Options

2nd monitor not being detected issue (solved)

BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
Bit of tech support help needed, couldn't find anything of use with an internet search. Friend of mine's second monitor stopped being detected by her laptop after some sort of graphics driver error crash and recovery. The monitor itself still has power, reports no signal detected. Basic troubleshooting turned up nothing: it's not detecting anything plugged in except the laptop's screen, power cycling the monitor did nothing, unpluging the HDMI cable and plugging it back in did nothing, rebooting the laptop did nothing, there's no driver updates for the GPU or anything. The monitor is apparently an about a decade old small TV, so it might just be dead. Any chance of resuscitation?

BahamutZERO.gif
BahamutZERO on

• Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    If your friends has a notebook with an Intel CPU/iGPU und a dGPU (amd, Nvidia), make sure that the driver for both is correctly installed. I was in a similar situation. After a Windows update the intel graphic driver got uninstalled and I couldn’t use any external output. Depending on the implementation one of the GPUs or in some cases all might manage different external ports and connectivity.

• Options
    That seems like it could be the issue, how would one go about checking if the integrated graphics driver is still there and fixing it if not? Download a driver off the laptop manufacturer's page and install it?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    If you're worried about the monitor itself, isn't the first thing to plug in literally anything else? Could be a console or a cable box even.

• Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    That seems like it could be the issue, how would one go about checking if the integrated graphics driver is still there and fixing it if not? Download a driver off the laptop manufacturer's page and install it?

Also check if the second screen isn’t simply disabled. You can press windows + P to quickly change between expanding the desktop or mirroring it.
    For driver installation,Device manager and then Windows Updates would be first places to look. Otherwise, manufacturers website and then component website (intel or whatever is used).
    As last resort you can use the only driver downloader I trust, Snappy driver Installer origin https://www.snappy-driver-installer.org/ but it’s a hefty 20GB download. It supports Windows version down to XP (I think even Windows 9x, I am not sure), but it’s great for EOL systems or older OS, I haven’t used it on Windows 11 though.

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    It's not windows+P being set wrong, that was the first thing we checked. Reinstalling the integrated graphics drivers also didn't seem to do anything.
    Also she's tested the old monitor now and it still works with other devices so the issue's definitely in the laptop somewhere. Maybe the HDMI port failed.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Final update on this: we reinstalled her integrated graphics from the laptop manufacturer's site as mentioned last post, then reinstalled the discreet GPU's drivers. This didn't seem to fix it at first, but she unplugged the tv from the HDMI port and then plugged it back in a few days after that and THEN it started working again. Not sure which step actually fixed it, as unplugging the monitor didn't help originally.

BahamutZERO.gif