As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Ubisoft

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited December 2021 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Ubisoft

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular
    Listen, if you can't accept this, then how are you going to accept Ubisoft's Roving Horde of Ravager-Lords? Companies can't survive in our modern world without a system in place to physically revoke the value present in the world. Don't be anti-profit.

• Options
    Dodo SandvichDodo Sandvich Registered User regular
    You know what their statement reminded me of? The one that was given when paid mods failed back whenever. Guess those haven't taken hold though.

• Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    I love that they're talking about Ubisoft like a person.

• Options
    DettonDetton Registered User new member
    Everything I've read or heard about the announcement made me think, "This is just still microtransactions with extra steps and more buzzwords."

Look, I don't even like the IDEA of NFTs, let alone their implementation so far, but isn't part of the PURPOSE of them being to confer some manner of ownership onto the buyer? Ubisoft takes this idea, removes the ownership part, and gives you something that's so tied up in Terms of Service and contract language that it's functionally meaningless. That they can rip away any time they want. The digital "receipt" that proves you own a thing, is ALSO in their hands.

I'd have felt better if they had just said "We'll be using blockchain tech to help manage our microtransactions going forward."

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I still don't understand how NFTs are even a thing. First a few people allowed themselves to be scammed. And somehow the scam has continued to exist and spread.

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    It's like those things, yet somehow worse than all of them. Combined.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    They looked at the previous iterations and said, "Sure, these are intrinsically anti-consumer, but my concern is that they're not also anti-environment."

dennis on
  • Options
    islingtonislington Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I keep hearing "it's not like horse armor at all"...

and I guess that kinda true, it seems like it's DRM for horse armor. I don't think that's improvement though...
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I still don't understand how NFTs are even a thing. First a few people allowed themselves to be scammed. And somehow the scam has continued to exist and spread.

This is exactly how scams like this work, once you are bought in the only way to avoid losing is to convince others to buy in as well. Its a pyramid scheme, you keep convincing others there is value in what you are selling, and getting them to do the same. Its a particularly screwy bit of human psychology that can be abused heavily, we never want to admit what we believe isn't true and we will fight hard to keep believing a lie. The human brain reacts in almost exactly the same way when others challenge deeply held beliefs as when we are under physical threat, scammers understand this, and understand how to feed that system and keep people bought in.

islington on
  • Options
    The Ninth GuardianThe Ninth Guardian Registered User regular
    I am compelled to point that out herpetology is the study of reptiles and amphibians and has nothing to do with the herpes virus.

• Options
    GrendusGrendus Registered User regular
    Ahh, I've finally found the brilliance of NFTs.

So the big advantage of blockchain technology is that it allows there to be an authoritative record without needing an authority to back it. Instead of having a final arbiter of "what really happened", what everyone (by simple majority) agrees happened is the official version. In essence, this is a decentralized banking system.

NFTs are decentralized pyramid schemes. In a normal pyramid scheme there is a central scammer who takes in the money and pays out dividends out of the new money he's bringing in. This means there's a central scammer who's left holding the bag if he doesn't know when to cut and run. With NFTs, the decentralized market takes in the money and pays out dividends to the scammer who pumps in a steady stream of completely worthless items. When the whole thing collapses, the scammer isn't left holding the bag because he was never taking in or giving out the cash, just siphoning it away from the fools soon parted with their money.

Plus it makes it easy to have plenty of gains or losses on paper, without needing a physical item to exchange hands - perfect for various forms of financial fraud like money laundering, tax evasion, etc. Just gotta get enough rubes into it that they provide a smokescreen - and as an added bonus, you can fleece them for pictures of a monkey smoking a cigar! Brilliant.

I fucking hate crypto.

• Options
    I am compelled to point that out herpetology is the study of reptiles and amphibians and has nothing to do with the herpes virus.

Well, except they both come from the same Greek word, which means "to creep". "Herpes" originally meant shingles but then morphed to any spreading (i.e. creeping) skin condition. And which gave "herpeton", the Greek word for reptiles which meant "creeping thing".

Thank you etymonline.com, and my suspicion whenever I see words that allegedly "don't have anything to do with each other."

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I think some people are just stupid enough to actually like being scammed. They must enjoy, somehow, being on the receiving end of the scam. It's the only thing I can think of.

It has an almost BDSM like quality to the psychology of it.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    So it's not because you get herpes from having sex with snakes?

That doctor lied to me!

So many wasted opportunities...

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

That doctor lied to me!

Man of all the things in the world I don't want to know, this is one of them.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

That doctor lied to me!

Man of all the things in the world I don't want to know, this is one of them.

Yeahhhhhh, those wasted opportunities sound depressing

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    PALaxxPALaxx Registered User regular
    What's interesting about NFTs is that this isn't even the primary use for which they were created, but it's the one the mass public has decided is its sole function. Kinda bizarre, but companies are more than willing to take money from fools whenever they can.

• Options
    PALaxx wrote: »
    What's interesting about NFTs is that this isn't even the primary use for which they were created, but it's the one the mass public has decided is its sole function. Kinda bizarre, but companies are more than willing to take money from fools whenever they can.

Pretty sure the "mass public" that's using blockchain is using it way more for cryptocurrency than for NFTs.