As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Roe v Wade is being overturned.

facetiousfacetious a wit so dryit shits sandRegistered User regular
"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    for fucks sake

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I just saw this on the musk bird site myself and yeah

I'm really really angry

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Knew it was coming with this court eventually, but no less angry it's happened.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Fuck them.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    This country is fucked

Also can't wait for the democrats who control literally every other branch of government to do exactly fuck all about this

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the spineless cowards of the dnc had 50 years to build up a better defense for human rights than going "well hope no one in the court changes their mind lol" and they sat down and they jerked off

liEt3nH.png
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Once again, I want to jump into the this thread early to make sure everyone remembers that these forums are publicly indexed and to be careful with your words

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer

So.

Where do we go from here? Zero chance of fixing this with the current court lineup, so the legal avenue is out as far as I'm aware. Is the only solution available being to wait for the conservative side to die off and hope it's during a period Democrats have the Presidency and Senate majority so their seats are more likely to be filled by liberal judges then challenging again however many years from now that future moment is if it ever even comes to pass?

make 2020 look like foreplay

liEt3nH.png
    Can't wait for them to go after contraception next. Then making past abortions illegal. Right to privacy, etc. Fuckin' shame no one in Congress ever thought to codify those rights into law at any point in the last 50 years.

just think of the fundraising opportunities!

liEt3nH.png
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Madican wrote: »
    So.

Where do we go from here? Zero chance of fixing this with the current court lineup, so the legal avenue is out as far as I'm aware. Is the only solution available being to wait for the conservative side to die off and hope it's during a period Democrats have the Presidency and Senate majority so their seats are more likely to be filled by liberal judges then challenging again however many years from now that future moment is if it ever even comes to pass?

I would say that waiting for some hypothetical better court is not an option, and that the Democratic party has to sort their shit out immediately or fail an entire generation of people. They aren't going to stop with abortion, they're going after whatever they can get their hands on.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    So.

Probably. That would also depend on the Dems having spines, which is not a smart bet.

aTBDrQE.jpg
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    So.

I would say that waiting for some hypothetical better court is not an option, and that the Democratic party has to sort their shit out immediately or fail an entire generation of people. They aren't going to stop with abortion, they're going after whatever they can get their hands on.

The democratic party either immediately deals with this in whatever way they can, or the democratic party ceases to exist as the voting bloc supporting it finds politicians that can.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I can't help but think that if access to legal abortion and same-sex marriage are lost while the democratic party holds control of the white house, the senate, and the house that's... I don't see how the party survives that.

How they ought to survive that.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    I've maintained for a long time the whole thing keeping the country together is people's view of the supreme court as legitimate.

And that's gone tonight as they strip away people's rights.

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    facetious wrote: »

Communicate, Organize, Contest.

Children's rights are human rights.
    the gop is a christian fascist cult and the DNC goes out drinking with them

it is time to show that they have even the slightest understanding of the real world that the rest of us live in, or it is time for them to open the lost ark at the end of indiana jones

liEt3nH.png
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I can't help but think that if access to legal abortion and same-sex marriage are lost while the democratic party holds control of the white house, the senate, and the house that's... I don't see how the party survives that.

they'll survive by still being better than the gop

but they probably won't ever be in power again

Like I said, either deal with it immediately or cease to exist as political organization with any actual power and authority.

• MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    So.

Democracy and electoralism will not save us. The Democrats are fascists as surely as the Right, just one favors corporatism and the other a 'Christian'* death cult.

But like Gnome said, they are so afraid of protests they've written laws making them functionally illegal for non-white fascists. Taking it in front of their churches, in front of their offices, in front of the country clubs and yacht docks is the only thing that's going to make them uncomfortable enough to relent.

if they sit on their nuts and are like "well it's still under deliberation we're not gonna comment on it it's not proper" they lose right then and there

liEt3nH.png
    So.

Not gonna lie, I forgot the Democrats can technically sidestep this ruling and codify access to legal abortions (among other things) into law. Because they've done so little up to now they never registered as an actual realistic option. Or at least not while Manchin can block stuff. Maybe Sinema too, I can't get a bead on her lunacy.

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Don't have anything constructive to add other than this country fucking sucks ass

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Once again, I want to jump into the this thread early to make sure everyone remembers that these forums are publicly indexed and to be careful with your words

Wishing for a Robots.txt but for specific posts, then, because I sure got a lot of shit that shouldn't be indexed to say about the supreme court

l3icwZV.png
  • Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    Wow, fuck all that.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

This supreme court doesn't give a SHIT about any of that

They'll do whatever the fuck they want and overturn whatever the fuck they feel like, Congressional law or whatever

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • notyanotya Registered User regular
    So.

Not gonna lie, I forgot the Democrats can technically sidestep this ruling and codify access to legal abortions (among other things) into law. Because they've done so little up to now they never registered as an actual realistic option. Or at least not while Manchin can block stuff. Maybe Sinema too, I can't get a bead on her lunacy.

and it's crazy that the supreme court is deciding this shit! Congress should be deciding this shit! FFS, dems better step up. Even fucking collins should step up and make it a law.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I was expecting this to happen soon but I don't think I was prepared for how absolutely furious I am

I don't handle anger well believe it or not. Tend to push it down whenever I feel it but right now it's the alternative to deep sadness.

Other than that I don't have anything else to say. Wish I had something constructive to put this energy into.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah this shows that all bets are off. I did not expect them to take the shot, as conservatives are hypocritical ghouls who secretly want abortion to avoid any family incidents from becoming public, but this shows they give no fucks.

If democrats think they can keep relying on the threat of shit getting worse to protect, as shit actively gets worse on their watch, then the party will die as pissed-off people overthrow the party of decaying, useless boomers and their lickspittles that are just Diet Corporate Bootlicks.

YL9WnCY.png
    obama campaigned on codifying it into law!!!

barack obama!!! the guy who came into the office in 2009!!!!

liEt3nH.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I mean this shit was guaranteed to happen the moment the democratic party made it clear they had no interest in expanding the court.

I would put money on some dnc organizers getting giddy at this news because think of all the fundraising this could drive. The fucking ghouls.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Cool

cool, cool, cool, cool, cool

very cool and not at all terrifying

Can't wait for all the think pieces blaming this on Bernie and progressives who were less than thrilled to have to vote for Biden, but did anyway, and who dare - DARE, I SAY! - voice their disappointment over his bullshit broken promises and general uselessness in the face of the unwavering tide of fascism

"B-But, Sinema! And Manchin! Just vote!" Fuck you, and fuck your dumbass party

vEaRQgH.png
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    There were like, a lot of people in law school with me who kept arguing, "no its ridiculous, they would never overturn something with that much precedent".

And I kept telling them they were POSs but they kept up with the same bullshit.

I do not feel great about this development.

HeadCreeps wrote: »
    Cool

cool, cool, cool, cool, cool

very cool and not at all terrifying

Can't wait for all the think pieces blaming this on Bernie and progressives who were less than thrilled to have to vote for Biden, but did anyway, and who dare - DARE, I SAY! - voice their disappointment over his bullshit broken promises and general uselessness in the face of the unwavering tide of fascism

"B-But, Sinema! And Manchin! Just vote!" Fuck you, and fuck your dumbass party

i've already seen people going "we warned you in 2016"

CLINTON'S RUNNING MATE WAS ANTI-ABORTION DOGGS

liEt3nH.png