As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] Thread Closed. Please direct all complaints to the shiny new thread.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Dirty wrote: »
    Yep that was a Rollercoaster.

F2P chasing Fortnite kills all my excitement for a new JetSet game.

I'm probably one of the few people who actually got an original Xbox just for JSRF.

But I wouldn't touch this project if its actually F2P.

I am one of those people.

Honestly, this is one of those situations where I'd rather the franchise stay dead than to bring it back in a form that I couldn't be less interested in.

I guess there's still the possibility that Bomb Rush Cyberfunk, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

I was going to say, it doesn't hurt that one of our "regulars" literally has a JSRF avatar.

It'd be like me saying, "I owned Wreckless aka Double STEAL on the original Xbox," if people who remembered that game commonly realized it was basically a parody of You're Under Arrest set in Hong Kong.

The reference I may have missed, but Wreckless on Xbox specifically was at least a visual masterpiece.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IinkPsj5taA

The Shadowrun Trilogy is coming to consoles, featuring the three Shadowrun tactical RPGs by Harebrained Schemes (Shadowrun Returns, Shadowrun Dragonfall: Director's Cut and Shadowrun: Hong Kong) and will be launching as part of Game Pass on June 21st

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Can’t recommend that trilogy highly enough, I played it on Steam and I’ll be replaying it again when this comes out. It started a bit slow, but by the end it was something phenomenal.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I still need to go back and restart Dragonfall. It's been so long I don't remember anything except the neighborhood being pissy because I was being a PC in a RPG by helping people out.

I'll get this eventually. If only because I do miss playing Shadowrun PnP.

• Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Totally agree with Elki. The first one is clunky, I don't think it has some cover mechanics that they added later? But it's still very enjoyable. The story is also probably the weakest of the three; it's "slight," I guess, more bite-sized and without getting very deep into any of the characters. Actually, now I'm remembering some of it is random as fuck. I'd still absolutely recommend it, but definitely best to play it first. It'd be easy to miss the enhancements in the next two.

The second one is a lot of people's favorite. It leans toward more of a kind of fantasy epic, shit, it has dragon in the name. I prefer the third for the story and characters. I didn't like that in Dragonfall everyone was basically "an X with a heart of gold." I mean, I'm not looking for grimdark grittiness, but I prefer when characters' baseline motivations are more rational, when they have a heavier sense of self. I also thought the Tokyo setting was perfect for the cyberpunk aesthetic.

Super excited. I don't usually replay games, but I've never found anything that hits all the right sci-fi, tactical, isometric, humor points as well as the Harebrained trilogy, and this might give me an excuse to revisit them.

Justice on
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I wonder if you can import your character ?

Or are they separate stories ?

I played the first 2 when they came out, but can’t remember much.

• Options
    They're entirely separate games with unique mechanics and stories, so no

• Options
    edited April 2022
    I'll probably have a look and see how they look & play on a big telly thanks to Game Pass, but already having them all on Steam and with a Steam Deck eventually heading my way I'm not sure I'll double-dip. (Who am I kidding, I double-dip on loads of games...)

I'm still disappointed that the mobile versions of the first two got yanked, and although re-releases were promised, they never materialized.

But yeah, recommended. Awesome games.

Jazz on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I'll probably have a look and see how they look & play on a big telly thanks to Game Pass, but already having them all on Steam and with a Steam Deck eventually heading my way I'm not sure I'll double-dip. (Who am I kidding, I double-dip on loads of games...)

Barely related, but I could see myself doing the same thing with Cyberpunk 2077 if there's a another big sale on the PC (probably Steam, where I think it's already discounted), just because it does seem like the graphical asset modding community has taken off. But I've already gotten a good bit farther into the game on Xbox than I did with any of The Witcher series, so I don't feel like I made a mistake.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    WH40k Inquisitor, We Happy Few, and XCOM 2 gotted.

Seriously, $5 for the complete XCOM 2?

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Justice wrote: »
    The second one is a lot of people's favorite. It leans toward more of a kind of fantasy epic, shit, it has dragon in the name. I prefer the third for the story and characters. I didn't like that in Dragonfall everyone was basically "an X with a heart of gold." I mean, I'm not looking for grimdark grittiness, but I prefer when characters' baseline motivations are more rational, when they have a heavier sense of self. I also thought the Tokyo setting was perfect for the cyberpunk aesthetic.

Minor correction, it's the Kowloon Walled City, which is arguably an even cooler setting for the claustrophobia and mystique it inspired

(And also appears to be the same inspiration for Keiichi Toyama's Slitterhead currently in development)

• Options
    WH40k Inquisitor, We Happy Few, and XCOM 2 gotted.

