As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Questions regarding renting

ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So, on Monday, I'm calling a bunch of places in Seattle to check out, as I'm going to be moving there in July (I'm headed up there next weekend to check them out). How many places should I expect to check out before renting a place? Like, 10, or should it be more like 30?

How much paperwork should I bring? I was figuring an SS card, my passport, and driver's license would cover everything. Should I have a copy of my birth certificate?

Thanatos on

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Your driver's license should be enough. You definitely don't need your birth certificate. If you feel you need it, you could also bring your passport.

Also, you don't need your SS card - they'll just have you write your number if they're doing credit checks. Technically, nobody can ask you for the card and you're supposed to leave it at home.

Make sure you bring enough money for all the credit checks, though. It's usually 10$, some people will try to charge you 20$.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Make sure you bring enough money for all the credit checks, though. It's usually 10$, some people will try to charge you 20$.
    Most of the ones I'm seeing are $30-$40.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    On average around here it's 35-40. But yeah, Photo ID and your passport would be good. Bring a recent pay stub too, for employment verification.

Cimmerii on
    *Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    They charge $30-$40 for credit checks here (Spokane) too. If it's your first apartment they'll be a little more scrupulous about looking at your credit history and how much you earn. Pay stubs are a good idea and they may want to call your company to verify employment. I've never had one ask for my birth certificate, my drivers license was always enough.

I've always found an apartment relatively fast, but I don't know how Spokane's market compares to Seattle's. I recommend checking on Craigslist for places.

LadyM on
  • Options
    RhinoRhino TheRhinLOL Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    So, on Monday, I'm calling a bunch of places in Seattle to check out, as I'm going to be moving there in July (I'm headed up there next weekend to check them out). How many places should I expect to check out before renting a place? Like, 10, or should it be more like 30?

The more you look at, the better - but looking at apartments all day can get tiresome. :)

Also, besides just looking at the apartments, check out the near by area. Look for things you need or want close, personally I like having a food store close, some people like being close to video stores or walmarts or whatever. Gas stations also are nice to have near by.

oh and google up the area before hand if you can. Usually something like "Crime Report" "City, State" [and optionally 'Street/Area'] works pretty good. That usually comes up with City/Area stats that are some times interesting.

Another thing I look for is the roads. Sometimes it's hard to tell, but usually try to figure out if it's going to be a pain getting to/from work/school/freinds during the "normal times" that I would usually travel that.

oh, and you guys probably get a ton snow up there in Settle. We get a lot of snow/cold winters here... some places have parking garages for cheap or included in the price and some places make you park outside... so that's something I look for... the parking considerations and if it's going to be a pain come winter or not.

Rhino on
    93mb4.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I won't be having employment when I move up there; I intended to hunt up a job once I got there. Is that going to be an issue? I have more than enough money in savings to cover myself while I find a job. Like, using about half the money, I'd be able to cover my share of the first year's rent on the place we're getting.

Should I bring a printout of my checking/savings account balances?

And Seattle doesn't get much snow at all. Lots of rain, though.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    RhinoRhino TheRhinLOL Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    yea, a print out of that would be good.

Most places ask for "Employer" and then "Month Wage" on their applications... so be best to make a note of it and then give them your balance... that way they know you'll be able to cover it.

Rhino on
    93mb4.jpg
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You might need a cosigner if just showing them your savings wont be enough (but it shouldn't be a problem).

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Rhino wrote: »
    oh, and you guys probably get a ton snow up there in Settle. We get a lot of snow/cold winters here... some places have parking garages for cheap or included in the price and some places make you park outside... so that's something I look for... the parking considerations and if it's going to be a pain come winter or not.

Seattle seldom gets snow, just rain.

About the job . . . It will definitely be harder if you don't already have a job. Usually they want you to have a job that pays twice as much as the rent per month. It's not impossible to find an apt. without a job, though. My current apartment the manager skipped the job check and refunded my credit check because he liked me.

Regarding your apartment manager . . . try to get a manager or at least a handyman who lives on site. I can walk across the parking lot and knock on my manager's door if I need something fixed. In a previous apartment it was a struggle to get the fucking heater fixed in the middle of January.

Edited for lousy math skills.

LadyM on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    LadyM wrote: »
    Rhino wrote: »
    Seattle seldom gets snow, just rain.

About the job . . . It will definitely be harder if you don't already have a job. Usually they want you to have a job that pays over 50% of the rental cost each month. It's not impossible to find an apt. without a job, though. My current apartment the manager skipped the job check and refunded my credit check because he liked me.

Regarding your apartment manager . . . try to get a manager or at least a handyman who lives on site. I can walk across the parking lot and knock on my manager's door if I need something fixed. In a previous apartment it was a struggle to get the fucking heater fixed in the middle of January.
    I'm a cheap bastard, and a pretty resilient guy; I hate using climate control, and if something is an emergency, I'm just going to get it fixed and deduct it from the rent.

Really, the main question I wanted answered was "how many appointments should I be making?"

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    How long will you be able to look at apartments before deciding? Like, are you close to Seattle where you can pop by every weekend or going to be visiting it for just a week before you move or what?

