As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Turning out a New Third Age [WoT TV show] [for Book readers]

1575859606163»

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Seems like they hit most of the important plot points for book 3; Callendor doesn't become important until later so I imagine it and Tear will come into play then, with maybe Falme being a substitute for some Tear stuff at the beginning of next season.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah the Tear stuff is probably being moved to after season 3. Probably just before or after Cairhien.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    I wouldn’t be surprised if Tear is dropped entirely and Rand finds Callandor in Rhuidean instead of the Choedan Kal (and the Choedan Kal simply do not show up in this adaptation).

I wonder if Mat’s makeshift spear will be this adaptation’s equivalent of his ashandarei?

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    physi_marc wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be surprised if Tear is dropped entirely and Rand finds Callandor in Rhuidean instead of the Choedan Kal (and the Choedan Kal simply do not show up in this adaptation).

I wonder if Mat’s makeshift spear will be this adaptation’s equivalent of his ashandarei?

Man, I hope not. That spear was so dumb.

• Options
    I really hope we don't lose the Snakes and Foxes. Hopefully dagger spear is just a preview (think Padan needs to get the dagger back anyway).

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular

Man, I hope not. That spear was so dumb.

Like Mac's ShotgunAxe in Agents of Shield, they will probably find some way to make it a "real weapon" instead of an improvised thing, whether it includes the dagger or he just ends up using spears/polearms, even if he doesn't get the special one.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I can't see skipping the Chodean Kal, that whole section is so symbolic of the start of a new era of cooperation between Aes Sedai and Ashaman, even if that particular thread doesn't really land until much later.

Plus, it's a brilliant sequence to adapt and it can be woven through a whole episode for either a finale or a midseason, just ending the episode on "it's clean"

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    If they skip the Choedan Kal, I would expect the cleansing to happen with the whole Aes Sedai + Ashaman, but Rand and Nynaeve using only Callandor or something similar.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Tying off weaves was a common thing amongst aes sedai in the books wasnt it? In the show they’re making it a forgotten thing and I’m wondering why 🤔

Anyway I am pleased as punch that the second season is so much better than the first

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I really hope we don't lose the Snakes and Foxes. Hopefully dagger spear is just a preview (think Padan needs to get the dagger back anyway).

Been a bit since I read them but does he actually need it back? Seems like the most important part of him having it just happened

Edit: kinda surprised they didn't end on Rand declaring himself, didn't that happen at the end of 2

Carpy on
  • Options
    You know, there were two other important notes to come out of the last few episodes that became a big thing throughout the books.
    Prophecies suck. Don't trust them, ESPECIALLY when they are being pushed by the baddies. But also kinda do? Propheices suck. (Both the "historical" ones and Min's visions)

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Tying off weaves was a common thing amongst aes sedai in the books wasnt it? In the show they’re making it a forgotten thing and I’m wondering why 🤔

Anyway I am pleased as punch that the second season is so much better than the first

Plot holes? They might have some stuff coming up where tying off the weaves would lead to fridge logic problems.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Tying off weaves is initially introduced as something that not every woman knows how to do. I couldn’t find earlier mentions, but this is from The Shadow Rising, chapter 54:
    Power being woven, or maybe a weave maintained. Few women knew the trick of tying a weave.

And before that, Rand discovers how to do it by himself in chapter 2, but of course, he’s just discovering everything by himself at that point. Egwene also ties off weaves in The Dragon Reborn, chapter 55, but I can’t find any commentary around it besides that throwaway line quoted above.

Maybe Jordan changed his mind about it being well-known in later books? I’ll keep an eye out for it on a future re-read.

physi_marc on
  • Options
    Carpy wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »

Been a bit since I read them but does he actually need it back? Seems like the most important part of him having it just happened

Edit: kinda surprised they didn't end on Rand declaring himself, didn't that happen at the end of 2

Eh, maybe the most important role it plays already happened but I still like Fain having it over Mat (why would Mat keep it, knowing how dangerous it is? Other than Mat liking to live dangerously).

