As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Sous Vide] thread- Where we circulate immersion

King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
edited February 2022 in Social Entropy++
Thats right old Riptor has entered the realm of the elite and can now boil food in air tight bags forgoing pesky things like learning how to cook meat properly or "paying attention"

In this thread shower me and others like me with Good recipies and tips for using our Immersion Circulators

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
King Riptor on

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Buying a sous vide is like the first step towards buying a smoker.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    Buying a sous vide is like the first step towards buying a smoker.

Oh I know.

• Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    Beef tongue.

No need to season because of the thick membrane around it. 130F to 140F for two days.

It's a long ass time, but it's worth it.

Once done, cut, then peel the membrane. Cut into small squares and briefly fry in a pan. Serve on tortillas with some onion, cilantro, and if you like, your favorite sauce.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    It's the little things that impress me. Carrots, peeled and cut, butter, thyme, salt, 184 for an hour and serve or store or broil and serve. I find they are the most carroty carrots. Maybe just because they are trapped right with whatever moisture they release.

Also pork tenderloins are great, especially the pre seasoned ones, just throw that whole bastard in, no need to rebag/unwrap.

Lastly the key google for times and temps is: "food" sous vide Kenji Lopez

This is also a good Google for all non sous vide foods as well.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Seriously now, I’ve had one for for around ten it twelve years, and anything you want to cook. It will cook to what you want to. I even traveled to China with one so I can cook the Christmas Turkey. It will dial in the temp for every meat you want. Now I use it as a secondary tool. Often to reheat food when I batch cook or to finish something off confit style. Your limitation at this stage is how you are going to finish your meat, you may want to invest in a blow torch if you can’t get your fry pan ripping hot. My current favourite use for it at the moment is to smoke beef cheeks for a few hours until the bark sets then throw them in a vac bag with half a litter of butter and confit them for another five or six hours. It’s mad good.

A real tip is, if you want to get a more expensive steak with a lot of marbling, don’t serve it rare, serve it closer to medium for a high marbled cut.

• Options
    Oh yeah I dont like rare steak. Medium rare is about my limit for beef.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    ZeroCow wrote: »
    Beef tongue.

No need to season because of the thick membrane around it. 130F to 140F for two days.

It's a long ass time, but it's worth it.

Once done, cut, then peel the membrane. Cut into small squares and briefly fry in a pan. Serve on tortillas with some onion, cilantro, and if you like, your favorite sauce.

I love doing lengua in the sous vide, but I've never seen it at such a low temp. Typically I do 170F (per this article https://www.seriouseats.com/sous-vide-tacos-de-lengua-tongue-recipe). With 130F I'd be afraid of not rendering the fats in the rear part of the tongue. Since 130F is med rare, does it have more of a steak-like chewier consistency?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I love my sous vide, but I can never get my pans hot enough thanks to my crappy stove. One day I'll get a blowtorch.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Is this the dark sous thread, are we talking about the elden roast

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Yoooooo this is my dream thread, as I've been using my Sous Vide a ton over the past two years.

I picked one up on Amazon Prime day at a discount but never really touched it. My buddy was using his and told me it's great for the Covid life. You're already home so you just throw food in a bag and let it cook between 2-6 hours, so you can have dinner ready whenever you finish up working, without having to watch it.

In that time, I've made some insane stuff that turned out amazing.

I had never tried pork tenderloin before, but that's now my easy goto SV meal.

Obviously steaks and chickens are great.

I did our family's Thanksgiving turkey this year -- carving the bird up before cooking it, bagging the white and dark meats separately, and cooking them at different temperatures. My family was always indifferent to turkey, but this is the first year we didn't have leftovers.

I've also been making homemade pickles -- a $1.50 worth of ingredients and 10 minutes of prep will get me about 4-5 jars of pickles.

Also made Limoncello jars for my in-laws for Christmas. Now I'm starting on infused alcohol (habanero basil vodka) and mixed drinks (Old Fashioneds).

All in all, this thing has been a game changer for me. When we got pregnant, I vacuum sealed and froze a bunch of meals before the baby came. During the first three months, we had meals ready to go so we weren't eating out all the time. Just pull a bag from the freezer (labeled with time, temp, and what meat/seasonings), throw it in at some point in the afternoon, then my wife would put the baby down and I'd prep dinner.

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    ...please provide some links on the pickles and the booze? I don't associate either of those with heating things. (Maybe the pickle brine briefly, or making simple syrup, but nothing so fiddly or long that the sous vide would really help) So I'm curious to learn a new thing!