LadyM on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    LadyM wrote: »
    How long will you be able to look at apartments before deciding? Like, are you close to Seattle where you can pop by every weekend or going to be visiting it for just a week before you move or what?
    I'm 800 miles from Seattle. I'm hoping to find an apartment this weekend.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    localh77localh77 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Really, the main question I wanted answered was "how many appointments should I be making?"

I guess it really depends how picky you are, but I've lived in 3 different apartments in Seattle, and I've never looked at more than 5 or 6 before I pick one. Before you even start, you'll have narrowed it down to the ones that are in your price range, have apartments available with the number of bedrooms you want, and are in a decent area. The more you check out the better, I suppose, but I wouldn't try to schedule 30 appointments over one weekend.

As far as credit checks, I don't see why you would need to pay for more than one or two. When they're ready to run one, it means that you like the place, and they like you, so ideally that will only happen once. Anyway, good luck!

localh77 on
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

localh77 already touched on how you'll have narrowed down your price range and how you won't need to pay for a credit check, ideally, more than once.

In terms of how many appointments, this will depend entirely on what sort of place you expect to live in. If you're looking for a simple apartment, your choices will likely be many. Before setting out, make yourself one of those cheesy pro and con lists of the things you can and cannot live without. Then upon reaching the apartment, you'll simply know "this is what I want." Don't waste time making appointments to see places that don't match your list.

That being said, make as many as you can fit in since you're on a limited time schedule. Cram it all in. Go wild. Over a weekend I'd say 15 would be quite ambitious, considering the hours people normally show places. And once you find "the one" and have arrangements with that landlord, you can cancel the rest. Tad disrespectful, sure, but you're in a situation where nothing else would make sense.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What you are paying for really isnt a credit chek but an admin or application fee. This makes the apartment money for taking the time to show you the property and go over your application. I would try and look online as much as possible and you probably dont want to look at more than 12 half that if you arent wanting to spend a lot of money on admin fees. Also if you dont have a rental history of 24 months you may need a cosigner. I would bring the last 3 check stubs from your employer, but since you said you wont be employed when getting the apartment your bank statement may be needed. Your liscence should be all you need for ID.

tech_hunter on
    Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    SpackleSpackle Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hmm a first-hand approach here, I had to move from Michigan to Colorado back in December with a very short timespan.

The first thing I did was check out apartment and condo listings on the internet and tried to set-up interviews on the days I'd be there. Luckily I had a driver who was happy to cart me around. I had set-up about 5 viewings for the 2 days I'd be in town and not travelling. Three of them fell through completely, but the other two were very promising. Both places took out of state checks so I could pay for the application fee. The other thing I needed was my driver's license.

Now, i've been to some places that require information from your employer, other places that just ask for your yearly income. The two places I looked at wanted the latter. I imagine a bank statement would suffice if you didn't have a job. The other thing was references. Thats obvious but can be forgotten since it's a frantic time trying to secure a place you've never been to.

I guess set up as many as you can, and if you can't make an appointment, at least give the place a call and let them know. I wish I had set up more, but I was working at the same time so it really strapped me.

Best of luck to you Than!

Spackle on
    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
    D&D Metal Thread: HERE
  • Options
    oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Personally I think it depends on whether you know the area you want to live in.

If you know exactly the area you want to live in, book as many appts as you need to find a place you want. Usually within 10 (as long as you've got low-high end of your budget covered and they aren't all on the same street) you will have found what you need.

However if you are trying different areas of a new city then you should book at least 5-10 in each area to get a good idea of what is available there.

I moved across the world and looked at around 10 places in three different areas of two cities. It wasn't enough, I should have looked at more. But 10 in the same locale is plenty.

onceling on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Also try a website like apartments.com to check any possible leads.

muninn on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    Another vote for "you don't need to look at more than a handful of places if you do your homework." I've never looked at more than 3-4 places before finding one to rent or, hell, even to buy. You can get a pretty excellent idea of how likely you are to like a place based on the material details, the price, and a couple of pictures. Speaking of which, you can save yourself a lot of time by only going to places that post pics online. It'll at least keep you from going into places that have been completely trashed, or are bone-crunchingly ugly.

Before submitting an application (and paying a fee), ask about how many other applications they've gotten. You don't appear, on paper, to be a model tenant, because of your lack of employment and rental history, so you're going to be at the bottom of the list. If there are 10 other people vying for a place, you're not going to get it, so don't waste your money.

edit: Oh, and be pessimistic in your time management. Property managers are late in getting there more often than not. Take whatever you think is a reasonable amount of time to look at a place, and add 30 minutes to it to account for tardiness.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Since it sounds like you're only going to have a weekend to actually see places before moving, you should probably schedule as many as you can fit with travel time between each. You may not need to look at more than 3 or 4 places, but there's no reason to only schedule that many. If you're anything like me, once you find the right place, you'll know it, won't have to look anymore, and can cancel the other appointments.

Definitely do your research on surrounding apartments, even if they're not what you're looking for, to get a good idea on pricing. Since it's an apartment you're looking for, it's always good to get a place with competitively low rent - so long as there are no consequences for it (like poor management).

witch_ie on