Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Moisture Within

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited December 2021 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Moisture Within

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

Posts

  • Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    We thank you for the gift of your body's water.

  • Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Almost read that as "Fix your water" and I could practically hear the pornsax.

    Also, I'm guessing this is a Mio marketing thing? Mio's alright. Their coffee mixes helped me get through my call center days.

    OctoberRaven on
    Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    Ocker3Ocker3 Registered User regular
    Shades of Tank Girl here!

  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I feel like the Capri-Sun straw design would be more effective here

    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    I feel like the Capri-Sun straw design would be more effective here

    I don't know. I've had problems getting juice box straws to puncture a juice box. Wouldn't want to try that on a sternum.

  • Options
    BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular
    I love the decision to have the tube break panel

  • Options
    Radiated RoninRadiated Ronin Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Not sure which is more disturbing: the pink robe or the fact that Tycho lives in Gabe's house, waiting to pounce on water salesmen, Ecostraw in hand.

    Leaning towards the robe, though.

    Radiated Ronin on
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Not sure which is more disturbing: the pink robe or the fact that Tycho lives in Gabe's house, waiting to pounce on water salesmen, Ecostraw in hand.

    Leaning towards the robe, though.

    Then you probably weren't a huge fan of
    i-BVZQCFq-X3.jpg

  • Options
    BioYuGiBioYuGi Registered User new member
    As I look over at my seven or eight different Mio bottles I keep in my desk for when I want something a bit different than plain water, I fear for my life.

  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Throwback version:

    k4nlj9ni5w3c.png

    dennis on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Its not even selling water its selling mio which is like grown up kool aid.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Its not even selling water its selling mio which is like grown up kool aid.

    Unfortunately, sweetened with acesulfame potassium and sucralose. The former is building up in our water supply (and we're sure how worried we should be yet, since it hasn't been studied enough) and the latter may make you hungrier.

    (I don't mention the stevia in it because so far there doesn't seem to be a lot of research pointing towards it working in the same way.)

    I was kind of shocked to find sucralose in the pre-mixed things of kool aid at the store "these days" (we're talking like 15+ years now). They used to be just packet mix + sugar. I wonder how many kids get a regular drip of sucralose kool aid. I know one of my parent friends kept a big water bottle of kool aid for her kid just like you would water.

    That's all to say I can totally sympathize Tycho being driven to madness with the "We Fix Water" campaign.

  • Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Look I'm not saying they're good for you I'm saying when you work for 10.60 an hour to get yelled at by people who can't understand that a paper bill can't magically update it's numbers after it's been sent in the mail, you just really need an iced coffee-like liquid and lots of it, and Mio was the most convenient way to obtain such.

    Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    InTheTrenchesInTheTrenches Registered User regular
    Well, moderation has never been a thing to some people. Most problems in life could be solved with moderate use of different things. And most of the problems of acesulfame potasium and sucralose come from overly using products that have them.

    Strangest thing here is, that people want someone to tell them what to do and/or think. ("Strong leader?"). Yet they want to keep their individual rights. A small paradox should I say.

    But outsourcing responsibility might be the answer...

  • Options
    TACAMOTACAMO Registered User regular
    The news post got to me. I've been saying for *years* that Twitch/YouTube/(I think there was a Microsoft one?) etc was just the Home Shopping Network with a sickly veneer of what corps think is "gamer culture".

  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Well, moderation has never been a thing to some people. Most problems in life could be solved with moderate use of different things. And most of the problems of acesulfame potasium and sucralose come from overly using products that have them.

    They're specifically pitching this product as the thing you should flavor all your water with. They're directly promoting overuse.

  • Options
    hibryd7hibryd7 Registered User regular
    I feel like the straw could have been more needle-like.

  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    I really thought the eyes in the second panel were the fruit fucker, which would have made a lot of sense for hydration. A little disappointed it wasn't, honestly!

  • Options
    InTheTrenchesInTheTrenches Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    Well, moderation has never been a thing to some people. Most problems in life could be solved with moderate use of different things. And most of the problems of acesulfame potasium and sucralose come from overly using products that have them.

    They're specifically pitching this product as the thing you should flavor all your water with. They're directly promoting overuse.


    I won't deny what they promote. It's just that USA is a country where pizza count's as an vegetable in public school cafeterias. And the advertising firm's don't really have too much responcibility over how they advertice. As long as it's not clearly lying. So at this point, firm's can do that kind of thing and still deny it if pushed, saying it's buyers desicion, responsibility and right to do as they please.

    And if we would start to look for other example like that, even outside food industry, there probably would be many more. So it just seem's a little pointless to take one firm for closer look, when the greater problem still "lives and breaths".

  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    Well, moderation has never been a thing to some people. Most problems in life could be solved with moderate use of different things. And most of the problems of acesulfame potasium and sucralose come from overly using products that have them.

    They're specifically pitching this product as the thing you should flavor all your water with. They're directly promoting overuse.


    I won't deny what they promote. It's just that USA is a country where pizza count's as an vegetable in public school cafeterias. And the advertising firm's don't really have too much responcibility over how they advertice. As long as it's not clearly lying. So at this point, firm's can do that kind of thing and still deny it if pushed, saying it's buyers desicion, responsibility and right to do as they please.

