Options

Palatine Uvula

EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
My palatine uvula (hangy-ball in your throat) is really fucking sore. Has been for about 6 days now.

It was accompanied by swollen glands in my throat, fever, moderate body muscle pain (neck,arms and legs) and pretty hefty lower back pain (comes and goes).

I was looking online, and it almost looks like I have Mono.

I don't have an enlarged spleen though. I know it doesn't happen to everyone.

Day 1 was the worst. I couldn't get off the couch. Very VERY dehydrated. I spent the day drinking water and watching Star Trek on Spike (god bless that channel sometimes. Day time TV is absolute SHIT)

It's AGONY to swallow anything (food, water, hot or cold)

Same with Day 2 and to a lesser extent, 3.

Day 4 - I was still not feeling well, but I got up and did some work and stuff anyway. It had been 3 days and stuff was starting to accumulate. I started to feel shitty again and took it easy. Swallowing not so painful.

Day 5 - Muscle pain and fever is gone. I can operate normally except my glands are a little swollen still and my throat hurts slightly. Swallowing very nearly normal. Except this sandwich I had. Big ol' bun which kinda knocked my uvula around.

Today - Glands slightly swollen, I had a large sandwich yesterday that I think irritated my uvula and now it's quite sore again... hurts to swallow once more.

I've been taking Advil mostly for the muscle and pain relief, and gargling salt water every day a couple times, but it doesn't seem to help that much. And throat lozenges.

I'm going to the Doc on Monday, but does anyone have any experience with Mono? Could that be what this is? Is it just an infected Uvula? Glands? Something else?

Endomatic on

• Options
    WalrusWalrus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Mine was really badly swollen for a few days after having my wisdom teeth out, hanging down my throat and all that. It just gradually got better - took a while though.

Walrus on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2007
    You probably have tonsilitis rather than mono. You'll have to take a course of antibiotics and it'll go.

Tube on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Isn't it usually just called the uvula? I mean, I know wiki titles the page with the extra word, and oh god I didn't need to know about bifurcated uvulae, but still. I've never heard the 'palatine' bit before, and its inclusion is making me wonder where else in the body uvulas exist such that the throaty one needs an extra word to denote that its stuck to the roof of your mouth.

Oh right, topic. Yes, if you're not getting crippling fatigue along with the other stuff, you've got tonsilitis or possibly some kind of strep thing. Go to the doctor and whine at them until they run some tests.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Advice for everyone! If you get muscle pain and a sore throat on the same day GO TO THE DOCTOR RIGHT AWAY BEFORE YOU GET IT PROPERLY

Tube on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    God damnit, I have this exact same thing too (And with research, I'm pretty sure it's tonsillitis, or strep [but one can lead to the other]). It's really bad, and the doctor is closed today.

How the hell can I relieve the pain? My throat is killing me.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Get an ice lolly (do you call them that? You know what I mean). In fact get like six. The ice numbs your throat.

Tube on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    God damnit, I have this exact same thing too (And with research, I'm pretty sure it's tonsillitis, or strep [but one can lead to the other]). It's really bad, and the doctor is closed today.

How the hell can I relieve the pain? My throat is killing me.
    Gargle lukewarm saltwater (you want a teaspoonful of salt to 8oz. of water). It's not exactly fun, but it will relieve the pain considerably. And you can do it every hour, half-hour, or more often; it's not going to hurt anything.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Thanks you guys.

I actually found a doctor in my area that's open on sundays, and I went this afternoon. He took some tests, and checked everything out and said that it's tonsillitis, and not strep [yet], but the antibiotics I'm taking will kill the strep too if it develops into that, as I have a bad case of tonsillitis. He also checked for mono by feeling if my spleen was inflamed, and said that he doesn't think I have it, and that the medicine i'm on will do the trick.

So, yeah, Endomatic, go to the doctor, get your self checked out and get some medicine, and you'll be right as rain.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Get an ice lolly (do you call them that? You know what I mean). In fact get like six. The ice numbs your throat.

Merocaine.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Merocaine.

In the US, they're called Popsicles (brand name) or just ice pops.

Merocaine is a brand-name throat lozenge for severe sore throats, apparently, and likely won't taste as awesome as a Popsicle. :) (But, it'd probably work better)

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I had mono for about a month (maybe more) that went undiagnosed because the doc was sure that I was too old to have it. The sore throat was the big killer, not being able to sleep because of the pain every time I swallowed was not fun. Lozenges and popsicles helped but I was going through them fast. Tylenol, advil, Aleve did nothing. The doc who actually did diagnose the mono gave me a script for viscous lidocaine, a thick numbing agent that you gargle and swallow. Numbs your throat completely for hours. Beautiful stuff. Ask for it by name.

DrFrylock on