As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D ?E] The Vastness Beyond - End Times

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Your journey continues. Puddles of purple, oily liquid dot the landscape, but for the most part your path has avoided the steaming lakes of rot that litter the sparse hills and stretches of flat, stone plains.

Solomon, the lakes remind you of the dents left behind from catapult fire. Folk tales spoke of giants throwing boulders at their enemies. Just how big can a giant get? What strange fate has befallen them, or are they blessedly civilised? Perhaps you fear not of the giants, but what you must soon do with your fell hand…

Gruush, you don’t think you’ve seen a living plant anywhere, but some mushrooms are making ends meet. All poisonous, naturally. Could still be useful to have on you, if picked safely. The spores though, hm... Gloves and cloth over the mouth, that’s the ticket. Is it worth the trouble?

Arthur, though perhaps others realise this too, you spend significant time thinking about the Lady’s abilities. Were you to face her in combat you’re certain she would be able to manipulate time, altering the rate of other’s action and with movement that would appear faster than the eye could see. It only stands to reason. Precautions must be taken if it comes to it, but what? You can only hope her durance holding back time will limit her greatly, but for how long? Purely by logic, it was good you didn’t get into a fight back there. Too many hands on deck. Had a blow not killed the Lady outright you’d have been facing dozens of people and wyverns along with her!

Alzav, you were moved despite yourself. Real faith. The shortsword is heavy on your belt. Though this land is full of horrors, was the Sovereign’s rule one of wonders? They obviously hope to regain some semblance of it with their daughter’s return. You know so little about the Sovereign. Think of what Lady Gladdinore could teach you! That boy… not really a boy… a creature made through practises you have no understanding of. Still, thinking, feeling, with the same knack you have. An intrusive thought: Are you the last living soul of all the noble house’s of Oudru? What would that mean for you if you saved Lady Gladdinore?

Kirina, you have power. A fragment of something greater. Followers. The respect of a company of warriors. What will you do with it?

Simon is fairing well. He has spoken of taking on an archivist role upon your return to the belfry. This will be his last adventure with you. He’s glad he ventured to the Vastness Beyond, but upon the revelations that the people here are no better, and perhaps much worse, than those of his homeland, he no longer feels the need to pursue the whereabouts of the Wytch-Knights.

Very occasionally Jin breaks his silence to say he hates the nobles of the city, that they are liars and he should have killed them all. He will follow Kirina though, in hopes she’ll come around in time. He’s only somewhat coherent.

The other pair of followers stay close together, and say little unless asked.

Above the sky remains a bruised purple. The same as it has been since you arrived. In the distance…

p0cl2tagv5xz.jpeg

…towering mega-fungus sweeps across the land like a putrid forest as far as the eye can see. At your current rate you have an hour until your pierce it’s edge. A sight never seen before, but you are becoming accustomed to the weird. You feel yourselves tire somewhat, but none can measure exactly how long you’ve been on the trail…

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Arthur is busily writing in his book as he walks, furiously scribbling down notes of the city before he forgets them. The scene in the throne room had shaken him a bit, both from the sight of what Lady Gladdinore was capable of as well as just the general behavior of the nobles themselves. He was paying attention to the group still, and even incorporated some of the comments about the residents of the city possibly being animals into this notes, but he said little. He also was taking precautions to prevent anyone else from reading, covering his writing and closing the book if anyone gets nearby.

His eyes are drawn away as they near a forest of giant mushrooms. "I hope the size of those isn't relative to the size of the giants we've been sent after."

Just a quick catch up, plus sharing newly leveled sheet.
    https://ddb.ac/characters/71627966/swRCL1

• Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    "What do you make of them, Arthur? After everything we saw, what will we find ahead of us?"

Have we gotten a long rest, or should we plan to stop on the road / at the border to place?

• Options
    Arthur's eyes turn to Alzav. Given the size, I would assume this place has been effected magically to induce growth. I worry what that might mean for any creatures that were here.

• Options
    You have not had a long rest, and you can. I’ll have a few checks and questions for you if you do, just so it doesn’t seem instantaneous..

• Options
    "We should rest, before we face whatever lives here. Is there a good place here? I'm not sure if there is safety or danger in the cover ahead. What about over there?"

Alzav will Help someone to spot the best campsite location.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Updated character sheet: https://ddb.ac/characters/71773519/AeXWI7 . Not many changes for Clerics at level 4. I up'd my Wisdom :D .
    You have not had a long rest, and you can. I’ll have a few checks and questions for you if you do, just so it doesn’t seem instantaneous..