    This is the textbook definition of the difference between ethics and law. We all understand that they're are no good laws to prevent things like this, or they would already be charged (or would have never done it in the first place). People are reacting as they did because the company is behaving in an unethical manner.

    It's not that we don't understand and you have to explain to us that they've thrown away ethics in favor of greed.

  • Options
    Armored ChocoboArmored Chocobo Registered User regular
    He's speaking like he has accomplished this task at least once, which is enough to worry me.

  • Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    I opened it in portrait mode on my phone and only saw the first two panels... honestly kinda works better with just the two?

  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    At first I thought it was Fruit Fucker.

  • Options
    InTheTrenchesInTheTrenches Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    dennis wrote: »
    Well, moderation has never been a thing to some people. Most problems in life could be solved with moderate use of different things. And most of the problems of acesulfame potasium and sucralose come from overly using products that have them.

    They're specifically pitching this product as the thing you should flavor all your water with. They're directly promoting overuse.


    I won't deny what they promote. It's just that USA is a country where pizza count's as an vegetable in public school cafeterias. And the advertising firm's don't really have too much responcibility over how they advertice. As long as it's not clearly lying. So at this point, firm's can do that kind of thing and still deny it if pushed, saying it's buyers desicion, responsibility and right to do as they please.

    This is the textbook definition of the difference between ethics and law. We all understand that they're are no good laws to prevent things like this, or they would already be charged (or would have never done it in the first place). People are reacting as they did because the company is behaving in an unethical manner.

    It's not that we don't understand and you have to explain to us that they've thrown away ethics in favor of greed.


    I don't see why the reason for greed it relevant here, because some people just are in for the money. And that's where the law's come in. Just take any person with the antisocial personality disorder, or ASPD/APD, and you might have your answer. Then there is ignorance, not thinking things through and competition. Ignorance and not thinking can be caused by "just doing my work". Also, they might think that people are smart enough to not use their product that much. Competition can result in same situation if your "whole" assets are in tied to the firm. And if you want to go deeper into why people choose greed, just check the "Topacco Master Settlement Agreement", and "US sugar lobby". But, the whole problem still goes to "free" market economy. If one want's to keep this kind of stuff out of their life's, there need's to be regulation. So basically, greed and/or not caring about other can be pure human nature for some individuals.

  • Options
    InTheTrenchesInTheTrenches Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    dennis wrote: »
    Well, moderation has never been a thing to some people. Most problems in life could be solved with moderate use of different things. And most of the problems of acesulfame potasium and sucralose come from overly using products that have them.

    They're specifically pitching this product as the thing you should flavor all your water with. They're directly promoting overuse.


    I won't deny what they promote. It's just that USA is a country where pizza count's as an vegetable in public school cafeterias. And the advertising firm's don't really have too much responcibility over how they advertice. As long as it's not clearly lying. So at this point, firm's can do that kind of thing and still deny it if pushed, saying it's buyers desicion, responsibility and right to do as they please.

    This is the textbook definition of the difference between ethics and law. We all understand that they're are no good laws to prevent things like this, or they would already be charged (or would have never done it in the first place). People are reacting as they did because the company is behaving in an unethical manner.

    It's not that we don't understand and you have to explain to us that they've thrown away ethics in favor of greed.


    I don't see why the reason for greed it relevant here, because some people just are in for the money. And that's where the law's come in. Just take any person with the antisocial personality disorder, or ASPD/APD, and you might have your answer. Then there is ignorance, not thinking things through and competition. Ignorance and not thinking can be caused by "just doing my work". Also, they might think that people are smart enough to not use their product that much. Competition can result in same situation if your "whole" assets are in tied to the firm. And if you want to go deeper into why people choose greed, just check the "Topacco Master Settlement Agreement", and "US sugar lobby". But, the whole problem still goes to "free" market economy. If one want's to keep this kind of stuff out of their life's, there need's to be regulation. So basically, greed and/or not caring about other can be pure human nature for some individuals.


    Forgot one thing...

    If some kind of behavior is an industry standard, what would you do in that kind of situation? Even more so, if other companies are doing great and your company is struggling? So in these cases, is ethics = industry standard?

  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    dennis wrote: »
    Well, moderation has never been a thing to some people. Most problems in life could be solved with moderate use of different things. And most of the problems of acesulfame potasium and sucralose come from overly using products that have them.

    They're specifically pitching this product as the thing you should flavor all your water with. They're directly promoting overuse.


    I won't deny what they promote. It's just that USA is a country where pizza count's as an vegetable in public school cafeterias. And the advertising firm's don't really have too much responcibility over how they advertice. As long as it's not clearly lying. So at this point, firm's can do that kind of thing and still deny it if pushed, saying it's buyers desicion, responsibility and right to do as they please.

    This is the textbook definition of the difference between ethics and law. We all understand that they're are no good laws to prevent things like this, or they would already be charged (or would have never done it in the first place). People are reacting as they did because the company is behaving in an unethical manner.

