As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tokusatsu] Ultraman Arc July 26! teaser on latest page!

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    I for real JUST finished watching Sharivan

Don’t leave me hanging, I need the review

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    This was a fansub, I don't know what the official discs are like.

If you've seen Gavan, you know what you're in for. It's very similar. So if you want more of that, go for it.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I’ve actually never watched any metal hero shows

Really I’ve only stuck to Kamen Rider, except for like MMPR as a kid

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Well, it's Showa-era, so if you've seen a showa Kamen Rider, you might have a decent idea. The setup and ideas are throwaway nonsense, there only to have excuse for monsters to show up and for the hero to fight and transform and fight some more, and call in his various forms of transportation, like a dimension-hopping bike or a flying tank or a transforming spaceship. The action often uses reverse motion and quintuple zoom, presumably to save on film budget. You'll also see the same finisher move and the same death explosion on every single monster. It has a banger soundtrack, and you'll hear every track every episode.

Women are set dressing at best, and either the cause of or unwitting victim of the evil plot of the week. Several episodes across both Gavan and Sharivan feature the villain mind-controlling women into shirking their domestic duties, which throws all of society out of whack, and it's up to the hero to get things back on course. That is to say, please don't be surprised that the assumptions made about various people and roles are somewhat regressive, the show is 41 years old.

All of that applies to both Gavan and Sharivan, btw.

Do I recommend it? I don't know! I watched it as a group, one episode a week as part of a larger weekly Toku Night where we watch other stuff too, and we feel free to talk over the show and make jokes or get really invested and dig into the characters and stories if we want. So my experience is tied up in that group, as well as the show itself. Having seen these two seasons, I can say I don't think I would watch any Metal Heroes by myself.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Gavan's cool in the crossover movie with Gokaiger.

• Options
    I appreciate the review! Sounds like I may not really enjoy it. The oldest Rider I’ve watched is Black, which didn’t hold my attention for long periods. I think I need a bit more cohesiveness. Kuuga was great.

It’s a bummer because Metal Heroes aesthetically are 100% my jam, love cool robot power armor dudes

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    [watches Kyoryuger more]

[sees Ramirez]

[brain clicks]

Wait a goddamn second is his name…

[goes to the wiki]
    Etymology

Ramirez's name is derived from Juan Sánchez-Villalobos Ramírez, a main character from a 1986 British fantasy action-adventure film Highlander.

I KNEW IT

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    A trailer for the next episode of Kamen Rider Outsiders is up and it's in the box due to the video's screencap spoiling two additions.

• Options
    Folks, an era has ended:

uxwx42azh50p.jpeg

Toei went and made CGI that doesn’t look like a shiny plastic ghost haunting the footage, and actually has shaders applied that makes it look like part of the scene.

I feel like they’ve been using that same specific aesthetic since Gaoranger and Ryuki.

Truly, Heisei Toei has come to is end.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited March 4
    Also thinking about Kyoryuger some more, does anyone else find it hilarious that Ramirez is supposedly from, like, the 1500s but dresses like he’s a Greek hero somewhere in the last few hundred years CE?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yoooo the actors in Geats had some out-of-costume fight scenes! That surprised the hell outta me, I thought they always swapped out for stuntmen when they transform, so the actors don't necessarily know how to fight.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    If you watch an entire series, you'll always notice the actors steadily doing more stunts and fights as they get on the job training over the year of filming.

Then there's Kabuto, where Tak Sakaguchi guest stars and just goes ham every fight scene.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/RCKT9h5BdQ8

A re-release of the upcoming Geats V-Cinema's trailer was put online to show off the movie's theme song, Dangerously.

• Options
    edited March 8
    Owenashi wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/RCKT9h5BdQ8

A re-release of the upcoming Geats V-Cinema's trailer was put online to show off the movie's theme song, Dangerously.

Wait how is it dangerous to show off the theme?
    :V :V :V :V :V :V :V

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
  • Options
    A commercial for Kamen Rider Legend's upgrade item aired this weekend, showing off his new form in the process.
    https://youtu.be/YaZ8U78GNcM

6seqjDf.jpg

Certainly comes off looking better then Decade's Complete-21 form but we'll see if it keeps looking alright when in action.

• Options
    A commercial for Kamen Rider Legend's upgrade item aired this weekend, showing off his new form in the process.
    https://youtu.be/YaZ8U78GNcM

6seqjDf.jpg

Certainly comes off looking better then Decade's Complete-21 form but we'll see if it keeps looking alright when in action.
    It’s better than even the original ultimate form for Decade, if only because they realized the card on the head needed to be a small decoration instead of a giant card rising between antennae

I can understand why Complete-21ms cape was as awful as it was, but it’s one of those things where you can see an instantly better version of it that would have looked great if, say, instead of glueing cards awkwardly spaced across a vinyl cape that it was, say, even just a cloth cape that had the cards printed into it. Maybe keep magenta borders, but make them thin and accent the card designs more instead of feeling like someone just dropped them on the thing

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Tokusatsu is now officially part of English.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    A new hype poster for Kamen Rider Gotchard was apparently released. Boxed for known upgrade spoilers.
    w0HyWyJ.jpg

Let's see if Legend actually does something of note seeing he popped up in the last one for no real reason.

