As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Home Security Cameras with good mobile app?

I'm looking to replace a 4 PoE Camera Lorex system with something that has a much friendlier mobile app for users that aren't super tech savvy.

If they were in stock, I would go with those Elite Ring Cameras with PoE but they're listed as out of stock on the website. I consider the Ring app to be the easiest to use. I see they have their battery powered wireless cams with solar panels. That could be an option, but not sure if the owner would want that much hardware on the house vs just a small camera.

I've also seen Arlo and Eufy suggested. Eufy being an option not requiring a subscription. Both still have the problem of mounting extra solar panel hardware.

I also saw Reolink suggested. I've never heard of them before. They do have a PoE option and they don't require a subscription to use. Their app doesn't look as easy as the Ring app, but I think it's good enough.

Any other recommendations?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    There's also Blink. They use a couple AA batteries but typically last at least six months depending on how often they're activated and the temperature. They're also a bit cheaper than the others, usually.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Also the Nest cam line from Google to look at as well.

Most of the good ones will probably require a subscription for at least some of the features since you know you're using their servers to make the mobile app work. There are definitely options that don't but you should be prepared for the fact that if you want a good experience with a cloud managed security system there's a decent chance you're going to have to pay for a subscription.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    You could do something like a wired Lorex system and use their app for remote viewing, but that means wiring a bunch of cameras around the house.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ColanutColanut Siedge WealdRegistered User regular
    I have the Eufy doorbell cam and like it. I like on-prem/ no sub data and the app lets me check in on the video pretty easy. As far as I know, they do have cams with solar built in. Eventually I’m looking to add in a solar outdoor cam for the back door/carport. But I’ve only done superficial research.

I didn’t have much expectation for the app, but it does what I need it to do. Bonus for checking up on the cat sitters while out of state on vacation. Also, I could startle my mom when she comes over to work in the yard with via the doorbell cam audio.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    There's also Blink. They use a couple AA batteries but typically last at least six months depending on how often they're activated and the temperature. They're also a bit cheaper than the others, usually.

I've got some older Blinks.

They're ok. A lot of noise on the image so it's hard to see details. Can certainly see a person or dog or bigger stuff.

App is good. Can set schedules, active zones, see live or recorded video or just take a picture.

Actually looking at getting rid of them since a) quality, and b) owned by Amazon in combo with iRobot is creeping me out.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    swphreak wrote: »
    I'm looking to replace a 4 PoE Camera Lorex system with something that has a much friendlier mobile app for users that aren't super tech savvy.

If they were in stock, I would go with those Elite Ring Cameras with PoE but they're listed as out of stock on the website. I consider the Ring app to be the easiest to use. I see they have their battery powered wireless cams with solar panels. That could be an option, but not sure if the owner would want that much hardware on the house vs just a small camera.

I've also seen Arlo and Eufy suggested. Eufy being an option not requiring a subscription. Both still have the problem of mounting extra solar panel hardware.

I also saw Reolink suggested. I've never heard of them before. They do have a PoE option and they don't require a subscription to use. Their app doesn't look as easy as the Ring app, but I think it's good enough.

Any other recommendations?

The EufyCam 3 / Base Station 3 just launched with built-in solar panels and the ability to put a hard drive on the base station. I ordered the 2 camera set myself to supplement my Eufy spotlight cam and Dual Doorbell Cam.

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984