    It's not that we don't understand and you have to explain to us that they've thrown away ethics in favor of greed.


    I don't see why the reason for greed it relevant here, because some people just are in for the money. And that's where the law's come in. Just take any person with the antisocial personality disorder, or ASPD/APD, and you might have your answer. Then there is ignorance, not thinking things through and competition. Ignorance and not thinking can be caused by "just doing my work". Also, they might think that people are smart enough to not use their product that much. Competition can result in same situation if your "whole" assets are in tied to the firm. And if you want to go deeper into why people choose greed, just check the "Topacco Master Settlement Agreement", and "US sugar lobby". But, the whole problem still goes to "free" market economy. If one want's to keep this kind of stuff out of their life's, there need's to be regulation. So basically, greed and/or not caring about other can be pure human nature for some individuals.


    Forgot one thing...

    If some kind of behavior is an industry standard, what would you do in that kind of situation? Even more so, if other companies are doing great and your company is struggling? So in these cases, is ethics = industry standard?

    I think we should put maximum force/pressure on companies not just to act legally but to act ethically. Failing to do that is what has gotten us into the shitty situation we're in today (environmentally, socially and politically). This is becoming an actual existential issue.

    Everything else (and please, please pay attention to the spell checking underlines in your post, and if they are not there figure out how to turn them on) is not something I'm interested in discussing with you.

  • Options
    InTheTrenchesInTheTrenches Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    dennis wrote: »
    dennis wrote: »
    Well, moderation has never been a thing to some people. Most problems in life could be solved with moderate use of different things. And most of the problems of acesulfame potasium and sucralose come from overly using products that have them.

    They're specifically pitching this product as the thing you should flavor all your water with. They're directly promoting overuse.


    I won't deny what they promote. It's just that USA is a country where pizza count's as an vegetable in public school cafeterias. And the advertising firm's don't really have too much responcibility over how they advertice. As long as it's not clearly lying. So at this point, firm's can do that kind of thing and still deny it if pushed, saying it's buyers desicion, responsibility and right to do as they please.

    This is the textbook definition of the difference between ethics and law. We all understand that they're are no good laws to prevent things like this, or they would already be charged (or would have never done it in the first place). People are reacting as they did because the company is behaving in an unethical manner.

    It's not that we don't understand and you have to explain to us that they've thrown away ethics in favor of greed.


    I don't see why the reason for greed it relevant here, because some people just are in for the money. And that's where the law's come in. Just take any person with the antisocial personality disorder, or ASPD/APD, and you might have your answer. Then there is ignorance, not thinking things through and competition. Ignorance and not thinking can be caused by "just doing my work". Also, they might think that people are smart enough to not use their product that much. Competition can result in same situation if your "whole" assets are in tied to the firm. And if you want to go deeper into why people choose greed, just check the "Topacco Master Settlement Agreement", and "US sugar lobby". But, the whole problem still goes to "free" market economy. If one want's to keep this kind of stuff out of their life's, there need's to be regulation. So basically, greed and/or not caring about other can be pure human nature for some individuals.


    Forgot one thing...

    If some kind of behavior is an industry standard, what would you do in that kind of situation? Even more so, if other companies are doing great and your company is struggling? So in these cases, is ethics = industry standard?

    I think we should put maximum force/pressure on companies not just to act legally but to act ethically. Failing to do that is what has gotten us into the shitty situation we're in today (environmentally, socially and politically). This is becoming an actual existential issue.

    Everything else (and please, please pay attention to the spell checking underlines in your post, and if they are not there figure out how to turn them on) is not something I'm interested in discussing with you.


    Sorry for those misspells. Usually I don't do those kind of mistakes. (At least not that much). And I think I tried to correct those. Don't know why those are still there...

    But the problem of maximum ethic pressure is, that some people really don't care about ethics. (Machiavellianism). That's why we have law's. Good example of not caring about ethics is mafia. Although commercial companies usually don't engage openly in criminal activities, (because of bad publicity), it still happens. And if we relate to the topic of machiavellianism that I mentioned earlier, that ethical pressure just won't work to those people. And as you have seen, social media is not the best place to make things right. Same goes to any internet application that you can but your opinion for other's to see.

    But I get the feeling that you don't wan't to go deeper into the discussion. Partially because of what you said in your previous post, and partially for the whole "tone" of your messages to me. So let me make few things clear. I'm not here to try and "win" and/or be correct. But sticking just to one part of the problem doesn't solve the whole problem. It might actually make it worse. And without seeing and addressing the whole problem, it can be easily be swept away and/or be quieted.

    In the end, if you want to end discussing this topic any further, I will concede. And I apologize if I caused any problems. Thank you.

  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    What I'm saying isn't that you're wrong, but you're just saying something we already know. What I'm saying is that the pressure to be ethical isn't a totally useless thing. We don't necessarily have to have laws for everything. And many times, things just can't be solved via a law. But social pressure through boycotts, shaming, etc. can and have gotten actual results. If people don't want to buy a companies products or work for that company, they are directly affected and will either change their behavior or stop making the kind of money they want to be making. That's why there is the pressure not just to be legal but also ethical.

Sign In or Register to comment.