGJN4

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Do you guys remember that place I interviewed at a few months back? Well I had a few meetings over the last week and now I have a job offer. I would be doing the same technical sales engineering I'm doing now. I'd still be designing IT solutions from workstations, to new servers, phone systems and more. Just, for a lot more money. I made my case to my current employer today. They countered at a full $15k less per year. That was pretty unacceptable so I'm probably going to take this new job. It's been a long road getting here but I'm feeling pretty good about it. The company seems very similar to my current company. So similar it's kind of like that episode of Seinfeld where the cast meets Elaine's other friends. The person I interviewed with is who I'll be working under. She seems like a great person. I'm pretty nervous about quitting the only job I've had in a decade but I need more than they can give me.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Do you guys remember that place I interviewed at a few months back? Well I had a few meetings over the last week and now I have a job offer. I would be doing the same technical sales engineering I'm doing now. I'd still be designing IT solutions from workstations, to new servers, phone systems and more. Just, for a lot more money. I made my case to my current employer today. They countered at a full $15k less per year. That was pretty unacceptable so I'm probably going to take this new job. It's been a long road getting here but I'm feeling pretty good about it. The company seems very similar to my current company. So similar it's kind of like that episode of Seinfeld where the cast meets Elaine's other friends. The person I interviewed with is who I'll be working under. She seems like a great person. I'm pretty nervous about quitting the only job I've had in a decade but I need more than they can give me.

Based on the stories you've shared about your old job, this sounds like a good move. At the very least, perhaps a change in scenery will help give more perspective.

Also, just for future reference - if you have to tell your current employer to make a counteroffer then you should just leave. They will resent you for making them pay more than they wanted to, you will resent them for forcing them to pay you what you're worth, and both of you will question your "loyalty" to each other.

Congratulations! Make sure you do something to celebrate!

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

Based on the stories you've shared about your old job, this sounds like a good move. At the very least, perhaps a change in scenery will help give more perspective.

Also, just for future reference - if you have to tell your current employer to make a counteroffer then you should just leave. They will resent you for making them pay more than they wanted to, you will resent them for forcing them to pay you what you're worth, and both of you will question your "loyalty" to each other.

Yeah on the bolded.

I only ever notify that I'm leaving, I don't leave them the option to counter (mostly because even if they did, I would never take it.)

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Drovek wrote: »

Yeah on the bolded.

I only ever notify that I'm leaving, I don't leave them the option to counter (mostly because even if they did, I would never take it.)

I mean, I didn't have to tell them to counteroffer. I simply told them why I went looking for a new job and why I thought I was worth what they were offering me. I left them to mull it over and come up with a counteroffer. There is not resentment there. It's not an adversarial environment over here. No one is questioning anyone loyalty. This isn't that kind of workplace.

That said, they are cheap, lazy, and squalid here. this what annoys me the most about working here. It's a family but we're in the business equivalent of a trailer home. It's a dirty old building with a leaky roof and rats. The floor is just polished concrete. I am cheap and lazy myself but even this place strains my sensibilities. I will probably have to put in more effort at my new job but I think it'll be good for me. I've kind of worn myself into a comfortable rut over the last 9 years. I should tread new ground.

Really my main deciding factor is just money. I could put up with all of it if they'd just pay me what I'm worth. But they can't even do that so I'm moving on. I don't expect any ill will or resentment over it, though. Most everyone is just happy I'm moving up.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    So um...did anyone get a message from their IA department that there is a potentially massive OpenSSL zero day on a par with log4j where all details are embargoed until the patch is released next Tuesday?

From the language the security folks are using it sounds like some bricks are being shit. Lots of bold text about planning to deploy the patch immediately upon release or have unpatched systems isolated / disabled.

I can't imagine there's much detail out there yet but this seems fairly bad.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Only saw some M/H or H/M, no H/H alerts the last few days. Could be that NCSC didn't publish anything yet on this.

Yep: nothing official yet, but apparently OpenSSL 3.x affected.

Dizzy D on
    Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    So um...did anyone get a message from their IA department that there is a potentially massive OpenSSL zero day on a par with log4j where all details are embargoed until the patch is released next Tuesday?

From the language the security folks are using it sounds like some bricks are being shit. Lots of bold text about planning to deploy the patch immediately upon release or have unpatched systems isolated / disabled.

I can't imagine there's much detail out there yet but this seems fairly bad.

Yeah I heard about this too, with similar levels of "this is bad".

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Boy, I sure do love this job.

I already know I've got OpenSSL all over my environment. But if you can't tell me what the risks are or what mitigation options might be, then this announcement is some real "The food you're eating right now could kill you! Story at 11." mental terrorism.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    So far all I can see is: when the patch comes out next Tuesday, start patching away. It does give me a bit to inventory the whole environment at least.