• Options
    Tying off weaves is initially introduced as something that not every woman knows how to do. I couldn’t find earlier mentions, but this is from The Shadow Rising, chapter 54:
    Power being woven, or maybe a weave maintained. Few women knew the trick of tying a weave.

And before that, Rand discovers how to do it by himself in chapter 2, but of course, he’s just discovering everything by himself at that point. Egwene also ties off weaves in The Dragon Reborn, chapter 55, but I can’t find any commentary around it besides that throwaway line quoted above.

Maybe Jordan changed his mind about it being well-known in later books? I’ll keep an eye out for it on a future re-read.

So much gets added, "redisovered" or even discovered for real (as far as the characters are all concerned) over the course of the books, who knows. Untying weaves, inverting weaves, what happens when you don't untie a weave correctly, Skimming, Travelling. Some of the crazy stuff Egwene does, especially at the end. Anyway, the point is, it's hard to keep track.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Hydropolo wrote: »

So much gets added, "rediscovered" or even discovered for real (as far as the characters are all concerned) over the course of the books, who knows. Untying weaves, inverting weaves, what happens when you don't untie a weave correctly, Skimming, Travelling. Some of the crazy stuff Egwene does, especially at the end. Anyway, the point is, it's hard to keep track.

yeah tbh it's so up in the air that I don't mind saying that in this age, Tying Off has been forgotten for whatever reason (eg the tower having some doctrine about leaving weaves unattended) it makes that rediscovery or development a bit more of an exciting power up as well as a nice point of difference between the AoL channellers and modern ones.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options

So much gets added, "redisovered" or even discovered for real (as far as the characters are all concerned) over the course of the books, who knows. Untying weaves, inverting weaves, what happens when you don't untie a weave correctly, Skimming, Travelling. Some of the crazy stuff Egwene does, especially at the end. Anyway, the point is, it's hard to keep track.

Yeah, there's several things that are things that individuals picked up (often teenage tricks) as well as weaves that are secret within Ajahs that everyone else just assumes don't exist. E.g. Compulsion itself is "unknown" but a lot of aes sedai when they were kids developed something kind of like it. Or Mirror of Mists which I think is a blue ajah secret (or at least something very much like it is).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    While we’re waiting for season 3, what was your Padan Fain theory that turned out to be completely wrong?

Mine:
    I thought Rand would successfully kill the Dark One—and Padan Fain would take its place as the seed for the next Dark One.

That would be what separated it from the rest of the Pattern—the Dragon always repeats but the Dark One is new every time.

I was mad to be wrong—and disappointed that Fain ultimately didn’t matter—but I think “the Dark One is the engine of free will and must exist” is way more interesting.

• Options
    Fain:

I was kinda annoyed that he just
    disappears for the last third of the story.

He's super active early on, does some stuff in the background in the middle third, then nothing until showing up in the last battle to wrap up his story.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    since we're book readers, not sure we need to spoil book stuff do we?
    to be safe
    i really thought fain was going to raise up a different dark army that would ultimately end up in a 3 way showdown, defying the ying/yang thing that was always present. Kind of sad that it didn't go anywhere.

• Options
    I feel like there was a plan for him, and it didn't pan out as hoped, and just kind of petered out.

• Options
    I feel like there was a plan for him, and it didn't pan out as hoped, and just kind of petered out.
    It sounds like RJ didn't really leave much by way of notes for what Fain would do in the end. Basically the most important things, taking the trollocs to TR in book 1, stealing the Horn, taking the Whitecloaks to TR in book 4, and then wounding Rand on the old wound, which was a big part of the inspiration for how the cleansing would work, he'd already done.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I do actually think the pacing of the show is still a problem. It may that they are trying to finish everything in only a few seasons but while i love to joke about braid tugging and skirt smoothing, there's actually something to be said about characters emoting. The movie hardly has time to let the actors "feel" things other than big dramatic moments.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    I caught up on the last few episodes over the weekend.

