As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D ?E] The Vastness Beyond - Sunken Magor Venge

1202123252663

Posts

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 8
    Simon

    You run around the pillar and leap, clambering up enough to reach the leg of the statue.

    That’s the end of your turn. On your next turn, with no need of a check, you can climb the rest of the way up the statue and leap off of it. Double your damage on your next attack.

    This format is bad for answering questions, sorry about that. I’ll do a QA after this battle… if you survive!




    The Numerous Undead

    How many? You’ve lost track by now.

    Two skeletal warriors wielding scimitars stumble their way to Solomon and swing with all their might. Before he can recover two arrows pierce his left arm and right shoulder.

    Solomon! You suffer 22 damage from 4 separate attacks. Pain burns around your veins with every heart beat! You have taken 2/5 rot from the arrow heads… the consequences yet to be revealed.
    Geth roll 1d6+2 for Chop
    Geth roll 1d6+2 for Chop
    Geth roll 1d6 for Arrow
    Geth roll 1d6 for Arrow

    To the west, one enraged undead flings itself at Gruush! It’s set to collide with him!

    Gruush! Make a Dexterity saving throw!



    Oaghavanth and Ubika-Ucchal
    Enthroned of Oudru


    Bloodied beyond repair, the horror pierces the veil between your minds. A vision of despair clouds your surroundings, revealing an army of undead marching across your homelands, growing with each massacre!

    “End.”

    A perfect circle of shadow spirals out from the horror out to 60 feet. It rises at the edges, entombing you in a dome of darkness. You can still see what is directly in front of you. Your damage is reduced by 1d4. If your damage is reduced to 0, you will be attacked as a reaction.

    Everyone! Make a Constitution saving throw.

    Then the horror takes a swing for Kirina with its mace! Kirina! You take 10 damage!
    Geth roll 2d10 for Crush



    Mordwyn

    Once pristine helm broken open to reveal their mortified, dried out face, the knight drags itself beside Solomon.

    They strike down one of the undead that just attacked Solomon with such ferocity that they leave cuts in the drawbridge!

    Geth roll 2d6+3 for Damage

    Map when I can. For now, your turn!

    Chop:
    1d6+2 7 [1d6=5]
    Chop:
    1d6+2 6 [1d6=4]
    Arrow:
    1d6 5 [1d6=5]
    Arrow:
    1d6 4 [1d6=4]
    Crush:
    2d10 10 [2d10=9, 1]
    Damage:
    2d6+3 10 [2d6=5, 2]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+4 Dex Save (Gruush)
    Geth roll 1d20 Con Save (Gruush)

    Dex Save (Gruush):
    1d20+4 10 [1d20=6]
    Con Save (Gruush):
    1d20 4 [1d20=4]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Gruush

    You narrowly avoid being thrown from the peak, stepping lightly as the undead leaps to their doom!

    Then your body shakes, causing you to drop your weapon in pain. It falls into the darkness below.

    mrpaku
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for Kirina's Constitution Saving Throw

    Kirina's Constitution Saving Throw:
    1d20+2 9 [1d20=7]

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Thank goodness for Heavy Armor Master, that shaved a good chunk of that damage off.

    For some reason I thought it was a regular bridge, but a drawbridge makes much more sense. Is there some mechanism to raise the drawbridge nearby?

    Geth roll 1d20+2 for Con Save

    Con Save:
    1d20+2 5 [1d20=3]

    mrpaku
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for CON Save

    CON Save:
    1d20+2 11 [1d20=9]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Kirina & Solomon

    You are both forced to drop your weapons as pain causes your arms to spasm!

    Solomon! You realise the mechanism to lift the drawbridge must be within the first few feet of the castle!

    kime
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 8
    kh8e20a0nlq9.png


    A large lever is 5 feet back into the castle. The castle is made of stone, and yet the fire still burns. Inside the castle is dark and hot. You can’t see much more than stone floor; you assume pillars, doors to other areas, perhaps a chandelier hanging from the ceiling.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Kirina & Solomon

    You are both forced to drop your weapons as pain causes your arms to spasm!

    Solomon! You realise the mechanism to lift the drawbridge must be within the first few feet of the castle!

    Kirina is partway up this tower right? Her hammer would fall all the way back down right? How high up is that? (Trying to visualize the scene better)

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 8
    kime wrote: »
    Kirina & Solomon

    You are both forced to drop your weapons as pain causes your arms to spasm!

    Solomon! You realise the mechanism to lift the drawbridge must be within the first few feet of the castle!

    Kirina is partway up this tower right? Her hammer would fall all the way back down right? How high up is that? (Trying to visualize the scene better)

    Your warhammer falls from your grasp and slips off the tower, falling about 20 feet to the ground.

    The bit your are on is 20 feet, with the very tip of the pillar being 30 feet off the ground.

    Endless_Serpents on
    kime
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    To be sure, I’d have to be right next to him to attack right?

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Kirina watches her warhammer fall to the ground as she regains control over her arms. She looks down at it, and up at the monstrosity. Then, Kirina lets go of the the tower, falling back.... and drawing her crossbow. She fires a shot as she lands (gracefully?) back onto the ground by her hammer.

    Geth roll 1d8-1 for crossbow damage

    crossbow damage:
    1d8-1 2 [1d8=3]

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Endless_Serpents
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited May 8
    There were too many undead, in a short few moments Solomon and the knight would be overwhelmed and then the rest of his allies would be in even greater risk. Looking back over his shoulder, Solomon sees the lever for the drawbridge inside the gate of the now burning castle. He doesn't even bother to pick up his greatsword, he knows what he needs to do. He runs to the lever, his legs aching and the heat bearing down on him. Before entering, Solomon takes a large breath and holds it in, not wanting to inhale the smoke as he enters. Solomon grabs the lever and pulls it down. Goddess, please let this ancient mechanism still work.

    Double move right to the lever, will provoke an AoO. Object interaction to use the lever. Hopefully that'll work and stop the other undead from crossing. If it doesn't require holding it in place, I can use what's left of my movement to come back out as to not stay in the burning castle. Still probably gonna take some damage running in.

    Zomro on
    kimeAustinP0027mrpakuEndless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Kirina

    You land into a roll and grab your warhammer on the way. The bolt clips the horror, but doesn’t stick in.



    Solomon

    You dodge the throng of oncoming undead and slide into the castle. You grasp the lever with both hands and force it down.

    The drawbridge begins to lift. You hear the slow clack clack clack of chains hidden beneath the castle grounds… then it swings upright all at once! Undead are thrown against the castle! A couple jump in time, landing upon the last blue clad knight, and maul them to death even as they cut them to pieces.

    Mordwyn is down. Several undead are out of the fight. The chasm is cut off!

    7fe69753lwgu.jpeg

    kimeAustinP0027mrpaku
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Adventurers

    Black smoke spills from the castle walls, inside and out. You hear a terrible crack as a beam falls somewhere within, followed by a tumultuous crash off what might be the majority of a higher floor.

    Were you to look across to the massive open gate of the castle in this moment… you would see that Solomon is gone.

    kime
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Arthur isn't sure what was more terrifying, the horror that was attacking them, or suddenly not being able to see it anymore. He looked deep within himself for his resolve, knowing how easily this could all go wrong but willing himself to try and make it better.

    He crawls forward slowly, until he can now see the horror in front of him once again. He takes Ina deep breath, lifts his hand, conjures an acid globe, and shoves it directly into the things side.

    No more spell slots for me.

    Geth, roll 3d8-1d4 for Acid Dmg

    Acid Dmg:
    3d8-1d4 13 [3d8=7, 6, 2] [1d4=2]

    kime
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Arthur

    You hear the horror cry in pain! It swings for you, barely missing your head!

    The dome of darkness flees into the horror, who’s entire focus is now upon you!

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Map:
    fjmi2tmwwybf.jpeg

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited May 8
    Oh, I forgot about the blackness.

    Geth roll 1d4 for damage reduction.

    Edit: OK so I did negative damage. And I get attacked now?

    damage reduction:
    1d4 3 [1d4=3]

    kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Oh, I forgot about the blackness.

    Geth roll 1d4 for damage reduction.

    Edit: OK so I did negative damage. And I get attacked now?

    I’d just been doing it for real ‘off-camera’, but thank you. I’ll use your roll instead.

    kime
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    The dome of darkness flees into the horror, who’s entire focus is now upon you!

    Thisisfine.jpg
    :sweat_smile:

    Zomrokimemrpaku
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 8
    Kirina

    With a creak and the sudden sound of torn flesh, a third arm erupts from the horror. From each many jointed finger a bolt of pure force is let loose!

    Kirina! You suffer 12 damage!

    Super harsh that your own roll was worse for you, so you earn Inspiration!

    Geth roll 4d4 for Manic Missiles

    Manic Missiles:
    4d4 12 [4d4=4, 2, 2, 4]

    Endless_Serpents on
    kime
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    I dont think its ny turn? But when it is, I think it's my final round in the statue. Can I try to do some form of slamming the big bad against the flaming walls, with the intent that when the statue goes inert it will pin him there?

    Or, can i try to drag him south and throw him in the pit? Not sure if that's one action RAW.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I dont think its ny turn? But when it is, I think it's my final round in the statue. Can I try to do some form of slamming the big bad against the flaming walls, with the intent that when the statue goes inert it will pin him there?

    Or, can i try to drag him south and throw him in the pit? Not sure if that's one action RAW.

    Sounds like a straight forward contested grapple check! It is your turn!

    Just so you’re aware, Simon has climbed onto the statue. Not that that would affect your actions.

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Double checking, it's magical darkness overrides my divine light?

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Double checking, it's magical darkness overrides my divine light?

    Not now that Arthur has removed it!

    kime
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited May 8
    The Alz-tatue grapples with the horror before it, hoisting it it from the ground with a grip on its hip and (. . . arm? Some appendage!), stretched apart overhead! "Strike if you can, Simon!"

    The statue trudges south, skirting the carbuncle, and then hurls the thrashing mass of bone as hard as it can towards the chasm!

    Geth roll 1d20 plus whatever Str

    E: Geth you are such a shit

    plus whatever Str:
    1d20 4 [1d20=4]

    fadingathedges on
    kimemrpakuAustinP0027
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Alzav

    You grab the horror in your mighty fists and throw it from the pillar!

    But as you do a dozen limbs spring forth and latch onto the statue! Together you begin to fall towards the chasm! You teeter on the edge!

    Upon the statue’s shoulder Simon stands, blade ready. But will he deal the finishing blow if it means he too will fall?

    ecf2sr9gcr4e.png

  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Simon abandoned his sword as he jumped on the statue and began the climb. He pulled him self atop the great statue and hesitated. Was it holding the horror over the chasm?

    "Strike if you can, Simon" Simon nodded and pulled out his maul. When the monster looked the most unbalanced he jumped.

    Geth roll 4d6+6

    4d6+6 23 [4d6=4, 1, 6, 6]

    Quire.jpg
    AustinP0027mrpaku
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 8
    Simon

    The maul clattered through the horrors bones, crashing into its spine! It releases its grip on the statue and falls backwards into the chasm below. You ride down on it, your body pressed against its shattered remains. Wind whips by your helm. Your vision blurs into utter darkness. The last thing you hear is rushing water.



    Unless…

    Endless_Serpents on
    nightmarennyAustinP0027kimefadingathedges
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    As an aside, this is pretty dramatic :D . Several people are on the edge of dooooooom!

