As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 5E] Strike Force Claymore — Gladiatorial Wombat

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    "Wait, what jars?" Cyr asks, wondering if they would need to detain the archaeologists next.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    "Wait, what jars?" Cyr asks, wondering if they would need to detain the archaeologists next.

The goblin shrugs.

“Like… dead wizard jars? It always stands in front of the dead wizard jars. You can just walk right by it as long as you don’t go for the dead wizard jars. That’s what golems are for, to protect your jars, I guess.”

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Sug struggles, but manages to pull himself up. He is huffing harder that he would like. But now with a higher vantage point, he sees the golem fighting Ryder and Lyn.

He rushes closer, and his arms begin waving. A large circle in front of him, with a small spin, and stars outline a circle around him before settling onto his body in the shape of an archer. As it settles, a bright arrow appears and flies off towards the golem.

Bonus action to use a wildshape to use Starry Form (Archer). Gets a free attack this turn and BA attack every turn after.

In my head, his Starry Form transformation is very Sailor Moon-esque, to paint a picture.

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Star Arrow
    Geth, roll 1d8+3 for Dmg

Star Arrow:
    1d20+5 23 [1d20=18]
    Dmg:
    1d8+3 7 [1d8=4]

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    "Alright, friend. I'm going to have to restrain you for just a bit while we deal with this golem." Cyr says, pulling out a length of rope and moving to hobble the goblin before he heads out to interrogate the archaeologists.

Do I need to make a roll for tying up the goblin?

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    As Ryder briefly dislodges the gem, Lyn uses this opportunity to jam the point of her spear in between it and the golem, wrenching back with as much force as possible to attempt to fully dislodge the power source. She just needed to get enough leverage to torque the thing right out of there. Even if it wasn't enough, maybe the electricity crackling through the weapon would interfere with the type of charge the golem was running on.
    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Athletics+1

Well, you can't ask for a better result than that.

Athletics+1:
    1d20+3 23 [1d20=20]

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    The 69ers

It all happens at once. Ryder gets the gem almost free, Sug blasts the golem in the side with a beam of cosmic power, and Lyn seals the deal. The gem bounces into a flowerbed and the golem lurches forward. It stays standing for a moment, then falls to the ground.

Objective Complete!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD9ZgJ8ETm4

Cyr, you tie that goblin up just fine.

Right on time, as if they were watching from some vantage point, the local police force roll in. They arrive by a classic water elemental powered motorcar, much cleaner for the environment, but in need of regular replacement parts due to the rust. There is only three of them. One is a youthful looking wood elf, his partner a much older one (you can’t tell the difference but trust me, he’s a grizzled veteran). The last cop is a humongous cactus man in a loincloth. Their badge indicates they are the sheriff.

You hear a crackle in your ears, “The Wizard-Seers say there’s some interference. Can’t get a lock on you for a minute or so. We’ve gone blind. But I’ll fix it. How’s it going?”

This voice is more familiar to you than whoever called you in for the mission. Ollie is on the line.

3j2vu8sn0xwj.jpeg

Ollie (real name an excruciatingly long high elf string of poetry) isn’t part of the comms squad. She maintains equipment and helps out the Wizard-Seers when even they can’t fathom the problem. Think of her as an arcane engineer. She did a little bit of your basic training too, day 5 to 7, and is where at least half of your arcana knowledge stems from.

Talking is free. An action takes 6 seconds. You’ve got a minute until you’re pulled out as you have completed the mission.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Lyn has to catch herself as the gem suddenly gives in and goes flying, remaining steady on top of the golem for a moment. "...is it...?" She dives off as it flops to the ground, rolling back to her feet without too much difficulty. The crackling energy dissipates as she dusts herself off while taking stock of the situation. "Oh, they did send the turtle..." Ryder probably hears her mumbling to herself before she gives him a nod.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Sug moves to the Golem now that it appears to have shut down. "Well, that's done. You see anything that might explain why it went rampaging?"

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    "Yeah! Mission complete! Let's see the 31st do THAT!"

Ryder has a rivalry, albeit onesided, with basically all the other teams, comes with being the showoff that he is.

"Ollie! How's it going, buddy? You think about that request yet?"

Ryder had asked Ollie about upgrading his Boots of Fly so that the flashing lights would change color. A completely useless upgrade from any rational person's perspective, not to mention it requiring far too many magical resources, as it would require a new enchantment for each color.

Zomro on
  • Options
    "Ollie, yes! How wonderful to hear your lovely voice!" Cyr says cheerfully as he leaves the tied-up goblin on the floor of the house and heads towards the archaeologists huddling on top of the fallen tree. "I believe I have information on why the golem became a problem!"

Cyr does a little side-step and disappears for a moment, using his Fey Step to reappear just to the South of the group of archaeologists. He points his longsword at them and says "What is this I hear about some dead wizard jars?"
    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Intimidation

Intimidation:
    1d20+4 5 [1d20=1]

• Options
    The 69ers

“Oh I think about it buddy. Got on it on my dartboard next to the request about me taking down my Sexy Men of the Mountains Calendar.”

Turning slightly more serious, she says, “Classic story, but be careful, they’re likely licensed to excavate there—”

But Cyr is already pointing a sword at them.

The eldest member of the archeologist’s face blooms an angry red.

“How dare you point a sword at me like I’m some common rogue! I graduated from the Antiquarian Society of Concealed Acquisition!”, they point a finger at you, “These are the burial remains of a great and influential wizard! They belong in a museum!”

The cops are busy cuffing the goblins, but they’ve noticed this argument. Time is short. You need leverage or… something.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    You can talk to literally any person here.

Also, while there will be consequences if you try something drastic, you can do anything.

Finally, you have done your job, so you can chill instead if you wish. Maybe flex your Survival skill to pocket some edibles.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fWquuWkHVP4

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Sug sits cross legged in the tree. Someone is yelling, someone is yelling back. He isn't interested in all that. The plants were here, and he could snag something lush, so to speak.

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Survival

Survival:
    1d20+5 13 [1d20=8]

• Options
    Ryder will quickly, before the teleportation back, speak with one of the elven villagers, one that looks especially serene. He speaks to them in Elven, "Hey, glad we could help out. Say, you don't happen to have any Dream Leaf, do you? Hoping I can get some for the team to celebrate our victory."

Yeah, looking for an elven drug dealer

Geth roll 1d20+3 for Persuasion

Persuasion:
    1d20+3 15 [1d20=12]

• Options
    Cyr lowers his sword, just a little abashed by the pushback. "Are you denying that removing the jars is what caused that golem's rampage? Are you not responsible for the damage to the homes of these people?"

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Sug

The only thing of note you find is a Lulu’s Pendant. A droopy little pink flower that is an ingredient in potions of psionic resistance.

If you grind it up and smoke it you will hear the thoughts of plants for 10 minutes. They’re not that insightful.

Ryder

“Wow man. You were so gnarly today. Like something from the First Age.”

They look you over, perhaps thinking of a price.

“Real tough to grow it though, you know? Say, how about you tell me a happy memory? Then I’ll give you enough for the road as thanks”

Stories and song are currency to these guys. So is, you know, Nation standard currency, but this village gets by the old fashioned way when it can.

For the price of a memory shared:
    4 x Dream Leaf
    As an action, you get so high you gain 1d6 temporary hit points and believe you can perceive the Elven gods. You gain advantage to any skill checks you make that are following the Elven gods’ advice for 1 hour.

Cyr

A couple of wood elves slink over at this revelation.

“That’s right!”

“You should have had a plan in place for golem clearance. You fell back to our village to put distance between you and the golem when you could have gone anywhere!”

From somewhere a goblin joins in, “Very thoughtless! You’ve put these poor scrumblos at risk! Think of their nethers!”

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Ryder spends the rest of the short amount of time telling the elf about the day he received delivery of a full length mirror he'd ordered. "...and I got chewed out by the captain for arriving late for training drills, but it was worth it! I looked good."

• Options
    Lyn's face is covered by her hand as she rubs her temples with thumb and finger. How could 60 seconds feel this long?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    THWOOM!!

With a sprinkle of fairy dust about you, you appear at HQ. You are in the summoning hall. It is lit gloomily by floating candles, barely illuminating the thousands of arcane symbols that cover the marble floor and mahogany walls. Portraits of the best history has to offer hang around; many with stern looks, but the true personalities of these warriors shines through in places (Dashing Mungo’s portrait is nothing but blurry speed lines).

At the far edge of the hall, up a few steps, the Wizard-Seers are already prepping for their next teleport. Ten coffees float about them at all times.
    da8i9347a4h6.jpeg
    9a322fyomvfk.jpeg
    o4qu0izrtjl3.jpeg

At the opposite end of the hall, the 55th are stepping out into the light. One of them is being carried out by their comrades. Looks like they had a tough one…

Ollie walks over, clipboard in one hand, a two-handed wrench slung over her shoulder. Looks like you need a feat to pick one of those up so easily.

“Hey gang. Weird thing, I didn’t have to fix anything. Just a momentary hitch.”, they pause and pull a face, “Anyways, good going out there. A clean run, and all without Gerome.”

Captain Gerome. The late captain Gerome. He was until recently the leader of the 69ers. Now you’re flying solo.

“Head out that way and go about your business. I… did suggest you should get a debrief, and you should, but the guys are busy right now. Monitoring a dragon heist or something. I think the 2nd are on it, you know how the top brass be.”

Mission Accomplished!

You have earned…
    20 gold coins each for minimising harm to the elves and their property.
    30 gold coins each for stopping the looting goblins!
    50 gold coins each for defeating the enraged golem!

The team as a whole has earned 1 Manifest. An intangible quality of respect, any of you can spend it on a mission to make a Persuasion check to the comms squad. Ask for what you need, and you’ll receive… something. In time the overall quality of their aid will improve with your reputation. Consider:
    - Abort the mission, teleport out.
    - Teleport in a box of healing items.
    - Get a long distance spell cast.
    - Summon a friendly elemental.
    - Connect you up on comms to an expert in some field.
    - Patch through some money, right now, to grease the wheels.

You each gain 700 experience!

With your hard earned cash, buy whatever equipment takes your eye. From the Basic Rules, so chain shirts and ball bearings, you know the drill.

If you intend to buy a magic item, you’ll need to hit up one of the dubious bazaars. Necessitating barter and with only what’s available today on offer.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Going to upgrade to studded leather from leather armor, still thinking on what else to buy.

Edit: Also grabbed some ball bearings (3 bags) and caltrops (2 bags)

Zomro on
  • Options
    @Centipede Damascus
    What is Little Osoleth, the predominately dark elf bunch of streets, known for and why is it worth visiting from time to time?

@Zomro
    What festival is coming up next in the city, and where have you been invited to attend?

@Reynolds
    Who do you look up to in Strike Force Claymore, and what weapon do they famously wield?

@AustinP0027
    What magic item are you always looking for but can never find at the bazaar?

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Sug should be looking for something that enhances his powers, makes him hit harder, better speed (being a turtle and all), or just something Druidic.

But instead he's always after magical clothing. Cool cape? Love it. Magic hat, perfect. Garish rings, sign me up. The use isn't as important as the look, you see.

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    The Unity Festival is coming up, a celebration of all the different races and cultures that make up the city. There are numerous small celebrations across the city, but also a big fair is erected with food and games. There's also a traditional parade, but most people will tell you that it's gotten pretty corporate in recent years, way too many sponsored floats.

Ryder was invited to the fair by a few different people, he has no shortage of people of all genders asking him out on dates. Ryder is currently trying to choose between the cute halfling woman from the local library or the handsome young human man that works at the mess hall at HQ. On one hand, the librarian is very smart and sweet, but the young man makes a pretty mean casserole. Ryder doesn't like the idea of disappointing either of them, and is kind of hoping that another mission comes along so he can let them both down. But if he can't go to the festival, that means missing out on all of the food, Ryder is especially fond of minotaur spanakopita.

• Options
    Considered the Ace of squad #03, "One Shot" Dario wields a massive rifle that, obviously, only holds one round. The threat of firing it is usually all he needs, as the handful of recorded uses have taken down all manner of powerful enemies in the expected one shot. Most of the time he just uses it like a club, though, because nobody wants to deal with that much property damage (or paperwork).

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Little Osoleth has a reputation for being a place where you can find anything, but it is also known as a place where things, and people, disappear and are never seen again. The rumor is that there are catacombs leading to the Underdark that have been dug underneath the neighborhood. What Cyr goes for though is the food. The dark elves have access to certain herbs, special varieties of mushrooms, and cheeses aged for years in cool, dry cellars, resulting in a cuisine you cannot get anywhere else in the city or for many miles around.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    The 69ers

You each earn 1 Inspiration die!

You forgo hitting the bazaar for magic items, and instead carry on with the rest of your day. You weren’t called on again, so you managed to take a long rest. Fully healed and packing your full list of magic and physical feats, you felt ready for the next mission…

The 2nd Mission

Big Trouble in Little Osoleth

Ryder, you’re just about to turn to leave Ball Bearings For You when you feel the ground quake, the street outside crack and dust kick up a mile high somewhere about 50 feet or more away! Cars honk, you hear a swerve!

A voice hurries on the line, “Check location, check location. One there already? Good.”

You’re all teleported before you get told what’s going down.

It’s Unity Festival day, and a parade has just been interrupted by violent anti “mixing of the pure races” protesters—but that’s not what you’re here for. Three slimy, scaly creatures have just burst from below the streets and are causing havoc in downtown Little Osoloth!

tpnzbgchktj0.jpeg

Map:
    wafoy43oncrs.jpeg

Ryder

You were already here. You’re about to leave a building.

Sug & Lyn

You teleport in a couple feet off the top of a building. You can clearly see three long reptilian beasts from your vantage point. By the looks of things, their goal is nothing more than tearing the whole place apart! They’re gnawing on flagpoles, thrashing at windows; do animals usually just… vandalise?

Cyr

You land near a shocked handsome man—wait, doesn’t he work at HQ. Serve food or something?

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    The 69ers

You have yet to be given an objective. You can actively hear HQ working out what’s going on in real time.

Initiative
    1. You
    2. The People
    3. Monsters

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    How tall is this building? What's it take to get down?

• Options
    edited May 2022
    How tall is this building? What's it take to get down?

Taking in stock of your new surroundings, you realise the buildings here are only three stories high—most dark elf buildings go down more than up.

There are drainpipes up and along the buildings, plus windowsills and the occasional balcony poking out. A medium difficulty climb, or a use of some climbing gear if you have it on you would suffice. A straight superhero landing would be 3d6 damage.

The parade floats nearby—a weird inflatable jellyfish and a very gay looking line of angels made from cloth and stuffing—would make for an interesting landing point. You’ve no idea how it’d go if you jumped onto them.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Sug quickly takes in the surroundings as much as he can. Giant snake looking creatures, protestors, and he teleported in next to Lyn but on top of a building. They need to fix these stupid teleporters.

Rushing to the edge, he looks down, trying to map a path down to the ground. He summons his thorn whip, using it to wrap around drain pipes and balcony railings as he whips down from level to level, trying to soften his landing on the ground as much as possible.

Let me know if you want a different roll here. Thorn whip is cantrip, so figure that's ok to use over and over on the way down.

Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Acrobatics

Acrobatics:
    1d20+2 14 [1d20=12]

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Guessing the angry looking faces are the "protesters". Might not be too happy to see a military presence while they're stirring up trouble.

"Come on, you still could've teleported me! It's still the flashiest form of entry!"

Ryder needs to get to his team, he's got one of these creatures inside and he can hear another out the door. "Sorry, send the bill to Claymore!" Ryder calls out as he runs and jumps through a glass window out onto the main street. When he lands he rolls back up and prepares to avoid whatever harm may come his way.

If I can leave the building I'm in to the east (flavored as jumping through the window); I'd like to get as close to my teammates with a single move and then take the Dodge action. Going to roll Athletics to smash through the window. Gonna drop inspiration on it to hoepfully avoid a nat 1

Geth roll 2d20k1+2 for Athletics

Athletics:
    2d20k1+2 17 [2d20k1=[15], 1]

Zomro on
  • Options
    Sug

You plant-bend your way to the street, leaving behind a trail of quickly flowering vines!

You land behind some guys in absolutely poxy outfits, just the worst kind of people. They’re supposed to be dressed like authentic dark elves from the Golden Age. Never mind that this supposed Golden Age was before indoor toilets, half the map was carved up by tyrants and slavery in various styles was in full swing.

eqhjz2wshwy8.jpeg

They’re shouting the sorts of things these douches shout at the people in the parade. Now those guys? Those guys get it.

You got your mushroom-man in a dress designed to look like raspberry ice cream. A proud Dragonborn lady—oh, she’s got her kids with her too. Someone’s grandma. A person that could be an orc or a dwarf wearing a swanky pinstripe suit and a feather boa. Right at the back, a laidback bare-chested woman covered in glitter, could be anything honestly, these ape type people are hard to tell apart. Good honest folk.

5rsislhj051b.jpeg

Ryder

Absolutely unnecessary. The door was open. The cashier, a tanned, middle-aged human with shiny black hair, pulls an exasperated expression with his hands in the air as you careen through the window.

Map:
    hpuhwfg5akul.jpeg

All the creatures are outside, if it’s not clear.

• Options

Ryder

Absolutely unnecessary. The door was open. The cashier, a tanned, middle-aged human with shiny black hair, pulls an exasperated expression with his hands in the air as you careen through the window.

Absolutely unnecessary is Ryder's middle name. Or, at least it is in elven.

• Options
    Lyn drops the few feet to the roof of the building, swaying briefly. "You again!? What are we...oh, monsters, right." She takes a good look off the edge before backing up, getting a running start to leap off towards the western monster. Her uniform nicely flutters with magical wind, as energy once more crackles around her spear. If she aims this right, she'll drift right into the creature for a surprise attack.

Using Gift, then casting Feather Fall.
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Acrobatics
    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Spear Attack
    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Spear Attack (Inspiration)
    Geth, roll 1d8+4 for Death From Above
    Geth, roll 1d4 for Lightning Strike

Acrobatics:
    1d20+5 10 [1d20=5]
    Spear Attack:
    1d20+6 17 [1d20=11]
    Spear Attack (Inspiration):
    1d20+6 9 [1d20=3]
    Death From Above:
    1d8+4 6 [1d8=2]
    Lightning Strike:
    1d4 3 [1d4=3]

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Lyn

You barely manage to make the leap, and stumble into the beast. Your spear finds its mark however, sticking deep into its side. It lets out a ferocious hiss! …you’re certain it’s going to death roll you.

Your spear is stuck in the reptilian monster! When it moves, so will you!

The 69ers

You all hear a calm voice through your earpieces, evidently a high ranking member of the comms squad, “Good day. This is Fulcrum speaking. The 3rd were sent to investigate a missing person’s case as there was suspected foul play involved that would require an elite response due to the level of danger.”, they take a breath, “They should currently be beneath the very streets you are standing on. An incomplete subway tunnel runs under the length of Little Osoleth, part of a project the previous mayor backed out of, to connect this area to the wider reaches of the city. As you may now realise, the 3rd are missing in action.”

“A better equipped team will be arriving as soon as possible.”, there isn’t a hint of scorn, they’re just extremely practical, “In the meantime, save lives. If possible, kill the damn things, then try to examine where they’ve come from. Gods speed. Fulcrum out.”

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    "Oh, hello! Fancy seeing you here!" Cyr smiles and waves at the handsome man whose name he cannot seem to remember as he turns to survey the chaos. "Well, see you around!" he says as he runs diagonally to the South-West and hefts a javelin, which he hurls at the serpent thing.
    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Attack
    Geth roll 1d6+4 for Damage

Attack:
    1d20+4 23 [1d20=19]
    Damage:
    1d6+4 10 [1d6=6]

• Options
    Cyr

The javelin pierced the beast through the neck! It writhes in pain, then turns to face you. You are its next target.

You realise it was about to attack someone on the roof! Some tiny woman in glasses…

• Options
    edited May 2022
    The ‘Protesters’

“What the Hells! Where’d you come from dragon-spawn?”, one spits out at Sug, “Ah, damn. Stay out of this Claymud!”

Okay, so first you’re not related to dragons, probably, and that is the first time you’ve heard that second line. That’s a crummy remark.

A practised defensive mechanism, another simply crows, “Free speech.”

They make a move to get up in the people of the parade’s face.

Parade People

The mushroom-man drag queen headbutts one of the assholes, knocking them out.

“Get wrecked! Bitch!”, someone’s grandma shouts.

Romantic Rascals

Up on the roof opposite Cyr, a tiny woman throws a book at the beast, then runs away to the building’s edge. They falter, skidding to a halt and gulping from the height.

On the ground, next to Cyr, the handsome man points at the beast.

“Oh shit!”

Then they start trying to climb up a drainpipe. It’s a damn fine effort!

Geth roll 1d20 for Handsome

Handsome:
    1d20 18 [1d20=18]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Reptilian Beasts

In tandem, the beasts each like out a shrill roar!

The one Cyr just struck leaps to the edge of the building and opens its mouth unnaturally far! It spits out a gout of acidic bile!

The beast shakes its head after, the act evidently harming it too.

Geth roll 1d20 for Puke
    Geth roll 3d8 for Damage
    Geth roll 1d8 for Problem

Lyn! The beast attempts to roll onto you, crushing you under its own weight!

Lyn! Make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, you will take full damage. If you succeed, you take half and release your weapon.

Only 4 damage at max.

Geth roll 1d12 for Death Roll

On the main street, Ryder is set upon by the last beast! It sweeps its body like whip, trying to take him off his feet!

…it misses completely, taking out a street sign instead!

Geth roll 1d20+2 for Swing
    Geth roll 2d6+2 for Damage

Puke:
    1d20 15 [1d20=15]
    Damage:
    3d8 13 [3d8=5, 7, 1]
    Problem:
    1d8 1 [1d8=1]
    Death Roll:
    1d12 4 [1d12=4]
    Swing:
    1d20+2 3 [1d20=1]