As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The 117th United States [Congress]

monikermoniker Registered User regular
edited August 2022 in Debate and/or Discourse
The last thread hit 100 pages. I'll make a better OP when I'm not at lunch.

The United States Congress. We still have one. Despite the last President's best efforts

ElJeffe on

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Fuck Manchin.

Fuck Sinema.

I know it's ridiculous but I hope we can keep the house, and get an actual 50+ in the senate. Until then, I ain't expect shit.

Also, we should change out the leadership that let themselves get scammed out of BBB by passing BIF separately.

Label on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    Fuck Manchin.

Fuck Sinema.

I know it's ridiculous but I hope we can keep the house, and get an actual 50+ in the senate. Until then, I ain't expect shit.

Also, we should change out the leadership that let themselves get scammed out of BBB by passing BIF separately.

BBB was never actually on the table

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Label wrote: »
    Fuck Manchin.

Fuck Sinema.

BBB was never actually on the table

We'll never know thanks to said leadership.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2022
    Yeah, I don't think there's a universe in which BBB passed in any meaningful fashion, but leadership fucked up any chance of hanging the blame where it belongs.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    As always, Sinema should not be taken at her word, but plenty of incredibly important legislation, including constitutional amendments have been passed along party lines.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Mitch McConnell praised Sinema today, that’s how you know you’re on the right side of history, when the Lich Lord himself sees what you’re doing and is lovin’ it

Jeezy Fuckin Creezy

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Is this thing DOA or not?

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Without Sinema, there’s no way

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't think there's a universe in which BBB passed in any meaningful fashion, but leadership fucked up any chance of hanging the blame where it belongs.

Also, wasting so much time on it.

You only get to deflect so much blame when you allow yourselves to be strung along for so long.

Not saying it should have been brought to the floor without some attempt at negotiation, but when Manchin couldn't come up with the "ten reasonable Senators" (late June), and came up empty, it should have been when they moved forward, and then blame Manchin and Republicans both.

All the extra six months did, to end with this result, was make them look like chumps.

• Options
    No-Quarter wrote: »

It was DOA before this Congress was seated. The only things we were ever going to get were appointments and Reconciliation Bills. With the latter being dependent on whatever level of unanimity can be reached between Bernie Sanders and Joe Manchin/ Sinema.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    The last thread hit 100 pages. I'll make a better OP when I'm not at lunch.

The United States Congress. We still have one. Despite some best efforts

*citation needed

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »

It was DOA before this Congress was seated. The only things we were ever going to get were appointments and Reconciliation Bills. With the latter being dependent on whatever level of unanimity can be reached between Bernie Sanders and Joe Manchin/ Sinema.

Thank you, also,

FUCK

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Sounds like an opportunity for a lot of uninterrupted air time for non-GOP candidates.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options

Cool. Stay home. Give the time to the candidates that will attend.

Couldn't see what the required changes are in the link, but I can make some pretty reasoned guesses that they're bullshit.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Manchin and Sinema have been playing a bait and switch on everything since the start

the nanosecoond it looks like one is ready to deal the other comes and shits on everything.

• Options
    Manchin and Sinema have been playing a bait and switch on everything since the start

the nanosecoond it looks like one is ready to deal the other comes and shits on everything.

Do they have to hold onto that little rope attached to the turnbuckle, or is the ref not paying attention?

Because at this point, professional wrestling is less performative than the pair of them.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Couldn't see what the required changes are in the link, but I can make some pretty reasoned guesses that they're bullshit.

Sadly I wouldn't be surprised at all if the debate commission is so beholden to their ritual place and the views it draws in that they decide to bend over backwards to GOP demands.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Sadly I wouldn't be surprised at all if the debate commission is so beholden to their ritual place and the views it draws in that they decide to bend over backwards to GOP demands.

I would be surprised if they didn't.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    I wish Sinema was being bribed, it means she can be convinced not to be stupid. Unfortunately i think she's just stupid.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Sounds like an opportunity for a lot of uninterrupted air time for non-GOP candidates.

If only one person shows up I promise you no channel will air it. They'll say at that point it's just a speech and they need to keep things fair and equal and do the whole two separate town hall thing, which is what this sounds like the RNC is trying to get them to do anyway.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »

If only one person shows up I promise you no channel will air it. They'll say at that point it's just a speech and they need to keep things fair and equal and do the whole two separate town hall thing, which is what this sounds like the RNC is trying to get them to do anyway.

Yup. Republicans get pissy and throw a tantrum, and media give them what they want out of fear of looking unfair.

Rather than saying "we had rules, they failed to meet them, their choice", which would have stopped the possibility of Trump infecting Biden with Covid if the protocols had been met, rather than relying on Trump's "honor".

That's how far they're willing to go with balance. Allow one candidate to try and intentionally infect another with a potentially fatal disease.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I've been avoiding the Congress thread because what else can the discussion do but spin its wheels, since Congress isn't going to do fucking anything until the midterms, then Rs retake at least one wing and shut down the government again.

I just hate so many people involved in Congress so much. Nothing but bad faith actors.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    At least one of them is less bad faith and more completely fucking delusional. Sinema apparently thinks she'll be elected president by acclimation (even among the MAGA cult) because of her centrist wisdom in 2024.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    At least one of them is less bad faith and more completely fucking delusional. Sinema apparently thinks she'll be elected president by acclimation (even among the MAGA cult) because of her centrist wisdom in 2024.

I saw that thread too and though "yup, fits the available evidence "

All the more reason for progressives to eject her and send her out on the ice floe. None of her Chamber of Commerce friends are going to hang around if she has no actual power.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

Since I hate her so much I look forward to her finding out just how far off her calculations are on this one.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Her fucking off on vacations all the time is really gonna help her here, yes

Bum, maybe senators are worse than NFL owners afterall

• Options
    Marathon wrote: »

Since I hate her so much I look forward to her finding out just how far off her calculations are on this one.

While it's possible, if not probable, that she gets punished for her bullshit at the ballot box, I'm going to withhold any expectations she actually pays a meaningful price for it.

Book deals, punditry options, meaningless executive positions with six/seven figure salaries, especially if she goes the Gabbard "woe is me, the Democrats are mean!" bullshit route. Especially if she openly flips to Republican. Republicans won't want her in office, but they will want her as a weapon in their arsenal.

She might fade from public view, but I doubt she'll ever have to work a real job ever again. That's just not the reality we live in, where assholes face proper consequences.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    2024 is a long way and Arizona doesnt have a great voting populace. How long did they keep sheriff joe? 10, 12 yrs?

• Options
    Sinema isn’t even going to get to keep the job she has. What a fucking idiot.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

While it's possible, if not probable, that she gets punished for her bullshit at the ballot box, I'm going to withhold any expectations she actually pays a meaningful price for it.

Book deals, punditry options, meaningless executive positions with six/seven figure salaries, especially if she goes the Gabbard "woe is me, the Democrats are mean!" bullshit route. Especially if she openly flips to Republican. Republicans won't want her in office, but they will want her as a weapon in their arsenal.

She might fade from public view, but I doubt she'll ever have to work a real job ever again. That's just not the reality we live in, where assholes face proper consequences.

She may never have to work again, but I can’t picture her as anything other than a token Democrat on Fox News after this.

She will hopefully run for President and fail miserably because she just spent the last 4 years pissing off the people who would vote in a primary. For that same reason I don’t see her being all that successful if she writes a book. And hopefully the nice executive job will go away too once people see that she’s useless because both sides hate her.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    2024 is a long way and Arizona doesnt have a great voting populace. How long did they keep sheriff joe? 10, 12 yrs?

Arpaio had a reliable core constituency, Sinema has a couple dozen lobbyists pretending to like her

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

She may never have to work again, but I can’t picture her as anything other than a token Democrat on Fox News after this.

She will hopefully run for President and fail miserably because she just spent the last 4 years pissing off the people who would vote in a primary. For that same reason I don’t see her being all that successful if she writes a book. And hopefully the nice executive job will go away too once people see that she’s useless because both sides hate her.

She's a female, bi, Democrat. Diversity jackpot as far as a Fox guest talking head goes.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    As always, Sinema should not be taken at her word, but plenty of incredibly important legislation, including constitutional amendments have been passed along party lines.

Also, a lot of bad things (e.g. Iraq and Afghanistan invasions) have passed with bipartisan support. Even with a not-so-fascist GOP, the belief in the inherent goodness of bipartisan support is nonsense.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Butters wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Also, a lot of bad things (e.g. Iraq and Afghanistan invasions) have passed with bipartisan support. Even with a not-so-fascist GOP, the belief in the inherent goodness of bipartisan support is nonsense.

I feel it's more relevant to point out that historically there have been diametrically opposed political camps to the point of threatening the country's stability and legislation that has passed on "party line" votes to address them include things like the goddamn 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendment.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    The beltway is full of lobbyists that preach the gospel of bipartisanship and I feel like Sinema cribs their notes pretty hard.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Sinema is just following in Gabbards footsteps.

Once she gets bounced out of office shes going to be the person who does all the talking head spots about how Democrats have lost their way etc.

Edit - like non-zero chance she has a speaking spot at the Republican Convention by the end of the decade.

zagdrob on
  • Options
    Bipartisanship is a shibboleth that is supposed to stand in for consensus. And broad consensus agreement is typically a good thing for a government/ polity to have so as to prevent massive swings in policy every ~4 years and be incapable of long term planning. However, consensus is entirely neutral as to whether or not it's a good thing, just a broadly agreed upon thing. Broad bipartisan/ consensus opinions that we should fix bridges rather than let them fall down is great, and we need more of it. Broad bipartisan/ consensus opinion that white supremacy is good and proper because black people aren't really people is, you know, bad.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Bipartisanship is a shibboleth that is supposed to stand in for consensus. And broad consensus agreement is typically a good thing for a government/ polity to have so as to prevent massive swings in policy every ~4 years and be incapable of long term planning. However, consensus is entirely neutral as to whether or not it's a good thing, just a broadly agreed upon thing. Broad bipartisan/ consensus opinions that we should fix bridges rather than let them fall down is great, and we need more of it. Broad bipartisan/ consensus opinion that white supremacy is good and proper because black people aren't really people is, you know, bad.

The US government is also designed to require extremely broad consensus among legislators to do anything.

One of the things you see in a lot of other democracies is that need for broad consensus is a norm rather then a requirement. A majority in a westminster-style parliamentary system can ram through whatever it wants technically.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

The US government is also designed to require extremely broad consensus among legislators to do anything.

One of the things you see in a lot of other democracies is that need for broad consensus is a norm rather then a requirement. A majority in a westminster-style parliamentary system can ram through whatever it wants technically.

Nothing keeps 50+1 Senators and a bare majority of the House from ramming through whatever the President won't veto. Senate rules can be changed on a whim if you have majority support and as such are just strong norms.

The problem is we don't have 50+1 Senators willing to do it, not that 50+1 Senators can't.

This discussion has been closed.