The season was good! Better than the first, which I enjoyed overall. They've pretty much entirely righted the "okay WTF are we doing?" stuff from season one, and as such I'm glad I didn't leap to judgement on that stuff.

Namely, they got our boy Mat to the right place finally. It took the entire season, and they tricked me a few times, but yeah they finally stopped having his entire life be horrible and bad. He blew the horn, got his memories back, speaks in the old tongue, and seems like an overall pretty fun guy to be around now. Hooray! I was pretty bummed when Ishamael's trip down memory lane tea wound up just being a really really bad Ayahuasca trip and not a sub for Mat experiencing his memories with the portal stones, but they fixed him up in the end and I'm satisfied.

It was a lot of fun overall. You definitely have to be willing to set aside any hopes for a 1:1 recreation and let it breathe a little bit, but I'm pretty much no reservations very excited for season 3 now.

When I watched season 1, I hadn't read any of the books. It's one of the big reasons I started, aand I'm currently about 2/3 through the 8th book. So it was definitely a different experience than season 1, but overall I think they did a great job.

I was a bit "oh god no" when they had Ishamael show up with the Seanchan in their intro scene, but they did a good job of expanding on that and making it clear that while they're total assholes, they're not all specifically darkfriends, which is good.

Aand it was fairly obvious in season 1, but season 2 did confirm we're not going to get a ton of crazy ultra high fantasy Rand moments, which hey I get. His fights with Ishamael are obviously a lot cooler in the books, but doing them in live action would almost certainly wind up being weird. And beyond that, they clearly want to lean more into the ensemble cast power of friendship stuff for the big moments. There's enough really cool stuff in there that I'm alright with it, and I'm excited to see more Forsaken in the next season.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, they're kind of slow burning Rand's power growth for now, but this is the point in the books where it stops doing the thing where everybody starts in the same place, splits up early in the book, then ends up in the same place at the end. Now is the part of the series where the Emond's Field 5 start being split into 2 - 4 separate parties pretty much constantly. So they've had their Stronger Together moment, but have to solve problems on their own for a long time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    if they were adhering to the books that's true but they can easily have everyone end up with the Shaido if they want. I think there are big moments in books 4-8 where almost everyone is in specific locations or at least close enough that it doesn't matter if they alter things at this point. If they get the opportunity to lengthen the seasons i would actually appreciate a bit more time with each of the 5 then a couple of minutes each episode. i'm going to be sad if they cut asmodean

• Options
    NYCC was last weekend and Rafe hinted that season 3 would be Moghedien plus "one other forsaken". Between that and one of the statues in season 1 being shown with an instrument Asmo is fairly likely.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh dang, today would have been RJs 75 birthday.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NYCC was last weekend and Rafe hinted that season 3 would be Moghedien plus "one other forsaken". Between that and one of the statues in season 1 being shown with an instrument Asmo is fairly likely.

Yeah given how much fun they had with the Forsaken in season 2, it seems likely that we get him. They did a great job with Ishamael and Lanfear, and Moghedien's reveal looked great too. Having one hanging around Rand being dry and strumming at a lute occasionally seems like it would fit the show really well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    the setup from the end of season 2 also adds some more sense why lanfear would try to force asmodean to help rand. the forsaken working against each other in the books didn't always make a lot of sense.

• Options
    I'm only on the 8th book, so I guess I can't fully confirm/deny, but up until now it's been explained pretty thoroughly why they scheme against each other in the books.

They're aiming to be Nae'blis -- first among the Chosen and second only to the Dark One. Only one gets to do that, they're all evil and power hungry, so yeah of course they scheme against each other constantly. They have tentative alliances, some of them view themselves as weaker in power than some of the stronger chosen, but are constantly looking for a leg up to become Nae'blis or at least in good favor with whoever they think will become Nae'blis.

steam_sig.png