As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy the 14th: End of the World Starts Now!

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    8w6pj6bmaduo.png

our whole static waiting for plots to proc. i'm the bunny on top of the sign.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Anyone seen some funny/disturbing plates while playing? I've seen a few on the FF14 subreddit that were entertaining.

A few in CC

sexy: Multiple "step on me" tall women. Some muscle men in pink revealing outfits. Cat girls with those low cut tunics leaning forward.

Funny: one clown kicking towards the camera, multiple lalafel super close to the camera "the ooph I opened the front facing camera look", one who hid her whole face behind the role logo.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    moment of truuuuuth

fuck we lost

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    uh oh
    SE has done a little fucky wucky
    qqvi3lne4ybo.png
    it seems this auction system was not without kinks

boy people are gonna be PISSED about this

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    wait so does that mean no one won? Or its just not displaying the results properly?

• Options
    I think it means no one won but I'm not sure
    there are possibly related or possibly unrelated bugs where people aren't able to see a result at all and aren't getting their money back also

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    apparently that screenshot is from a plot that someone bid on with 4 alts in the same FC, also, and it's only showing 1 bid

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I would just laugh and laugh and laugh if they set up the lottery system to just pick a random number to determine the winner, and forgot to omit zero

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I would just laugh and laugh and laugh if they set up the lottery system to just pick a random number to determine the winner, and forgot to omit zero

it fits the facts but the scale at which it's happening is implausible. you can't roll 0 that many times statistically..

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Evermourn wrote: »
    Living on stomach acid atm - was the only bidder on my dream large in Shirogane, and now someone has turned up who says they are the bidder - we've each checked everything and we both are rock solid it's telling us we're the only bidder. So we're just hanging out and having a chat. So frustrating. Half an hour to go and we'll see what happens. Have each put in a bug report to be safe.

Well I got the house (woooooo!!!) but the whole ward is popping off - there appears to be a bug and lots of people who were the only bidders haven't gotten the property. Such a shame, now they will have to jump through hoops to get that sorted out. My FC leader got the same issue for the FC house, he's pretty salty.

• Options
    FFXIV Housing: Savage

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    The Epic of RE/MAX (Ultimate)

• Options
    "lots" is an understatement - it's 90% of plots across the whole game

the suspicion is that the maintenance on Wednesday wiped the bids for anyone who had bid before it.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    I bid before the hotfix maintenance and lost seemingly normally to someone who bid last night, FWIW

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, it was a nice theory but isn't stacking up. I have a couple friends who bid before maintenance and did win.

• Options
    I wonder if they are considering a rollback, or just a fuck it, that's life response

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

they are considering them bugs and seeing what they can do I guess

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular

If a winner actually wasn't chosen there's nothing they can anyways (fairly) since people have already gotten their refunds.
    They'll just announce that it's been fixed for the next round.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Didn't get the house, no surprise there. EDIT: mine didn't say what the winning number was, just what mine was.

But did learn that every single ward now has the FC restriction for wards 1-18, and every single plot everywhere is lottery.

These are not things they told us about, and it's fucking shitty to not only not have access to 3/4 of the Ishgard plots, but to retroactively lose access to 3/4 of the plots in the entire game. I guess others made the connection earlier, but I only noticed after browsing around and seeing what plots opened up and finding out it doesn't matter, almost none opened up in other towns in the 19-24 wards, and even if they are, you can't bid/buy them anyway.

So god damned stupid. What a fucking idiotic decision to set the system up like this. Like, easily the worst way they could have possibly gone about this. FFA would have been better, honestly, without district restrictions. Now it'll just be dragged out over who knows how many "cycles" with FC small plots sitting empty, and no one with a chance to get any private plots anywhere. Oh, one large plot opened up in 19-24 in Shirogane? Yeah, I'll have a hundred or two bids when they open that up, all those smalls and maybe mediums in the 1-19's? Maybe the mediums will get bids I guess, and a lot of players that could have a small house, if nothing else, nada.

It was frustrating enough to have the last minute announcement of the ward divisions. Now to know that their stupid lottery bullshit is universal is infuriating. It wouldn't have taken the slightest bit of foresight to think that, oh, there's going to be an awful lot of people angry at the exact same time with this lottery system, maybe we shouldn't exacerbate that by giving them no options or recourse to do literally anything else for the next 4 days, and have them also know that what small chance they had to get a house to begin with, just got astronomically worse. Like, you want to piss people off and give them a reason to not want to play? Good job!

Also, just a bit of off hand response to something up the page; the idea the FC's should have more right/access to medium/large plots: no. Fuck. That. Bullshit. FC's aren't special, they can use the same houses as anyone else. If I've got the money for a larger house, and I use a larger house, there is no reason whatsoever, that is fair, that would indicate that I don't have equal right to at least a chance at the same. I will "enjoy" seeing how many of the FC wards sit, like so many do already before Ishgard, where you have all these houses owned by FC's with bare yards, maybe a striking dummy or two, and that's it. Now guaranteed in 3/4 of all wards in every server!

Pure idiocy.

EDIT: and I'm not just randomly throwing out shit. My kids occasionally like to have me explore housing wards and look at the houses, and without fail, if a house and yard is well decorated it is 9 out of 10 times a private owner. FC houses are way more likely to either sit empty (if they didn't lock the doors) or have bare yards and maybe I guess the inside of their house could have decoration, but the outside doesn't indicate that. Maybe they use the voyages or buffs, maybe some members use the housing inside, I dunno, but they're not using the actual houses themselves, and too frequently they're medium/large houses, when if that's all they were doing with them, they could have just used a small plot anyway.

It's just dumb that there's not only the fairly unnecessary limit on how many houses there are, but then on top of it having the absolutely needless restriction on the amount of what size houses there are creating a completely unnecessary limitation on access. The obvious and easiest solution would have been to have all plots have all size houses open to them, and instead of putting the major cost on the plot, put it on the house itself. The limitation of house size becomes a matter of money and not completely arbitrary number limits.

If they had done FFA, if you didn't get a house you wanted, you could look around, consider other options, maybe compromise with yourself. Yeah, you didn't get the specific plot you wanted, but that one over there is ok. Yes, the rush, the competition would have sucked, but more than waiting a week, only being allowed to attempt to buy one plot, anywhere, with no way to take a second option? The lottery didn't make it more fair, it made it more random (they are not, in fact, the same thing), and the timers makes it more frustrating. Literally any other system would have been better. Pure FFA, better. Have wards open one per day, better. Hell, have one day be a private ward, the next FC, if they insist on having that bullshit distinction. Heck, they could have even had each subdivision open halfway through the day or something so depending on your playtime you could probably make it work to give it a shot. I don't know! Or have no FC wards and have every ward have 1/3 of the plots (at random) be lottery. That'd have been better. Or just make the FC wards lottery (but make way fewer of them), and let the privates be normal purchasing, so individual players aren't competing in clicks with large FC's on a single plot.

Anything.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    TTODewback wrote: »

If a winner actually wasn't chosen there's nothing they can anyways (fairly) since people have already gotten their refunds.

unless they do a rollback, but yeah

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

unless they do a rollback, but yeah

I'm torn on this, since people who won will be rightly upset, but a narrowed pool is unfair for anyone affected by issues.

That said, since we know the bid count itself was screwy, it's hard to say exactly what the actual scope of issue here is - it's possible that everyone getting a 0 result did actually lose to someone else. But clearly something went very wrong with this.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Didn't get the house, no surprise there.

But did learn that every single ward now has the FC restriction for wards 1-18, and every single plot everywhere is lottery.

These are not things they told us about, and it's fucking shitty to not only not have access to 3/4 of the Ishgard plots, but to retroactively lose access to 3/4 of the plots in the entire game. I guess others made the connection earlier, but I only noticed after browsing around and seeing what plots opened up and finding out it doesn't matter, almost none opened up in other towns in the 19-24 wards, and even if they are, you can't bid/buy them anyway.

So god damned stupid. What a fucking idiotic decision to set the system up like this. Like, easily the worst way they could have possibly gone about this. FFA would have been better, honestly, without district restrictions. Now it'll just be dragged out over who knows how many "cycles" with FC small plots sitting empty, and no one with a chance to get any private plots anywhere. Oh, one large plot opened up in 19-24 in Shirogane? Yeah, I'll have a hundred or two bids when they open that up, all those smalls and maybe mediums in the 1-19's? Maybe the mediums will get bids I guess, and a lot of players that could have a small house, if nothing else, nada.

It was frustrating enough to have the last minute announcement of the ward divisions. Now to know that their stupid lottery bullshit is universal is infuriating. It wouldn't have taken the slightest bit of foresight to think that, oh, there's going to be an awful lot of people angry at the exact same time with this lottery system, maybe we shouldn't exacerbate that by giving them no options or recourse to do literally anything else for the next 4 days, and have them also know that what small chance they had to get a house to begin with, just got astronomically worse. Like, you want to piss people off and give them a reason to not want to play? Good job!

Also, just a bit of off hand response to something up the page; the idea the FC's should have more right/access to medium/large plots: no. Fuck. That. Bullshit. FC's aren't special, they can use the same houses as anyone else. If I've got the money for a larger house, and I use a larger house, there is no reason whatsoever, that is fair, that would indicate that I don't have equal right to at least a chance at the same. I will "enjoy" seeing how many of the FC wards sit, like so many do already before Ishgard, where you have all these houses owned by FC's with bare yards, maybe a striking dummy or two, and that's it. Now guaranteed in 3/4 of all wards in every server!

Pure idiocy.

I'm certain that they want players to reach the conclusion of 'if my FC has I house, I don't need one of my own', solving the issue of demand without them actually having to do anything, which I'm sure is their preference.

As for what to do now that the bug has happened...idk. I'd be very surprised if they built the system with potential rollbacks in mind, and how exactly that would be handled is another matter. You obviously cant rollback everything, because there were some winners. Do you roll back do the point where all of the bidders were submitted and pick winners? Is the next lottery period shorter as a result? What about the results period?

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    There's apparently another bug with the system as well, where the game mixes up wards and plots. For example, if you bid on Plot 1 in Ward 2, the game might actually think you bid on Plot 2 in Ward 1.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    I think that one is just a display bug and it's tracking the plot you bid on correctly, it's swapping the ward and plot number in some dialogues

.... probably

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    wy551ov9swt81.png

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Echo wrote: »
    There, got Bard to 90, so that's one of every role at 90.

I just got reaper to 90 yesterday to complete my 5 roles ^_^ time to do the role quests!

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I did the alliance raid

we wiped once on the last boss

I died like four times on the third boss

just gonna sharpie those eyebrows back on

upgraded my ring to 600 and got the healing pants for some gear upgrades

don't intend to do extremes or savages so one alliance raid run a week isn't too bad

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    I very specifically didn't withdraw my bid refund yet, just in case. But if they want to do it (unfairly) there are ways that they could. I mean, imagine cases where only one player or players from only one FC were the only ones bidding on a property. They should have been guaranteed it once the deadline passed and nobody else challenged them. But if they go with the plan of just calling it a draw and doing it over again on the next round with properly working dice, then those players have to then also compete with a bunch of other players who lost out on the first round and are now coming over to compete with them.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    They could do the time intensive thing, go through every dice roll and check if it went through OK. If giving the plot to the actual winner is a victimless crime (ie: the plot wasn't awarded to anyone) then it should be manually sold for whatever the player bid on it.

There's going to be cases where someone won a house unfairly (but unwittingly) and that's when Square has to come up with a new fair solution. All I can think of: offering one of the players a huge reward to give up their claim on the plot. I'm talking free game time and a place in a special queue to be awarded the next free plot that's going to appear. Again: manually created as it's just this one mess.

If any part of this could be automated, it'd probably cost them more in resources to implement it than it'd cost them in working hours to manually sort this out.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    It will greatly depend on exactly what went wrong.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    also the longer they go without doing a rollback the less likely a rollback is, so I think they're probably not gonna do a rollback at this point.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Lord Lolorito just walks out, holding a bunch of tickets with the number 0 on it.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I decided to try out the quest line for a relic weapon. A quest then a "high-level" but fairly simple weapon craft, easy enough. A few more quests, easy trials, and a dugeon run, no problem. Grabbing a single item for a trivial cost of tomestones, laughable. Getting all twelve atmas? A bit grindy, but honestly not that bad. I don't see what everyone is complaining abou...oh shit.

• Options
    every relic weapon is grindy but I think the heavensward ones were the least grindy, maybe... maybe shadowbringers. Not sure.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    every relic weapon is grindy but I think the heavensward ones were the least grindy, maybe... maybe shadowbringers. Not sure.

Personally I think HW as it didn't require the relic specific zone. Even when it initially dropped it wasn't bad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    @The Dude With Herpes

I understand your position, but it's important to note that multiple massive gameplay mechanics for FCs are tied to housing - workshops and airships are critical to a server economy functioning properly as many important materials don't come from anywhere else.

On top of that, at the end of the day, an FC house is a house for many (shell fc abuse not withstanding) while an individual house is a house for one.

Objectively, it's a greater harm for an fc who wants one to not have one than for an individual because more players are harmed by it.

An individual who wants a house but can't find one is locked out of a mostly cosmetic experience. An FC who wants a house but can't find one is locked out of a massive social part of being in an FC as well as multiple significant gameplay mechanics that are tied to being an FC.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    and from everything I'm hearing, the FC demand isn't nearly high enough for 3/4ths of the plots.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »
    and from everything I'm hearing, the FC demand isn't nearly high enough for 3/4ths of the plots.

It seems so, although those who lose out on the mediums and larges will inevitably trickle to smalls over the next lottery period or so, as their backup plan.

My personal feeling is that apartments should be the personal housing and be expanded as a feature, while open world wards should all be FC only.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I absolutely disagree. I feel like apartments should be expanded but housing should NOT be FC only that would be the literal worst decision possible.

"Yes players who dont want to be in a free company (Of which they may have zero say in the decoration or farming shouldn't be able to engage with the system at all. " Because even expanding apartments is still going to be a far cry away from actually owning a plot.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    I figure they are trying to let FCs get first dibs for a few months, then open the wards up to personal lots, with the idea being an FC house is content for a larger number of people than a personal house so they're trying to stretch the limited housing resources to be content to the highest number of players (yes it's dumb that it's limited in the first place but they obviously would have fixed that legacy bad code problem if they could). Like high density zoning, but virtual.

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.