Seriously, $5 for the complete XCOM 2?

It's a veritable barg, and no mistake.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »
    Going back to a couple weeks ago, we've talked about televisions with regards to Xbox Series X-owners which, at least for now, have an advantage over Series S and Playstation 5-owners in terms of pure functionality and what you can do out of the box; specifically, which televisions take full advantage of that.

I myself own a LG C1, which does. The LG CX does (or very nearly does) too, at least until LG cuts support the way they did for C9. The C1 gives you 120 hz support at 4K, HDR10 and Dolby Vision gaming, and VRR.

Apparently, don't buy a C2 (the replacement model for the C1). It has...issues. Starts around 25:33.
    https://youtu.be/9SZLIGTFqiQ?t=1524

If you don't want to watch the DF Guy's go into heartbreak over not being able to unconditionally recommend LG televisions (hopefully they weren't recommended the LG Nanocells after that one paid promotion, because those are inferior to Samsung and other LCD televisions at the same price)....the C2's current firmware disables certain features like black frame insertion for 120 hz modes, and also has a tendency to engage into very high latency (which is that think LG bragged about them totally beating Samsung and other manufacturers in, take their word for it) which requires a factory reset to correct (and can happen again).

Not things that would trouble a typical television viewer, but if you're handing over the fat stacks for this year's C2 television, there's a decent chance you're actually thinking about, well, low latency gameplay.

I'm suddenly really glad I got a (heavily discounted) C1 when I did. Even if it took three tries.

I actually just bought a C2 (just got it delivered) and while that video had issues, I'm not concerned about running into them. I didn't even know the tvs had a 4:3 mode and I'm not about to mess with resolutions. The pink tint is a bit odd but I imagine I won't really notice it. I'm still excited about buying it and figure a bunch of that stuff will be worked out in future firmwares.

Take care to avoid the latency issues (since a factory reset is a pain), but then gain as I noted it's possible you wouldn't notice this sort of thing, especially if you don't use the low latency modes to begin with.

Yeah totally. From the video it seems to only occur when messing with different resolutions and possibly a few other more esoteric things. As I only plan on using an xbox series x with this and only in 4k HDR etc I don't think it will be a problem. I also think LG will fix whatever is wrong with the firmware as this obviously shouldn't happen but who knows with businesses these days. As far as that blacks in 120hz thing, I don't even know what that is so I won't miss it.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Using 120 BFI for 60 FPS content seems kind of insane. The whole trick eliminating perceived motion blur requires framerate = strobe rate, so your brain fills in the gaps with smooth motion. It really seems like a feature mainly for PC gaming, since you can probably count 120FPS support on console games on one hand.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Using 120 BFI for 60 FPS content seems kind of insane. The whole trick eliminating perceived motion blur requires framerate = strobe rate, so your brain fills in the gaps with smooth motion. It really seems like a feature mainly for PC gaming, since you can probably count 120FPS support on console games on one hand.

The Xbox Series X has far and away the most 120 hz gaming option (thanks to a bunch of older games going back to the Xbox 360 that have framerate boost enabled) of any console, but it's still relatively rare.

However, the use of black frame insertion seems to boil down to matter of personal preference, and even then for specific games--though mind you, this advocacy is coming from the likes of DF's John Linneman, who is also of the opinion that late-generation CRTs at comically low resolutions can potentially produced a preferable image in current and last generation titles (using Control as an example). I haven't done much testing myself (I'd need to actually go digging into the settings, as the default is to have it disabled I think, and try out something like Mass Effect 2 or Fortnite).

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

I thought you needed 60 FPS games with BFI on a TV with 120 native refresh rate, not 120 FPS.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    If you’re remotely a halo fan I urge you to check out the battle scene in episode 5, mainly because the Chief throws a gun at a Grunts head

Oh and the opening battle in episode 1 was neat too

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    If you’re remotely a halo fan I urge you to check out the battle scene in episode 5, mainly because the Chief throws a gun at a Grunts head

Oh and the opening battle in episode 1 was neat too

Still getting a lot of Forward Unto Dawn vibes from every combat scene. Which is not a bad thing by any means.

• Options
    Elki wrote: »

I thought you needed 60 FPS games with BFI on a TV with 120 native refresh rate, not 120 FPS.

Some TVs do this, but it looks like BFI doesn't necessarily require inserting an entire frame at once at the same refresh. OLEDs in particular can turn off/go black very quickly, but act more like an LCD going from off to some bright color. More details here.