What time is it? Would it make to rest now?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    "We should rest, before we face whatever lives here. Is there a good place here? I'm not sure if there is safety or danger in the cover ahead. What about over there?"

Gruush nods in agreement. "S'been a long day...should hunker down, touch base, take account o' where we been an' where we're going next..."

Geth roll 2d20+6 Investigation (Find a Place to Camp)

Updated my character sheet/equipment log at the top of page two in the thread. Gruush gets an Ability Score boost at level four, which I put into Intelligence and Dexterity, bumping up his attack modifier and putting a +1 in about seven different skills. Also pretty excited about that new disguise kit!

Investigation (Find a Place to Camp):
    2d20+6 38 [2d20=19, 13]

• Options
    @kime
    That’s the thing! It never changes around here.

Nearby, Gruush spots a softly sloping outcrop that leads to a flat, stone rectangular base; the foundations of a building. He checks ahead, finding no hidden entrances or other such surprises. Just a dry place with the vantage of height that isn’t tough on your beast of burden to lug the cart up on.

Questions for anyone who wants to answer:
    1. What little touch do you add to the camp to make it homely?
    2. What do you do to make the camp more defensible?

Cooking Time!
    One of you, tell us all what you cook for the party. Your rations are plentiful, gifts of the nobles, but might their ingredients be somewhat dubious? There isn’t much alive out here, so what do they have in terms of food?

Make a relevant skill check if you can, or roll a 1d20 and hope for the best. A good meal will have its benefits.

For the rest of you, chime in with your own desires for downtime activities and we’ll go from there.

• Options
    Geth roll 1d6 for C.D.T.B

C.D.T.B:
    1d6 5 [1d6=5]

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Solomon finds some water nearby and brings as much as he can. He uses his divine power to cleanse the water of any toxins and then scoops some of it in his old helmet, a simple skull cap. He then heats up the helmet with the water over the campfire. When it begins to simmer, he removes the helmet and leaves it nearby. "Let it cool a little so it won't burn, but you can use the water to clean up. An old trick I picked up on a previous military campaign. A little warm water to wash your face does a lot for the spirit."

Since the water around here is still poisonous, using a Purify Food and Water on whatever water we find.

Solomon cleans up his face and makes sure his weapons and armor are cleared of any dirt, grime and blood. He then takes a relatively clean rag and pours some of warm water over it, wrings it out and then drapes the now warm rag over his shoulder, to soothe his aching muscles.

• Options
    Alzav takes a seat facing the outcrop and threads a long, thin scarf from his garb into the bowl of his lute. He plays quietly, the instrument muted somewhat by the cloth as the group settles in to rest.

• Options
    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Performance if needed

Performance if needed:
    1d20+4 19 [1d20=15]

• Options
    Kirina is also able to help with ensuring the food/drinks we have/find are safe, she will Ritual cast Detect Poison and Disease and Purify Food and Drink as needed.

Beyond that, though, she'd like to meditate (and she'd be happy to do so with others, her followers or the group). The visit to the city shook Kirina on multiple levels. She came in prepared to overthrow the leader, and left promising to help. The unease that's been in the back of her mind was explained-- the whole country is poisoned. Not the normal "poison" or disease, but a poison of the soul. The freezing of time is an aberration and, looking up at the sky, she can still feel it. Creepy crawly all over her skin, now that she's aware of what's going on. Time isn't meant to stop like this.

So, Kirina needs to re-center herself, and is going to meditate to try it first. Traditionally in the evening this would be best done at sunset, but.... that's not an option here.

Steam profile
  • Options
    Arthur spends a little time with his spellbook, practicing a cantrip he learned but was just starting to finally master. When he finally feels he has the hang of it, he goes around to everyone and start cleaning their clothing of dirt. It wasn't much, but maybe if the party felt fresher, it would ease their burden.

His part done, he returned to his book, taking notes, studying spells, but also watching the party from the side, some of the quick scribbles related to what he was observing.

I'm going around casting Prestidigitation on everyone to clean the dirt from their clothes.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Evil-Eyed Gruush takes advantage of some of Solomon’s water to roughly clean some of his clothes upon a rock.
    ”Danks!” he says kindly to the old soldier. “Truth told, I should be using this to bathe…I am getting’…” Gruush sniffs under both arms, a good, long inhale. “Yeah…yeah, getting a bit ripe, there. But gotta say…I love this Duelist’s outfit…and I ain’t never had such a fine dress!”

