As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tokusatsu] Ultraman Arc July 26! teaser on latest page!

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Bad belts is absolutely the main reason I skipped many shows. They've gotten really goofy.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Also in this week's Kamen Rider Geats, everyone's dead. Show's over. Dunno why they're bothering to advertise powerups!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    New Scans for Geats
    full shots of Boost MkII AND it combines with the gun and, seemingly, Jin’s form:

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    https://youtu.be/92wLt-nIZuk

Blazer Teaser is making the rounds

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2023

Justice may not have a specifically designated label, but what's been confirmed through the Ultraman Age magazine is that:
    1. Justice is neither fully male nor female, despite being portrayed by women
    2. Justice's existence transcends the concept of gender entirely

The closest thing that we get to a gender label is 中性的, literally translating to "neutral/middle gender" or "that which cannot be described as male or female"

Nonbinary Ultra

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited February 2023

Not surprisingly, the Donbrothers and Zenkaigers will be crossing over.

EDIT: And it looks like we'll be seeing some upgrades for a pair of Riders next time on Kamen Rider Geats.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I started watching Black, and it's great so far.

Ten minutes in, and Kotaru already got his bike, his suit, and killed no fewer than five bat monsters.

And not long after I'm pretty sure I saw a dog dressed as a cheetah, then a Resident Evil 4 cultist episode.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Lanz wrote: »

Has anyone bought memorial edition stuff, are they good. I definitely want this donblaster but I was also really considering the kiramei changer. love me some kiramager

• Options
    Whippy wrote: »

Has anyone bought memorial edition stuff, are they good. I definitely want this donblaster but I was also really considering the kiramei changer. love me some kiramager

My understanding is they’re pretty good, though I think the Gokaiger Mobirates memorial edition was plagued with some QA issues among some of the batch

Still it’s a hundred plus dollar Bandai-made toy/replica, so there’s definitely a “it will at least be worth the cash” baseline you can typically count on

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    if I get a mobirates I’d have to get every key and down that path lie madness

• Options
    edited February 2023

I settled for every Red up until the show (and maybe one after) and a few others for characters I specifically liked. I have a treasure chest full and everything.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options

Oh Whippy

Oh whippy

https://youtu.be/Dw7jh48ulMw

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options

Akira Takahashi (artist/designer on Kamen Rider and many other Toei hero programs) passed away earlier this month. RIP

『仮面ライダー』など美術デザイナー・高橋章さん死去 84歳 東映作品を長年支える(オリコン)
    #Yahooニュース

I was just reading about him the other day. He's one of the unsung heroes of the original series, responsible for designing many of the monsters (Ishinomori did initial sketches for the first few, but as he was doing A LOT in those days, many MOTW came from Takahashi's mind)

Often working with low funds and tight deadlines, he would help craft the look of the original show, such as the Shocker base designs and motifs, and the iconic Tachibana Racing Club logo still associated with Rider 1 & 2 (and heck, the franchise) today. Up there with the greats.

Farewell Takahashi, and thank you

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options

Oh Whippy

Oh whippy

lanz i love you but this is a forty minute video, gimme a little more context

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Black has blessed the unworthy:
    g2xk3tqld66z.png

Thank you, Lord Flea Monster.
    x8gmw2hch860.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

Oh Whippy

Oh whippy

lanz i love you but this is a forty minute video, gimme a little more context

I am tempting you with Mobirates Memorial Edition Ranger Keys

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Yo Kamen Rider Black is fucking trippy

Just curious, not complaining, does the story become more… cohesive(?) over time? And why do people love Black so much?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options

Just curious, not complaining, does the story become more… cohesive(?) over time? And why do people love Black so much?

I think that's what people like about it.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I mean that’s fair, I’m certainly enjoying it so far

Pretty sure that goatman jacked off his horns and shot fire from his dick

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options

Holy shiiiiiit that sequence

Also damn That practical puppet rig is good

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    I mean that’s fair, I’m certainly enjoying it so far

Pretty sure that goatman jacked off his horns and shot fire from his dick

This next episode looks like it straight up has Sailor Neptune in it.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

if you finish/bounce off black, I heartily recommend kamen rider black sun. It’s a…mostly legible and cohesive retelling of black. there’s one spoilery part near the end I didn’t care for personally, and also a LOT of gore that I can see maybe turning people away, so I’d say it’s like 95% a really great show I liked a whole heck of a lot

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Did they just blow the whole season budget on episode 1 or what. That king-ohger fight was amazing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2023

if you finish/bounce off black, I heartily recommend kamen rider black sun. It’s a…mostly legible and cohesive retelling of black. there’s one spoilery part near the end I didn’t care for personally, and also a LOT of gore that I can see maybe turning people away, so I’d say it’s like 95% a really great show I liked a whole heck of a lot

Kamen Rider Black Sun, aka “let’s talk about how much the Liberal Democratic Pa— Err, ‘Gorgom Party’ is a force of real evil and must be destroyed for the sake of the people.”

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    What I really like about Kamen Rider Black is the first episode. It seemed very cinematic and it felt like it could have been one of those old action sci-fi movies. After that I recall the series being pretty decent aside from a few episodes.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Randomly started watching some of Tokushoutsu after poking around on Pluto. May need to watch through some of these shows from the start. Mainly the 60s-70s eras most likely. Caught some Return of Ultraman and Ultraman Leo. Also some R/B, but the more modern shows don't do quite as much for me.
    Also watched some of the super sentai the original Power Rangers pulled from which was kind of wild to see. The summoning of The Great Satan and Franky's turn from Party City Frankenstein Monster to hell beast.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    The fight between Geki and Burai, the red and green rangers, feels very different in Zyuranger than it does in PR. The music and story put it in a completely different context.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    The fight between Geki and Burai, the red and green rangers, feels very different in Zyuranger than it does in PR. The music and story put it in a completely different context.

In general, the vibe between the two shows is hugely different, no matter the version. I always find Power rangers very, well, cringey. Maybe it's just the language barrier, but i'm not so sure - Super Sentai always feels earnest in a way that Power Rangers does not. I get a similar vibe from a lot of the voice acting in dub vs subs. Dunno how to put it.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Looks like some places are clearancing out some of the steelbook editions of the early Ultraman sets to make way for a regular packaging version.
    Picked up the first couple on the cheap.

• Options
    Episode 7 of Black, The Devil Trill Sonata, was straight out of an episode of Sailor Moon.

Only Kotaro can stop Gorgom from manipulating a gifted violinist into using her music to spread madness and chaos, by defeating the wretched Cicada Monster.

h5xn7kspuzht.png

Episode 8's focus? On b-girl battles.

How is this not the greatest show ever made?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Started in on Ultra Q, couple episodes a night with our more usual shows.
    Some stand outs from last night.

SOS Mount Fuji, both mysterious volcanic activity plus a "tarzan of the forest". Once the earth spits out a glowing orb that makes a giant rock monster it leads to a full on Shadow of the Colossus struggle as the young tarzan type clings to the monster as it runs around until he can pull himself to the glowing weak point.

Grow Up Little Turtle was a real fever dream episode featuring inept bank robbers, a home alone face slap and mystical ride on a giant turtle through walls the sky and ocean to get to a magical realm. I half expected the episodes punchline to be a Jacob's Ladder ending or a dream. But I guess I just don't believe the kid anymore than the cackling adults.

• Options
    Peguila! Peguila! Peguila!

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I thought the $15 apiece for Ultra Q and Ultraman was pretty good but they're down to $8 now on Best Buy. Ultraseven was already 9 when I grabbed them.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    Heads up, Generation Kikaida looks to be shutting down in June:

GK’s official licenses include:
    - Kikaida
    - Kikaida 01
    - Kamen Rider V3
    - Inazuman

a good chunk of the original Kikaida is sold out it looks like, but V3 is still available, as are Inazuman and Kikaida 01

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    More Ultra Q.
    Ok sure big mole, that's fine.
    Giant ghost spider, ok that's cool.

But forget those. I had to remind myself what the episode before the spider one was about. It matters so little now. Because The Underground Super Express Goes West is the funniest thing I've watched in a while. Chef's kiss. Nothing's going to top that.