As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MENA] The Middle East and North Africa

13»

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 13
    I have not been keeping this thread regularly updated with the crimes of the Israeli Occupation Forces because it's exhausting enough just following them on my news feeds. But suffice to say, the crimes against Palestine and its people have continued unabated.

The other day, veteran Palestinian-American journalist Shireen Abu Akleh was shot and killed by Israeli forces while covering an Israeli military raid in Jenin City. She was among other journalists at the time, all of whom were wearing vests clearly labeled PRESS. There are videos of the actual shooting online, which I am not linking for obvious reasons.

The Israeli forces, of course, initially both denied responsibility and blamed Palestinian gunfire for her death, despite the other journalists present at the time saying there were no Palestinian fighters presentand debunking claims of where the gunfire came from, and Israel itself now investigating a soldier over the incident.

Her funeral procession in Jerusalem just ended, though mourners are still gathered. Israeli occupation forces have beaten mourners and deployed tear gas, smashed the windows of the car carrying her coffin, and even almost knocked the coffin to the ground off the shoulders of pallbearers.

"The Israeli army is asking people if they are Christian or Muslim. If you’re Muslim you weren’t allowed in." - @ajimran

Israeli occupation forces are attacking Palestinians during the funeral of killed Al Jazeera journalist Shireen Abu Akleh.

The closest video of the #Israeli police suppressing the funeral procession of Shireen Abu Aqleh as the coffin was leaving the French hospital towards the cemetery

DarkPrimus on
    usnTyq4.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    BullheadMagellMan in the MistsMayabird
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 13
    “Shireen Abu-Aqlah, Al Jazeera, Ramallah, Palestine” is one of those phrases burned in memory. There’s no shortage of people being killed by the Israeli army, but I’m still in disbelief that happened; she been doing this before I even started watching news. She spent a lifetime doing good; reporting in one of the most difficult places to be journalist in.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    KaputaTicaldfjamMan in the Mists
  • LanzLanz Registered User regular
    edited May 13
    Fucking Fascists. How much of a monster do you have to be to go raid a fucking funeral rite and start kicking the legs out from under the pallbearers?

Lanz on
    MagellPolaritieMan in the MistsBullhead
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    What was the excuse they were using for beating up a funeral procession? I haven't seen anything so far.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    What was the excuse they were using for beating up a funeral procession? I haven't seen anything so far.

Same bullshit our cops use to start riots.
    Police said the crowd at the hospital was chanting “nationalist incitement,” ignored calls to stop and threw stones at them. “The policemen were forced to act,” police said. They issued a video in which a commander outside the hospital warns the crowd that police will come in if they don’t stop their incitement and “nationalist songs.”

Lanz wrote: »
    Fucking Fascists. How much of a monster do you have to be to go raid a fucking funeral rite and start kicking the legs out from under the pallbearers?

Can't have a funeral procession of Christians and Muslims peacefully mourning together - such displays of solidarity undermine the propaganda that it's all religious extremist strife that's tearing apart the Gaza Strip and the West Bank.

usnTyq4.jpg
    KaputaelectricitylikesmeBullheadMayabird
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Same bullshit our cops use to start riots.
    Police said the crowd at the hospital was chanting “nationalist incitement,” ignored calls to stop and threw stones at them. “The policemen were forced to act,” police said. They issued a video in which a commander outside the hospital warns the crowd that police will come in if they don’t stop their incitement and “nationalist songs.”

"nationalist incitement" really gives the game away. Poor form there by the police.

StarZapper
    edited May 13
    Displaying the Palestinian flag is illegal, you see. Even at the funeral of a Palestinian-American. 🙄

DarkPrimus on
    usnTyq4.jpg
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I chose to not watch the videos, but I ended up seeing this picture from the funeral. This a failure to provide the minimum of human decency and letting her be buried in dignity.

Associated Press, American wire service.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    DarkPrimusFencingsaxShazkar ShadowstormelectricitylikesmeBullheadMagellTicaldfjamStarZapper
    Even calling them "demonstrators" is loaded language. It was a funeral. They were mourners.

usnTyq4.jpg
    Man in the MistsFencingsaxLord_AsmodeusPolaritieKayne Red RobeTynnanElkijungleroomxLabelShazkar ShadowstormLanzelectricitylikesmeKaputaBullheadMagellDoodmannRingoStarZapperSmrtnikMayabird
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    The press has been incredibly fucking awful on reporting this, just gulping down the oppressors’ takes without any examination at all

LanzDarkPrimusBullheadMagellDoodmannMan in the MistsStarZapperMayabird
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited May 14
    The press has been incredibly fucking awful on reporting this, just gulping down the oppressors’ takes without any examination at all
    The American press at best gives a misleading "both sides" account of the situation or at worst gives us the "Israel as a beacon of light under siege by backwards terrorists" narrative. And I mean the liberal papers and such, obviously the right wing press is just unreadable offensive racist shit.

When I was in college I attended a lecture by a left wing Israeli expat history professor on the differing media coverage of the Israelis Palestinian conflict. He presented comprehensive summaries of reporting from the US (totally divorced from reality), UK (comparably bad, maybe slightly less so sometimes), France and Germany (more reasonable on the whole), and Arab countries (pro-Palestine, but this translates to more truthful and accurate given the nature of the conflict). It was enlightening and I was impressed by this Jewish Israeli man's commitment to anti-colonialism and justice. He even agreed with me that a one state solution/end to apartheid was at that point a better solution than the more commonly discussed two-state framework, which even my left wing UMaine professors who attended the talk did not agree with me on.

Regarding the attack on the funeral procession, I don't have much to say, it's horrifying and disgusting and fills me with impotent rage and sadness at my powerlessness to do anything about it beyond continuing to advocate boycott, divestment, and sanctions.

Kaputa on
    DoodmannStarZapperSmrtnikMayabird