As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

feeling weird about the [Winter Olympics]

CelloCello Registered User regular
Welcome to the second annual pandemic Olympics! Now featuring extra human rights abuses!

I figured we needed a place to discuss the Big Sport. I'm particularly conflicted about it this time on account of China hosting and the many issues surrounding it; as a lifelong jock who deeply loves winter sports, I admit I'll be watching the Games, but I'm also perfectly fine with people using this thread to discuss the myriad problems at play, here, in between posting about how terrifying Skeleton Luge is.

And also about how awful Canada's gear is this year.

team-canada-kit-launch.jpeg

Awful.

Steam
3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I too will be conflictedly watching this, but I won’t really be able to see much of it because the US coverage is useless at showing actual competitions unless they are figure skating.

Competitions like you’ll find over on the schedule here:
    https://olympics.com/beijing-2022/olympic-games/en/results/all-sports/olympic-schedule.htm

It was Mostly training today except curling, ice hockey, and figure skating.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    And also about how awful Canada's gear is this year.

The more I look at it, the more I fall in love with it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    the all-white Canada gear at least has a bit of a Empire Strikes Back style Hoth Rebel Alliance drip to it

the red might look a little better on a not-scarlet background, would have to see a better photo

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    It all looks like it would look a bunch better not all directly next to each other. Like all the constituent pieces are good putting them all up together like that is what looks bad. Like there’s at least a few daily wear items in that catalogue that would layer great with a range of color palettes.

Sleep on
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    It feels weird that this Olympics, as well as the previous Olympics, have been such a... non-event? Nobody I know seems to care, or even get excited for it, and this is coming from a Canadian, a country who usually takes the Winter Olympics Very. Seriously. And the lack of enthusiasm is only partly explained by China being the host country. I've seen less advertising, less sponsorship, and while I understand it is extremely important to the athletes, I feel a bit relieved that the rose tinted glasses are falling off, and perhaps the IOC might face pressure to reform to retain interest.

They won't, but I can dream.

Edit: I love the Canadian outfits. I just feel the moment I put one on, I'd start calling people 'hosers'.

Muzzmuzz on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I didn't even realize they were happening, much less in China

The downside to living mostly ad-free and in a very restricted news bubble, I guess

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG