Options

[Tokusatsu] RIP Carranger/DonBros actress Yuka Motohashi

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Probably a dumb question but what is Zero-One’s ultimate form?
    hcyt4q112o7f.png

zero-two! he
    shares it with his robot girlfriend :)

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Zero-one was such a fun idea for a series narred but both COVID and a terrible act 2 (thousers arc just plain sucks).

Real shame, because having the first ever non binary rider, played by a non binary accept to boot is cool as fuck. As is a lot of it's thematic ideas and suit design

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Zero-one was such a fun idea for a series narred but both COVID and a terrible act 2 (thousers arc just plain sucks).

Real shame, because having the first ever non binary rider, played by a non binary accept to boot is cool as fuck. As is a lot of it's thematic ideas and suit design

As a quick note, Nakayama identifies as a trans man now; his character Naki is still non-binary though

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Lanz wrote: »

As a quick note, Nakayama identifies as a trans man now; his character Naki is still non-binary though

Oh cool! Very happy for him, he was awesome as Naki - I hope he keeps getting sweet roles

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    getting so little actual time in the ikazuchi and naki suits was a big complaint i had by the end

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    getting so little actual time in the ikazuchi and naki suits was a big complaint i had by the end

Yeah, you'd think they'd be getting some real use and spotlight in the MJ's 01thers film but nope. That and it's sequel were just sadness all around.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Probably a dumb question but what is Zero-One’s ultimate form?
    hcyt4q112o7f.png

zero-two! he
    shares it with his robot girlfriend :)

That’s what I assumed, but I wasn’t quite sure since that form kinda shifted to another user like you said, and also since “Realizing” form technically exists

That’s still my favorite then, it’s just so sleek, and a cool homage to Kamen Rider 2

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Owenashi wrote: »

Yeah, you'd think they'd be getting some real use and spotlight in the MJ's 01thers film but nope. That and it's sequel were just sadness all around.

I’m still wondering/hoping
    That Zein is somehow MJ forming a gestalt consciousness in the net. I have no idea where they’d have found the time or ability to upload themselves into the wider net with everything that happened in 01hers, but dammit Zero-One give me this, give me this

Also fuck if Frontier is a damn good track: https://youtu.be/P36LY6X5OyA

Say what you will about how it all plays out, but like that last sequence, while this is playing, and we linger over it with the credits is just such an emotionally resonant moment.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Sounds like I can give Regulos a pass for now at least. Maybe I'll watch it because the episodes are short though.

5 episodes into Ultraman Z and it's kind of awesome? I was really not expecting to like it from the recaps I saw in the Generation episodes. But so far it's great! Lots of classic Ultraman kaiju, good jokes, and excellent miniature and camera work especially during fights

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Ultraman Z is wonderful. I feel lucky and kind of cursed that it was my first Ultraman. It's so great, it spurred me to watch a bunch of other Ultras since, but I haven't enjoyed them quite as much as I did Z. But I've still enjoyed them quite a bit.

• Options
    I ASK THAT YOU CHANT MY NAME

ULTRAMAN… ZETT!!

I hadn’t watched Orb before Z started running, so everything with
    Juggler
    was even more of a trip

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Z is my 13th (?) Ultraman series. At least it is if we're counting the Australian ones in that total.

I don't think it's my favorite yet, but it's certainly up there. And it has plenty of time to try and take the spot. I think it'll be hard to dethrone Tiga though.

I also haven't watched Orb yet, but I knew about that character because of the Generations series that's running right now. Still pretty crazy stuff though. And I'm excited to see what they're actually up to

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Z is my 13th (?) Ultraman series. At least it is if we're counting the Australian ones in that total.

I don't think it's my favorite yet, but it's certainly up there. And it has plenty of time to try and take the spot. I think it'll be hard to dethrone Tiga though.

I also haven't watched Orb yet, but I knew about that character because of the Generations series that's running right now. Still pretty crazy stuff though. And I'm excited to see what they're actually up to

Great shows up in Ultra Galaxy Fight, so it totally counts

Hell, the Hannah-Barbera developed cartoon pilot, “Ultraman USA” counts, since it’s Ultras showed up in Destined Crossroad.

Ultraman Multiverse is wild. In Taiga, Ultraman Titas hails from U40, The Not-Ancient-Greece planet that Joneus, the Ultra of the The Ultraman Anime Series from the 80s, is from, effectively making him an inter dimensional immigrant who crossed realities to join the main universe’s Intergalactic Defense Force, which canonically has begun sending Ultras into other realities to protect them and forge bonds between them.

In Ultraman Trigger
    Haruki from his universe shows up along with Z (who himself was from the main universe instead of Haruki’s) and team up to help Z, along with Ribut also visiting to help out when the Absolutians cross over from the main universe into Trigger’s

So yeah, basically every series counts and is canonical, and Ultras will regularly cross over from one reality to the next as writers deem fit. Truly, Ace’s deepest wish is embodied in his fellow Ultras.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Tonight is the night
    bcn6t1cmnnvu.jpeg

Pretty excited!

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Tonight is the night
    bcn6t1cmnnvu.jpeg

Pretty excited!

[technically not the only night, dependent on area]

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Tonight is the night
    bcn6t1cmnnvu.jpeg

Pretty excited!

[technically not the only night, dependent on area]

I think it's the only night Regal has it, other places seem to be getting it on the second day. (All further away than Regal, so I'm good with seeing it there tonight.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Just saw it, pros and cons:
    +
    The visuals are GORGEOUS, love the creative villain and Kamen Rider designs.
    Fantastic music and VFX.

-
    The editing is absurd. Flying all over the map, with impossible to follow action. Some of the wild zoom-ins are fun, and I like the cinematography, but the editing feels like it was done by a drunk kitten rolling around on the setup.
    Some villains really get the short end of the stick and off-screen deaths, especially Scorpion Aug, but boy did she love that role.
    The ending, blech. What a cheap setup for a sequel. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I expected more of a resolution.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    This was an AMC I just saw it at tonight

This was my favorite Shin movie out of the three but Kamen Rider is my thing anyway sooo

But it was super fun, similar to Shin Ultraman, lots of homages and near scene for scene shots. Some cool little extras after the credits. Oh and no initial ads or trailers, this thing started right at the listed showtime, so be aware

I need it to release on bluray

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Okay, episode 14 of Ultraman Z is one of the best episodes of Ultraman that I've seen. I've been digging this series a ton. But having both
    the Bullton and Haruki meeting his dad are pushing it over the top.

I still don't think this is my favorite series, but it's pushing closer and closer. Certainly it's in the top 5. I'm really glad I watched all of the Showa series so that I get to enjoy all of the old monsters returning. I could also see it being fun to have Z be the first Ultraman to watch and then going back to the original to see where things came from though.

BreakfastPM on
  • Options
    Okay, episode 14 of Ultraman Z is one of the best episodes of Ultraman that I've seen. I've been digging this series a ton. But having both
    the Bullton and Haruki meeting his dad are pushing it over the top.

I still don't think this is my favorite series, but it's pushing closer and closer. Certainly it's in the top 5. I'm really glad I watched all of the Showa series so that I get to enjoy all of the old monsters returning. I could also see it being fun to have Z be the first Ultraman to watch and then going back to the original to see where things came from though.

I absolutely love that arc, and Haruki having to learn to grapple with what it means to make that kind of mistake, and to take a then intractable tragedy and try to become better from it.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Saw Shin Kamen Rider. Unfortunately for my tastes, it took much more after Shin Ultraman than Shin Godzilla. In that it was kind of "the scenes and storylines superfans already love, with a bigger budget and maybe some twists or changeups here and there." Watching as a non-fan, it comes off as a TV compilation film, and I have literally NEVER liked one of those. Instead of redoing a TV show with a pace that doesn't work well for a movie, they should have... made a movie instead. The combat style in this was both the most enjoyable part and also the thing that really kept it from taking off fully. The camera work could best be described as "frequently incomprehensible" and the lighting could frequently be described as "absent." The endless disrespect for the laws of physics would have been a bit more fun if there was more of a Studio Trigger logic to it (if you charge up a punch, it punches SUPER HARD!), instead of seemingly no logic at all.

Spoiler discussion
    The super violent opening fight writes a check that the rest of the movie SUPER does not cash. When Ruriko dies, we don't even see a wound, or blood! The Rider Kick that defeats the Spider guy is satisfyingly impactful, but the rest of the movie comes off as super cartoonish with no impact pretty much after that point. The scorpion girl is killed offscreen as a joke? The body disposal thing came off to me as an asset save you'd see in a Ps2 game, more than a lore thing.

And my biggest complaint, the whole theme of "the bad guys actually want to make a Utopia" seems extremely poorly served by the villains and plots on offer. Guy number 1, "I'm gonna make a huge plague... for REASONS!" Girl number 2, "I just like stabbing people to death! I don't even have an ethos!" I don't doubt that the original show or manga delves more into how things went wrong or how the Mega Man X boss villains serve any kind of purpose, but the movie completely failed to deliver this idea. Which was... the main theme? Not a good thing to fail.

Finally, I totally get how the demands of a longer running TV show or manga would make it appealing to occasionally kill off the lead and then progress to a new (cheaper/younger) actor to keep the story going. In a movie... you introduced a new copycat character with a weird attitude and then killed off all the main characters of the film without resolving their storylines in the slightest. This is... really bad? Imagine if the last 40 minutes of a Bourne movie was "Jason gets shot in the face, then one of the assassins sent to kill him decides to also fight against the spy agency and we're supposed to accept them as the protagonist."

I wish all three movies were like Shin Godzilla, in the sense of "let's interpret this material in a very new way, take a bunch of risks, and make it a stand alone film for a new era." Instead of "let's get a bigger budget to do fanservice and not worry about other stuff!" of the latter two Shin movies.

• Options
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Shin Kamen Rider
    I enjoyed it, but its kind of a bad movie.
    The nostalgia reference hits work well. Use of the music and sound effects throughout. Good style.
    But it's let down by some really bad editing/fight choreography. There's some sequences that are just impossible to tell what exactly is going on. It had a weird covid filming feel of no one being in the same place at times. And the plotting has that nebulous compilation movie feel to it when its not really compiling an existing thing. Which if I wanted to be super overly generous I could argue is an homage to the old Kamen Rider movie episodes.

Spider fight was the best mapped out. Worked really well.
    Liked the little touches like shocker agents in fishnets, his leg wound causes Hayato to have to step in. I liked Hayato in general really.
    Amused they kept the disintegrate into soap bubbles.
    Chamelon/Mantis is a good shout out to the Gelshocker era of multiple source monsters complete with garish costume.
    Liked the end arc of multiple rider fight mirroring the show but it's one of the worst fights to follow once it gets going. choppy editing, pitch black and cg heavy.
    I know the final fight bit was supposed to be like exhausted desperate struggling, but it went on long for the way they were shooting it and it started to just seem goofy.
    Curious what opinions on the subtitles end up being. Some of the coversations seemed stilted which I wasn't sure if it was just Anno philosophy ramble or the translation choices.

• Options
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Shin Kamen Rider
    I enjoyed it, but its kind of a bad movie.
    The nostalgia reference hits work well. Use of the music and sound effects throughout. Good style.
    But it's let down by some really bad editing/fight choreography. There's some sequences that are just impossible to tell what exactly is going on. It had a weird covid filming feel of no one being in the same place at times. And the plotting has that nebulous compilation movie feel to it when its not really compiling an existing thing. Which if I wanted to be super overly generous I could argue is an homage to the old Kamen Rider movie episodes.

Spider fight was the best mapped out. Worked really well.
    Liked the little touches like shocker agents in fishnets, his leg wound causes Hayato to have to step in. I liked Hayato in general really.
    Amused they kept the disintegrate into soap bubbles.
    Chamelon/Mantis is a good shout out to the Gelshocker era of multiple source monsters complete with garish costume.
    Liked the end arc of multiple rider fight mirroring the show but it's one of the worst fights to follow once it gets going. choppy editing, pitch black and cg heavy.
    I know the final fight bit was supposed to be like exhausted desperate struggling, but it went on long for the way they were shooting it and it started to just seem goofy.
    Curious what opinions on the subtitles end up being. Some of the coversations seemed stilted which I wasn't sure if it was just Anno philosophy ramble or the translation choices.

I thought the translation was fine, apart from some odd localization choices, like 'I'll never forgive you!' as 'I'm mad salty!' and 'sama' as 'Ms.' instead of something more formal like 'Lady'. (I'm all for localizing honorifics, mind, but do it properly.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Missed opportunity for a "Damn you Shocker" in there somewhere.

• Options
    edited June 2023
    So what are y’all’s thoughts on the chromakey and LED wall work they’re doing with KingOhger this year?

I saw this post by SentaiFive on twitter and while I get the idea, I feel like I’m this instance, they’re not doing it because of time or budget restrictions on this sequence:

By making them do this on a green screen like this, you’ve unmoored the actors from their physical space and create a clear discontinuity between the people and the space.

And that can be pretty bad when you want this to feel real, which is what the technique is typically used for: a cost effective way to create a stage that you can’t do physically for whatever reason

But here, they very much arent doing that. From the jump, they immediately start playing with space/spatial relationships and perspective; they’re deliberately playing into a sense of surreality with how the two here move and relate between each other and their environment, in a way that would be much harder, if not impossible, if you were to take this into a real life field and shoot. While you can certainly shoot perspective to achieve some of this, doing it “real” would ground them and be unable to replicate the surreal nature of what we see here, especially with how fluid their physical comedy is. And because you already have the discontinuity between the actors and the space, it makes it that much easier to then start further pushing that discontinuity in the action, so you can have the various distance shifts, size changes, etc.