• Options
    @QuantumTurk I ended up making the recipes with trial and error, but this is the best combos based on the past 6 months of experimenting:

Pickles:
    1 long cucumber, cut into however you want (spears, slices, etc.)
    1:1 ratio of white vinegar and water
    2tbsp of sugar
    1tbsp of salt
    Seasonings: mustard seed, cumin seed, whole peppercorns, red chili flakes
    Mason jars

For dill pickles, I put a fuckload of fresh dill in the bottom of the jar, then the cucumber slices, then 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of white vinegar, then the seasonings.

I made spicy pickles, so I chopped up some jalapenos and poblano peppers, put them in the bottom of the jar, then the same seasoning and liquid as the dill pickles. If you really want to go spicy, use just one habanero pepper, but its really really spicy, so be careful (I can handle spice really well and even that gave me some trouble).

Close the lid and shake up. Throw in sous vide bath for 137 degrees for 2 hours. Let it cool to room temp then put in the fridge.

Limoncello:
    1 liter of everclear
    12 large lemons
    2 liter of water
    1600 grams of sugar
    Mason jars

Peel the lemons so you get the skin (avoid the white part) and split into three mason jars. Add 1/3 liter of everclear to the jars. Close the jars and shake up. Put in sous vide bath for 135 degrees for 3 hours.

While the jars are in the bath, make a simple syrup with the water and sugar. Mix all on a stove top and heat over high heat and boil. Then cool down to room temp.

After 3 hours, shake the jars and let them cool down. Pour everything through a strainer so you just have the liquid. Quickly rinse the jars (or get new ones) and get about 1 liter of simple syrup for each 1/3 liter of alcohol. Then put the lid back on and freeze. This is an amazing drink to put in a small glass and sip after dinner.

Old Fashioneds:
    750ml of bourbon or rye
    1/3 cup sugar
    2tbsp water
    Two orange peels
    8-10 luxardo/maraschino cherries and a spoonful of syrup
    Mason jar

Mix everything in jar. Shake up and throw in sous vide for 130 degrees for 3 hours. Once finished, strain into a clean jar, let sit to room temp, and put in fridge. The water helps hydrate it, so when you serve, you don't need it over ice.

Basil Habanero Vodka:
    750ml of vodka
    1 habanero sliced in half
    5-6 basil leaves
    Mason jar

130 degrees for 3 hours. Shake when finished and strain into new glass. Amazing for bloody mary mix.

Obviously with the alcohol mixes, you can adjust the ratios to your preference. Also, you don't need top shelf alcohol, so this is a great way to experiment. Also, they make amazing gifts.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    ...please provide some links on the pickles and the booze? I don't associate either of those with heating things. (Maybe the pickle brine briefly, or making simple syrup, but nothing so fiddly or long that the sous vide would really help) So I'm curious to learn a new thing!

Its a quick pickle method not a proper pickling and the results are a milder pickle but you can compensate for that as seen above

• Options
    A buddy of mine makes weed infused butter with his sous vide. I don't partake, but he says his edibles taste a lot better and are pretty potent.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Everything but my vaccum seal bags are here.
    Its almost time. . .

• Options
    @King Riptor hit me up if you have any specific questions. I've gotten so many people bought in on the sous vide so I am always happy to lend a hand.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    "King Riptor" hit me up if you have any specific questions. I've gotten so many people bought in on the sous vide so I am always happy to lend a hand.

Will do. Im thinking of juat starting small burgers and maybe some frozen perogis I have

King Riptor on
  • Options
    Everything but my vaccum seal bags are here.
    Its almost time. . .

You can get away with out them if you pop them in a ziplock bag and just clip to the side of your pot. The water will push out enough air to create a poor man's vacuum seal.

• Options
    Ok. Got a porkloin ,a ribeye, and some burgers.
    Dry brining the first two for tomorrow freezing the burgers for later. So hyped

• Options
    edited February 2022
    When the pork loin and ribyeye finish up, make sure to let them get to room temperature and pat them dry.

After that, sear the ever living fuck out of them. 30 seconds on each side should give it a good color and crust without messing with the internal temperature.

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    I wouldn’t leave them to get to room temp unless you want to eat, room temperature meat. At most you’d leave them for like four minutes. A good sear should take like a minute each side and won’t effect the middle of the meat.

• Options
    2 hours left. I put butter and a few garlic cloves in each and seasoned them both with pepper since I salted them yesterday

• Options
    Bleh. Pork loin turned out good got some choice sandwiches for tomorrow. The steak was a little chewy which I assume was the cut. I shouldnt have added garlic powder. Ill remember for next time

• Options
    Also avoid butter in the bag. It overwhelms the flavor and makes it a little too rich.

Garlic and onion powder are your friends.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!