As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Double VPN?

WindburnWindburn Registered User regular
I need a way to spoof my location, then connect to a secure VPN.

Is this possible?

Echo on

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    dfxe77ah0dcs.jpg

• Options
    WindburnWindburn Registered User regular
    They say a picture speaks a thousand words. Unfortunately, that picture is more confusing than helpful.
    Is what I am asking not possible and anyone who knows anything would find it so breathtaking stupid to ask?
    Are you shocked because it sounds like I want to do something criminal? (it's not)
    Are you bewildered because you don't understand what I am asking?

We are moving to SC for my wife's job. I do remote work for my job (which I connect in to via secure VPN), but the outdated bylaws (which predate the internet) necessitate I do it from NC. This will require a 45 minute commute across the border and office space rental. If I can spoof my IP so it looks like I am reading in NC, it will save me a long (unnecessary) commute.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited February 2022
    Windburn wrote: »
    They say a picture speaks a thousand words. Unfortunately, that picture is more confusing than helpful.
    Is what I am asking not possible and anyone who knows anything would find it so breathtaking stupid to ask?
    Are you shocked because it sounds like I want to do something criminal? (it's not)
    Are you bewildered because you don't understand what I am asking?

We are moving to SC for my wife's job. I do remote work for my job (which I connect in to via secure VPN), but the outdated bylaws (which predate the internet) necessitate I do it from NC. This will require a 45 minute commute across the border and office space rental. If I can spoof my IP so it looks like I am reading in NC, it will save me a long (unnecessary) commute.

A VPN does exactly that, so long as the computer functioning as your VPN server is inside the state of North Carolina. I think NordVPN has a Charlotte server cluster that a lot of the financial companies have their employees use. That said, you would be breaking the bylaws, outdated or not, which require you to be present inside the state, so I would really truly make sure that all parties are fine with this before you start doing business this way.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    What Syndalis said,

If you wanted to do this stealthy like you'd have better luck asking a friend to keep a desktop in their house you can remote in to.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Couldn't you do it with a VM?

Have one VM use a VPN that goes into NC, then have it trunk into the virtual ethernet adapter on the 2nd VM and use the other work place VPN?

This discussion has been closed.