As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Universal Set

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2021 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Universal Set

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Ah yes the two game categories: Battle Royale FPS, and Other

• RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    I thought Tycho was joking, but that is a word for word reading of the category descriptor, https://thegameawards.com/nominees/best-sim-strategy

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Jerry posted a tweet yesterday, and at the time I wasn't really sure what he was talking about. This comic adds a bit more context.

For reference, here's Jerry's tweet from yesterday:

• TACAMOTACAMO Registered User regular
    Yeah but Penny Arcade *used* to do annual game awards. Like, for 5 years in a row, then they stopped. It was a whole run of comics every year around Christmas, iirc.

• BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular
    Genre is a vague concept to start with, so lets entangle it further. Especially since "best" is the most subjective word in the human vocabulary.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    TACAMO wrote: »
    Yeah but Penny Arcade *used* to do annual game awards. Like, for 5 years in a row, then they stopped. It was a whole run of comics every year around Christmas, iirc.

Well, they weren't really "awards" in the traditional sense. At least, the normal traditional sense, not the horseshit they talk about in this comic. They were the We're Right Awards, of course.

Because irony is not only dead but has been atomized, their mock awards parody have become more meaningful than this "real" award.

The difference between a professional game review site and annual game awards being as fine as it is, it seems like a low-hanging fruit to compile the year's takes.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I thought Tycho was joking, but that is a word for word reading of the category descriptor, https://thegameawards.com/nominees/best-sim-strategy

What

that's

wow.

• BremenBremen Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

Well, they weren't really "awards" in the traditional sense. At least, the normal traditional sense, not the horseshit they talk about in this comic. They were the We're Right Awards, of course.

Because irony is not only dead but has been atomized, their mock awards parody have become more meaningful than this "real" award.

"Best use of smoky shadow guys who try to steal your princess, who might be blind or something we're not really sure." Still a better award category.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Bremen wrote: »

"Best use of smoky shadow guys who try to steal your princess, who might be blind or something we're not really sure." Still a better award category.

The gold standard of category will always be "Best Hummingbird-Based Shooter for the 32X"

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    Has anyone here played inscryption? I have no idea what to expect from it

• GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Lttlefoot wrote: »
    Has anyone here played inscryption? I have no idea what to expect from it

It's a run-based deckbuilder with a spooky atmosphere and a persistent escape room outside of it. It's a Daniel Mullins game so there's also a metagame layer to it, and after you beat the escape room and the deckbuilder there's an extended epilogue that fleshes out the metagame and iterates on the same game mechanics, but not in a run-based structure.

• DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    "Best interactive experience in which you press buttons to reach the end of the match, story or adventure."

Djiem on

The gold standard of category will always be "Best Hummingbird-Based Shooter for the 32X"

Oh my sweet Jesus. I saw the comic when it came out but I didn't know anything about the game. I never bothered to look it up, either, which is why for the past 20 years I've thought "Hummingbird" was some sort of bespoke software engine.

• doompookydoompooky Wild (Let's Draw A) Horses Couldn't Drag Me AwayRegistered User regular

Buck Bumble is Dark Souls of Kolibris, and I won't accept any substitute

we7ek91hy97o.png
  • ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular

It seems a shame there wasn't a 2011 edition for Portal 2 to sweep the awards all over again.

So here goes nothing:
    7mhjw057d1da.jpg

Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    doompooky wrote: »

Buck Bumble is Dark Souls of Kolibris, and I won't accept any substitute

Buck Bumble was N64 though. If we're opening things up to other animals and consoles, I think Mister Mosquito for the PS2 probably wins for being so very weird.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    This really feels more like a "games that are popular on PC and not console, since the rest of the show is extremely console centric" category.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "Best World War II Game, Goddamnit Now Can We Please Have Another Genre?"

Ah, 2003. Such an innocent time.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm trying to come up with some 2021 categories:
    Best Console You Probably Can't Get Even If You Really Want To: (Which one wins this may cause some debate)
    Highest Number Of Halos: Halo Infinite.
    Best Game That Isn't Like That Other Game They Published, We Swear: Guardians of the Galaxy.
    Best Story Where You Completed It And Still Don't Know What The Hell's Going On: Returnal.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Best Game By A Studio Lead By Molesters And Abusers: idk, they might have to make a few subcategories to hand out multiple awards.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Best Metroid That Has Some Really Annoying Un-Metroid Mechanics But That's Still Really Good: Metroid Dread

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Most Genres Mashed Together

steam_sig.png