In a way, it’s the kind of technique you would usually only see in 2D animation, because it inherently allows that kind of abstraction. And so by using a “cheap” green screen background, these three dimensional actors now can play in the freedom normally only enabled by that same abstraction, compressing them into this kind of liminal space between the two where illusion has more power.

It’s interesting and to me really feels like it’s a great exploration of Tokusatsu sensibilities; instead of just using CG, chromakey and visual effects to replicate a set you can’t build for real, you take those and create a cinematic space that you can’t readily, if at all, achieve in using a physical set or location shot because of the way we process that physicality and the way it grounds everything within it.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Ultraman Z was so good that I watched all of it in a week. Haven't done that for an Ultraman series in a while. It's probably, technically, the best series I've watched; but I have such a love for the old Showa era miniatures and monsters that I can't say it's my #1. Everything about Z was fantastic though. The story, jokes, fights, characters, miniatures... All amazing.

I'm watching Taiga now and enjoying it for vastly different reasons. I know it came out only four years ago, but for some reason it gives me a very strong late 90s vibe. And I've got a lot of nostalgia for things that I watched as a kid back then like Power Rangers, Kamen Rider Black, VR Troopers, Big Bad Beetleborgs, and the Australian Ultraman. Taiga definitely isn't as good as Z, but I'm having fun with it and what it's doing nonetheless

• Options
    So what are y’all’s thoughts on the chromakey and LED wall work they’re doing with KingOhger this year?

I saw this post by SentaiFive on twitter and while I get the idea, I feel like I’m this instance, they’re not doing it because of time or budget restrictions on this sequence:

By making them do this on a green screen like this, you’ve unmoored the actors from their physical space and create a clear discontinuity between the people and the space.

And that can be pretty bad when you want this to feel real, which is what the technique is typically used for: a cost effective way to create a stage that you can’t do physically for whatever reason

But here, they very much arent doing that. From the jump, they immediately start playing with space/spatial relationships and perspective; they’re deliberately playing into a sense of surreality with how the two here move and relate between each other and their environment, in a way that would be much harder, if not impossible, if you were to take this into a real life field and shoot. While you can certainly shoot perspective to achieve some of this, doing it “real” would ground them and be unable to replicate the surreal nature of what we see here, especially with how fluid their physical comedy is. And because you already have the discontinuity between the actors and the space, it makes it that much easier to then start further pushing that discontinuity in the action, so you can have the various distance shifts, size changes, etc.

In a way, it’s the kind of technique you would usually only see in 2D animation, because it inherently allows that kind of abstraction. And so by using a “cheap” green screen background, these three dimensional actors now can play in the freedom normally only enabled by that same abstraction, compressing them into this kind of liminal space between the two where illusion has more power.

It’s interesting and to me really feels like it’s a great exploration of Tokusatsu sensibilities; instead of just using CG, chromakey and visual effects to replicate a set you can’t build for real, you take those and create a cinematic space that you can’t readily, if at all, achieve in using a physical set or location shot because of the way we process that physicality and the way it grounds everything within it.

I think a lot of it has been pretty iffy/bad - The weekly nature of Sentai/rider stuff just does not lend itself to good cg.

This case though, like yeah it looks a bit off, but it's absolutely not going for realism and is playing hard at some real life cartooning

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    at long last, i can free the brave little toaster from the disney vault

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    hongo takeshi welcome to kingdom hearts 4

• Options
    hongo takeshi welcome to kingdom hearts 4

From what I've gathered of that series...

Yeah, it'd work

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Segata Sanshiro is already in Project X Zone.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Segata Sanshiro is already in Project X Zone.

Don’t forget when a live variety/stage show revealed Sanshiro had been a facade of Hongo’s all that time:

https://youtu.be/ge_GUxaxDgs

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    https://youtu.be/EF0H6sCUCWE

New Blazar trailer!

[note there is a typo in the title; the series is next month, not this month]

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options

Even if you are a King, you may not touch the Display Moffun

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2023
    Friend of mine saw this figure in a store and was wondering who the character was and what show they're from because of the (vaguely) trans flag colors, any of y'all know?

IMG_0585.jpg

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Friend of mine saw this figure in a store and was wondering who the character was and what show they're from because of the (vaguely) trans flag colors, any of y'all know?

IMG_0585.jpg

Ikki Igarashi/Kamen Rider Revi from Kamen Rider Revice (2021)

https://youtu.be/j675jsx5Sqs

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1