Though my recent experience with CVE-patches is that the first patch usually won't fix things or even make things worst, so we're probably looking at a week of patching and re-patching.

• Options
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    So far all I can see is: when the patch comes out next Tuesday, start patching away. It does give me a bit to inventory the whole environment at least.

Though my recent experience with CVE-patches is that the first patch usually won't fix things or even make things worst, so we're probably looking at a week of patching and re-patching.

And that's great if all you have are some basic Linux servers you can patch yourself. But we've got all sorts of virtual appliances, all sorts of physical hardware, devices/applications with specific software requirements, etc that require vendor supplied patches, some requiring multiple vendor collaboration, and some stuff that either cannot or will not be patched.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »

And that's great if all you have are some basic Linux servers you can patch yourself. But we've got all sorts of virtual appliances, all sorts of physical hardware, devices/applications with specific software requirements, etc that require vendor supplied patches, some requiring multiple vendor collaboration, and some stuff that either cannot or will not be patched.

Yeah literally every device in my environment has openssl, including workstations, this is bullshit.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Are many of them 3.0 though? It's only like a year old and I figure most of these vendor supported devices are running something older

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Details of the OpenSSL cves are out and initial analysis seems to indicate that exploitation would be rather difficult.

Requires a malicious cert with a valid CA signature, the compiled executable needs to be executing without stack guards, and the overflows need rather specific stack layouts to create a working exploit primitive.

Obviously run your triage process but this doesn't sound like an all hands on deck situation

Edit: plus the aforementioned narrow set of vulnerable versions, 3.0-3.06

Carpy on
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    It's official. All of my paperwork and screenings have been approved. I am cleared to start my new job on the 21st.

Just as I am doing now, I'll be given opportunities to engineer into quotes. I'll use documentation systems, my knowledge of products, RMM tools, clients, project engineers, and my fellow sales engineers to design solutions ranging from wireless deployments, to new servers, to major workstation deployments. A BIG part of the sales engineering process is the project plan and scope of work. That is where I shine because I have done it all. You can name ANY job in IT and I've done it. Workstation break/fix, server break/fix, deployments of all types, wiring, phone systems, access control, cameras, even sound engineering. I am by NO means an expert in all of it, but I can tell you what's going to be involved in accomplishing it. All of this is to say that I think I am going to be a rockstar at this new job.

Best of all, I'm going to finally be able to focus solely on technical sales engineering. No more handling shipping and receiving. No more breaking down boxes and taking out the trash. No more having to pull and stage products for the project engineers. No longer will I have to deal with the weekly catering. 3+ hours of most Fridays used to be occupied prepping for, picking up, setting up, tearing down, and cleaning up after the office's catered lunches. I am so excited to be rid of all this fucking CHAFF that has been bogging me down at my old job for years.

So, I'll be making $70k + Commision, which averages $5-6k per year. One cool benefit comes in if we hit certain sales goals "President’s club will be an all-expense paid 4-day trip for the sales engineer and their significant other or guest." The company I am going to work for is owned by a holding company. This holding company also owns a travel company and some small resorts so I reckon I'll pick from one of them. Last year I barely hit 51k.

I am really excited for that extra money to start coming in. I'm going to finally be able to start saving again. I already own my place and don't intend to sell it any time soon. I'm not planning on drastically changing my lifestyle either. I intend to save as much of this as I can.

Edit: Best of all, NO MORE ON-CALL! I'm not a technician anymore, there's no reason for me to be in the on-call rotation.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    First Azure migration done and it went pretty well. Not using full Azure AD, still in a Hybrid setup while using a hosted VM for Active Directory and AVD for remote access. Short of some resource limits being reached (Teams is a hog in remote desktop) that was fixed with a 5 minute shutdown and doubling of resources, nothing major came up. Main thing has been sorting out audio issues and teaching people the correct way to do things.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Does anyone use something to backup Azure AD, and what do you use?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Does anyone use something to backup Azure AD, and what do you use?

Axiant 360 is the solution my old company uses.

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I would like to update my statement to: this is terrible, send help.

People are just impatient for learning a new system, it's barely any different than what they were used to but it's just a nightmare dealing with printers randomly not working properly, software not loading files properly, and other dumb shit. Doesn't help that I'm getting swamped with this while tickets for other people pile up.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I have a powershell dilemma

I'm trying to setup a script that can rename AD bound machines remotely. The actual commands are pretty simple its creating a script that doesn't store a domain admin password in plain text that's the problem. From what i understand creating a PSCredential object and spitting it out to a file only works on the original computer and user.

How would I create a script that can non interactively run the rename command that could be run remotely?

• Options
    If you have admin rights on the other computers and those PCs are in the same network or at least reachable from your management server, you can use invoke-command to run commands on those other computers with the stored credential on the PC you're running the script from.

