As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bringing tobacco from france

limester816limester816 Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey all, I'm in Paris right now, and I want to bring some cigars/cigarillos back to the states, but I'm not entirely sure of the rules. Can I bring back Cubans? What is the limit? Do they check you for tobacco products in customs/Do you have to declare it if you're under the limit?

Also, what are some good products to buy here in Paris, there's as many French/European brands as there are Latin-American.

Thanks!

limester816 on

• Options
    Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hey all, I'm in Paris right now, and I want to bring some cigars/cigarillos back to the states, but I'm not entirely sure of the rules. Can I bring back Cubans? What is the limit? Do they check you for tobacco products in customs/Do you have to declare it if you're under the limit?

Also, what are some good products to buy here in Paris, there's as many French/European brands as there are Latin-American.

Thanks!

You cannot bring Cubans over the border, legally, in any way.

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    And I assume it's risky to do it?

limester816 on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've brought Cubans over. They tend to not care. It is illegal, technically, but I also brought back a bottle of Absinthe, my bags were checked at customs at LaGuardia, and nothing was done.

Not to derail anything, but I have a large, full tiger skin that I inherited from India. I know it's illegal, but I'm pretty sure it's from the 60s or 70s when it was still legal to hunt tigers. Is there any way to get it checked and authorized so I can bring it to America? I don't expect a solution, but you never know.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    wow, that's really cool (the tiger skin). yea, I think I'll try to bring back some coronas or something. thanks for the info

limester816 on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    aren't you not supposed to give illegal advice?

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I was only sharing my own experience, I never said he should do it.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    after looking around a little, I've found that you should be okay bringing cigars back to the states (as long as they're not Cubans). However, I can't find specifics on how much is allowed.

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    here we go, here's something at least

http://www.cigars-of-cuba.com/faq/faq_us.asp

Raneados on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I brought back sake and other alcohol from Japan when I was 18. The customs never even looked at my bags. What I'm getting at here is that luggage that has been checked doesn't get inspected and if the country it was checked in thinks that Cubans are fine, you will probably get away with this heinous crime.

BTW Raneados, the amount allowed is a dollar value amount. I'm pretty sure it's got to be less than 1000 or so or the US assumes you're importing things for sale inside the country. So if you're bringing back 100 bucks worth of cigars in your carry-on or whatever you're probably going to be ok. You might want to keep receipts just in case though.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Gafoto wrote: »
    I brought back sake and other alcohol from Japan when I was 18. The customs never even looked at my bags. What I'm getting at here is that luggage that has been checked doesn't get inspected and if the country it was checked in thinks that Cubans are fine, you will probably get away with this heinous crime.

This isn't true. On my return flights to Canada from Greece, my family and I have had luggage opened. That's part of the point of customs, that the country you're leaving may not care what is in your bags, but the country you're going into might.

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    BlazeFire wrote: »

This isn't true. On my return flights to Canada from Greece, my family and I have had luggage opened. That's part of the point of customs, that the country you're leaving may not care what is in your bags, but the country you're going into might.

My bags were opened, too, and they clearly saw the bottle of absinthe and a box of cigars, and didn't say anything, even though my passport, which they also looked at, said I was 16.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Try going to a nice cigar shop and ask the clerk what they recommend. Odds are you'll find something of equal or greater quality to the Cubans, except you know, they just lack that whole "can't have them in the US" mystique.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    BlazeFire wrote: »

My bags were opened, too, and they clearly saw the bottle of absinthe and a box of cigars, and didn't say anything, even though my passport, which they also looked at, said I was 16.

I'm just sharing my experience. I was coming back from Japan if that made any difference.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg