As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Job] thread brought to you by WAP.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    So after the mysterious delay for wage increases this year, my position got theirs back. 4.5% increase which is certainly ok. Then for the first time ever they did a cost of living increase due to Seattle being Seattle. Makes my raise about 8% total. This is good of course, but if it doesn't also extend to my subordinates I'm going to raise a fuss. Their increases go public next month.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    When I worked at a grocery store I got scolded by my union rep for buying my own box cutter and blades.

Genuine question, what grocery store did you work at that was unionized?
    Chico is in Canada

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    My new software engineer is in a corporate-mandated day long training session to learn things like how to properly put on a hair net. This makes sense.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    Does anybody here do any forging? Like, metalwork or specifically jewelry crafting?

What about checks?

...???

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Tox have you tried asking the Crafts thread? I think Juggernut's job is the closest thing to a smithy I can think of on these forums, but it is an industrial plant.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    In Zuck's case it's also his obsession with Emperor Augustus of Rome.

Also, this article is the most depressingly cyberpunk thing ever: https://www.businessinsider.com/3-d-printed-exhibition-reimagines-bezos-musk-and-zuckerberg-as-mythological-figures-2019-4

Just reading this url gave me an aneurysm.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Does anybody here do any forging? Like, metalwork or specifically jewelry crafting?

What about checks?

...???

Forging checks

Fuck, I’m old

• Options

There's a few jewelry people in the craft thread, and @Typhoid Manny has a forge

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022

What about checks?

...???

Forging checks

Fuck, I’m old

Okay gramps. Next thing we know you’ll be telling us you had to use a landline to connect to the internet.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    When I worked at a grocery store I got scolded by my union rep for buying my own box cutter and blades.

Chico is in Canada

Ah, of course! [slaps forehead]

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    There's a union grocery store in America that's always seemed pretty good insofar as I don't remember them showing up in the news for bad reasons. Winco, which is also employee-owned.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    There's a union grocery store in America that's always seemed pretty good insofar as I don't remember them showing up in the news for bad reasons. Winco, which is also employee-owned.

Costco?, but idk if that's really a grocery store. Aldi?

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

Costco?, but idk if that's really a grocery store. Aldi?

Costco pretty good, don't know much about Aldi.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    MIT graduate students have voted overwhelmingly to unionize! Hell yeah!

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Archduke Death Cab for Cutie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNNoI0b9flo

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

@Caulk Bite 6 does jewelry. The arts and crafts thread in general would be a good place to ask this question:

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240105/various-stages-of-making-arts-and-crafts

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Hey job thread!

My team is currently fully virtual, so once a month or so we do a purely optional 1 hour team happy hours type events where if folks want to they hop on a zoom type call and play geo-guesser or JackBox.

We enjoy doing them but are looking to mix up what we play for fun, any games y’all enjoy on this front? Ideally it would support a good number of folks as we tend to have good turn out (sometimes 10+ people) and supporting drop in and drop out is a nice bonus as well.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Found out yesterday that because my boss hasn't found the time to put together an actual contract for me yet, I technically won't have started back in my current job until last Friday, which means an unexpected month at last jobs wage level rather than current. Not really thrilled about that.

He did say that more time in our sister company would probably benefit me come annual bonus time, but there are two primary factors determining the bonus, it's a company factor and a performance factor. Company factor will probably be higher for my former job, but performance factor will be split between my last time here that lead to me being fired (let go, gently moved sideways into a new and exciting position in another company, whatever) in the first place, so probably not great, and then a performance factor set by my former manager who has not exactly been thrilled with the way I left and seems to have actively phased me out of projects that we had initially decided I was going to help finish without actually telling me. Obviously I'm hoping he'll be able to divorce my performance during my time there from how he feels about how my return was handled, but, well, hasn't always had my best interests at heart.

So, yeah, that'll be interesting.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Hey job thread!

My team is currently fully virtual, so once a month or so we do a purely optional 1 hour team happy hours type events where if folks want to they hop on a zoom type call and play geo-guesser or JackBox.

We enjoy doing them but are looking to mix up what we play for fun, any games y’all enjoy on this front? Ideally it would support a good number of folks as we tend to have good turn out (sometimes 10+ people) and supporting drop in and drop out is a nice bonus as well.

You can play Codenames online, which is pretty fun. There's also a thing called Gartic Phone which is basically just eat poop you cat in a much more contained format.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Hey job thread!

You can play Codenames online, which is pretty fun. There's also a thing called Gartic Phone which is basically just eat poop you cat in a much more contained format.

Codenames is a great callout

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Drawasaurus is always great as well.

• Options
    Gartic Phone is a blast to play with people since it's not really a competitive game so much as a "help I can't breathe I'm laughing too hard" game of Telephone.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Return to office plan continues to be a shitshow, with my company trying it's best to make the parent company happy while not really wanting to force everyone back (or even having the space to do so).

We don't even have space for everyone (as little as 50% of what would be needed).

Were it not for some medical issues currently being looked at and my deep dislike of job hunting, I'd probably be looking now.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Hey job thread!

Among Us is good for a crowd. Or are you looking for something that doesn’t require installation?

