As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best online resources to learn python

SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
edited October 2021 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on the best way to learn python?

For some context, I run a data science/analytics team and it turns out one of my virtual reports, 2 years ago, converted a number of our R tools to python without informing me -- left the business, turns out the work is unfinished, and now I have to pick it up and fix it all.

For my own skills, I'm a mathematician, physicist, and management consultant 1st and programmer 2nd, with programming experience going back to Fortran and up to C#, as well as a heap of skill in R which is our internal preferred package for mathematics purposes.

I'm looking for tutorials not just on syntax/object handling/table handling and the like but even just project structure such as what an environment is and lives, how does Anaconda interact with Spyder interact with Jupyter and how is that different from more traditional things, what is best practice for this workflow in a business context...

It seems most resources are very 'cowboy programmer' or 'spaghetti programmer' and don't consider any of the most practical requirements in an actual business organisation (also common with R)

Serpent on

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    So I was in a fairly similar situation as you when I migrated from R to Python. I'm a biologist/statistician, currently running a data science team for an insurance company. Personally I found the transition really easy as there are lots of similarities in how things work in the two languages. The most noticeable difference when starting out is that Python doesn't have the native data frames of R for data tables, but you have to rely on the very widely used and excellent Pandas library instead. There are shitloads of resources and tutorials for Pandas, so that's where I'd start. Unfortunately I can't point you to any specific one(s) since it's been a while, but I'm pretty sure Google's algorithms will point you in the right direction.

Generally most online resources and tutorials are either very cowboy-style, or else tailored to specific tasks, cloud platforms, etc. So it might be best to be pretty specific when searching.

MSL59.jpg