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    mrpakunightmarennyAustinP0027fadingathedges
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I said unless…

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Evil-Eyed Gruush watches as the clockwork statue falls, the great headed-horror and Simon riding atop it as they dropped down into the chasm. The Mask hesitates, for but a moment...then, with a quick snap of the knees, he lets himself feel as the group whistles past him, and at the last possible second he leaps out with all his might, arms aimed for the Wytch-Knight!

    Geth roll 1d20+4 Acrobatics (Gruush)
    Geth roll 1d6 Bonus Dice (Lunatic)

    Acrobatics (Gruush):
    1d20+4 19 [1d20=15]
    Bonus Dice (Lunatic):
    1d6 1 [1d6=1]

    Endless_SerpentsAustinP0027Zomrokime
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I said unless…

    We cross posted, I made my post not seeing your update

    Also: AHHHH

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Adventurers

    You sense a great change across the Vastness Beyond. The Enthroned of Oudru is destroyed! Though undead exist, no more can be created, and none will rise again once slain. Far from your view, the least of them simply slow to a halt and lie down to die at last.

    Simon! Your mind once again played tricks on you. You open your eyes, body clenched, to see the masked rogue holding you in his arms. You lay side by side on the bank of the chasm.

    The chasm below is briefly illuminated thereafter, the impossible shape of the fragment of the Crown Eternal sailing away on a rapid river far below. You (me) has no idea what is to become of the powerful fragment.

    Alzav! The statue sinks into the ground by the chasm as if it were quicksand. It stops when it drops to its waist. You must figure out how to vacate the statue.

    Solomon is missing. Dead perhaps, within the crumbling, burning castle before you. Your only means of escape is to flee into the black smoke. The undead gather at the chasm’s edge on the far side; some are archers, others may well be spell casters—after all, you’ve learned by now they’re knowledgable of the arcane.

    What do you do?

    kimemrpakuAustinP0027
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Enthroned Vanquished

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Kirina watches the fragment of the Crown Eternal float away for an extra moment. She tracks the direction of the underground river, trying to keep some sense of where that is outside in the (probably futile) hope of finding the outlet later. Of finding the shard of the Crown Eternal.

    She then does a quick headcount, noticing both Solomon and Alzav missing. But Alzav mentioned entering the statues... She glances at the statue that helped in the fight.

    Did any of us see Solomon enter? I think he ran off while a lot of us were in the brief magical darkness. It seems like the obvious place to go, but Kirina would probably delay as long as possible to find Solomon out here if she doesn't think he ran in the gate (which seems like it'd be a strange thing to randomly do in a fight)

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Adventurers

    Accessing the carnage, you are glad to see all the undead on your side are dead.

    It’d be difficult to focus on anyone in detail for the reasons you stated. It was very chaotic.

    You have little reason to think Solomon crossed the drawbridge, leaving you only the immediate castle grounds to look for him. Feel free to roleplay, and to search the bodies for loot, I mean, clues.

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Kirina casts Guidance on herself in case it becomes necessary, and attempts to search among the bodies for Solomon. Most of them were pretty distinct, either clearly undead or poorly armored or such, but there's a decent amount of carnage and rock formations and such, and the undead knights could be mistaken at a glance.

    Her goal is to, as quickly as possible since the undead across the chasm are still dangerous, discern if Solomon is here and needs healing/is already dead.

    Looting probably comes more instinctively to others in the group :D

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Arthur can see most everything from his perch high above the field. Including seeing Simon swipe down and start falling. Arthur tries to yell out but his voice is caught in his throat, right up to Gruush diving across the chasm to catch him. “Woohoo!” The sound comes out without even realizing, and he does have to lower his arms, which had involuntarily raised.

    Looking around, he takes count of their situation. From his vantage point, he realizes he can likely see them all, though Alzav and Solomon seem missing. Pointing down at the edge of the chasm, he yells out. “Someone help Gruush and Simon. We need to get away from the edge.”

    His eyes scan over the undead, knowing one holds a bow. “We need cover! They can still hit us.”

Sign In or Register to comment.