Also I think if you use Rename-Computer you don't need to be logged on on the computer you want to rename, but it's been a while.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    It’s late so I’m not able to wrap my head around scripting that, but one thing I would mention is that you don’t need a domain admin account to join/unjoin/rename computers from AD. It comes with its own set of dangers to use a lower privilege account but it is far safer than scripting something with domain admin privs. You just need to assign a couple of permissions to the account in AD. I’ve been trying to get our group to stop using their domain admin accounts for tasks that do not require that much power, and this was one big step forward for that.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    We're just starting to experiment with it but so far I am finding Hybrid join Azure Ad/Ad to be a giant pile of compromises

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Am I missing something with HAProxy? Does it really not want to pass Basic auth asked by the backend through to the frontend so the client can send a follow up request with a password? Why is this apparently never done?

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Am I missing something with HAProxy? Does it really not want to pass Basic auth asked by the backend through to the frontend so the client can send a follow up request with a password? Why is this apparently never done?

That doesn't sound like something that HAProxy breaks, if you're just passing back valid responses with headers then it would trigger the client.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    lol so we're moving our AV solution away from a MSP we're getting away from to a Fortinet based, their Endpoint Management Server. Old provider used an AV solution based off of ESET.

So I get the forticlient set up, and push it to a computer as a test, client pushes fine. I leave it over lunch, come back to a warning from the forinet client that the computer has a log4j vulnerability.

Go back to the ESET dashboard... all green.

I'm very excited to see what I'm going to have to deal with once I roll this out to the other 120 computers.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    lol so we're moving our AV solution away from a MSP we're getting away from to a Fortinet based, their Endpoint Management Server. Old provider used an AV solution based off of ESET.

So I get the forticlient set up, and push it to a computer as a test, client pushes fine. I leave it over lunch, come back to a warning from the forinet client that the computer has a log4j vulnerability.

I'm very excited to see what I'm going to have to deal with once I roll this out to the other 120 computers.

Endpoint Management would include patching so it would be looking for outdated software versions. ESET as AV only would not, unless you run inventory reports yourself looking for vulnerable versions. Was your MSP not doing anything with patching?

And for log4j specifically, just because it detected something doesn't necessarily mean you're vulnerable to it. Non-resident on-demand utilities for example might include the old vulnerable files but wouldn't be an actual risk as they are not running as a service for an attacker to compromise.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

Endpoint Management would include patching so it would be looking for outdated software versions. ESET as AV only would not, unless you run inventory reports yourself looking for vulnerable versions. Was your MSP not doing anything with patching?

And for log4j specifically, just because it detected something doesn't necessarily mean you're vulnerable to it. Non-resident on-demand utilities for example might include the old vulnerable files but wouldn't be an actual risk as they are not running as a service for an attacker to compromise.

Oh I know all that. oru MSP did do the patching of our OS's, which we're also bringing out of them and to an in house solution.

I'm just more "oh great, I've installed this on literally one computer and already found a thing to remediate, I'm really excited for what 120 more computers could bring"

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    So we're working through an amalgamation and i've created some domain trusts with vpn tunnels to lash things together, get people access to files in the other orgs. Working on bringing the last org onboard and ... it's shocking how fucking bad their servers are. I have literally thrown better, newer hardware in the garbage at our org because it was too old, out of warranty, had too little RAM or storage. What a shameful fucking mess. They're the kind of client we'd fire back when I worked at an external IT shop.

The scorecard of what I have inherited at other orgs:

An exchange 2010 server at one.
    A server in a "server room" with crumbling plaster and lath ceiling that was so wet it eventually collapsed at another.
    An assortment of 8 or 9 servers that are each and everyone out of warranty, many with attractive amber lights for various failings at the third.

Nosf on
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    So...you don't like it that the mp4 file opens up in a browser from Teams because you have to log into your 365 account from the browser.
    A fix would be to not log out from your 365 account from the browser.
    But you think that's a security risk as you always log out from your 365 account on your browser when you are done.
    But you never log out from your 365 account on Teams and don't think that's a security risk?
    So you want a permanent solution to not use Teams and just use the browser all the time.
    But you do realize you have to still log into your 365 account on the browser?

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    So...you don't like it that the mp4 file opens up in a browser from Teams because you have to log into your 365 account from the browser.
    A fix would be to not log out from your 365 account from the browser.
    But you think that's a security risk as you always log out from your 365 account on your browser when you are done.
    But you never log out from your 365 account on Teams and don't think that's a security risk?
    So you want a permanent solution to not use Teams and just use the browser all the time.
    But you do realize you have to still log into your 365 account on the browser?

Tell them to log into teams via teams.microsoft.com in their web browser and use the web version.

• Options
    swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    Why are users so stupid?

On a whim, I checked a mailbox I used for automated emails, and there are a TON of replies.

I literally say in the emails “don’t reply to this email, no one will read it.”

Hopefully they figured their shit out cuz I just mass deleted all the emails.