• Options
    edited April 2022
    I'm giving a talk to a bunch of students in 14 hours and I have not sorted out what I'm going to say. I'm not even sure how long I'm supposed to be talking for.

If it wasn't over zoom I'd probably just wing it, see what fell out. That's always a lot more awkward in a digital setting though.

update: kind of half-wung it and rambled for 20 minutes over some slides.

Giving presentations to undergrads is this horrible tension between knowing it's fundamentally unimportant and not something I should spend a lot of time preparing, and wanting them to think I'm cool. Thank god this time I managed to hit that sweet spot where I both spent too long preparing AND they think I'm a chaotic dork.

tynic on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    This dude has been on this call for over half an hour and doesn't sound even close to being done with this customer's problem and it's after time to leave.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    Okay, I know this isn't strickly relevant, but what is it with really rich dudes having really dumb haircuts? What is that haircut?

Does that really count as a haircut? Isn't it just really short hair?

Hey, as long as hair was being cut, it's a haircut.
    I'm giving a talk to a bunch of students in 14 hours and I have not sorted out what I'm going to say. I'm not even sure how long I'm supposed to be talking for.

If it wasn't over zoom I'd probably just wing it, see what fell out. That's always a lot more awkward in a digital setting though.

update: kind of half-wung it and rambled for 20 minutes over some slides.

Giving presentations to undergrads is this horrible tension between knowing it's fundamentally unimportant and not something I should spend a lot of time preparing, and wanting them to think I'm cool. Thank god this time I managed to hit that sweet spot where I both spent too long preparing AND they think I'm a chaotic dork.

Chaotic dorks are cool, what's the problem?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    This dude has been on this call for over half an hour and doesn't sound even close to being done with this customer's problem and it's after time to leave.

I was sitting near our customer service center last year and overheard a call, somewhat inevitably since it was the loudest guy there who got it, that lasted for close to an hour. The second time he told the customer "Then you should report us to the police", I saw people starting to stand up at their desks trying to will him to end the call.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »

I was sitting near our customer service center last year and overheard a call, somewhat inevitably since it was the loudest guy there who got it, that lasted for close to an hour. The second time he told the customer "Then you should report us to the police", I saw people starting to stand up at their desks trying to will him to end the call.

At that point the company should have given a bonus to whoever cut the phone line first. Jesus.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    In today's work news:

Last year was our best year ever, with revenues of $150M and a 63% margin. This year, in Q1, we had revenues of $50M*. So we followed up our best year ever with our best quarter ever. But since people aren't communicating well enough, everyone is required to be on site starting May 1st**.

*We announced a 15% surcharge with less than a week left in March, and went from $35M to $50M over the weekend. The surcharge went into effect on Monday.
    **May 1st is a Sunday. Nobody will be there May 1st.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    In today's work news:

Last year was our best year ever, with revenues of $150M and a 63% margin. This year, in Q1, we had revenues of $50M*. So we followed up our best year ever with our best quarter ever. But since people aren't communicating well enough, everyone is required to be on site starting May 1st**.

*We announced a 15% surcharge with less than a week left in March, and went from $35M to $50M over the weekend. The surcharge went into effect on Monday.
    **May 1st is a Sunday. Nobody will be there May 1st.

Irony...

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    In this post I will roleplay as a CEO

"Hey everybody! It seems like during the pandemic and having everybody work from home for 2 years we've had record-breaking profits! Now, because I love fixing shit what ain't broken, I've decided to make everybody come back to the office full-time!"

Did I do a good job?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

"Hey everybody! It seems like during the pandemic and having everybody work from home for 2 years we've had record-breaking profits! Now, because I love fixing shit what ain't broken, I've decided to make everybody come back to the office full-time!"

Did I do a good job?

Needs more buzzwords

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options

Did I do a good job?

Excellent job! Your manager will definitely make their bonus this quarter!

• Options
    godmode wrote: »
    Hey job thread!

Among Us is good for a crowd. Or are you looking for something that doesn’t require installation?

Installation is fine, ideally as long as cost is free.

• Options

Did I do a good job?

Execs have to have an impact, how else will you know how executive they are? It's like, Sales gets rerolled every 3 years. They go from being regionalized to globalized, and being product neutral to single product.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular

Chico is in Canada

Yeah, Safeway workers are part of the UFCW. A big ol' union which, according to my brother, is waning in its effectiveness ever since Sobeys consumed Safeway.

• Options

Chico is in Canada

Yeah, Safeway workers are part of the UFCW. A big ol' union which, according to my brother, is waning in its effectiveness ever since Sobeys consumed Safeway.

The UFCW is waning in its effectiveness in general or just in Safeways?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The one mystery that is really pissing me off at work is at the beginning of March they cash out your PTO you have above 40
    Only mine was reset back to 0 and I was not paid for it, I have shown this to both the overnight manager and the frequently missing HR to the words We will look into it
    I looked into it on my end and it took me 5 minutes and a walk home to double check my bank account [to make sure the paychecks matched what was deposited}

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Did I do a good job?

Needs more buzzwords

Synergy forward-facing paradigms agile re-orientation fart fart fart fart fart thbbbbtshlslhslhstrlhslthltslhlslh;rkhlrskt;ltbrsmjhblktmrnlbmnarstmbaemlbmklemnrkbjmakeelk;c