• Options
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Toku creators, i am begging you. BEGGGING YOU. stop doing these all-the-cards forms where you simply jam every single card onto the form. It looks like utter crap. You made it work, once, and that was Blade's king form, where it was stylized as hell.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Toku creators, i am begging you. BEGGGING YOU. stop doing these all-the-cards forms where you simply jam every single card onto the form. It looks like utter crap. You made it work, once, and that was Blade's king form, where it was stylized as hell.

To be fair, Legend's a Decade fanboy so it makes sense he'd model his upgrade on Decade Complete.

• Options
    I think Legend’s works a lot better, thoughI’m having trouble articulating the why at the moment. It’s definitely because its already so garish that the business doens’t detract the way it did Decade Complete

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Mind you, I don't mind the look of the original Decade Complete. It's Complete-21 which is a bit of a mess. And again, I need to wait and see how Legend's upgrade looks in motion before rendering a final judgement.

• Options
    Mind you, I don't mind the look of the original Decade Complete. It's Complete-21 which is a bit of a mess. And again, I need to wait and see how Legend's upgrade looks in motion before rendering a final judgement.

Even original Decade Complete I think has an issue where the card on the head just feels wonky as a design choice, in a way that Legend’s somehow works despite being the same idea.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Tanukisatsu

• Options
    https://youtu.be/9F6I1Dwl1R4

Unexpected crossover if not a late April Fools' joke.

• Options
    Tanukisatsu

k4o9khx2ixv0.jpeg

1qzegv8ff8id.jpeg

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
  • Options
    Protagonist is a rookie Kaiju researcher, Yuma, with the Scientific Kaiju Investigation and Prevention (SKIP) center

oqaasvx70vni.jpeg

As a child during a Kaiju attack, Yuma witnessed the appearance of a being of light. Now, that being, Rution, appears before him again as disaster unfolds, telling him “You and I are one and the same! Unleash your imagination!”

Bonding together and using the Arc Cube and Arc Ariser, Yuma and Rution become Ultraman Arc:

kbkqdi35c495.jpeg
    atep6twe1yxj.jpeg
    qlpxmcjf9a4i.jpeg
    6o5ymxf73zlt.jpeg

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 7
    Trailer for Outsiders Episode 5, hitting TTFC on 5/12:
    “The Goddess of Creation and the Third Singularity”

https://youtu.be/Cl2-BvDiuTs?si=yROsCcWc66bciC1x

ms844xmvdkoj.jpeg
    Kamen Rider Zero-Three

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Love the V3 homage

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 7
    Love the V3 homage

Something about the implementation feels a bit more The Next than OG V3, especially in that YT thumbnail, but same

EDIT: are they reusing Jin’s weapon? I’m trying to place where that prop is from

EDIT: yep, definitely a Slashriser

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    And then in the video it looks like he’s using the Thousand Jacker and of course the Hopper Blade, so I’m guessing he can access any of the weapons

Probably no hope of a SHF huh

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    And then in the video it looks like he’s using the Thousand Jacker and of course the Hopper Blade, so I’m guessing he can access any of the weapons

Probably no hope of a SHF huh

Maybe a P-Bandai exclusive in two years

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 7
    Another shot
    8yjpf5sab11f.png

Looks like it heavily reuses Eden’s suit, but I like this implementation better than the original

The driver is definitely kind of front heavy by the time all that upgrade stuff gets bolted on

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Finally finished Geats after many delays. Mostly loved it but I still dislike Beat as Nago's primary buckle.

Felt more like Fantasy was meant to be her's as it matches her gold helmet a whole lot better than Beat does, but I suppose maybe Fantasy is her "upgrade" one like Black General or Demon King.

The final fight was fuckin' crazy tho.
    loved all the teamwork stuff like Tycoon sliding the poison thingy up on Buffa's chainsaw while he's locked in place by the bad guy. So good.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Tsubaraya’s now licensed the dub of Shin Ultraman to Chicken Soup for the Soul Entertainment to stream free on their, well, Free Movies YouTube Channel:

https://youtu.be/SoYqbvcE3zo?feature=shared

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Kamen Rider Agito and Kamen Rider Faiz are now freed from TOKUHD exclusivity and are now on the streamer “FreeTV”… in their English (Agito) and Spanish (Faiz) dubs.

https://www.freetv.com/shows/kamen-rider-agito

https://www.freetv.com/es/shows/kamen-rider-faiz-555

🤷‍♀️

waNkm4k.jpg?1