Grunting, Gruush ambles over and slaps Solomon on the back good naturedly. “Hrrmph! Well, ye’ did good back there…cept’ fer the Watki thing, ‘course. Turning that bird back were a stroke o’ genius! Was glad to draw swords wit’ ye again, Solomon!”

Leaning over and whispering, Gruush asks, “Say, ye’ think Simon’s alright? He’s been real quiet since the chapel…feels like something in there shook him, real bad. Just don’t want the poor guy to snap…”

Gruush take greatful advantage of Arthur’s* cleaning services! He stops awhile to listen to Alzav’s songs, before joining Kirina and her followers for meditation. Midway through the session, the session is interrupted, as Gruush (sitting up and cross-legged) seems to have fallen asleep…

*Edit for "I keep mixing up "Simon" and "Arthur" for reasons related to my kid's names"

mrpaku on
  • Options
    Alzav

Your performance seems to soothe Jin somewhat. Perhaps out of all of you, even Kirina, Jin considers you not just an ally, or a master, but a friend. He’s not one to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSC95AiLlM0

Gruush

Gruush continues his habit of forgetting what Arthur’s name is.

He talks to Solomon while Simon is sat right there.

“But I’m Simon.”, he says.

I don’t want to know the entire watch structure, but who will keep watch first while the rest sleep?
    Geth roll 1d4 for C.D.T.B

C.D.T.B:
    1d4 2 [1d4=2]

• Options
    Who will keep the very safe first watch?

• Options
    Gruush will guiltily offer to take first watch after his meditation nap. Also, sorry @AustinP0027 - I don't know what brain-block that makes me mix up these two names!

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Gruush

It won’t be a long watch. That’s the consolation. Pretty open back the way you came. Left and right are fine too. Big shadowy fungus forest? Not ideal.

I’ll come back to you.

Sorry I kinda jumped ahead here without giving you chance to chat more. Discuss whatever you fancy.

Maybe consider giving the party a name. You’ve managed fine without one so far, it’s no biggie.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Do we uhh... know what the ominous "C.D.T.B" rolls are?

Steam profile
  • Options
    I mean it sure stands for something and it just went down a size.

• Options
    Alzav makes contact with Jinn as he plays.

"What will you decide for yourself, Jinn? We will help you, if there is help to be had. But, I think, it could be entirely in your hands."

• Options
    Alzav makes contact with Jinn as he plays.

"What will you decide for yourself, Jinn? We will help you, if there is help to be had. But, I think, it could be entirely in your hands."

The sound of a constant barking fills his mind.

He speaks aloud, “I will travel with the Perfumed Bloom, until the end.”

That’s all you get.

• Options
    I want to make sure people have a chance to chime in if they want to. Have we agreed to continue on this quest to help the Lady/nobles? Or at least to continue in that way for now, with the option of changing our minds later?
    Not everyone knew what was happening until this camp here, and I may have missed it but I don't think everyone said their opinions. Which is fine if we're all assuming the characters have agreed and whatnot, just wanna make sure we are aligned.

Steam profile
  • Options
    Back tomorrow folks! Your very lives won’t depend upon Gruush. Everything is fine. 4 is fine encounter and nothing else will complicate it.

• Options
    Oh, thank god :s

@kime Gruush was basically on board from the moment Kirina explained the game plan- he trusts her implicitly, and seems content to go wherever the group wants to go without question (at the moment)

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Alzav wants to learn more - we clearly don't have the whole picture. But he has turned even further against the idea that the city is wholesale evil and should be torn down. So: yes, for now.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    Gruush

The first watch begins. It is no more or less light than before. Your eyes are drawn to the purple sky with newfound insight. Perhaps it’s set to fall. A weight over this land. From there you no doubt scan the horizon in slow circles, trying your best to keep all sides clear.

It’s hard to rate time here, so perhaps you count. 50. 94. 302.

As you turn once more towards the east, you see Jin. He has removed his garments. He is hunched mere feet from Kirina’s other followers, who are nestled together on a shared bedroll, sound asleep. He sniffs the air. Drool drips from his maw. His hair raises on his back. He inches closer to them, muttering something. Something about blood.

sdijbkqhle7t.jpeg

Then you hear a crack. The image of one of the dry, white trees hits your mind. Something has stood on a fallen twig, directly west of the camp. Behind you. Thirty feet. Getting that close when you’ve been watching, they must be a well trained sneak or supernatural. The idea of invisibility is not unheard of in myth, and here myths are alive.

You don’t have time to react to both. What do you do?

For this ‘turn’ none of you can react*. You’ve just got to sleep, finally. You’ll hear Gruush if he shouts, then you can get ready. Your gear is never far from you, but you weren’t sleeping in full armour, so act out our characters appropriately.

*Save for Arthur, for a reason he knows.

• Options
    Arthur pops up. He had been awake and watching the party, waiting for something to happen, and the moment Jin stood up looking beastial and as if they were going to attack the others, Arthur climbs to his feet, points his hand out towards Jin, and says a word in a language that doesn't translate to anyone who isn't aware of the arcane arts.

Casting Tasha's Mind Whip on Jin (new spell!)
    Jin needs to make an INT save, DC 14.

On a failed save, the target takes 3d6 psychic damage, and it can’t take a reaction until the end of its next turn. Moreover, on its next turn, it must choose whether it gets a move, an action, or a bonus action; it gets only one of the three. On a successful save, the target takes half as much damage and suffers none of the spell’s other effects.

Geth, roll 3d6 for Mind Whip Dmg

Mind Whip Dmg:
    3d6 11 [3d6=2, 5, 4]

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Geth roll 1d20 for Save

Results to come after Gruush makes his move!

Save:
    1d20 19 [1d20=19]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Maybe he's just hungry?... Gruush has just enough time to think of the loping Jin, before he hears the tree branch snap. He jumps up, and in that moment makes an immediate choice: Jin doesn't look to be eating any of mine. But someone who could sneak up, on me, in the night? Now that's a problem the group needs to worry about...

• Options
    hoooonk mi mi mi mi---

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Sorry for the lack of posts in a few days, been a tough couple weeks and I've been trying to decompress.

And then I went and locked myself out of my condo today

• Options
    No worries.

I’ll update in about 4 hours! Busy!

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Gruush
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Maybe he's just hungry?... Gruush has just enough time to think of the loping Jin, before he hears the tree branch snap. He jumps up, and in that moment makes an immediate choice: Jin doesn't look to be eating any of mine. But someone who could sneak up, on me, in the night? Now that's a problem the group needs to worry about...

They seem to shimmer in and out of existence. Like heat waves. You feel the breeze brush over you, and realise whatever they are, they can trick your senses. You’d call them ‘mushroom men’, but you fear they have nothing in common with mortals such as you. No trace of empathy. Just upright predators.

lyme5b8mktjl.jpeg

Three. You’re sure of it. You’re going to need to keep your eyes on them lest you loose track of them.

Roll for Initiative!
    Geth roll 1d20 for Mushiative

Arthur

Jin is thrown aside, but lands on all fours. He shakes his head violently. For a moment his gaze fixes on you. His body freezes. You meet his gaze; one human eye, one wolf. He leaps towards you, snarling, teeth snapping!

Roll for Initiative!
    Geth roll 1d20+1 for Jinitiative

The Waking Party

You hear commotion!

Aw heck, roll for initiative.

Mushiative:
    1d20 9 [1d20=9]
    Jinitiative:
    1d20+1 17 [1d20=16]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Geth roll 1d20-1 for Kiritiative

So.... no armor means we have a bunch less HP, right?

Also, ooooo golly. I am not prepared for combat lol. I don't think I've changed this spell list since we came to Drossmire, which means it's all like... utility stuff and poison protection and whatnot. I have like... 1? 2? combat spells.
    So you know, good luck team! I can still hit 'em with my big mallet and throw out some basic heals.

Kiritiative:
    1d20-1 13 [1d20=14]

Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    Geth roll 1d20-1 for Kiritiative

So.... no armor means we have a bunch less HP, right?

Also, ooooo golly. I am not prepared for combat lol. I don't think I've changed this spell list since we came to Drossmire, which means it's all like... utility stuff and poison protection and whatnot. I have like... 1? 2? combat spells.
    So you know, good luck team! I can still hit 'em with my big mallet and throw out some basic heals.

Yep! Deduct your AC-HP!

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Interestingly, because we leveled up, I have a L2 spell slot!

And L1 spell slots, but just defense/utility there.

Geth roll 1d20+2 for AlSnooziative

e: Unless it doesn't work like that? I have only ever L'd up on rest.

AlSnooziative:
    1d20+2 10 [1d20=8]

fadingathedges on