• Options
    However, the use of black frame insertion seems to boil down to matter of personal preference, and even then for specific games--though mind you, this advocacy is coming from the likes of DF's John Linneman, who is also of the opinion that late-generation CRTs at comically low resolutions can potentially produced a preferable image in current and last generation titles (using Control as an example). I haven't done much testing myself (I'd need to actually go digging into the settings, as the default is to have it disabled I think, and try out something like Mass Effect 2 or Fortnite).

He was using 1080p on one of the highest-end widescreen VGA monitors ever created. That probably does look better than Control and other console games upscaling to 4K, especially in motion where sharpness is lost to the typical motion blur of flat panels. This is not a particularly common or accessible display though...

• Options
    Halo Infinite released their new roadmap, and I'm just gonna copy-paste my thoughts from another thread:

Hoo boy, Halo Infinite released their roadmap for the rest of 2022 and it is not looking good: https://www.halowaypoint.com/news/halo-infinite-update-april-2022
    HaloInfinite-2022Roadmap-April.jpg

Despite 343 saying Season 1 was extended to 6 months but future seasons won't be, Season 2 will also be a 6 month season, with only 2 new maps. 2 maps for Microsoft's flagship F2P live service game in an entire year in a game that already has one of if not THE lowest amount of maps in the entire Halo franchise.
    Also, online campaign co-op is finally coming in August (potentially), but it will not feature split-screen co-op, which was the first promised feature of this game back after Halo 5 came out (wherein 343 said that they wouldn't launch a game without it again), and split-screen is slated for "Timing TBD" in season 3. The ability to replay campaign missions without starting a new save file and erasing your old one isn't coming until August. (It's been available in every other Halo game at launch)
    Forge is finally coming...kinda. There will be an open beta version of Forge starting in Season 2 that they will build on over time.
    There are new "Narrative Events," which seem to be some kind of single-player or multiplayer story-focused...things that star your custom Spartan from multiplayer, but they haven't said if they're PVE, or co-op, or what.
    This roadmap reflects the same studio priorities that we shared back in March...

Addressing issues negatively impacting player experience.
    Completing Season 2 and delivering it as promised on May 3.
    Continuing work on Campaign Co-op, Forge, and Season 3.
    ...with a “priority zero” of team health and getting ourselves into a sustainable development rhythm so that we can deliver great experiences to all of you while maintaining a healthy work/life balance.

We know we need to deliver more content and more features more quickly. Staying true to priority zero means that sometimes we need to slow down in order to stay healthy and move faster later. But we’re also aggressively looking at ways to accelerate.
    Our player-facing term for QoL updates that land during Seasons is “Drop Pods.” And much like their ODST namesakes, these release vehicles are meant to drop in hot, just as soon as they’re ready. Our target is one Drop Pod every month, and you can expect Drop Pods to vary in scope and size. We’ll have more to share about what’s going into Season 2’s Drop Pods as soon as possible after Season 2 launch.

The game has been tanking in numbers on Steam and Xbox, and this sure as hell isn't gonna help. It sucks, because the multiplayer gameplay is probably my favorite Halo gameplay to date, but there's just no content other than doing battle pass challenges for skins. Barely any modes, no maps, nothing to earn except BP levels.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I want to stress, for people outside the know for this game, how disappointing it is to see that a feature like “mission replay” is targeted for nine months out from the campaign’s release.

They got the benefit of the doubt for early days when it was clear that there was either a huge disconnect from fans or incredible internal conflict over what the game should be, but comparing Infinite to any other game a decent amount of time since launch is just…. Woof.

AvalonGuard on
  • Options
    How absurd is it that a game like Mechwarrior Online puts out more content than a flagship Microsoft franchise in the same time period. Just silly.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    I mean it's not surprising that if you have to go change a ton of old stuff for Reasons, the new stuff is now delayed.

Also, I am compelled to note that in my day, the content in a multiplayer shooter was "shooting multiple players". Thassit. I feel somehow something has gone wrong.

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »
    I mean it's not surprising that if you have to go change a ton of old stuff for Reasons, the new stuff is now delayed.

Also, I am compelled to note that in my day, the content in a multiplayer shooter was "shooting multiple players". Thassit. I feel somehow something has gone wrong.

The content included maps and modes. Games with less maps and modes get stale faster than others. It's simple.
    The games in the Halo franchise are known for their iconic maps, variety of modes, custom game modes and maps through Forge; basically none of which Infinite has.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Moar like Halo Finite, amirite...

I genuinely enjoyed what I played of it in multi, but I really felt like I'd exhausted what was on offer within about a week or two. The bones of a great game are there, but the dearth of content compared to its predecessors is just so disappointing. And yeah, there's nothing that holds up to assorted iconic maps from the older games - many of those just didn't get old even years later.

And a slow roadmap forwards isn't helping... as has been repeatedly pointed out, the older games had all this stuff at launch.

Jazz on
  • Options
    dporowski wrote: »

If halo infinite was as generous with maps and modes as older games were on launch, and then had the same amount of new stuff drop as older games post launch, then I would likely be praising infinite endlessly. I would be too busy playing to gripe on forums about it. The game’s shooting and moment-to-moment are indeed excellent.

The kind of stuff they have changed so far is playlists and challenges. Neither have had a major, full rework; playlists added a slayer only list and some casual stuff, and challenges saw some numbers tweaks. That’s literally all they have changed. I don’t know if that should result in heavy delays, I’m no dev myself (soon tho! I get my BS in CS in august!), but man, we’re talking about Halo here, a flagship Microsoft franchise, and they can’t even drop mission replay until August.

• Options
    Also, a minor complaint about map design; so many three-lane setups and aggressive balancing do result in stale map play, which can be alleviated by different modes and more maps to play on.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Halo, Battlefield 2042, and Overwatch all just sucking with lack of real development updates and over here Mario Kart 8, despite being paid DLC, are dropping 48 maps over a year for a game 8 years old.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Toss Halo into the "it'll be good in 3 years maybe" pile

After MCC I expected better

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

…I mean do you remember how MCC launched

I wasn’t even playing it and I remember
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Halo, Battlefield 2042, and Overwatch all just sucking with lack of real development updates and over here Mario Kart 8, despite being paid DLC, are dropping 48 maps over a year for a game 8 years old.

Overwatch really doesn’t belong in that conversation because it’s been out for like five years and has more content and more variety of play than damn near any other shooter I can think of, I can boot it up right now and play for hours

I won’t, but that’s not because it’s a bad game, it’s because it’s owned by a bad company and it makes me think of bad things when I play it! But the game itself is as content rich as you could ever want

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited April 2022

MK8's new maps are reheated old content and they have already been criticized for several things (mismatching art style, lacking game mechanics of MK8, etc.) And it will take TWO YEARS for them all to come out, even so. So don't be giving Nintendo such a free pass without looking into it.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

MK8's new maps are reheated old content and they have already been criticized for several things (mismatching art style, lacking game mechanics of MK8, etc.) And it will take TWO YEARS for them all to come out, even so. So don't be giving Nintendo such a free pass without looking into it.

DLC is still DLC.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

Nah. 8 tracks every 3-4 months is pretty great.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

In concept, I agree that that's a solid amount of content. But "we ported over levels from the mobile version (aka the worst version of Mario Kart that has ever existed) and that's it," does not deserve effusive praise. Or praise at all, really. All the gameplay things that make it Mario Kart 8 and not just Mario Kart in general are missing. It'd be like Splatoon 2 releasing new maps... that you can't use any new guns or moves from Splatoon 2 on, only the OG moveset.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

In concept, I agree that that's a solid amount of content. But "we ported over levels from the mobile version (aka the worst version of Mario Kart that has ever existed) and that's it," does not deserve effusive praise. Or praise at all, really. All the gameplay things that make it Mario Kart 8 and not just Mario Kart in general are missing. It'd be like Splatoon 2 releasing new maps... that you can't use any new guns or moves from Splatoon 2 on, only the OG moveset.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you can still use MK8 items in these new maps right?

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Don't get me wrong, i like a lot of Halo Infinite maps, especially Recharge, Streets, Deadlock, and Live Fire. (Bazaar, Behemoth, and Highpower can go away though)
    But I can only play on them for so long.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Olivaw wrote: »

…I mean do you remember how MCC launched

I wasn’t even playing it and I remember

We 'member!

To be fair, MCC's problems were technical in nature, not content problems. It's kind of the opposite situation with Infinite. And, again to be fair, MCC had a huge amount of work done on it for a long time to get it up to snuff. But I'm starting to wonder if technical issues are more fundamentally fixable than more artistic issues like map content and feature issues like campaign co-op.

And, you know, we remember how Halos 1-3 (and more) launched too. Content-rich games with features galore and iconic, timeless multiplayer maps; at least a few per game, and with Forge in 3 as well. And, rightly or wrongly, I for one still consider them the standard to judge subsequent Halos by.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Yeah, by expected better I meant "you'd think they'd have figured out to ship a complete game in the 10 years they've worked on the franchise." Halo 4 doesn't count since it's on the Reach engine.

• Options
    Also the insultingly slow progression sapped any interest I might've had in unlocking cosmetic stuff to keep me playing.